Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How to stop the idiotic RPG elements that will be forced upon you in JK3

Page: 1 of 4
 Bacon00
04-02-2003, 11:11 PM
Don't follow them. It's as simple as that. Go hack and slash all the idiots standing around doing the emote crap. If/when you get booted, go to another server. Do it again.

If more and more people start doing this, all the RPG crap will die away. The newbies who whine will either leave or adapt.

I hate that part of JK2 - you can't just go on and start whoring peeps. You gotta bow, turn your saber off, acknowledge that they aren't ready yet, bow again, etc. etc. etc. I hate it. Absolutely hate it.

When JK3 is released, I'm killing anybody and everybody.

End of story.
 Mandalorian54
04-02-2003, 11:27 PM
lol good call.

Well unless your in a clan you won't have to worry about that, and I doubt you'll be able to take on whole clans.

So unfortunatly you'll just have to put up with it's existance. But I'm all for ridding the pathetic kid servers of RPG crap.:p

But not many of them do that anyway.

Mabee you should start a clan dedicated to screwing over other clans and thier crappy anoying protocalls.

Good luck.

As for me, I don't mind a little noble bow now and then. And when your in a clan, it's a little different. But good luck riding the world of bad rubish.
 Prime
04-02-2003, 11:37 PM
I pray to all that is holy that KOTOR and Galaxies will rid us of this foolishness. But, alas, it seems too much to hope for.

Most a pity.
 Mandalorian54
04-02-2003, 11:43 PM
I pray to all that is holy that KOTOR and Galaxies will rid us of this foolishness. But, alas, it seems too much to hope for.

Most a pity.

I don't understand :confused: How can Kotor rid JKIII of RPG aspects?
 Jed
04-03-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Bacon00
Don't follow them. It's as simple as that. Go hack and slash all the idiots standing around doing the emote crap. If/when you get booted, go to another server. Do it again.

If more and more people start doing this, all the RPG crap will die away.

What a mature attitude. Sir, I salute you. http://www.themanipulation.com/bsflag.gif) *salutes*

The newbies who whine will either leave or adapt.

Newbies? Excuse me sir, but if you're going in there killing everyone with no rhyme or reason, it appears that you're acting sort of newb-ish.

I hate that part of JK2 - you can't just go on and start whoring peeps. You gotta bow, turn your saber off, acknowledge that they aren't ready yet, bow again, etc. etc. etc. I hate it. Absolutely hate it.

Whoring peeps is the way you like to play? Jeez, I don't think that's the point of the game...it may be in an FFA, but if you're dueling, then by all means no. Who respects an opponent who comes in and slashes the living crap out of everyone?

What name will you be playing under? I'd like to ban you in advance from any servers I run.

:rolleyes:
 Deadly Geezer
04-03-2003, 12:23 AM
I agree 100%, I hate this repeated bow crap. When you're in a duel there's a period where nothing happens; when that's over I like to rush and attack.
I fight more people than I'd like who bow, and then I don't bow in return, so they sit there with their saber off while I run at them from about 20 feet away and start hitting them. Then they whine about laming.
So the fact that we were in a duel, and I ran at you form some distance away with my lightsaber on wasn't a clue that I was going to try to hit you?

If I run a server, people are going to have to bow to each other every time someone gets hit. If a player takes falling damage during a duel, the server will bow to both duelers and ask if he should switch to a different map. Regardless of the outcome, all three will bow to each other, one at a time to ensure that everyone is ready. Then the duelers will re-bow. When someone's shields run out, both players must bow. If you hit someone in the back, you must bow to the opponent and anyone who was watching the duel. Then you bow to the person you hit again. Then both players bow to each other. Bow me.
 Mandalorian54
04-03-2003, 12:40 AM
Newbies? Excuse me sir, but if you're going in there killing everyone with no rhyme or reason, it appears that you're acting sort of newb-ish.

I think your alone in that. I'dd have to side with bacon. Little whiners who complain about other people not RPGing is annoying. If it's not a clan server or a specific RPGing server, then to "F"ing bad for them.

Thiers nothing newbish about shooting in a FPS, that's the whole point. Shoot evrything. The thing that's newbish is missing.

The thing that's newbish is expecting evrything your own way. You don't always get what you want in life, somthing normal people teach thier kids from a young age.

But if you want to RPG go ahead. I don't mind bowing at someone who bows, I don't mind the whole RPG thing, if it's kept where it belongs, that is in RPG specified servers. NOT evrywhere.

If some nerdy little kid feels cool bowing and being a jedi master, fine I'll bow, and then kick his "AHEM!"

But sometimes, if I just don't feel like fulfiling the kids fantasy, I'll chop his little head off when he's not ready. That's what the stupid kids get for killing me when the game just starts and I'm setting my stats, and despite the blue thing right above my head they kill me anyways. But I don't wine about it, I still win! so what's to complain about?
 Bacon00
04-03-2003, 12:59 AM
First off, I would like to make it clear that my post is slightly sarcastic, and shouldn't be taken straight up.

Anyway, I'm not about being mature in games. I buy/will buy JK2/3 because it's a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER. Not a ROLE PLAYING GAME. If I want to live out my fantasy world, I'll join a clan server or I'll buy an RPG.

If I want to kill other players and do it by any means necessary ("Kick whore!!!"), I'll pick up JK2/3. That's what I bought it for - fast, frantic fragging with a snazzy Star Wars flavor. It's Quake 3 with lightsabers. It's not Final Fantasy with lightsabers.

On clan servers I'll do what they want or I'll just leave. And if the server itself has a rule of "don't hit players with saber off," I'll leave or I'll do what they say. Although it'll be just as bad if 95% of all servers have that rule, which is about how JK2 is right now....

