Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

Page: 18 of 20
 Obi_Kwiet
04-12-2003, 3:59 PM
An ATAT woulodbe cool but it would have to be a big expensive thing you buy later in the game. You could also rucruit newer player and NPC's to build an army of paid mercsanaries.:blast5:
 SettingShadow
04-12-2003, 4:57 PM
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet
An ATAT woulodbe cool but it would have to be a big expensive thing you buy later in the game. You could also rucruit newer player and NPC's to build an army of paid mercsanaries.:blast5:

That sounds a bit... too PRG'ish... and an AT-AT... kill me please :|
 Izzy
04-12-2003, 6:03 PM
All those RPG ideas may be okay, but I think its overkill.
 Obi_Kwiet
04-12-2003, 6:40 PM
We were talking abought an JK/RPG what is was thinking about would be a little too realistic.and boaring. I do think you could hire a merc to take out a certian guy though. Plus if i dont get broad band soon I won't be able to play it.:) ( agggg everyone thinks i'm talking about JK3 if you look up at one of the posts above you will see that were were talking about a possible JK4 :rolleyes: )
 joesdomain
04-12-2003, 8:28 PM
I don't think you should own something like a AT-ST Walker or AT-AT Walker. Maybe in Jedi Academy you could hijack or steal one and use it against the enemy. That would be much better.
 boinga1
04-12-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet
We were talking abought an JK/RPG what is was thinking about would be a little too realistic.and boaring. I do think you could hire a merc to take out a certian guy though. Plus if i dont get broad band soon I won't be able to play it.:)

uh...JA is singleplayer (no internet needed) and MP....you know....
 Blademaster_109
04-13-2003, 12:03 AM
I read an enterview with the about the game and the guy claimed he played a demo of it. I pay ne thing to get it.
 Shotokan
04-13-2003, 3:39 AM
since their both using the same engine, will the models an stuff that we already have be able to be used in JA?
 SettingShadow
04-13-2003, 4:13 AM
Raven said they will release tools before the game is released so we be able to convert them to JA.. so yes.
 DragonKnight
04-13-2003, 9:15 AM
Yes an AT-AT...with some hydrolics and some bass kicken speakers...that will allow you to play your own MP3s while you play the game...maybe a custom paint job;) And would it not be cool if when an enemy gets cut in half with a lightsaber, the uper torso crawls a little bit...maybe with some intestines hanging out...like in the movie ghost ship? Or how about a wall runnig move like in the Matixs, where you run parallel to the floor and not just verticle like outcast? Yeah! Are you feeling me? Are you feeling me baby!.......word.
 Lord Chief
04-13-2003, 10:59 AM
We'll just have to wait and see what it wil be like. I just hope one thing: that they won't cripple the community for this game as they have done with Jk2 by bringing out patches that make the sabercombat completely worthless and more of a spamfest than actual tactical battles like they still were in JK2 v1.02
 Blademaster_109
04-13-2003, 12:13 PM
is there an american version of gamestar? and what do credits do?
 SettingShadow
04-13-2003, 12:20 PM
Each time you post, you get credits, with those credits you can buy things from the Store (http://www.lucasforums.com/store.php?s=&action=main) ;)
 Blademaster_109
04-13-2003, 7:55 PM
in jk II u could like square off and have to cilck as fast as u can to win, will u be able to do this jkIII? Also the good things about light saber combat is that u get to have combos and it will be more organized.
 joesdomain
04-13-2003, 9:23 PM
I wonder when Lucasarts will show some of the creatures and villians for Jedi Academy. I hope they show it within the next few weeks. Imperial stormtroopers, Imperial Officers, Probe droids, etc.
 SithLord13
04-13-2003, 9:32 PM
Originally posted by joesdomain
I wonder when Lucasarts will show some of the creatures and villians for Jedi Academy. I hope they show it within the next few weeks. Imperial stormtroopers, Imperial Officers, Probe droids, etc. Most likely with E3 around the corner nothing will be said until then :D
 Andy867
04-13-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
is there an american version of gamestar?

If you look on the JKII.Net (http://www.jediknightii.net) webiste, there is a post from Matt-Windu that has a news post about some guys that translated the Gamestar Review of Jedi Academy into English
 Elliot334
04-14-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by AV4T4R
Please make saber and gunz balanced.

There was a mod for jk2 called PROMOD, it built a CLASS system where u were able to build your charachter forming up a SITH, a JEDI or a Mercenary skilled in gunz. ( with jetpack aviable)

Now after Episode II, people started getting fascinated by JANGO FETT style... and after all, a JEDI most of the time deflect bolts, doesnt fight with other ones!

