Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Attack on Yavin series(SP)

Page: 3 of 5
 master_thomas
04-14-2003, 9:10 PM
Sorry, but I didn't do any work. I got a demo version of JK1 working (like I've said, I've never played it before) and it is great :D.

The cutscene is "broken" (that's the name, it is not literally broken). I don't know why that script is missing. I put the whiole folder in and it works for me. All you're missing is an overhead view of Kyle with sparks flying everywhere. It breaks and Kyle falls. Are there anymore scripts missing? The weird texture is supposed to be a cross-section view of the elevator (really an super-enlarged, damaged, switch texture).

Back to the recent fps problems, they were caused by the agoraphobia of the Quake 3 engine and boosted by details, which were made of structural brushes.

The debris isn't turning out as I planned :(. Any ideas for brush-made details (no models, too many triangles)?

100th post in this thread!!!
 lassev
04-15-2003, 1:29 AM
Master_thomas, thank you very much. I'm deeply grateful. When I first visited these forums all those months and months ago, I though I would never go any further than bantha fodder. I just had one question about how to make two grans fight each other. Well, a lot has happened since then. When I release my map some day, you'll understand the choise of color.

Have you updated the beta2 package with the fps correction and (possibly) with the missing script? I would certainly want to see it all the way to the end, because last time it was halted due to the missing script.

You can actually make with just a few brushes quite tolerable looking computer terminals and such, if you just pick the textures wisely. Just clip some corners and make angled surfaces. Then you can connect the new low triangle decoration with a cable to some X-wing, if you want.

Maybe I could already tomorrow post some screenshots. Who knows? I haven't compiled the second map of the campaign for ages. It might give some nasty error. They seem to abound lately...
 lassev
04-15-2003, 5:55 AM
Looks like you only need a few more points, you want me to donate the remaining number you need to reach 300? I'd really love to see your finished project as well as this topic's one! I can get ya in contact with a few good voice actors who worked on Ocupation if you want, I'm sure they'd be happy of some more work
Thanks, Kengo, for thinking me and my points, even if thomas beat you... I would truly be interested in getting in contact with one of your voice actors (although I don't know yet which one. I guess I might extract the sound files of Occupation and choose the most suitable). Months ago one mapper already was interested, but he has not been around here for quite some time, so I doubt he would do it anymore. I only need one male voice for pretty long conversation. I think I could give the description, when I'll put up my own thread.
 master_thomas
04-15-2003, 7:03 AM
Well, I found why Massassi hasn't updated. Any mail from the 11th to 14th, was lost. They're having serious problems, but this is actually good for my map. I can now send a map with the script inside and with the better fps.

Your welcome, Lassev. It's always nice to see a glowing username.
 sematriclen
04-15-2003, 8:09 AM
like some1 else said the architecture is too simple u need more archways to make it look more like an eligant place being the jedi training area and all its no kejim.........
 master_thomas
04-15-2003, 3:53 PM
The problem with that is that I'm trying to make it as close to Yavin_temple as possible, except for details in the hangar, which was damaged alot inthe previous battle and was rebuilt.

Okay, I drew up some plans for the rest of The Attack On Yavin 2, and I like them. It has three paths leading to and from each room.

I'm just about to get to work on hangar details, but I need ideas. Maybe some force-influenced objects (containers, etc.). Few people incorporate those.

I've been slacking recently. Mainly playing demos, so I can make educated requests for my birthday (4/27):bday2:.

Really enjoying the JK demo. I also tried the Phantom Menace, but it has poor graphics and combat, so that's a no.
 master_thomas
04-16-2003, 7:49 AM
Well, in 6.5 hours, my 11 day Spring Break will start. :D. Lots of free time.

I've been having trouble with the walls of that new section. I did an entire level worth of complex floors and ceilings in 20 minutes, but the walls are hard to keep track of. I'll try hiding every completed room, but then, I might wall of hallway and confuse myself.

Well, I gotta go in 8 minutes.
 Louis
04-16-2003, 11:10 AM
I downloaded the Attack on Yavin 1 from your site (I assume thats still beta or is it finished?)...look on beta thread for my comments.
 master_thomas
04-16-2003, 6:45 PM
Louis, I already replied there, but the missing script was discussed here.

Spring Break! I'm going to try to get the microphone tomorrow so I can make my own sound files. I may need voice actors, but I'll see how I fare with goldwave.

How can I get a picture of the 3d or 2d view (not ingame. Otherwise I get a HOM effect, which blocks out the level. I want a z-axis view of what I've added so I can get opinions on whether this is non-linear to the point where the player may get lost or if there aere just too many hallways and not enough rooms, or vice-versa.
 Business_Eskimo
04-17-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by master_thomas
No work done today:(. Too much school work. So many 7th grade projects at once (yes, I'm in seventh grade. I turned thirteen recently (relatively recently. A month or so)...