But frankly, I don't care if you want to do your little RPG crap on a public, non-clan server. I DON'T want to do your RPG crap - why should *I* have to do what *YOU* want all the time? There are servers out there for YOU to do the RPG smut, go THERE and do it. On public/generic servers, *I* get to do what *I* want - frag everybody and anybody.. take advantage of them turning their saber off in the middle of a battle like an idiot..

I'll admit to getting really frustrated with CONSTANT kicking, but hey, if they can pull it off that well, they deserve the kills. It's skillful, and it works - that's why people hate it. They are better than you, and they will get more kills.

In the 1.03 patch, I was pretty good at the "backslash" attack. I know that many of you will say that that was "cheap" and "unskillful," but I'd disagree. It took me many, many games to get that move to work every time I tried it. And then many more to do it so that the other guy died.. it took PRACTICE to do that. I was good at it, and I was good at dodging it. Then in 1.04, they basically removed it (it now does minimal damage.. strange for having a white hot blade go through your chest...) because everybody was whining because they kept dying in a QUAKE 3 GAME. Tell me, should they remove the railgun in Quake 3 because a person uses the SAME ATTACK (left clicking) every time? With the backslashing, it was your own fricking fault for dying.. when somebody turns their back to you, RUN AWAY, don't stand there like an idiot and take it. I died FAR fewer times via the backslash when compared to how many people I killed with it - why is that?

If you still want to pre-ban me for wanting to play the game how it's supposed to be played (and how it is designed to be played), my name will be "Bacon_00." I'll give you my IP at the time of launch as well, so you can make sure I won't be coming on. I for one don't want to be playing on your server if it's RPG-Knight 3.
 Bacon00
04-03-2003, 1:06 AM
As a side note, I'd like to add that although JK3 is taking an RPG turn, it's more like Deus Ex than a real RPG. It's still all about fast, frantic killing with a lightsaber and guns. There is a place for RPG elements in JK3, but not to the degree I'm sure we'll be seeing it ("OMGWTF YOU HIT ME WITH SABER OFF.. BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN!!!!!")
 shock ~ unnamed
04-03-2003, 1:09 AM
Preach on brother Beavis, preach on!

(See Homosexual Ewok was right all along)

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55205)

;)
 acdcfanbill
04-03-2003, 1:32 AM
i dont under stand why the non-rpg people just dont play the rpg part of it. i dont play jk2 for rpg elements, but i dont go around in mass ffa's all the time either, sure i do occasioally, but im interested in the one on one aspect of it, pitting yourself agaist another player to see who is more masterful at the game. Yes i bow, but i dont requre anyone else to, i bow, turn on saber, get up fight, takes half a second. I think that if there are rpg elements in jk3, let the rpg-ers use them, and everyone else can play however they want, i dont want to eliminate any part of the game that someone may enjoy, just as i dont want to eliminate anypart that allows the ffa ppl to rain death upon all with lightning, grip kicks, dfa maddness. :D

even i do that sometimes, i think that everyone should be able to enjoy jk3 whether you want to ctf, ffa, or duel. so i think that any rpg-like elements RAven puts in are fine, i just wont be using any of them, its not like i want them gone. i mean, take for example, i rarely use a forcefeild since i dont play team games, does that mean i think it should be gone simply because my style of play doesnt use it? of course not.

so in essence, all i have to say, is i hope that everyone who wants to play this game, can do so however they like, and that everyone will allow everyone else to have fun (haha, fat chance). :D good games folks, and i hope to saber you up sometime ;)
 RpTheHotrod
04-03-2003, 1:34 AM
I don't personally start going off RPGing...but if I find a server that does...I play along.
 Prime
04-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Mandolorian54
I don't understand :confused: How can Kotor rid JKIII of RPG aspects? Well, maybe I'm a bit off base here, but JO seems to be a very difficult game to turn into a reasonable RPG. For the most part, to me it just lacks the required elements. So why are so many people trying to RPG in JO?

I always thought it was because there really isn't a SW game that lends itself to RPGing. However, KOTOR and Galaxies are designed for roleplaying. So hopefully those that want to RPG in the Star Wars universe will have those games to play, leaving JO and JK3 to the FPSers.

If I was unclear, I ment that those games might rid us of RPG players, not RPG aspects. This, of course, remains to be seen. :)
 Prime
04-03-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by RpTheHotrod
I don't personally start going off RPGing...but if I find a server that does...I play along. I usually just leave and try to find a server that is actually playing JO...
 Aoshi
04-03-2003, 11:53 AM
well rpging and whatever is completely fine as you paid money for the game and you can play it however the hell you want to. the only thing i have with it is when rpgers come to the gametype i play (full force CTF). and call me dishonorable cause i dont stop to fight them or i selfkill (something apparently that no self-respecting jedi would ever do... how the **** do they know what a 'jedi' would really do?) or i dont use the lightsaber so i'm not a 'real jedi.' i think these people are the most idiotic people in the world and sometimes i even take time of my game to repeatedly kick them to death just for being so goddamn ignorant. i'll admit i used to be a nf duelist and some of the most fun i ever had was pitting myself against a good opponent thereby gaining respect for him and bowing to him next round. these battles of individual skill are great but i dont sit there and pretend i'm some sith lord battling a jedi knight long long ago on some far away planet. it's just when bowing and all that nonsense is taken too far in an internet game that it gets annoying. there is no such thing as 'honor' in a world of anonymity and i hate these children constantly reproaching me for something that they dont even know anything about.

ps.s on a side note i've found that if in a ff guns game some rpg nerd tries to bow to you, a swift rocket to the grill quickly sets his priorities in order. if only sabers are enabled the funniest and greatest thing to shut them up is to use only the stun baton or kicks to kill them. it seems that the majority of rpgers are horrificly bad at this game so when they lose in such a humiliating way they tend to leave. =)
 DeTRiTiC-iQ
04-03-2003, 3:26 PM
I got sick of JK2 when I got kicked off every FFA server I joined for... killing people. What's worse is that I was deliberately not taking cheap shots, I was giving people a chance, I let them take the first shot/slash... yet within 5 minutes of joining a server I would get booted.