So i suppose to give player the opportunity to build their own charachter from JEDI to MERCENARY, so they can choose their GAME style and JK3 will be able to give MORE challanges and tactics variety to the saga :P

Imagine JEDI vs MERCENARY ( with jetpack )... what a cool vision :D

I think rather than a class system, which can get really messy, how about Raven actually balance saber and guns? It’s not that difficult. And you don’t have to nerf sabers to do it either…

Firstly, in Jk1, when you rounded a corner and found yourself in front of a legion of Stormtroopers, and they all started firing, you would actually get hit, because I don’t care if you are Yoda, if you have hundreds of blaster bolts flying at you, I’m sorry, you can’t deflect them all, even a Jedi.

I mean, why did Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan run when the destroyer droids came rolling out, because they knew they were outgunned and outmatched. They couldn’t stand there and take that much fire-power for an extended period of time. Granted the destroyers had shields, but technically we have shields in Jedi Outcast as well, and shields wear down over time, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan knew that they wouldn’t last that long, so they ran.

This whole god-like-Kyle-moving-faster-than-the-human-eye-can-perceive blocking a wall of blaster fire that we saw in JO, just doesn’t look right and isn’t realistic. In Jk1 you blocked a lot of that fire, but some still got through. I mean, those turrets that you go up against in JO, come on, you could have two of them firing at you and you could just stand there and give your hands a rest without even pausing the game. At least that’s been my experience. Weapons like the Repeater should cause a saberist to do some pretty fancy and evasive acrobatics or the saberist should end up dead.

Which brings me to another point, why on earth does a saber reflect weapons fire from a repeater? The saber should simply melt the bullets not reflect them. Same in Jk1, you could reflect repeater fire? And I know I have mentioned this before, but why does force push reflect blaster bolts, that’s manipulating energy with your mind! Jedi’s should be able to tie enemy lightsabers into knots with that ability.

But they don’t have that ability, they should only be able to force push physical projectiles, such as missiles.

So, in short, rapid fire weapons should be a Jedi’s nightmare, as Jango proved to a few unfortunate Jedis on Geonosis with his dual blaster pistols. Bryar fire doesn’t stop a Jedi (except in Outcast MP v1.04) Repeater fire does. (This being my humble opinion of course… :D)
 Gungalley
04-14-2003, 4:20 AM
The saber combat. JK2 was great except for a few flaws. One of them was the saber combat. I hope that in JA, the saber combat will be smoothen. In JK2, you can actually see how messy the saber combats were with all the illogical hits and blocks. Also, the AI bots, especially in non-force MP duel games, the way they fight is bad. They keep walking towards and away from their enemies and all i see is sparks die to the saber touching each other. I hope that this will change.

The other gripe is about the weapon clones. While the Rocket Launcher is a great idea, the Flak cannon wasn't. And i really hope that hte weapon models will be more with the movies, not as in damage, but as in properties and styles. The wookie bowcaster for example, shoots red lasers instead of green balls. The pistol blaster could have been the imperial's pistol blaster or maybe Leia's pistol blaster.

Oh and pure servers. I hope that there will be improved net code and anti cheating so that pure servers will allow custom models and sounds. Most of the servers are pure to avoid cheating and this really prevents people from using custom models and sounds.

Well, i think this is common sense, but i hope animation has been changed for dual blade saber. in JK2, the animation for the dual blade is the same as single blade and it doesnt suit dual blades.
 Andy867
04-14-2003, 9:58 AM
Um, the problem with the Imperials firing their Heavy blasters is like what Obi-wan told Luke, a lightsaber is a Jedi's weapon, not as clumsy and random like a heavy blaster" Random meaning inaccurate, so, with that around the corner issue, the jedi would have to deflect all hundred shots, just the ones that are coming at him, and by doing so, reflect them back to their origin.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan knew that they wouldn’t last that long, so they ran.

Actually, I think that they shields on the droidekas would not have run out, so with just the lightsaber, the battle would have taken too long, and Obi-wan and Qui-gon didn't have all the time in the world to just stay there and deflect shots in every which direction. And I think for Jedi Academy, we SHOULDN'T have shields, which I've said before in a previous post, possibly on another thread... Since none of the Jedi got to have shields, neither should we.

