Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How to stop the idiotic RPG elements that will be forced upon you in JK3

Page: 3 of 4
 joesdomain
04-06-2003, 12:54 AM
Can someone explain to me the difference between Role-playing game and first person shooter? I always consider Dark Forces, Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, and Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast as first person shooter. Then again how can it be first person shooter if you are using a lightsaber and not a gun.
 shock ~ unnamed
04-06-2003, 3:32 AM
In DOOM you can switch to fists, Quake an axe, any less of a FPS?
Nope.
 HertogJan
04-06-2003, 3:39 AM
And you DO get to shoot things, right?? And the enemies shoot at you, whether you're holding a saber or not, right?? :p
 Bacon00
04-06-2003, 6:11 AM
Unnamed, you're post about booting people who bow made me laugh... best post on this thread so far, lol!

it's so true, but some people are so ignorant that they don't see the obvious connection between that absurdly sarcastic statement and what is really going on in JO, and what WILL go on in JA unless us "competetive" players don't put up with rpg crap on non-rpg servers.

I'm all for having RPG/"friendly" servers for all the "fanboys" to go onto and enjoy themselves. They get to play the game how THEY want.

But when I go onto a public, generic server, I'm not gonna start bowing and chatting. I'm going to shoot them, and shoot them often. Or slice them.

Whatever.

But when I do this, I'll get called a "lamer" and get flamed.

That's very angering - if I flamed them for bowing and chatting, they'd be apalled.
 Jolts
04-06-2003, 7:19 AM
this is what you'll get in jka, and every other star wars fps/3rd person action adventure multiplayer online game ever made from now until the end of time. It is the star wars curse.

http://www.gamingfiles.com/screenshots/7/potd/1047698763.jpg)
 shock ~ unnamed
04-06-2003, 7:56 AM
Perfect example here guys, recent too.

I'm sure you are all familiar with that Jedi Council map every saber only server runs.

Well I stopped by the server of the clan who made that map the other night because I was told this was the *best clan in JK2 period.

I go in and start playing a little FFA.
I take some guy out and he starts in with "You're ******* dead you noob".

I say "ok kill me then".

For the next 15 minutes I have three of them ganging up on me 3 on 1 and insulting me the entire time with profanity and general "saber noobie" like insults (gay/lamer/noob/no honor).

Score at the end?

16 me.
0 saber noobie 1
0 saber noobie 2
0 saber noobie 3

Instead of flaming back and forth with them I simply told them to chill out, it's late and not worth the effort arguing at this time of the night.

I proceed to their forums and issue a very friendly challenge for a team match between our clan and theirs.

Next day I'm in their server and I *openly ask if it is fine to attack players with sabers drawn.

They say yes and I proceed to wipe out every one of them who is fighting.

After less than two minutes I find myself being once again insulted and ganged up on.

Although this time I have an admin empowering himself because he repeatedly was unable to get the job done with out the help of his precious RPG mod.

Funny thing is after being ganged up on by 4 people, an admin who empowers himself, a member who keeps trying to kill me when I'm typing responses to his insults *I'm branded the "lamer".

Yeah me the guy who asked what the rules where and never broke a single one.

This is exactly why I hate this "honor" garbage.
Damn near 99% of the people (clans or players) who spout off about it are the biggest bunch of hypocrites when they get frustrated from losing.

The people who run off at the mouth about honor and bowing are the first ones to call you every four letter word in the book when you beat them.

But don’t take my word for it, read for your self.
Every word in that thread I stated about how they behaved (on page two) was true and not one of them denied any of it.

Yet I’m the “lamer”.

http://www.orderofthejedi.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2425&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)
 Hekx
04-06-2003, 9:21 AM
Originally posted by Jolts
this is what you'll get in jka, and every other star wars fps/3rd person action adventure multiplayer online game ever made from now until the end of time. It is the star wars curse.

http://www.gamingfiles.com/screenshots/7/potd/1047698763.jpg) I'm sure Raven will make the game balanced for RPers and Gamers. If not, they'll lose out on a lot of audience and potential money income. :D
Their target audience should fit for both types of player.
 ryudom
04-06-2003, 10:06 AM
that camping picture is halarious haha
 Mandalorian54
04-07-2003, 5:05 PM
If we don't have a problem with people RPing in RP servers then the RPers shouldn't have a problem with us not RPing in normal servers.

I guess you can't do anything about it if your week, but I'm gonna kick any scronny RPers if they wine about my not RPing.

I don't care if they RP in a normal server, I am bothered when they wine or say we should RP. And they'dd better leave if they don't like it!

If I feel like it, I may just go into servers for the purpose of hunting RPers.

RPing is fun sometimes. But if someone is playing capture the flag and says you can't kill them if they have the flag and thier sabers down. I don't care, I'm gonna kill them anyways. And if they bug me enough I may just only kill them until they leave.

