Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What is your favorite Dark Forces level?

Page: 1 of 1
 merlinova
05-28-2003, 3:26 PM
See topic above...
Mine is the rescue of Crix Madine...:D
 ewok mercenary
05-28-2003, 5:42 PM
Rescuing Crix Madine is one of my favourites but l've always liked Ramsees Hed myself.
 Jeff 42
05-28-2003, 7:51 PM
Most of the levels here (http://www.df-21.net/hall.shtml).
 Katarn07
05-28-2003, 8:04 PM
Hmmm.

They each have their own feel to them, so they're all unique and it is hard to choose. In JO, levels got a bit repetitious with the bland, SWish texturing.

I think I can get bored easily in DF when I'm stuck in some gray cooridors or something...

In other words, I love them all.
 Geoffrey S
05-29-2003, 7:46 AM
From the original game it'd have to be Talay Tak Base. From add-on scene I'm with Jeff 42, with the addition of Beyond Glory 2 and Assassination on Nar Shaddaa.
 MilesTeg
05-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Level 1, Operation Skyhook: Secret Base :D
I love the whole idea and gameplay of this tiny level and the relatively big secret area.
The only level I played a trillion times... and I still like it!

Talay Tak had the best atmosphere (maybe itґs because of that stunning intro)

I liked all levels except level edit: 2 -yup, I meant the sewers/level 3 - ... just too dirty ;)
edit: AND I couldnґt find a way through all those pipes...2
 Geoffrey S
05-29-2003, 12:14 PM
MilesTeg, I presume you mean you didn't like level 3?
I felt Secret Base had the tightest and most modern design compared to the other levels. Talay had the best atmosphere by far. The only really weak levels I thought were Jabba's Ship and Ramses Hed.
 ewok mercenary
05-29-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Geoffrey S
The only really weak levels I thought were Jabba's Ship and Ramses Hed.

Ah, I suppose that shows how good my taste in levels is...
 The_One
05-29-2003, 1:26 PM
I think they are all brilliant - if you compare them to modern levels, nothing can compare.

Can you honestly remember every single JO level - for one reason or another? You can with Dark Forces - every one is unique, and they are all great. You can also apply this to JK and MOTS, but not JO and other more modern games. They just seemed to lose it with JKII, and I fear JA will be more of the same.
 Jeff 42
05-29-2003, 1:57 PM
From the original game it'd have to be Talay Tak Base. From add-on scene I'm with Jeff 42, with the addition of Beyond Glory 2 and Assassination on Nar Shaddaa.
Yeah, I would definitely include BG2, and probably AoNS as well if I could get through the whole thing without it crashing. :(

From the original game my favorites are probably Detention Center, Imperial City, and Arc Hammer.
 merlinova
05-29-2003, 1:57 PM
I was also rather fond of level 10, the one where you fight Boba Fett (very intricate puzzle in this level)...
 The Count
05-30-2003, 9:57 AM
Jabbas ship really impressed me, I think JA may be like JO however, it appears that Raven are taking alot of notes from Outcast's weaknesses, and I have to say the first few levels of Outcast without the Lightsabre made me feel as if I was back in Dark Forces.
 merlinova
05-30-2003, 4:08 PM
I liked Jabba's ship because it wasn't boxy...
It was curvy enough to make you dizzy in a way.
 Geoffrey S
05-30-2003, 4:35 PM
But it didn't feel even remotely like a ship, at all. More like a whole bunch of random rooms stuck together. Sure, the architecture wasn't bad, but if it doesn't feel like the setting it's supposed to be all the architecture in the world won't help make it a good level.
 Katarn07
05-30-2003, 9:29 PM
But it didn't feel even remotely like a ship, at all. More like a whole bunch of random rooms stuck together. Sure, the architecture wasn't bad, but if it doesn't feel like the setting it's supposed to be all the architecture in the world won't help make it a good level.

I liked how they didn't strive for so much realism. It'd restrain the possibilities.

The bars were a bit over the top though... :rolleyes:
 Geoffrey S
05-31-2003, 9:43 AM
Taking some liberties with realism is fine by me; but in Jabba's ship they just went too far. A completely illogical design, rooms with no visible way of getting a Kell Dragon in, the bit at the end with no other way of getting in aside from dropping through a hole in the ceiling, nothing showing that the place is actually a ship (cockpit, proper exterior, that sort of thing). It might have worked if they'd called it anything other than a ship, perhaps some kind of hidden asteroid base or something. But as it was it wasn't at all convincing. Similar complaints count for the Executor, but less bad in that case.
 Katarn07
05-31-2003, 12:49 PM
Well, when you're in 5th grade, you don't think about those things... (I still don't though, but that's just because I know that level so well, altering it seems upsurd).

And the team said it is making it more realistic, and I imagine that means getting outta there with Jan to the Crow. In order to do so, I'm sure you'd have to go to the cockpit to unlock the docking clamps...