And I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a class system which will include merc, since the characters are supposed to be Jedi's in training.
 JDKnite188
04-14-2003, 10:53 AM
The Multiplayer issue of balancing the saber and guns lies in one fact: increase the power of the saber. Do more damage. One or two slash kills. Basic.
 StriderPrime00
04-14-2003, 4:50 PM
I agree that 1 or 2 saber slashes should kill your enemy reguardless of stance. Dark Force Jedi Knight was like that. This way you can now sneak up behind your enemy and kill them. What was great about DF: JK was how the saber was great for quick close kills and served as a great defensive sheild against long range weapons. With the use of Force pull on someone's weapon you can disarmed them and use your saber to kill them off, unless they had a saber. Plus DF: JK also implemented a Class bases system, which made that game great. Someone who wants to use guns only should be a bounty hunter with no saber wielding skills, such as deflecting shots or generic swings in saber combat, but they can have high accuracy in shooting the gun. A jedi can use guns with moderate accuracy but can only carry a limited amount of ammo. Larger characters like wookies can have high accuracy and high ammo capacity but slower speed.

This will add depth to the game MP action as you will need to understand how to combat each class effectively. All classes should be able to use all weaspons, but certains weapons will affect each class differently. If a Wookie picks up a big rocket launcher, it will not affect his speed by much, but if a bounty hunter picks it up, he will end up moving dramatically slower, etc.

Sorry to say, but besides the graphics, DF:JK is still the better game. I hope JA will be closer to the DF:JK formula.
 boinga1
04-14-2003, 4:55 PM
I just noticed:
http://www.pcgameshots.com/core/2/b6.jpg)

The bartender is a Chiss again! AUGH!!
 Blademaster_109
04-14-2003, 7:04 PM
I am very worried that this is going to turn out bad, for good reason.

If u make it manual then the saber combat would be slowed down. Another bad thing is that if u make it manual people with guns will rule over the saber.

If its automatic then when u attack someone at ne point in time the could block it and no damage would be done. A question i have about auto is if blocks sabers.

The only thing i see for saber combat is button smashing.

Please don't flame.
 SithLord13
04-14-2003, 9:36 PM
Originally posted by StriderPrime00
I agree that 1 or 2 saber slashes should kill your enemy reguardless of stance. Dark Force Jedi Knight was like that. This way you can now sneak up behind your enemy and kill them.

Yea but if they did that they would have to increase defense abilities, because i dont think anyone wants a two second saber match. ;)
 Dunedain
04-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Actually, I do want two second duels. *If* one of the players is so unskilled
that he leaves himself wide open to be killed so easily. Saber combat should
be deadly, one or two hits and it's over. One hit, if it's a solid slice
right into the torso of the enemy.

But the system needs to be designed so that skill with the saber is what
wins duels, not mindless button mashing, but precise control and timing
of a wide variety of offensive and defensive moves.

But if you have two skilled opponents, then the duel can go on for awhile.
But it shouldn't have to drag on forever with players being able to take
hit after hit. Make it like a real duel, you fight sloppy and you die fast,
you fight well and with skill and you might just defeat the Jedi or Sith
whom you face. :) Most of the people who buy JK III are going to be fans
from JK and JK II. So the saber combat should be designed with them in mind,
not newbs who have no clue how to fight, but loyal fans who have been waiting
for an improved saber combat system for a very long time.

If Raven wants they can put a newb friendly simplistic saber mode in for newbs.
But there should be a serious detailed saber combat system for the serious fans
who want the ultimate in realistic lightsaber combat.

One thing we will definitely need to make the saber duels better is full per polygon
collision detection for the sabers in multi-player, whether the saber is
hitting another saber, or the opponents body. That is the only way to
get the precision we need.
 joesdomain
04-15-2003, 1:54 AM
I wonder if they will continue to use titles of Padawan, Knight and Master in Jedi Academy. Since Luke was the only one who knew of the old Jedi Temple's way from Yoda and Obi-Wan.
 SithLord13
04-15-2003, 4:51 PM
Originally posted by Dunedain
Actually, I do want two second duels. *If* one of the players is so unskilled
that he leaves himself wide open to be killed so easily. Saber combat should
be deadly, one or two hits and it's over. One hit, if it's a solid slice
right into the torso of the enemy.

But the system needs to be designed so that skill with the saber is what
wins duels, not mindless button mashing, but precise control and timing
of a wide variety of offensive and defensive moves.