I won't kill anyone simply cuz they RPed, but if I'm tied with someone with 19 pts, and the limit is 20, your gonna get killed saber down or not!

If you put your saber down in a match, I'll wait three seconds for you to lite it up again, if you don't, good bye. It's not tag, and theres no T.O.
 Rad Blackrose
04-07-2003, 8:01 PM
Originally posted by Mandolorian54
If we don't have a problem with people RPing in RP servers then the RPers shouldn't have a problem with us not RPing in normal servers.

I guess you can't do anything about it if your week, but I'm gonna kick any scronny RPers if they wine about my not RPing.

I don't care if they RP in a normal server, I am bothered when they wine or say we should RP. And they'dd better leave if they don't like it!

If I feel like it, I may just go into servers for the purpose of hunting RPers.

RPing is fun sometimes. But if someone is playing capture the flag and says you can't kill them if they have the flag and thier sabers down. I don't care, I'm gonna kill them anyways. And if they bug me enough I may just only kill them until they leave.

I won't kill anyone simply cuz they RPed, but if I'm tied with someone with 19 pts, and the limit is 20, your gonna get killed saber down or not!

If you put your saber down in a match, I'll wait three seconds for you to lite it up again, if you don't, good bye. It's not tag, and theres no T.O.

... Didn't we already establish the fact that there is a difference between RPers and "fanboys?"

Sorry mods, but this needs to be said:

Welcome to last week!
 Deadeye
04-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Hey. How the hell do you bow anyway? :p

I'm not really a newb, since I've played the game since March 29, 2002. I never really got that good at MP. I was ususally near the middle of the rankings. Anyway, the RPG crap never really bothered me, but the principal is rather lame I think.
 DigitalVapor
04-07-2003, 10:24 PM
Ladies and Gentleman!!! LET THE FLAMING BEGIN!!!!! BACON, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?! AT WHAT POINT WAS IT SAID THAT THIS BOWING CRAP IS BEING FORCED ON YOU IN JK3??? AND WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH "RPG ELEMENTS"??? THE ONLY THING RESEMBLING A REAL RPG ELEMENT IN JK3 IS THE CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION. OUTSIDE OF THAT IT IS JUST QUAKE 3 WITH LIGHTSABERS. YOU DONT WANT TO BOW? HUNT FOR A SERVER THAT DOESNT ENFORCE IT OR START YOUR OWN! BOWING AND EMOTES ARE NOT EVEN A REAL PART OF THE MULTIPLAYER GAME!! THESE ARE THINGS DONE BY THE PLAYERS. THE EMOTES IN JK2 WERE INTENDED FOR THE CINEMATICS IN SP, SOMEONE JUST WANTED TO PLAY WITH EM IN MP. THAT DOESNT MAKE IT A DELIBERATE ASPECT OF THE GAME

[Edit Taos - Let's be nice to others shall we?]
 acdcfanbill
04-07-2003, 10:57 PM
DigitalVapor, if you ever post again like that you will be placed under a ban. Firstly, all caps is discouraged almost everywhere anyone posts. It is also very inapproprate to insult other members of this board. Any more of this pseudo-flaming and name calling will not be tolerated, but still feel free to discuss the subject. Thanks you.
 Gungalley
04-08-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Jedi220
What a mature attitude. Sir, I salute you. http://www.themanipulation.com/bsflag.gif) *salutes*

Newbies? Excuse me sir, but if you're going in there killing everyone with no rhyme or reason, it appears that you're acting sort of newb-ish.

Whoring peeps is the way you like to play? Jeez, I don't think that's the point of the game...it may be in an FFA, but if you're dueling, then by all means no. Who respects an opponent who comes in and slashes the living crap out of everyone?

What name will you be playing under? I'd like to ban you in advance from any servers I run.

:rolleyes:

Hey im with you, these are all that makes JK2 different from CS, Quake etc...
 Bacon00
04-08-2003, 1:55 AM
Vapor, I think your post and how it was written speaks for itself.

I see no reason to waste my time arguing with you.

;)
 Matariel
04-08-2003, 2:24 AM
When JK3 is released, I'm killing anybody and everybody.

If you want to play like that, play quake or something, jk2 is not that kind of game.
FFA's aside, duels must be handled with some ettiquete (which these forums are sadly without lately). In a duel, saber off means dont attack, you're just a talentless weasel if you kill them like that. If the other guy doesnt budge and sits there with the saber off, walk away, terminate the duel, kill him in FFA, whatever.

