Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How long more to next release?

Page: 1 of 1
 UDM
05-03-2003, 12:57 PM
Can't wait, the wait is killing me...

And how many % is ASv2 done?
 razorace
05-03-2003, 4:13 PM
I'm say that ASv2 is about 40% done. As for the next release, we're aimming for before the June 1st.
 UDM
05-03-2003, 9:41 PM
Oh so during release, how many % should ASv2 be done?
 razorace
05-03-2003, 9:55 PM
100%. The game won't run right otherwise. :)
 UDM
05-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Will the next release mouse sabering and manual blocking then?
 razorace
05-04-2003, 5:43 PM
Yep.
 Belgirion
05-08-2003, 6:15 PM
Mouse Sabering? YES! Ever since Obi-Wan for the PC was cancelled I thought I'd never see something like the glyph system happen...w00t! :D :D :D
 UDM
05-09-2003, 10:23 AM
Ok razor I've just checked your website and it reported that you have already compiled the first ASv2. Does this mean R3/R4 will be out either tomorrow or the day after?
 razorace
05-10-2003, 4:33 PM
no, no. It's still only like 50% done.
 UDM
05-12-2003, 8:55 AM
Well, 12 May. Any progress? How many % complete?
 Alesh
05-18-2003, 8:33 AM
I just read the MotF website and saw the new about the cancellation of MotF...

So i wanted to ask: will there be another release or will it stay as it is?
 razorace
05-18-2003, 2:13 PM
Probably as is. The improved animation system I whipped up will simply run like crap without the nessicary client<->server data...which isn't possible with some slight changes in the engine code.
 Code
05-19-2003, 5:52 AM
:ball:

can u elaborate on the problem?

your passing anim data ?
:eek: y?

it must b a sick joke or something

motf cancelled ? *hearth attack*

<- wants to help
u know where to get me ;)
 reaper1576
05-19-2003, 9:08 AM
sorry to hear that so could the be MOTF for JA when it comes out? Any way thanks for a cool mod
 razorace
05-19-2003, 4:08 PM
yeah, it's possible. I want the project to be completed but it's not possible with the current state of the engine. To make the nessicary animation additions to make the animation system (to make it truely accurate/usable) requires about 4 more data slots in the entityState_t for all the players.

I've been told by Rich @ Raven that there will be open slots in the entity/player state stuff so we can mod it in JKA. I might get back into it then or not.

Unfortunately, working on MotF does get me anywhere because of all the copyright stuff involved. There's a lot of stuff I want to do with the game that would result in a entirely new game instead of a simple mod. I'm also at the point that I'm wanting to mess with engine code but can't without the actual engine code.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-19-2003, 11:22 PM
Sorry to hear dude.
Here's hoping JA has the goods for you...

(I'm assuming you meant to say 'doesnt' get you anywhere in your post...)

Their's only a couple of mods to my knowledge that have actually gone on to be sold outright (CS and DoD - are there any others I don't know about?)
So I don't think it's really worth getting into modding with the solid idea of making money out of the mod itself.
Yeah - it's the dream - but that's what it will stay for 99% of us!
(Obviously it's just hobby territory for me!)

But didn't you say you were being looked at for a games programming job? Was that because someone noticed your mod? If so, I would say it's possible your mod could very well help get you somewhere...

Tell ya what - I wish I had looked into games programming when I was younger!
I could try and move into it now, but I'd have to take a nasty pay-cut to work my way in. So I think I'm gonna have to stick to the boring MFC GUI stuff now! (Well, it's not THAT boring really - but you know what I mean :) )

Anyway - good luck with your future projects man :)
 razorace
05-20-2003, 1:41 AM
sorry about that. I don't exactly proofread all my typing due to the fact that proofreading SUXS! :D

Anyway, yeah, I understand that the chances of MotF going retail is null. I meant incorperating the ideas I came up with for MotF into a retail game. Some sort of melee weapon combat game or something. But that's something in the far future I imagine.