Also, there is a way in there. If you "use" the wall, a door hidden opens and it is an elevator taking you up a level a bit before the holding cells. Why they hid it is beyond me. It serves no purpose...
 Jediman2009
06-02-2003, 2:15 AM
I really like the one level (I forgot what it is cuz I havnt played it in liek 3 years even though we still have the guide) that it is all icy and snowy. It is fusing tho cuz the tunnels and ahh it was fusing but it was cool. And I happened to be reading the strategy guide today and they were talking about a certain Speed Mode... what is this? I dont remember a speed mode but then again I havnt played it in a long time so yeah.. But thanks for answering me if u read this.
 The_One
06-02-2003, 8:15 AM
Speed Mode? Maybe holding "shift" down to run faster?

Apart from that, I don't recall any other type of "Speed Mode".
 Geoffrey S
06-02-2003, 12:03 PM
Either shift, or it's referring to a Mac only cheat. If you type LAOZ you end up in Dorothy mode, where all sound effects and music speed up and characters shrink to tiny proportions.
 Jediman2009
06-02-2003, 2:14 PM
Ok Thnx :D
 ImmolatedYoda
06-04-2003, 3:01 AM
Originally posted by The_One
I think they are all brilliant - if you compare them to modern levels, nothing can compare.

Can you honestly remember every single JO level - for one reason or another? You can with Dark Forces - every one is unique, and they are all great. You can also apply this to JK and MOTS, but not JO and other more modern games. They just seemed to lose it with JKII, and I fear JA will be more of the same.

i have an opinion on why you feel that way about the JO levels. in Dark Forces, you had a set mission for each level, and each level was labeled "Talay: Tak Base" or something. in JO, its like each DF level is taken and split into 4 or so different sections (Doomgiver, Yavin, etc.). i realize this may be because of the graphics restrictions or something else, but none of the levels are all too memorable from JO.

however, i remember just about every level from every game ive ever played so...:D
 reaper1576
06-04-2003, 8:54 AM
the level with all the snow where u had the moving platforms was realy good i hated the sewers could never find my way hated that level i remember one level where you had to get passed all these blast doors that was on a timer you had to run throught them as fast as possible to get throught i cant wait to see Imperial City level from you guys i remember the level roughtly now god ust be getting old lol i remember play away at Dark Forces on my old P75 16meg
 Silent_Thunder
06-05-2003, 5:09 AM
Oh man... so many good Dark Forces levels... This thread brings back alot of fond memories.

Anyways... I thought all the levels were extreemly well designed and with the perfect atmosphere but there were some that just stuck out above all the others in my opinion:

Imperial City and The Detention Center probably take the cake for the best level design in my humble opinion. Both were pretty long and logically laid out I thought. They also had the best combination of different environments, enemies, puzzles etc I thought. Overall they were some of my most memorable experiances from DFs. I also thought the first level, Secret Base had the best level design as in the most realistic, while still allowing cool areas without realism being bent too far... Also the secret area was extreemly cool aswell. However, Secret Base was alittle too short for me to really consider it as one of the best architectual levels.

Talay Tak Base, Robotics Facility, and to a lesser extent Ramshes Head all had the most amazingly distinct atmospheres I've ever seen in a video game. All three of them really stood out uniquely from any other level I've played in any game in the Dark Forces series, but at the same time, they all retained that certain Star Wars flavor that I think some of the newer SW games are lacking. I mean, that part in the Robotics Facility when you first fight a Phase 2 Dark Trooper was so classic (with the ESB glowing pipes and all :)) that I remember it as well as any part in any of the movies. Talay Tak Base just had an erie feel to it that made it so cool. It was also one of those levels where you could really feel that the good guys were losing, and that you'd better watch your step instead of just running in with guns blazing (even though that's pretty much how you fought in DF :)). Ramshes Head also had those really cool white walls that always remind me of ANH... It just felt completely at home in the Star Wars universe I thought... even though the level design wasn't quite as good as some others.

There were alot of other really good levels too... The Executer, level 4 (its name escapes me at the moment) Gromas Mines, and the Arc Hammer that all had a good balance of level design, difficulty and atmosphere.

Even though all the levels are very good even by todays standards in DFs I still thought some of them were only average when compared with some of the great DFs levels. Levels like Narshadaa, Jabaas ship, The Sewers, and that one Fuel level which I can't remember right now. They were pretty good, but didn't really stand out too much and didn't have as compeling level layouts... Although the Sewer level had a pretty good atmposphere I thought... Well, a bad one, but in a good way :).

I also thought that JK1 retained the same uniques for each level like DFs had though not quite to the same extent. It began to get lost in MotS though, and JO had the least distinct levels I thought. On the other hand though; I thought that the first 2 levels of JO had the most DFs feel of any sequal to DFs yet... even more so than JK. But despite those 2 levels I thought the rest had less logical level design and less of a Star Warsy feel as Dark Forces.
 StormHammer
06-05-2003, 10:02 AM
I liked most of the levels in DF. I too thought Jabba's ship and Ramsees Hed were a bit weak, though. The ship just didn't feel like a ship, and Ramsees didn't feel right in terms of gameplay (hence my reason for starting that thread).

Anyway, you're right in that I can remember a lot of the levels in DF without really thinking. They each had their own different look and feel, and my favourites are probably Anteevy, Gromas, Talay and Danuta. :)
 Jeff 42
06-05-2003, 2:39 PM
As I sort of hinted at in my earlier post, anyone who really wants to play the best DF levels needs to go to df-21.net and download some of the Hall of Fame add-on levels there and play them. :)
Page: 1 of 1