Its bastards like you guys that i dont like to play this game online, if you want a fragfest, play quake okay?
 shock ~ unnamed
04-08-2003, 3:47 AM
Originally posted by Matariel
If you want to play like that, play quake or something, jk2 is not that kind of game.
FFA's aside, duels must be handled with some ettiquete (which these forums are sadly without lately). In a duel, saber off means dont attack, you're just a talentless weasel if you kill them like that. If the other guy doesnt budge and sits there with the saber off, walk away, terminate the duel, kill him in FFA, whatever.

Its bastards like you guys that i dont like to play this game online, if you want a fragfest, play quake okay?

CLICK ME (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=220541)
 Matariel
04-08-2003, 7:36 AM
??
yeah, starwars galaxies, whoop-di-doo, i have heard of it.
Relevance?

As i said before, if you want a fragfest, play quake alright?
JK is supposed to be a game of skill. not a game of whoever can think of the most weasely way to quickly kill your opponent. Jedi knight was made so that people could play a jedi from star wars in a game. Have you seen star wars at all? They fight for a while in their duels, taunting each other, testing each other. Not one swing and they're dead.

And just one thing, exactly what RPG elements will be 'forced' upon us in JA? All ive heard is that you can choose the look of your character. Oh no! the RPGers have invaded! whatever shall we do!?! I must now go commit mass psycho murder in a jk2 server!
 shock ~ unnamed
04-08-2003, 9:30 AM
??
yeah, starwars galaxies, whoop-di-doo, i have heard of it.
Relevance?

JK is supposed to be a game of skill. not a game of whoever can think of the most weasely way to quickly kill your opponent. Jedi knight was made so that people could play a jedi from star wars in a game. Have you seen star wars at all? They fight for a while in their duels, taunting each other, testing each other. Not one swing and they're dead.

And just one thing, exactly what RPG elements will be 'forced' upon us in JA? All ive heard is that you can choose the look of your character. Oh no! the RPGers have invaded! whatever shall we do!?! I must now go commit mass psycho murder in a jk2 server!

I have a better idea than playing Quake though.
How about I play JK3 and get really good at it like I did JK2.

This won’t be hard because people like me who play it for what it is (a game not a fantasy world to escape into) tend to get really good really fast because our sole focus is winning.

Now after I have gotten really good I will start to do what I do now in JK2:
Go onto public servers and kill every single person there regardless of whether they want me to or not.

See the nifty thing is even though these people try to stop me and really want to stop me they simply can’t. I didn’t spend the last year bowing, bitching or complaining.

I spent it playing and progressively getting better and better.

I’m not joking, you have no idea how many of us competitive players absolutely enjoy watching fanboys go nuts when we hit public servers just to mess with them.

99% of the time we don’t even have to say a single word, just kick them to death and the Caps Lock laden insults start pouring out.
 Luc Solar
04-08-2003, 10:59 AM

Quake does not offer what JO/JA does. It does not have a saber or force. And I'm quite curious of what exactly a FFA is but a fragfest? Kill and score points, yes? Deathmatch?

JK is supposed to be a game of skill. not a game of whoever can think of the most weasely way to quickly kill your opponent.

And by weasely or dishonourable or lame you mean "whatever I wasn't prepared for or couldn't counter"? You do see how silly that would be, I'm sure. Secondly, what relevance does "skill" have with all this? The more skilled wins. The one with less skill ends up whining about "laming". That's how it is.

Have you seen star wars at all? They fight for a while in their duels, taunting each other, testing each other. Not one swing and they're dead.

This comparing a game to the movies-thing is really starting to piss me off. First of all: it's not a movie. Secondly: every single one of your movie-comparisons is total BS. No, A jedi and Sith do not chit-chat honourably, taunt, test each other or whatever. Remember Maul and Qui-Gon in the desert? Maul just attacked! Didn't even bow! How lame, huh? :rolleyes:

How about Maul, Obi & Qui-Gon? How many times exactly did they kneel and bow before starting to fight? How many swings did it take for any saberist to kill another one in the movies? One.

So let's just drop the whole "movie-argument". It's way beyond retarded.

...exactly what RPG elements will be 'forced' upon us in JA? All ive heard is that you can choose the look of your character.

It's not te elements that we're worried about. It's the idiots who constantly whine about anything that does not go exactly according to their OWN little Book of Honourz.