8th grade here, im 13 too :) I'm on spring break too :D If there's anything i can do to help, let me know! :)
 lassev
04-17-2003, 1:42 AM
How can I get a picture of the 3d or 2d view (not ingame.
So, do you mean in Radiant? Try out screen capture. I have always used Paint Shop Pro for that (although not with Radiant, but it should work), but if you don't own it, I'm sure there must be a lot of free programs. Who knows, maybe Radiant has such a function itself, have you checked?

Other question: how can you take a screenshot of your custom game menu? If I remember correctly, there is some console command that will let you take a picture without the console being included in the picture, or is there?. The key bindings don't work in the menu, and I haven't yet figured out how to circumvent this problem.
 The Truthful Liar
04-17-2003, 3:39 AM
Originally posted by lassev
So, do you mean in Radiant? Try out screen capture. I have always used Paint Shop Pro for that (although not with Radiant, but it should work), but if you don't own it, I'm sure there must be a lot of free programs. Who knows, maybe Radiant has such a function itself, have you checked?

Other question: how can you take a screenshot of your custom game menu? If I remember correctly, there is some console command that will let you take a picture without the console being included in the picture, or is there?. The key bindings don't work in the menu, and I haven't yet figured out how to circumvent this problem.

Use your own advice. Print screen is your friend. ; )
 wedge2211
04-17-2003, 10:33 AM
Look for the button marked "Print Screen" or "Prnt Scrn" or somesuch on the keyboard, pressing that copies the current screen to the clipboard. Then go into any image editor and hit Ctrl+V.

Unless you have a Mac, in which case may the gods of computers have mercy on your soul.
 master_thomas
04-17-2003, 7:13 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
Look for the button marked "Print Screen" or "Prnt Scrn" or somesuch on the keyboard, pressing that copies the current screen to the clipboard. Then go into any image editor and hit Ctrl+V.

Unless you have a Mac, in which case may the gods of computers have mercy on your soul.

No mercy needed. I have windows 2000 :).

Ahhh, so that's how you use print screen. I'm such a noob at some things lol. Oh well, one thing learned. I'm farther from such a title than 5 minutes before.

I just learned my sister has a microphone, but at her own house. Not mine. I'll be seeing her over the weekend for holiday.
 master_thomas
04-17-2003, 7:56 PM
http://massassi.net/ec/images/10698.jpg)

How's this for non-linear design? The floors and ceiling took ten minutes, but I'm still doing the walls.
 Business_Eskimo
04-17-2003, 8:42 PM
wow. very non-linear. :)
 Business_Eskimo
04-17-2003, 9:53 PM
Allright, I just got finished with testing the map. First, I think that the menu, while it is great that you made a menu for the game, is blurry and I can't read anything on it. Second, the movie of Kyle going to the planet in his ship is pretty cool. I think that the cutscene at the beginning could be a bit more descriptive, as until I read the readme file I just thought there was an irritating red glow in the room. Perhaps showing the camera from farther away might help. When the cutscene finished, I moved toward the stormtroopers and reborn. Much to my suprise, stormtroopers began spawning on top of me at random! Confused, I turned on noclip and floated into the corridor beyond the room. Upon turning it off, more stormtroopers mysteriously appeared on top of me! Kyle began to switch between being visible and invisible. Several seconds later, the func_door by the room you start in, and the func_plat beyond began to do the same. I hit escape and closed the program.

These problems seem very strange to me and I have no clue as to why they are occuring.

Oh, master thomas, if you need help with custom textures, I can help.
 master_thomas
04-18-2003, 10:37 AM
That is a weird problem that I have not encountered.

I tried lots of times to get the menu easier to read.
 Kengo
04-18-2003, 10:42 AM
I have had this problem before. Basically it comes from having too many entities, particulalry NPCs and md3 models in the level at once. It isn't like FPS...it doesn't matter if you can see them or not, its just them being in the level. In Occupation I wanted to set up stormtroopers all over the level, but I couldn't because it was too many at once and I had to grade it so you go one place, stomries appear, you kill them (then they dissapear) and you fight more etc. I also got rid of a lot of md3 models I didn't need (to this day I don't like using them anymore, I'd rather have more NPCs!). I imagine this is your problem, try to avoid having too many npcs in the level at once, and avoid having more md3s than you need.
 lassev
04-18-2003, 12:05 PM
in which case may the gods of computers have mercy on your soul

I'm using WinXP, but may the gods of computers still have mercy on my soul, for me not knowing this. And I thought I know a lot about computers. You can't believe how much time I used searching my hard disk, trying to find the images print screen would save there. Clipboard! Thanks, it refreshing to know how simple things can still be beyond my graps...
 Kengo
04-18-2003, 1:08 PM
Originally posted by lassev
it refreshing to know how simple things can still be beyond my graps...