But if you have two skilled opponents, then the duel can go on for awhile.
But it shouldn't have to drag on forever with players being able to take
hit after hit. Make it like a real duel, you fight sloppy and you die fast,
you fight well and with skill and you might just defeat the Jedi or Sith
whom you face. :) Most of the people who buy JK III are going to be fans
from JK and JK II. So the saber combat should be designed with them in mind,
not newbs who have no clue how to fight, but loyal fans who have been waiting
for an improved saber combat system for a very long time.

If Raven wants they can put a newb friendly simplistic saber mode in for newbs.
But there should be a serious detailed saber combat system for the serious fans
who want the ultimate in realistic lightsaber combat.

One thing we will definitely need to make the saber duels better is full per polygon
collision detection for the sabers in multi-player, whether the saber is
hitting another saber, or the opponents body. That is the only way to
get the precision we need.

Sounds like a plan ;)
 Kurgan
04-15-2003, 7:04 PM
Despite Kyle being all "by the book" by joining the Academy and becoming an instructor, I think they should still pay tribute to his proud Mercenary heritage.

You know, like on the side, after training you with the lightsaber and Force, he hands you a gun and teaches you how to use it effectively as well and teaches you the virtues of the personal shield. ; )

Because in these dangerous times (what with the Remnant and the Vong) you need all the help you can get to survive. Plus a Jedi would be more deadly with a blaster than any two bit bounty hunter anyway... just look at Kyle!

I hope they keep some of his rogue/loose cannon personality intact for this game. I know they're going to focus more on the saber/force this time around, but it would fit the story and characters well.
 Blademaster_109
04-16-2003, 7:05 PM
i think that the jo force meter was great and nothing to change, i posted this thread because other ppl probably have a lot of other great ideas, so please post them here.
 Solo4114
04-16-2003, 7:20 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Despite Kyle being all "by the book" by joining the Academy and becoming an instructor, I think they should still pay tribute to his proud Mercenary heritage.

You know, like on the side, after training you with the lightsaber and Force, he hands you a gun and teaches you how to use it effectively as well and teaches you the virtues of the personal shield. ; )

Because in these dangerous times (what with the Remnant and the Vong) you need all the help you can get to survive. Plus a Jedi would be more deadly with a blaster than any two bit bounty hunter anyway... just look at Kyle!

I hope they keep some of his rogue/loose cannon personality intact for this game. I know they're going to focus more on the saber/force this time around, but it would fit the story and characters well.

Agreed. If Kyle shows up, that is. I get the sense we won't see him (he may end up being an easter egg). It'd still be a nice homage to the prior games if you could have him show students how to handle a blaster and how to avoid one/defend against it. A Jedi can't afford to let his guard down at any moment, even when dealing with a holdout blaster. All it takes is one moment of laxness and you're toast, force or no force, sabres or no sabres.
 Kurgan
04-16-2003, 7:38 PM
It's true, we don't know if he's really in the game or not, but I swear they at least mentioned his name in the press release (I'll have to read it again).

I would think he'd appear in a cutscene, but I was hoping for a mission where he's an ally (much like Luke, Lando, Jan, etc in JK2).

They just better make him really powerful if they do!
 Andy867
04-16-2003, 8:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there is acovert op which requires Kyle's past experience in the matter. And therefore, he would be assigned to you, but just for that one mission/assignment.
 coupes.
04-18-2003, 3:06 PM
I agree, I guess we could use his mercenaries ways in a couple of missions.

but what i'd like for JA, is that the academy reallys serves you as an academy, i mean i would be nice if you coul actually get lessons from Luke or kyle in the different rooms of the academy much like the npc jedi in JO. It would be a great way to learn if you are new to the game and a good way practice new skills you learned, instead of spawning reborns everywhere.

I'd like the academy to be like the agency in perfect dark.
I'm thinking about a shooting range, maybe an obstacle course, a duelling arena, mabe a swimming area.. you could also acheive new levels of force by training.
 DragonKnight
04-18-2003, 6:06 PM
Yeah! and don't forget about the wet bar...nothing like a nice cold one after a hard workout! ;)
 SithLord13
04-18-2003, 8:50 PM
they should add a mission where mercs and jedis work to together to fight other mercs/jedis like kyle and lando or kyle and luke in those missions ;)
 Kurgan
04-19-2003, 2:00 AM
Yeah, the puzzles you had to do to get your saber were clever (Luke is such a jerk for making you do all that, but oh well...), but I agree, the stuff you saw the students doing was pretty cool.