I'm not even that good a player :(
 Ronin_Medjai
04-03-2003, 5:45 PM
I said it in Shocks post Ill say it here.

You people are really getting kinda old with this too :P
These people you speak of , who force you to bow before duels and other crap. Are not RPGers Call them Fanboys instead. True RPers dont do **** like this. Honestly I doubt any of you have been in a Real JKO RPG before even most of the ones that are clearly labeled RPGs are lame containing MGS2 Characters, Matrix Characters, DEmos,Vampires,and all sorts of other crtap that would never be in a SW Universe. True RPGs are so Hard to find ,as well as True RPers. When RPing you forget everything you learned in JKO. Most RPGs are lame stories and just big TFFAs such as the Infamous and Horrid Deathstar RPG *sjudders* I mean thats just a big TFFA with a little (VERY LITTLE) story thrown into it ,and its a horrible way to consider that an RPG. I will be runnig RPG Servers (using RPG Mods) in JK3 and there is no way you can stop me,cause I am running a server specifically for that. Im not running a CTF server or FFA server and forcing you to bow,type I love you and you are my Master 47 times,and then slice you while you are bowing to me,and anything that doent happen my way results in Admin Commands. Thats wrong and that is not an RPG so plz stop confusing the Two.
There is two Types of RPGers
1. RPGer (RolePlaying Gamer) (Me :cool: )
2. RPGer (Really Poor Gamer)
Number two is lame at almost every type of Gametype so he trys to be a whiny *** most of the time when things dont go his way he usually carries a copy of killtracker (killcount about 2 and they were bots :rolleyes: ) and Has studied every chapter in the "How to be a Newb" book that was published in 1998.
On many occasions you will see them with a friend who is *dum dum DAHHHHH* a Server Owner :eek: Yes thats right these lamers now have something noone usually abuses...POWER ..and any time you kill them,say anything bad about them or Pokemon,or pull anything into your hand besides a lightsaber you get banned/kicked/sleepd/slapped/frozen/ (my Favorite) invisible choked. After going into one of these servers I usually flood them to cause lag and then leave (To Flood a Server: hmmm maybe for next episode ;) )
 ILR
04-03-2003, 6:05 PM
in FFA.. if your saber is down you deserved to get killed. In a duel you can't exactly spawn camp, and in most cases the spawn points are far enough away from eachother where you have the time to collect yourself. Bacon00... your right when you say too much RPGing in an action game is retarded. I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are plenty of peeps like you who are gonna be in JKIII, so the Force will be balanced... I'm sure :P
 zerowingzero
04-03-2003, 6:06 PM
This thread: The birth of *ASC* II
 ILR
04-03-2003, 6:08 PM
Originally posted by zerowingzero
This thread: The birth of *ASC* II

Those peeps had cool articles. Tho.. what they suggested was so radically different from my style it didn't really work for me. But intringing none-the-less.
 MuRaSaMuNe
04-03-2003, 6:50 PM
RPG? I usually don't no saber as most servers take turns dueling in FFA, there is usually a small FFA battle going on as well. I don't mind waiting for a duel. I never saw an RPG server before :P.
 t3rr0r
04-03-2003, 7:07 PM
here's an idea... play vanilla jk2 if you don't want to see emotes. also, how is bowing role playing?
 -=DarkZero=-
04-03-2003, 7:54 PM
Originally posted by Bacon00

If more and more people start doing this, all the RPG crap will die away. The newbies who whine will either leave or adapt.

End of story.
Oh that sounds just about right,considering killing all the "whiny newbies" remember this you'll be a newb, and that your whining now,so your being a hypocrit,another thing,I don't consider bowing an rpg rule,I consider it A jedi outcast rule,practicly no matter what server you go to your going to end up doing it,and if you do run around and start hacking away at people,And as a matter of fact im one of them....Let's just say I lame the lamers without any thought,So here is a warning,shut the f*** up and quick spittin crap,Or i'll hunt you down, damn lamer.
 shock ~ unnamed
04-03-2003, 7:59 PM
*Key music.

[Star Wars text crawl]

A long time ago in a game called Jedi Outcast...

At first people were content to play the game as it was intended: a fast paced first person shooter based in the Star Wars universe.

These were prosperous times, the game was receiving outstanding reviews and players were engrossed in all of the action the game offered.

Then came the dark times, the age of the Fan Boy saber noobies...

At first their motives seemed innocent enough, a little whining about heavy stance, an occasional cry about the DFA, nothing seemed different than the whining most newbies do in any game.

But there was much more to their movement than was apparent.
They began brain washing legions of newbies who had never even played a first person shooter into believing that practice and strategy was futile.

Patches were their means to salvation from the oppression of the dreaded players plaguing them.

At this time they declared a doctrine upon all of JK2 hence to be known as the "Saberist Code".

Any person who actually tried to play the game as it had been for months was to be branded a "Lamer" and voted off any and all public servers.

Bowing and saber off = peace were used to strike fear into the hearts of the newer players. Conform or be banned. With limited options they did as their oppressors wished and hence this became the norm.

During their reign of oppression through incessant whining they brought forth more patches in an attempt to cover their lack of ability and drove many a player away from the game never to be seen again.

Just when all seemed lost came a new hope:

Jedi Knight 3

At first the legion of Fan boy saber noobies thought that their grasp on this new game was firm.