If I feel every Jedi should scratch their ass before a duel, would you find that cool? And if you said: "well, I don't want to scratch my ass", I'd reply: "WTF LAMMER NO HONOUR!" and kick you off the server.
 Matariel
04-08-2003, 2:33 PM
look, i like a good game of jk2 FFA as much as the next guy, but when someone kills me while sitting perfectly still, typing something into my console, or chatting (sabre in or out) i dont take kindly to it. You cant tell me that thats a weasel kill. Please dont tell me that the strafe jumping business "separates the vets from the n00bs", it just makes you look like an idiot when u do that move, its worse than the CS bunnyhopping. It may make you go faster, granted, but it doesnt take any 'skill', so get over yourselves.
Nobody has even spoken of lightning spamming yet, but where i play its a big no-no, running into a group of already fighting ppl and killing the lot of em with lightning, thats just not on.
And what i mean by using skill to win a duel, is a fair fight. No pull-backstab kinda stuff (and i still think its good thats out now), no one shot kills. I know these are possible in jk2 with the red stance and a poor defence, but it really shouldnt be like that. One all powerful move shouldnt be allowed, its bad game design.
And about the Maul/Qui-gon/Obi-wan duel, it was pretty silent, but remember maul only had 2 lines in the whole film.
And i dont know where this bowing crap came from, i certainly dont do it (but at lans we juggle the mice up and down and start trash-talkin each other :)) but we do that stuff for FUN. Thats why people do these things, for fun. If you dont think its fun to do these things, dont play on those servers. I cerntainly will quit any server who will kill me with my saber down, or when im typing something.
But i still think people who kill like that is better suited to quake type games.
My opinions people, none of us are wrong here, we just have different opinions.
Why cant anyone in this forum be friends?!?! For about 2 weeks after it started it was fine...then the yoda model was leaked, and it just went downhill from there....
 DigitalVapor
04-08-2003, 2:48 PM
Look, after what I hope was only a short tiff with he moderators about my uncharacteristicaly outspoken anger with the initial comments of Bacon00. All I have left to say is this. Dont trash a game thats not even out over somthing the game has no control over, and dont complain so much about the developers patch jobs because they only do what you ask them to. Its not right so say "fix this" then when they do say "Oh well Thats not good enough, do THIS-" And lastly, If you dont like how people play the game, play somewhere else or get over it, but shut up about it. Shoving it down people's throats only causes trouble.

Calmly Recomposed,
Digital Vapor
 Rad Blackrose
04-08-2003, 3:11 PM
look, i like a good game of jk2 FFA as much as the next guy, but when someone kills me while sitting perfectly still, typing something into my console, or chatting (sabre in or out) i dont take kindly to it. You cant tell me that thats a weasel kill. Please dont tell me that the strafe jumping business "separates the vets from the n00bs", it just makes you look like an idiot when u do that move, its worse than the CS bunnyhopping. It may make you go faster, granted, but it doesnt take any 'skill', so get over yourselves.

Then steer clear of the no holds barred servers and stick to the servers that have rules put into effect on them, simple.

And "strafe jumping" does require practice, and as such is then skill. Not everyone can bunnyhop.

Nobody has even spoken of lightning spamming yet, but where i play its a big no-no, running into a group of already fighting ppl and killing the lot of em with lightning, thats just not on.
And what i mean by using skill to win a duel, is a fair fight. No pull-backstab kinda stuff (and i still think its good thats out now), no one shot kills.

I took out the movie part because I was ready to bludgeon myself over the head with a blunt object.

Flash back to ye olde days of medieval warfare. Dueling existed back then. And guess what? Anything went. If you could coup de Jarnac your foe, then you won. Fairness in a duel is an oxymoron, at best.

Also, there were so many counters available during the pull/backstab era, it wasn't even funny. All I see you doing here is whining about how you can't counter a certain move. I find dueling to be like chess: It is actions and counter actions that are resolved to the death of one person (or both if the winner is bleeding pretty badly).

Absorb negates lightning, welcome to "How to play Jedi Knight II 101."

But i still think people who kill like that is better suited to quake type games.
My opinions people, none of us are wrong here, we just have different opinions.
Why cant anyone in this forum be friends?!?! For about 2 weeks after it started it was fine...then the yoda model was leaked, and it just went downhill from there....

Opinions are like *******s, everybody has one.

I am so trying to resist the temptation to flame up a storm right now...

And this didn't start with the Yoda model, get your facts straight.
 Solo4114
04-08-2003, 3:17 PM
Interesting posts, overall.

This HAS been a big problem with the JO community, but it's a problem that has hit more than just the JO community. Admittedly, the RPers aren't play the game as intended, but as long as they're playing on their own servers with clearly marked rules, more power to 'em. I hope they have fun.

By the same token, people who use glitches, such as the backstab or strafe jumping or the blue lunge in mid-air, those who say they play to win and to win alone are arguably using techniques not intended for use (assuming they're bugs that haven't been coded around yet) and are ALSO not playing the game as intended. And, like the RPers, as long as they're playing by server rules, more power to 'em. I hope they have fun.