Gotta go!
 UDM
05-21-2003, 12:42 PM
*hums the Ghostbuster's theme song*

If there's something strange
in the JK2 code
Who ya gonna blame?
RAVENSOFT!
 razorace
05-21-2003, 7:54 PM
nah, it's more of an id software issue. When they made the engine, they didn't externalize the client<->server code.
 reaper1576
05-21-2003, 10:54 PM
so its basicly a networking side how the protacols talk hope they add more support
 ASk
05-24-2003, 4:21 AM
Basically, the messages between client and server are semi-hardcoded, and to change them, you need to change the msg.c, which is part of the engine, and therefore not available to us. Since the engine expects the network packets to arrive in certain order and contain data of a certain type/size, modifying the entitystate / playerstate is not feasible. The engine will ignore the extra packets and this will lead to prediction errors, crashes and general instability (since when you ask the server to fill your *state, unfilled places will have some undefined value, which was there in the memory)
 Dante_CL
05-31-2003, 12:01 PM
Ahh ic i hope it work out that would be great
 recombinant
06-02-2003, 9:40 PM
Sorry for more OT discussion, but...

Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk
Tell ya what - I wish I had looked into games programming when I was younger!
I could try and move into it now, but I'd have to take a nasty pay-cut to work my way in. So I think I'm gonna have to stick to the boring MFC GUI stuff now! (Well, it's not THAT boring really - but you know what I mean :) )

Man, I totally I feel your pain, Renegade. I'm basically in the same boat - got a well established position in a software company (doing VB6/COM-based business apps), a family, etc.

So trying to break into the game programming world at this point in my life is basically just a pipe dream. However, I have really enjoyed working on the DF mod, and I'm looking forward to see what new projects the future will bring with JA or some of the other game engines that will be coming out in the future.

At least here at my place of employment we're moving to Java, which will break the monotony. I'm ready to move on to something different!!!

:sbdance

BTW, razorace, I'm sorry your project won't be fully realized with the JO engine. Many of us are getting not a little bit frustrated with its inherent limitations. Hopefully JA will be a much more positive experience....

Keep up the vision and the great work!!!
 reaper1576
06-02-2003, 11:00 PM
jedistone try going the network enginer route its enougth to drive you insane
 recombinant
06-02-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by reaper1576
jedistone try going the network enginer route its enougth to drive you insane

LOL. Thanks, but I think I'll pass on that one...

;)
 razorace
06-03-2003, 1:03 AM
Originally posted by JediStone
BTW, razorace, I'm sorry your project won't be fully realized with the JO engine. Many of us are getting not a little bit frustrated with its inherent limitations. Hopefully JA will be a much more positive experience....

Keep up the vision and the great work!!!

I will, I imagine a lot of the concepts we came up for MotF will end up in some projects in the future. :)
 Kstar__2
06-11-2003, 4:14 PM
:crybaby: that's too bad to hear, i was looking forward to this mod, i loved playing all the beta's :(
 UDM
06-12-2003, 7:45 AM
Damn why do I have the sudden urge to bomb ravensoft's email...
 razorace
06-12-2003, 10:25 AM
Nah, don't blame Raven. They're not the ones who put all the client<->server control code inside the engine code. But they have told me that they plan to put a work around in for us modders.

And, yes, techically the animation system is their problem, however, it does work fine for what they are doing with it....I just need more. :D
 UDM
06-12-2003, 10:33 AM
So basically, will the animation system be able to be imported into JA? Or will you need to start afresh?

I mean seriously, this is one whole new game! Using the mouse to control the saber...it's like VSIM brought into a Star Wars game. You guys ought to talk about it with the Raven guys, might be able to squeeze out a contract of some sort. Maybe with the new animation system on JA, we can have really awesome skill-duels
 razorace
06-12-2003, 11:46 AM
While I'd love to do something like that, LEC (and by connection Raven) doesn't accept outside purposals for legal reasons.

I'm sure if Raven was interested they'd contact me first. However, I don't think it would fit into their current design plan for JKA anyway.

Personally, I'm thinking that the MotF vision is too big for JK2 or JKA and deserves a full game of its own. Obviously something outside of the Star Wars universe and hopefully in a form where I could work on it as an actual job. Probably medival swordfighting or something.