But hiding in the shadows were the players who had been banned and kicked far too many times and were not willing to give into the GAY SIDE of the force.

Armed not with a saber but with two hands they raised both high, extended their middle fingers and told their oppressors to go :) themselves...

[/Star Wars text crawl]
 CanadianSurfer
04-03-2003, 8:10 PM
Hahahahahahaha.
 Spider AL
04-03-2003, 8:43 PM
Jedi220: Fanboys infest all servers, not just duel servers. And "killing without rhyme or reason" is what the FPS genre is all about. That's not a matter for debate.

Ronin_Medjai: There could never be enough anti-fanboy sentiment. NEVER.

Mobius Berreta.: It would be dishonourable to tell you to learn to spell, so I'll tell you to try to form a coherent sentence with no swear-words in it instead. Bowing is not a "Jedi Outcast rule," there ARE no Jedi Outcast rules. It isn't a rule etched in stone just because you, and the fanboys, say it is.

DeTRiTiC-iQ: I couldn't agree more, you're absolutely, 100% correct in every respect. ;)

t3rr0r: Bowing is RPGing because you're using your player models to enact some sort of ritual, playing your roles, taking yourself and each other too seriously. Bowing is negative because it takes up precious time, when others are always waiting to duel. RPGing on public servers is negative because the RPGing player is taking up a player slot that could be used by someone who really wants to play the game properly, and have fun doing it.

---

Jedi Outcast is about two things, fun, and the score. There, I said it. It's about the score. It's about the number of kills (or team caps) you have at the end of the game. If it wasn't about the kills, there wouldn't be a scoreboard. FPS games are about the score, about having fun, and about having fun trying to get the best score. FPS games are not roleplaying games. They are not designed for roleplaying, and roleplayers who invade public servers are both annoying to regular players and are wasting their own time in the process.

There is nothing stopping RPGers from creating their own servers and their own portion of the community, and indeed some RPGers do that. But the RPGers that don't, are evil, apathetic fanboys. They must be shunned and eradicated, for the good of all. The fanboys give RPGers a bad name, and they drive serious and casual players right up the wall.
 -=DarkZero=-
04-03-2003, 8:59 PM
Originally posted by Spider AL

Mobius Berreta.: It would be dishonourable to tell you to learn to spell, so I'll tell you to try to form a coherent sentence with no swear-words in it instead. Bowing is not a "Jedi Outcast rule," there ARE no Jedi Outcast rules. It isn't a rule etched in stone just because you, and the fanboys, say it is.
Seriously it doesn't matter if you can spell correctly or not,as long as your trying to get the point across.
Second of all I said "I" consider bowing a rule,I never said it was an actuall rule.
Im just saying almost every single server you go to if you don't bow before a dual starts and just attack,it is considered modding,or laming infact>.>
AND SO YOU WILL BE PUNISHED<.<
But seriously, going into other servers just to kill isn't exactly honourable if you do most of it by laming, Especialy when your using a kill tracker, I and many other's I assume would see that as jack-asstory.
Im not saying that everyone has to follow my word,but it just seems more rightful now, and any way the thread starter can't exactly say that he's gonna run around killing everyone on JK3 because we don't exactly know what the multiplayer is going to be like you know.
Bleh o.O,whatever.
 MuRaSaMuNe
04-03-2003, 9:14 PM
Saber Off = Peace is just the revolution of the age-old tradition of Jedi Knight's fists=peace. :D
 Lanceo9
04-03-2003, 9:14 PM
i kinda like the bow crap.... but it does get anoying. especialy when people say i am laming because i like blue stance... (your laming because u like yellow) *caugh* lol. i am sorry to say, but i think jk3 will have that crap in it. :explode: :sbdance
 shock ~ unnamed
04-03-2003, 9:31 PM
Originally posted by Mobius Berreta.

But seriously, going into other servers just to kill isn't exactly honourable if you do most of it by laming, Especialy when your using a kill tracker, I and many other's I assume would see that as jack-asstory

Question:

Any other first person shooters that have the phrase "lamer/laming" tossed around as much as in JK2?

Nope.

Sure "llama" but that's not the same thing.

I don't see people bitching in Counter-Strike "OMGF he lamed me I didn't have my AK-47 out".

I don't see people in standing around in a FFA in games like UT2003 watching two guys fight.

I don't see RTCW players crying "WTF man don't call in an air strike here can't you see my chat box?"

You fan boy saber off = peace idiots are the reason these damn servers are empty, when will you get it through your thick heads?

You make people who bought this game and want to play a cool SW FPS sick and drive them out and away from it with your stupid "codes of honor".

Yes people like YOU, not me, are the types of people who cried for crappy patches.

We "lamers" never bitched about DFA's or back stabs, it was YOU people.

So if you want to get mad about people bashing your stupid "Saber honor Codes" garbage, get used to it. It will get worse and only worse until you either play the game or leave for a true RPG.
 shukrallah
04-03-2003, 10:33 PM
i bow down out of respect, if u dont bow and u attack me, i jump out of the way and attack back. its simple, no one needs to be banned. they say u shouldnt attack when the other guys saber iis off because he doesnt have a chance to fight...or if hes typing or something like that...other than that, if there saber is on, ill slash em' :D

if there saber is off and they use force, or kick me something ike that ill slash em' but only if they attack me 1st.

jk2 is not an rpg, it is an action game, so i dont play it like an rpg. thats how i play at the top, i use emotes too sometimes, just because they look cool.
 -=DarkZero=-
04-03-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by shock ~ unnamed
Question:

Any other first person shooters that have the phrase "lamer/laming" tossed around as much as in JK2?

Nope.

I don't see people bitching in Counter-Strike "OMGF he lamed me I didn't have my AK-47 out".