The real problem comes into play when two distinct communities come into contact. As has been stated, these communities are the competitive players and the "friendly" players. I'm also going to include the "casual" players in the "friendly" category: these are the players who do want to play the game to kill folks, who do want to play it as intended (IE: not RPing or glitching), but who are less concerned with winning, necessarily, and more concerned with having a good time independent of winning. This is the problem that plagues all of online gaming nowadays: you have people who are willing to play one way in order to win at all costs, and others who view certain tactics as BS. Who's right? Who the hell knows. Take BF1942 for example. There's a constant debate in that game about spawn camping (camping an enemy's uncapturable base and killing them as soon as they spawn). On the one hand, people say "It's not prevented by the game, and dammit, I want to win." That's often the competitive gamers. On the other hand, there are folks who say, "Spawn camping is lame and ruins the fun of the game."

I tend to fall more into the latter category, but I ALSO accept the fact that if I go onto a public server, especially an un-admined one, I run the risk of dealing with people who will be only too happy to spawn camp.

By the same token, when players, either RPers, "friendly"/"casual" players, or competitive players all meet on a public server, they should accept that you're essentially living in Thunderdome. And no, we can't get Beyond it. :) (pats self on back for obvious lame joke) We all have to accept that, on an unadmined server, the majority will rule.

That said, I'd like to propose a NEW code of honor (or honour, if you're on the other side of the pond).

1.) Do not force your playing style on someone else on a PUBLIC server.
2.) Do not vote people off of the server unless they are actually cheating in order to win.
3.) Do not vote someone off SIMPLY because the are winning.
4.) Play by the rules of the server.
5.) If you don't like the gameplay on the server, leave. If everyone's RPing and you want to frag, find a frag server, rather than sitting on the server complaining. If you want to RP and everyone's spamming the backstab move or what have you, don't sit there and say "OMFG!! LAME!! SABRE OFF = PEECE!!!" Just leave and find a server more to your liking.

One thing that REALLY helped me get over being pissed at people who use what I happen to consider lame tactics is finding a group of folks who feel the way I do and who play on a private server. It's not a clan, it's a gaming community. If you really want to have fun, find yourself a community similar to this, or form your own.

Meet on the boards, like this one, discuss how you like to play (DISCUSS it, don't flame people about it), and hopefully you'll find a group of like-minded individuals. Once you've done this, hopefully one of you will have access to a server or will find a server that shares your views. Go play there. I guarantee you'll have MUCH more fun and have much less anger about how other people play when you're playing with people who play the way you like.

In the meantime, consider everyone online as a libertarian: don't try to tell 'em how to play unless the rules of the system are set up that way to begin with.
 Prime
04-08-2003, 3:23 PM
Originally posted by Solo4114
That said, I'd like to propose a NEW code of honor (or honour, if you're on the other side of the pond).

1.) Do not force your playing style on someone else on a PUBLIC server.
2.) Do not vote people off of the server unless they are actually cheating in order to win.
3.) Do not vote someone off SIMPLY because the are winning.
4.) Play by the rules of the server.
5.) If you don't like the gameplay on the server, leave. If everyone's RPing and you want to frag, find a frag server, rather than sitting on the server complaining. If you want to RP and everyone's spamming the backstab move or what have you, don't sit there and say "OMFG!! LAME!! SABRE OFF = PEECE!!!" Just leave and find a server more to your liking. Good points. And "Honour" also applies to us above the 49th parallel :)
 leXX
04-08-2003, 3:35 PM
Excellent post Solo4114. I completely agree with everything you said, and it re-inforces my original post about leaving a server if it isn't to your liking. I don't understand why people constantly complain about the way people play, when all they have to do is find another server more suitable to their needs.
 Mandalorian54
04-08-2003, 5:02 PM
I didn't know the back stab and strafe jump were glitches. But if you can do them, why not. They arn't cheap if evryone can do them and they don't give too much of an advantage to one player.

But servers that don't specify, I think means that they allow anything. The only rules, are the ones that the game itself enforces, like not being allowed to walk on air.

So don't wine when people RP, but don't wine when people kill you when your sabers down. If you don't want to die with your saber down, go to a specified surver. It's that simple.

Sometimes I play casual, and sometimes competative. But usually casual with a little competativeness in there.
 Solo4114
04-08-2003, 5:30 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Good points. And "Honour" also applies to us above the 49th parallel :)

Damn! Forgot about you "commonwealth" folks. Oh well. 54-40 or fight, I always say. :D (P.S. Is Canada -- where I'm assuming you're from -- actually a commonwealth now or what?)