And it would make sense to do some of them, because Kyle already knew how to use the Force, he just was a little rusty. These guys are starting pretty much from scratch aren't they?
 joesdomain
04-19-2003, 2:25 AM
I personally would like to see better graphics like being able to actually see blood when you cut a bad guys arm off or something like that. Be able to damage walls, panels, and other objects realistically.
 coupes.
04-19-2003, 3:46 AM
yes i agree this would be pretty nice but i'm not sure about blood caus the sber causterzes (typos) the wounds. It would be awsome to be able to destroy everithing but it's very unlikely we'll be able to do that in JA.
 flaming_wolf
04-19-2003, 9:25 AM
This isn't exactly to do with the game play in JK3, but i was wondering if JK3 would feature design softwear to make new skins and maps with like in Westwood's Comand & Conquer Generals game they give you the program to build a maps wth.

If Raven decide to put a program like this in to the game it would be greatly appreciated as it would make mapping and sking a lot easier.
:)
 SithLord13
04-19-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by flaming_wolf
This isn't exactly to do with the game play in JK3, but i was wondering if JK3 would feature design softwear to make new skins and maps with like in Westwood's Comand & Conquer Generals game they give you the program to build a maps wth.

If Raven decide to put a program like this in to the game it would be greatly appreciated as it would make mapping and sking a lot easier.
:) Well who knows if there will release anything but its still the Quake 3 engine and just about by todays standards everyone knows have to mod it ;)
 flaming_wolf
04-19-2003, 11:21 AM
:Originally posted by Sith Lord13
Well who knows if there will release anything but its still the Quake 3 engine and just about by todays standards everyone knows have to mod it

This is a good point but the tools would still be helpfull to speed things up and to help encorage people like me who have never made a skin or map 4 JK2 becouse the wolkthroughs r complex and they just dont have the tinme to make new skins.

This would then be benifital to the whole community as there would be a lot more choice:lsduel
 DragonKnight
04-19-2003, 2:23 PM
I agree, something like Deus Ex's SDK...Something fairly simple to catch on to with a user friendly interface. I look at radient and have NO idea what the hell i'm doing. It would also be nice if the charecter creator would allow fighting style and move options, sort of like Freedom Force...but I'll be happy just to play JA as long as I can use my model from JO.
 [KOC]Qui-Zan
04-19-2003, 4:57 PM
i don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but since you get to create your own character in Single-player, wouldn't it make sense to be able to use or import it into multi-player?

Also you use different parts to create your character (it the sims but with more options and things to configure) so i'd be cool if people could create those 'parts' just likes skins, designing jackets and robes etc
 Kurgan
04-19-2003, 8:14 PM
I'm sure blood won't appear in the game, but those German guys will come up with a way to put it back in, just like they did for JK2.

Dismembering will probably be toned down as before, but can be re-enabled through console commands/cfg files, etc.

Realistic damage to the levels might be a problem. I don't think the engine supports stuff on the level of Red Faction... and too much of that and you'd be able to just cut your way out of the universe... ; )
 SithLord13
04-19-2003, 9:33 PM
I hope Raven Is readin all this ;)
 Kurgan
04-19-2003, 9:48 PM
I think they're kind of busy right now, but some of them may be lurking....
 L3onheart
04-20-2003, 9:51 AM
I just hope that they support JKA better than they did JK2, and that they implement some sort of CD-KEY that works together with a banning system like Half-Life's WONID thingie. Like, you could ban a CD-KEY or a "JKA ID" so that particular lammer won't bother you again on the server.
 Izzy
04-20-2003, 7:10 PM
There are many awesome features of JKIII, but these are a few more I would like to see:

- Duel Pistols (maybe)

- Dismemberment Option for MP (making the saber lethal like it is when saberrealisticcombat is 20 in SP:D)

- Jetpack, grappling hook, and optional class based MP games

- Decent SAGA mode (the idea was there in JKII, though it didn't come off)

These are but are few things that could be added, to make JKIII an awesome game (though it already is, better, you know)

CAN NOT WAIT 4 JKIII!:)
 boinga1
04-24-2003, 8:57 PM
Originally posted by Izzy
- Duel Pistols (maybe)
In ForceMod V2 (not yet released)
-
- Dismemberment Option for MP (making the saber lethal like it is when saberrealisticcombat is 20 in SP:D)
in JO MP (don't know the original MOD's name, but SFX2 has it)
-
- Jetpack, grappling hook, and optional class based MP games
In ForceMod V1
-
- Decent SAGA mode (the idea was there in JKII, though it didn't come off)

no, not in JO :(
Page: 18 of 20