I don't see people in standing around in a FFA in games like UT2003 watching two guys fight.

I don't see RTCW players crying "WTF man don't call in an air strike here can't you see my chat box?"

You fan boy saber off = peace idiots are the reason these damn servers are empty, when will you get it through your thick heads?

You make people who bought this game and want to play a cool SW FPS sick and drive them out and away from it with your stupid "codes of honor".

Yes people like YOU, not me, are the types of people who cried for crappy patches.

We "lamers" never bitched about DFA's or back stabs, it was YOU people.

So if you want to get mad about people bashing your stupid "Saber honor Codes" garbage, get used to it. It will get worse and only worse until you either play the game or leave for a true RPG.
Your comparing jk2 to First person shooters,well This is easy for me to answer but may be confusing for you to get.
Look at jk2,most of it now has based it self on sabre's and not blasters.
So new rules were conjered up,Like whats his face said they may not be writen in "stone" but they still stand by many server owners and what not.
Quake 3,unreal tourny,counter strike, all amazing games,the only flaw is none of them(excluding unreal) have swords or anything,and are all based on war exactly,Nothing more, and no matter what they give you an edge,more excitment because the fun in most of these games is the dying,and the only reason why it doesnt get annoying is because thats all the game is about,killing.
JK2 on the other hand has many flaws according to this,I have no problem with what you say that people dont go around in other games saying lamer or whatever,but in jk2 it's going to happen more,and the only reason is is because jk2 has based it self on this so called rp type format.
It wasn't ment to,it just happend.
But seriously I have a problem with people running around saying that they gonna end up killin all of them just for doing something that they believe is mandatory,it makes no sense, and so it being lame gave birth to lamness and so on and so forth.
And thats where I come in, when I hear people saying their going to lame because they don't like something then tough!
MAKE YOUR OWN SERVER AND SET YOUR OWN DAMN RULES IF YOU CAN'T RESPECT OTHER'S CHOICES.
I'll withdraw here considering I am hardly making any sense to any of you...
 Rad Blackrose
04-03-2003, 11:40 PM
Alright, this is an origional *ASC*er floating about.

Now while the SC and ASC have taken the backburner of JKII politics, needless to say their ways still remain. However, I believe the main problem of the origional argument was members of the SC filtering to servers they have no relations to, and start kicking people.

Sorry people, but only one group of people should have this access: the admins.

What you people here do not recognize is that the admins pay for the servers, you only pay for the software to play on those servers. That means they (the admins) can set any rule to their hearts desire, and you don't have to play on them. Since the admins pay for said servers, it is a PRIVLEDGE, not a RIGHT to play on a server. This is as much misconception as the music industry having the freedom of speech clause of the First Amendment of the US Constitution backing them when it comes to censorship. Face it: you're not going to win.

However, I am not totally into the RP scene in JKII. Quite frankly, if I ever see an RP scene, I'm going to have my brains against the wall with a exit wound from my head of the size approximated from a 9mm parabellum round.

So, in other words:

If you bow, I will bow just as a sign of readiness. If you don't, I don't care. I just may have to hurt you even more.

You come to a server that I am administrating on and think you can do whatever you please, then you have another thing coming to you. By connecting to the server and hitting JOIN GAME, you are consenting by contract to the server that you will abide by any rules made by said admin or admins. Breaking that contract has repercussions. This is life. Get used to it.

Also, I want to address one last point:

Your argument is null because of the way the game is construed. CS, UT2003, JKII, and RTCW are FPS. That is where the comparison ends. Look at what we are fighting with, for a moment. Yup, you got that right. Most of the time, it is sabers. Tell me, what other game involves swordplay as heavily as JKII?

Sure, knifing gets you kicks and giggles in CS, but it isn't a quintessential part of it.

I'm not going to comment on the other two because I have not played them.

Face it: people are honor bound. I don't know if it is the addiction to the old samurai movies or what, but they got that mentality in their heads.

Remember ladies and gents, in duels, it is all out. There is no rulebook. Ask any european who has died while accepting a challenge.

EDIT: Sorry, one last thing.

With those who enjoy invoking the saber off=peace rule, I got a few things for you:

1.) Use common sense, if a few saberists are going at it, then don't run right between them and whine.

2.) Offensive force powers count as a saber being active

I'm sure there are a few things I am missing, but it is these two that make me type the following thing:

/name "Mormegil *ASC*"
 Bacon00
04-03-2003, 11:48 PM
"Oh that sounds just about right,considering killing all the "whiny newbies" remember this you'll be a newb, and that your whining now,so your being a hypocrit,another thing,I don't consider bowing an rpg rule,I consider it A jedi outcast rule,practicly no matter what server you go to your going to end up doing it,and if you do run around and start hacking away at people,And as a matter of fact im one of them....Let's just say I lame the lamers without any thought,So here is a warning,shut the f*** up and quick spittin crap,Or i'll hunt you down, damn lamer."

Nice use of swear words and insults. Really makes me believe that you're the mature one here, and not I.

Aside from that, I'd disagree - why is bowing and saber-offage a JKO "rule?" Where is this written? Why do I have to follow it? I don't want to follow it... but I should have to because some nerd says that I do? Some nerd that paid the same $50 for the game that I did?

Yeah, sure...

I'm playing the game how I want to play it. This does not involve RPG elements. The way I play the game will not be influenced by you because you want me to "bow" and turn my saber off every 30 seconds.

I'm not expecting you to play like I want you to, why are you expecting me to play the game like you want me to?

Who's being the hypocrite, again?

Oh, and, I was curious... how does being a newbie "again" in JKA going to matter in the slightest? It sounds like saber combat is going to be pretty much the same, just with more moves... I'm pretty sure I won't be as much of a "newbie" as somebody who never played JKO... Right?
 RpTheHotrod
04-04-2003, 12:02 AM
I'm gonna state this, ready? Here I go...