Anyway, one of the main reasons why I posted that little Hono(u)r code there, along with the suggestions to find a group of folks to play with who dig your style of play is so that we can actually have a feeling of community, even with disparate opinions. I've been able to find that in RTCW and BF1942 and it just makes the game SO much more enjoyable, especially if your server is admined well. It's even more fun to open it up to the public and bring in new people who happen to stumble across the server. Unfortunately, finding someone with the infrastructure to host a real server can be tricky (as opposed to using your own PC as a server, which really isn't viable for good gaming). Regardless, it can still be fun to get a group of folks together and go find a pub to play on. It's like being part of a clan, but without the structure of a clan (IE: no practices, no required competitions, etc.). It leaves you feeling like there really IS a community, even if it doesn't extend much beyond the group of guys you're playing with. (and as long as you've got a full server, who the hell cares what the rest of the world is doing. :) )
 Tesla
04-08-2003, 6:00 PM
Yes no rpg more hacking,more slashing!! :D
 Spider AL
04-08-2003, 7:52 PM
Originally posted by Matariel:

Its bastards like you guys that i dont like to play this game online, if you want a fragfest, play quake okay?I tell you what, if you don't like being fragged, go play... whatever it is thin-skinned whiner fanboys like to play.

Originally posted by Matariel:

If you want to play like that, play quake or something, jk2 is not that kind of game.Who says? You? How arrogant. You'll forgive me if I choose to ignore you. I shouldn't even be replying to this drivel this once.

Originally posted by Solo4114:

Do not vote people off of the server unless they are actually cheating in order to win.This is an invitation to fanboys to kick people off. They ALWAYS think those that win are cheating. Other than that your code of honour seems fine.
 shock ~ unnamed
04-08-2003, 8:01 PM
All I have to add is boy am I going to have fun type killing some of you in around 5 months.

:D
 Rad Blackrose
04-08-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by shock ~ unnamed
All I have to add is boy am I going to have fun type killing some of you in around 5 months.

*slides unnamed some money under the table*

Solo4114
04-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Spider AL
This is an invitation to fanboys to kick people off. They ALWAYS think those that win are cheating. Other than that your code of honour seems fine.

Well, true. I can remember one guy who, after 1.03 came out, was CONVINCED I had a script that turned on absorb when he attacked me. He hadn't read the readme and learned that it was just the blue glow that turned on, not absorb itself.

That said, I'm talking about someone who, say, runs around at like 50 times normal speed, someone who you shoot 5 rockets into and they don't die, etc. Obvious stuff like that. Not "Hey this guy kicked my ass four times, he must be cheating." It's not just if you THINK he's cheating. You should have other people confirm it as well.

By the same token, I should add

Don't blindly vote someone off just because someone SAYS they're cheating or what have you. Ask them to explain it, let the other person defend themselves. IF they say, "HA HA HA!! N00b!! I PwNz0R J00!!! PH34R M3!!!!" well, that's probably a good sign that they are cheating. :) If they say "What the hell? I executed the DFA twice on this guy and he was dumb enough to get hit by it. That's not cheating," then you should think twice about vote kicking. Basically, don't abuse the votekick.
 shock ~ unnamed
04-09-2003, 12:46 AM
Public cheats for JK2:

1.02 server crash application.

2 open gl wall hacks (all versions).

A cvar crack to remove cheat protected console cvars for 1.04 (this is actually used heavily on Omni mod servers by some people, but fairly useless in base jk2).

*Supposedly there is a second rate aimbot floating around now but I have yet to actually see it (the file or it in use).

That's it, nothing else and I'm willing to bet 99% of the people reading this didn't even know those I mentioned even existed.

The problem with "kicking people for cheating" in JK2/3 is the way the game play tends to favor "out of the ordinary" looking combos and moves.

Sure every player knows how to kick, but go by a CTF server and ask the vets to show you quad kicking or stop by our FF duel server and I guarantee I could show you combos you have never even seen before.

How this translates into a problem is when these people go to public servers and play.

Trust me when I say we hear a lot of WTF? and YOU'RE HACKING! comments.
 Luc Solar
04-09-2003, 5:48 AM
Sure didn't know about those cheats (except for the server crash).

I was playing a few days ago and it seemed this one guy could pull my weapon despite me having absorb on. I wasn't 100% sure about that though... so I called him a LamerH@xor and tried to kickvote him off the server for the rest of the game.

Just kidding. :D But seriously, has anyone experienced this? It was probably my absorb that happened to switch off all those times..or I just ran out of ammo. I dunno. I was drunk. :(
 shock ~ unnamed
04-09-2003, 7:15 AM
base jk2 or a mod?
Reason I ask is Vulcan's and Jedi Academy mod have very weird push/pull physics at times.

There are times when I am dead locked on and lit up red (crosshair) and I can literally pull 5 times in a row with no result (at point blank range).

Other times I push and I'm not even remotely aiming in the direction of my target and he gets a full push effect.

I've noticed the "silent absorb" bug is pretty common in Jedi Academy mod too.

If it was base jk2 I'd say it was probably the booze.
 Matariel
04-09-2003, 7:23 AM
did someone call me a fanboy?
meh, i dont care, the term was made up by some 1337 H4><0r anyways...

All im saying is that i like the saber action in the movies, and i wanna play that in the games, thats why i bought the game, thats why i still play the game, thats why i'll buy and play JA
 Luc Solar
04-09-2003, 7:58 AM
Originally posted by shock ~ unnamed
base jk2 or a mod?