But that would be something in the long term. I simply don't have the resources/team to be able to do a project like that at the moment. It wouldn't take too much but a little is still more than I got at the moment. :) The hard part would be getting a quality team set up. Frankly, I've yet to meet the people that would have the skills and motivation for such a project.

As for the animation system I cooked up. It totally depends on what the JKA system is like. According to my contact in Raven, they've done some major retooling to it so my code may or may not be needed.

If MotF is continued in JKA, it will be from scratch with some possible cut-and-pasting with sections that don't need to be improved much (Like the True View code).
 reaper1576
06-12-2003, 11:04 PM
sorry off topic your last three posts sort of repeat them selfs or is it me up to late again and in need of sleep
 razorace
06-13-2003, 5:26 PM
Doh! I think it took my edits as new posts or something. Weird. I'll fix it.
 The Cheat
06-21-2003, 3:07 PM
could you make a profit off of a mod? i know mods like counterstrike and day of defeat are now sold in retail, could that happen with you guys or would you have to use original ideas and keep it outside the star wars universe?
 razorace
06-22-2003, 3:33 AM
Well, unfortunately, you have to get "noticed" by the parent company for them to even consider allowing a commerical version of a mod. In this case, the legal situation is very complicated as multiple parties have interests. LEC owns Star Wars and Raven owns the game.

Anyway, yes, we could take the MotF concepts and put them in a non-Star Wars game, but I'd need an dedicated team of game developers to even attempt such a thing. As I don't have the kind of money to form such a team, it's not going to happen anytime soon.
 UDM
06-22-2003, 8:28 AM
Originally posted by razorace
Well, unfortunately, you have to get "noticed" by the parent company for them to even consider allowing a commerical version of a mod. In this case, the legal situation is very complicated as multiple parties have interests. LEC owns Star Wars and Raven owns the game.

Anyway, yes, we could take the MotF concepts and put them in a non-Star Wars game, but I'd need an dedicated team of game developers to even attempt such a thing. As I don't have the kind of money to form such a team, it's not going to happen anytime soon.

See? I told you Raven doesn't give a damn. They just don't give a hell about the gaming community...
 The Cheat
06-22-2003, 11:30 AM
i was just wondering, has the source code for single player and multi player been released yet?
 UDM
06-22-2003, 12:57 PM
Multiplayer: yes
Singleplayer: Raven doesn't give a flying f*ck

Thanks to them, they screwed up the JK license. LEC should have handed the project over to someone more capable...
 The Cheat
06-22-2003, 3:21 PM
that sucks cuz wouldnt the sp source code make it easier to make a total conversion for single player or am i wrong?
 UDM
06-22-2003, 8:52 PM
Precisely, but Raven's too obnoxious and selfish to release it
 Emon
06-22-2003, 11:39 PM
No, it has nothing to do with Raven. Raven wants to release it, but they cannot. First of all, id's engine source code is tied in with the singleplayer source code, so they may have to release id's Quake III Team Arena source code with it, which id won't let happen. Second, LEC won't let Raven. Several of Raven's programmers have been pushing LEC to allow them to release various things for singleplayer editing. Maybe it means the sourcecode, maybe it doesn't. It's possible they figured out a way to let us mod more stuff without giving out id's precious Q3TA source.

Besides, with JA's new SP and MP modding capabilities which we'll have our hands on in about five months, there's no real point in bothering with the JO source code. JO projects can be easily ported to JA.

It's really nice when people research things before they post. Too bad we don't see any of that around here. :rolleyes:
 The Cheat
06-23-2003, 9:18 AM
how do we even know we will get the source code for JA? how long was it before the multiplayer code was released for JO?
 razorace
06-24-2003, 12:50 AM
Raven employees have stated that they will use the same sort of SDK releases as JK2.

Anyway, I call into question the "new SP and MP modding capabilities". I know there are some code tweaks in the works but I've never heard of anything specific in regards to new modding features. Sure there will be new game features to play with but behound that we simple don't know.

Also, with the number of changes being made, I doubt that mod conversions from JK2 to JKA will be easy. Sure, if you had the skills to mod JK2 you should be about to move stuff into JKA, but it sounds like enough has changed that it will be much more than a simple cut/paste job.
Page: 1 of 1