I was with SC (Saberist Code) and was chosen to go against an ASC. The "this match will show who will rule" match. I kicked his butt...and SC came out victorious...however, as it went off....it just wasn't even worth it. I dropped the tag, and now I just play. I personally have a "code of conduct" I follow just to respect players...but I'm not "all-SC" anymore. Like I said, if someone wants to RPG, I'll play along, but I'm not going to start it.

If I see someone in FFA without a saber, I won't attack them, unless they abuse it (like saber off mid-fight, or saber off then on quickly for a cheap kill....I'll slaughter those)...but don't go around expecting me to bow to every little healthpack and gun around.

MY SUGGESTION TO LUCAS ARTS:
Add some sort of "gametype" that shows "RPG". That way, if you are joining a FFA-RPG server...RPG away, if you don't....leave/get kicked. If you just join a normal FFA server and people cutt your head off when you bow...it's your own fault for acting like an idiot on a non-RPG server...go join an RPG server.

All in all

RPers will go to RPG servers
Normal players will go to normal servers.

It wouldn't take much programming to do this. No changes at all other than a new name (FFA RPG and FFA would be exactly alike, but people joining would see if the server wants RPing or not)
 Jeff 42
04-04-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Rad Blackrose
Sure, knifing gets you kicks and giggles in CS, but it isn't a quintessential part of it.

Sounds like sabering in JO to me. :p
 shock ~ unnamed
04-04-2003, 1:06 AM
Originally posted by Mobius Berreta. So new rules were conjered up,Like whats his face said they may not be writen in "stone" but they still stand by many server owners and what not.

By who, and what makes you think *everyone should follow them?

I can honestly say without a doubt that the number of better Full Force saber only players in JK2 that are better than I am can be counted on one hand and chances are there will be a few fingers to spare.

But do I go around telling people how to play?
No.
But I'm supposed to listen to some role playing noobie that can't do 1/2 the things I can when I'm barely even trying?

JK2 on the other hand has many flaws according to this,I have no problem with what you say that people dont go around in other games saying lamer or whatever,but in jk2 it's going to happen more,and the only reason is is because jk2 has based it self on this so called rp type format.
It wasn't ment to,it just happend.

Right, it was *not meant to, so if I have no desire to put up with this garbage, you have no right to complain when I don't bow or do some other silly gesture that shows I have "no honor".

It's an action game, that's how I play it.

But seriously I have a problem with people running around saying that they gonna end up killin all of them just for doing something that they believe is mandatory,it makes no sense, and so it being lame gave birth to lamness and so on and so forth.

Next time you play JK2, once in-game do me a favor.
Press "TAB" and tell me what you see.

Scores right?
Wow an action game where scoring is kept tack of, ground breaking concept.

And how do you score?
You kill.

Mind blowing isn't it?

MAKE YOUR OWN SERVER AND SET YOUR OWN DAMN RULES IF YOU CAN'T RESPECT OTHER'S CHOICES.

See my friend, that’s the problem.

You see that server address in my sig?
I provided at my own cost, a dedicated server.

My rules right?

Nope.
People like you come on and constantly bitch and moan about these stupid little role playing rules that I CHOOSE not to have on a server I am PAYING for.

So don't give me any BS about RPG saber noobies staying on their own little admin mod servers and not bothering anyone.
 shock ~ unnamed
04-04-2003, 1:22 AM
Your argument is null because of the way the game is construed. CS, UT2003, JKII, and RTCW are FPS. That is where the comparison ends. Look at what we are fighting with, for a moment. Yup, you got that right. Most of the time, it is sabers. Tell me, what other game involves swordplay as heavily as JKII?

Yeah.. Ok there.

So whether or not I'm allowed to kill anything that moves in a *FFA all depends on the melee weapon in my hand?

Thanks for clearing that one up.

You have been around since day 1 if I'm correct.
So have I.

Do you remember a time when you could filter out the FFA game type in a browser and find 24 people going all out racing for the top spot and racking up kills as fast as humanly possible?

I do.

People played the game for what it was, an action game (I won't use the FPS term so as to not get into that discussion again) with Force powers and sabers.

Now?

Oh you can still find a FFA server with 24 people in it; problem is its 24 RPG saber noobies standing around doing idiotic ballerina emotes.

And please before you or anyone chimes in with the standard "go to another server" comment, like I said in the post above this one, they spread out like roaches to servers like mine where this nonsense is not wanted.
 yolkboy
04-04-2003, 1:28 AM

Werd :D
 Tosh_UK
04-04-2003, 4:42 AM
Bacon00 Don't follow them. It's as simple as that. Go hack and slash all the idiots standing around doing the emote crap. If/when you get booted, go to another server. Do it again.

End of story. A men to that

jedi220 Whoring peeps is the way you like to play? Jeez, I don't think that's the point of the game...it may be in an FFA, but if you're dueling, then by all means no. Who respects an opponent who comes in and slashes the living crap out of everyone?

and theres me thinking this game was about killing players?

Spider AL Man i think your Great :)

Mobius Berreta. Your comparing jk2 to First person shooters,well This is easy for me to answer but may be confusing for you to get.
Look at jk2,most of it now has based it self on sabre's and not blasters.
The problem i have with that comment is the fact all the Fanboys nerfed the saber! as they wanted to stand there for 30mins thinking they was sooo good, but the truth was they would of killed each other quicker with a bread stick.

RpTheHotrod
All in all

RPers will go to RPG servers
Normal players will go to normal servers.
if only

The way I play is to score... CtF run get flags or stand and kill flag runners. ffa well as it says kill all thats in front of you. Tffa well same as before but try help out ya team as well. Dule well i say if you want to bow before hand thats ok, just dont ***** about to long and get it over so the next guy can have his turn.