Vulcanus Admin mod.

But you're probably right...it was the booze. :o
 yolkboy
04-09-2003, 5:15 PM
:cheers: Cheers! :guiness:
 Bacon00
04-09-2003, 8:35 PM
Question - did the Jedi and the Sith *BOW* before they started fighting?!

HELL NO, they flew at each other and started hackin.

All of this bowing, saber off crap is a bunch of fabricated goosh! In the movies, if a jedi was sitting there with his saber off, he wouldn't scream out "OMG WTF LAMERZZZ!!!!!" if somebody shot him/sliced him.

Stop sayin that you're "recreating the movies" for god's sake!!!
 Matariel
04-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Rad Blackrose
Flash back to ye olde days of medieval warfare. Dueling existed back then. And guess what? Anything went. If you could coup de Jarnac your foe, then you won. Fairness in a duel is an oxymoron, at best.
What history books have you been reading? Or havent you gotten up to that stuff in primary(elementary) school?
Duels were the most honerable ways to settle disputes at the time. There were no courts, so they challenged each other to a duel. Same weapons, same distance apart(for guns) with many people watching so no-one cheated. If someone did cheat, they were ususally finished off by the people around.
Try looking up 'Duel' or 'Duelling' in the dictionary or encyclopaedia, you'll find a lot more useful information.

And this didn't start with the Yoda model, get your facts straight.
Im not talking about this current dispute or RPGers vs. 'Killers', im talking about the state of these forums, that little incident got a lot of people pissed off, and made many of the good people on the forums, that contributed much to the community, leave. Thats what im talking about, so get your facts straight.
 Bacon00
04-10-2003, 1:47 AM
A bit off topic, but what made me leave was 1.04.

It sucks.
 Luc Solar
04-10-2003, 3:38 AM
U 1.03-lovin' BackstabWh0ringLamerz! :swear: ;)

(I hated 1.03. and 1.04 forced me to ditch the saber only scene)
 SlapNut
04-10-2003, 5:15 AM
look at my sig
 Luc Solar
04-10-2003, 5:49 AM
No Honourz, SlapNutty? :confused: :(

BTW - you might want to check your spelling... ("Giude") unless "screw spelling" is one of your rules too, that is. :D
 Rad Blackrose
04-10-2003, 3:58 PM
Incoming rant, if you have not purchased a shock-resistant helmet courtesy of LucasForums, please do so now.

What history books have you been reading? Or havent you gotten up to that stuff in primary(elementary) school?
Duels were the most honerable ways to settle disputes at the time. There were no courts, so they challenged each other to a duel. Same weapons, same distance apart(for guns) with many people watching so no-one cheated. If someone did cheat, they were ususally finished off by the people around.
Try looking up 'Duel' or 'Duelling' in the dictionary or encyclopaedia, you'll find a lot more useful information.

I stated medieval period, not renaissance period. This is the period with longswords, not the rapier (the best choice of weaponry of fencers, back in the day). The code of Gentlemen did not come until the renaissance.

Duels back in those days were started over the pettiest things, and most of the time the accusations were false.

Thank you for reading, kthxbai.

By the way, nice subtile flame, but don't make me pull out the flamethrower.

Now, for the real rant.

----

Today, I came on the server I administrate after a bit of mapping to see what was going on, and to get in a few duels before I went back to mapping.

Two players were on the server by the name of Godiva and mtllcARMS, besides the regulars that usually hang around. mtllcARMS challenged me to a duel (please note that I was under my alias, KOS-MOS*ASC*, at the time), and I hammered his butt fair and square.

A few minutes later, Godiva challenged me to a duel, and he was one of the usual idiots. I'm talking attempted yellow undercut spamming and such. Read him like an open book. I ended to the duel by kicking him to the ground, and giving him a red slice right down the middle of him.

After the duel, I get the following words:

"You have no honor."
"I'm never dueling you again, honorless fool."

So, I responded how I read him like an open book, and that anything and everything goes in dueling on our server. He kept throwing around the honor thing, and I just /amsilenced him, and explained that I wouldn't tolerate other's people whining and coming to other servers just to force their "code" on other people. I don't force *ASC* rules on anyone when it comes to the server I administrate.

After the silence, mtllcARMS started whining up a storm, claiming admin abuse and things and that Godiva should be unsilenced. I kicked both of them.

They both came back.

Godiva started whining about honor again and claimed admin abuse.

I banned him.

mtllcARMS saw he had no avenue left to pursue, called us a bunch of fags and honorless pricks, and left before I could ban him too.

---

It has now gotten to the point that I no longer appreciate the "honor whining" crowd. These are the people who in 1.02 didn't have a clue on how to fight effectively, and instead hid behind a code thinking they were safe. Wrong boat.