Fan Boys must be killed BUT for god sake only kill them with there saber down :p
 Ronin_Medjai
04-04-2003, 6:22 AM
Ok lets all do Ronin a Favor and stop bitching about "RPG Saber Noobies" cause IMO they are a disgrace to the RPG world of JKO.

I never saw an RPG server before :P.

Not many have.

Plz name the "RPG Saber Noobies" to just "Saber Noobies" or something else cause its really pissing me off to try and defned RPers here cause you guys are attacking us sorta. Its like Talking Crap about George Bush but Calling him Bill Clinton in stead of George Bush. Plz call them waht they are and its far from anything with the letters RPG in it.
 Aoshi
04-04-2003, 7:26 AM
lol it's not even so much the bowing that gets me (normally). i mean when i go to duel servers (which is kinda rare), i still bow if they do. if they dont then i just start attacking. what really pushed me away from dueling was the people that when we started dueling about 2 mins into it would shut their saber off and ask me how many hp i had left. then they'd wait another min or so and ask me again. then they'd get kinda close to me and shut their saber off (after i told them i still had 100/25) and ask me again and while i was typing they'd try to attack me. this really got on my nerves i mean if you wanna follow some dumb code just follow it, but dont try to exploit your own rules just to say that you actually damaged me.... you know all this talk reminds me of a certain saber only clan that was exactly like most LF people. they had all these gay codes of honor and constantly kicked people from their server for "laming" aka "being better than them." this team constantly lost by humiliating margins and finally decided to wise up and have fun by winning. therefore they all scripted moves and tactics(which although was VERY cheap was nonetheless VERY effective) and went out and rocked the people that used to own them by going against their original ideals. if only some of the fanboys would also be enlightened to learn the game and take advantage of what's given them instead of whining to have everyone else nerfed down to their pathetic level.
 Tosh_UK
04-04-2003, 8:56 AM
Originally posted by Aoshi
if only some of the fanboys would also be enlightened to learn the game and take advantage of what's given them instead of whining to have everyone else nerfed down to their pathetic level.

That Comment is so True.
 Galvocca
04-04-2003, 9:10 AM
i find it funny your all saying that bowing before a duel and not attacking a fighter with his saber off is bullsh*t??? and is RPG???

i thought the whole point of a duel was to see who is the better saberist and has more skill in combat not who is best at killing an unarmed person. am i wrong???

FFA is a totally different thing its every man for himself.
 Spider AL
04-04-2003, 9:43 AM
Originally posted by Mobius Beretta:

Seriously it doesn't matter if you can spell correctly or not,as long as your trying to get the point across.That presumes the people can decipher your text to the extent necessary to understand the point, if there is one.

Originally posted by Mobius Berreta:

Second of all I said "I" consider bowing a rule,I never said it was an actuall rule.
Im just saying almost every single server you go to if you don't bow before a dual starts and just attack,it is considered modding,or laming infact>.>
AND SO YOU WILL BE PUNISHED<.<Like I said, just because you and some other fanboys whinge about it, doesn't make it a rule, and doesn't make the fact that you "consider it a rule" valid in any way, shape or form. I'm certainly never bowing again. The fanboys can try to "punish" me if they wish. :)

Originally posted by Mobius Berreta:
But seriously, going into other servers just to kill isn't exactly honourable if you do most of it by laming, Especialy when your using a kill tracker, I and many other's I assume would see that as jack-asstory.Going... into...

Can you read your own text? Going into servers just to kill is dishonourable? Going into servers just to kill is the POINT of the GAME! But perhaps you think "going into servers just to pretend to be a carpenter from Sulon" is the point of the game. ;)

Bah, you're most certainly a troll. Your statements are much too extreme to be genuine.

Originally posted by Ronin_Medjai:

Ok lets all do Ronin a Favor and stop bitching about "RPG Saber Noobies" cause IMO they are a disgrace to the RPG world of JKO.Sorry Ronin, they RPG, they use sabres, they are newbies, so while I've never used the expression myself, "RPG Saber Noobies" fits. Since they are giving your side of the community a bad name, maybe you should help us eradicate them. :)

Originally posted by alvocca:

i find it funny your all saying that bowing before a duel and not attacking a fighter with his saber off is bullsh*t??? and is RPG???

i thought the whole point of a duel was to see who is the better saberist and has more skill in combat not who is best at killing an unarmed person. am i wrong???

FFA is a totally different thing its every man for himself.The point of the duel is to win the duel. The better player doesn't always win, nobody has a hundred per-cent record. Secondly the aim of a duel is to whack the person you're fighting, with your sabre. So if the person decides that they want to talk when you're swinging your sabre at them, it's their fault that they got killed. The amount of times I've been called a lamer for killing a fanboy who started typing one millisecond before my strike connected...

Finally there are always people waiting to duel on a duel server, and the fanboys who spend HOURS and HOURS chatting and bowing and spinning and amkissing, are wasting OUR time as well as theirs. There is no excuse, frankly.

Back in the day, in JK1, FF duels on BGJ were the place to be seen. I fought hundreds of them from 1999-2002. The rules were simple: When the game starts, you both haul bottom out of there and try to kill each other any way you can. Whoever kills the most by the end of the game, wins. THAT was the way to play. Fast, furious, no-holds-barred, and THAT's the way to play on a public dedicated server. Anything else is malicious, it wastes everyone else's time. And frankly I don't trust any fanboy anyway, so I tried not to type back in a duel for fear of being hit.

As for FFA, it's just another game mode, and it has no more rules than duels do. That is to say, it has NO rules. The fanboys still tried to impose their stupid bowing, spinning and kissing and "I'm a moisture farmer from Tatooine" rules onto public FFA servers though.

Destroy fanboys, eradicate them wherever you find them.
 Hekx
04-04-2003, 10:45 AM
It's a Star Wars game, not Frag Wars.
If you want to run around and kill everyone on a FFA server abusing ever 'trick' available, do so.
It would appear Raven have added more role-playing aspects to JKIII, maybe due to a larger audience.
If you want to 'frag' to get a high score, stay away from RPG servers.
Most RPG servers are poorly hosted, and poorly organized.
There's no set rules or guidelines for what happens in JKII.
Bowing in duels for respect, if you don't like it, don't do it.
Most servers have rules in place, so follow them.
Role-playing players are most probably still playing JKII, since they're more interested in using the game for role-plays, instead of 'bunny-hopping about fraggin' all the n00bs with their l337 skillz.'
If you don't like the game and it's rules. Go play Quake.
 Rad Blackrose
04-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Yes, we have been here since day one.

I remember the day when you could walk into a server and immediately nail someone within the first 5 seconds because they looked at you funny. The day of pivitol DFA spammage. Those were the days.

Then the SC came around toting a cause that was bull****, in my opinion.

Now, lets fast forward to today, where we have an unprecendented ammount of nerfs to the one thing the fanboys were using the whole time. Like Fatal had in his sig in the merry ol' time, saberists are now like ravers with glowsticks.

Clarification time. If I go to a guns server, I expect it to be a warzone. If a saberist has his saber off, tough s***: You're getting a rocket up your ass.

Most servers which have guns active are usually a true FFA, no law abiding citizen server. Anarchy at its finest. That's how I define a gun server.

But when you get into the saber only servers, then more of that code starts to appear.

The only rules that exist on the server I administrate is the saber off and chatbox rule, as well as the emote exploits associated with VAM 2.2 to get out of the specials. Then again, that is to be taken with a grain of salt, and also a bit of common sense. I'd rather slap the idiot that ran through a group of actively engaged people and got hit, then began whining then the actual attackers.

What's more apparent these days? Lack of ability to follow rules? Or lack of common sense?

Oh, and go and find another server... Just kidding.

On one last note: Remember, killing fanboys is not a crime.

Originally posted by shock ~ unnamed
Yeah.. Ok there.

So whether or not I'm allowed to kill anything that moves in a *FFA all depends on the melee weapon in my hand?

Thanks for clearing that one up.

You have been around since day 1 if I'm correct.
So have I.

Do you remember a time when you could filter out the FFA game type in a browser and find 24 people going all out racing for the top spot and racking up kills as fast as humanly possible?

I do.

People played the game for what it was, an action game (I won't use the FPS term so as to not get into that discussion again) with Force powers and sabers.

Now?

Oh you can still find a FFA server with 24 people in it; problem is its 24 RPG saber noobies standing around doing idiotic ballerina emotes.

And please before you or anyone chimes in with the standard "go to another server" comment, like I said in the post above this one, they spread out like roaches to servers like mine where this nonsense is not wanted.
 nova_wolf
04-04-2003, 11:56 AM
I think that a nice server of their own would be a good way to handle this.

I liked the online code of honour of bowing, but only at the start of a duel - was nice.

One of the servers I played on had a specific area where the Code was upheld. An exhibition area. Bespins Landing pad normally. the whole saber on / off was upheld there only.

Everywhere else was open season. That worked well. Proper duelling was allowed in one place, blasting in another.

But I agree that this whole RPGing it to match the films is crap though.

If you want that, make a level to emmulate the movie sequences.

Just as long as people do accept a server inposed honour code, then thats good.

Its like religion. Practise it where its wanted - dont preach to or try and convert those who honestly couldnt give a Wokie's testical - it will only end in tears and blood - YOURS!
 eastcoast2895
04-04-2003, 2:50 PM
i've read most of the post (there is a lot of the same stuff so i gave up) and i don't get it. If a server enforces certain rules they gotta be followed, if you don't like it then leave the server or create your own. i'm just saying this cuz i get pissed when i'm on a server where there is the rule no saber on = peace and ppl do the friggin strong stance attack me while i'm standing there I GET PISSED. but then again if i'm on a server that doesn't enforce that rule and same thing happens, its my stupid fault. also about the bowing, i do it, i don't care if you don't, in fact i don't care if you attack me while i'm bowing. it happened to me before, i get out of the way. i have two reasons for bowing 1) show respect, but i also do that by saying good fight at the end 2) to see if the person is ready, a saber flying at you is also a good indication. all i'm really saying is follow the rules on the server or find a better one and don't cry about bowing, do it, don't, ITS A GAME!!. oh yeah can more ppl create real FFA servers, those are friggin great but there aren't enough.
 shock ~ unnamed
04-04-2003, 4:32 PM
Originally posted by Aoshi
you know all this talk reminds me of a certain saber only clan that was exactly like most LF people. they had all these gay codes of honor and constantly kicked people from their server for "laming" aka "being better than them." this team constantly lost by humiliating margins and finally decided to wise up and have fun by winning. therefore they all scripted moves and tactics(which although was VERY cheap was nonetheless VERY effective) and went out and rocked the people that used to own them by going against their original ideals. if only some of the fanboys would also be enlightened to learn the game and take advantage of what's given them instead of whining to have everyone else nerfed down to their pathetic level.

Very effective?
Crap man, imagine as a gunner facing 4 guys who were all using OGC.
It was funny before the first round went live one of my guys goes "They are using energize this time".

I look over and I see 4 guys all with chat boxes over their heads firing off energize at like 1 millisecond per shot.

The hypocrisy of what they did pissed me off (at the time) but I still have to admire the ingenuity of it.
Page: 1 of 4