I think these code boys pissed off the wrong person now.

Oh, and Solo, that code would be a godsend if followed, but unfortunately people would spinjob that worst then a "hellfire and brimstone" preacher when taking something out of context from the Bible.
 Doctor Shaft
04-10-2003, 4:25 PM
Sigh... the 'honourz' code strikes again.

Having honor is good and swell, but I think one of the attributes of an 'honorable' players is his/her humility. In other words, they do not go around talking to people about honor. Honor is almost an unsaid thing. You talk about it when someone needs it to be explained to them, but then you've got a huge crowd on JO that simply throws the word around. "I say the word honor, therefore I have it and know it". In reality, they are the most dishonorable players. The most dishonorable players are the ones who speak about their honor, join some clan that preaches about it, then accepts a dueling challenge, but 'conveniently' isn't ready to fight. Ever. Pomp and circumstance. People say that the players threatening "fragfest wars" on others are rude or ruthless, but truly the most dishonorable players are the ones who do not respect skills when they see them, regardless if they think the game is of good structure or fun. If you can't win against them, even if they are using something as simple and annoying as backstab, then indeed it is YOU who should be paying respects and honor, not the other way around. And please, no replies about 'well, that's true except when they use this exploit... etc'. Yes yes, we should all know that, thanks, didn't need that explained.

Renaissaince dueling: yeah, sure, it was an honorable contest, and people were there to ensure no cheating, but at the same time, the duel was a 'serious' affair, where as the 'honourz' and bowing in JO dueling is far from it. JO is a game, Renaissaince dueling was real. Forcing people to bow to you is not honorable. That sounds more like someone is trying to glorify themselves. "I won't fight you unless you bow/pay respects" Who are you to expect that kind of treatment? Earn it first, then receive. I'm sure if we saw a renaissaince duel, it would not be plagued with 5 minutes of smiling and encouragment, followed by periodic breaks to say something. The men were ANGRY with each other. They HATED each other. The only respect they paid each other was a fair fight, and that was just to ensure that when they won, the result would be even MORE glorious. I guarentee that if they could murder each other without having to impress others or themselves, formal dueling wouldn't exist. But that ends my say on things.
 Luc Solar
04-10-2003, 4:49 PM
After the duel, I get the following words:
"You have no honor."
"I'm never dueling you again, honorless fool."
Godiva started whining about honor again and claimed admin abuse.
I banned him.
mtllcARMS saw he had no avenue left to pursue, called us a bunch of fags and honorless pricks, and left before I could ban him too.

Where are these people hiding? Seriously? I'd love for hear what they have to say. Not just a random "Ur cheap. Lamer!!" -insult right before they disconnect, but a real well thought-out post explaining what the hell they are doing and why.

Do these people only hang out on their clan forums or what?

*ahem*

If any "honourable" Jedi's are out there, please post something! Please enlighten us on how this game obviously is meant to be played. Preach your Code! Save us from our dishonourzable cheap-ass selves! :)
 Mandalorian54
04-10-2003, 5:12 PM
If it's a duel, I can understand honor. But if the other person doesn't bow, why do you put your saber down and let yourself die. You just wan't an excuse to call someone a cheater and wine. If your fighting your friends, it's one thing. If your fighting complete strangers, it's another thing.

In real life, dueling is an organized method of disputing problems. But if your in a room full of people running around shooting evrywhere, and the object is to get the most points. Then hack away. That's the point.

The only time I would bow in a free for all, is if we were both waiting for the other person to make the first move, which has happened plenty.

In that case, often one will lower thier sabre and try to decieve his opponent into thinking your off guard, then pulling a move or somthing.

And somtimes both people will lower thier sabres and bow or whatever. But theres no Honor involed in a free for all with complete strangers. In real life if you walked into a blazing room would you expect evryone to stop fighting and bow to you like your some friken king?!? NO!

So for heavens sake, stop wining. It's not like by other people not bowing your rights are being taken away.

P.S. I'm not sure exactly what comon weath means.

And I think the lame RPers arn't showing cuz their too buisy playing the game, that's probably the only thing they do all day long. Friken nerds have no lives. (Not saying theyre all nerds, just some.) No seriously I know some prety cool people who RP, but they sure don't wine, or put their sabers down as an act of T.O.

Theirs no T.O. in JK! If there was, it would be called pause.
 Matariel
04-10-2003, 11:16 PM
solo gave a pretty decent 'code' to follow, and i agree with it.
If you guys dont like the code of conduct on a server, quit first, then u wont complain about being kicked.

and Blackrose, yeah youre right about the medievil things, but back then it wasnt exactly a 'duel' im talking about "you have offended my honour sir! i challenge you to a duel! Rapiers at dawn!" that kinda stuff
Page: 3 of 4