I get that feeling all the time...
 master_thomas
04-18-2003, 1:24 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, a faulty area portal caused something similar. Any character or shot within the area portal (it was deep) was invisible, but that stopped a while ago. Tell me, Business_Eskimo, how many stormies and reborn are there?

After that release, I deleted quite a few.

The only md3's in there are 6 candle things (in SP, many were placed at once), a gun rack, and a few pick ups.

That's the problem with designs like the town you had, Kengo. We mappers must rely on what the player can't see to increase perfomance. If the player can see almost anything, we have a problem, similar to the problem both of us ahd with skyboxes.

When the original devs of many games must have npcs appear midfight, due to storyline or engine limits, they usually put an open door, with a locked door behind it. The npcs come from the locked door. I can't do this do to the fact that I'm trying to make this similar to yavin_temple.I can only remove npcs.
 Business_Eskimo
04-18-2003, 8:48 PM
Well, I have some good if rather embarassing (for me) news. While testing my own singleplayer map, I experienced the same problems as on yours. Whenever I moved my character, stormtroopers would spawn on top of me, as I encountered in your map. After some significant messing around with controls, I realized that somehow the 's' key was bound to a command that created a stormtrooper! I quickly went into the console and typed "unbind s" and fixed it in the controls settings. Your map works much better for me now. The only problems I seem to have are that I can't get from the second room to the hangar without using noclip. I like the turrets on the tie fighters, nice touch :)
 master_thomas
04-18-2003, 9:29 PM
Missing script (I'm so embarrassed).

Hey, to fix this, can you guys, lassev, and Business_eskimo, and anyone else who downloads this build create the script?
First, check in the scripts folder in the pk3. Look for brokencutscene. It is either in player settings or just in the scripts folder (no comments, please. It's just easier this way). If it's there, it should be put directly into the scripts folder. If it isn't, make the following (using behaved,notepad, or wordpad:

camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ ENABLE );

affect ( "kyle", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
{
move ( $tag( "dropcam", ORIGIN)$, 0.000 );

task ( "teleport" )
{
move ( $tag( "dropcam", ORIGIN)$, 0.000 );
}
do ( "teleport" );
}

use ( "broken_kyle" );
use ( "brokenkyle" );

affect ( "brokenkyle", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
{
set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NO_FALLTODEATH", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "false" );
set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_FORCE_INVINCIBLE", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "true" );
}

camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ MOVE, $tag( "brokencam1", ORIGIN)$, 0 );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ PAN, $tag( "brokencam1", ANGLES)$, < 0.000 0.000 0.000 >, 0 );
wait ( 4000.000 );
use ( "liftbreak" );
wait ( 1750.000 );
use ( "tel" );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ DISABLE );
remove ( "broken_kyle" );

Name it "brokencutscene"(without the quotes), and put it into the base/scripts folder or the scripts folder in the pk3.

I just checked it. The script isn't there. Oh well, just make the script above. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I could have sworn I put it in there. Hmmmmm, weird.

Glad to hear that that random spawning of stormies wasn't my fault. I have a similar problem with screenshot (I bound that to "s" so I wouldn't get the console window. Levelshot overwrites the previous levelshot.

Let's see: I've added a bunch of breakable boxes. a three-peice stack in which if you break the two bottom crates, the top falls and spins (I think it's a nice touch), but I haven't got the spinning to work.

I put three jagged walls of metal (gensurf, you've done it again) with three sniping holes (I removed the bunker to conserve triangles).

Also, I made it so that 10 seconds after you enter the hangar, (unless you use noclip) a piece of the ceiling falls.

On Sunday, I'll have a microphone, so I can make my own sound files for the beginning cutscene, and the final cutscene.

Well, I gotta go now. The chair I'm, sitting on is falling apart :rolleyes:. Gonna take a break from The Attack On Yavin (because I need feedback from the level in its entirety with the script).

I'm gonna get to work on my house (the map).
 Business_Eskimo
04-18-2003, 10:43 PM
Ok, it's much better with the script. :D This is what happens now: I fall throught the floor into the hangar, take out the bad guys, and go over to the switch on the wall. I press it. I get a very long cinematic of a pillar on the wall, zooming in every 10 or so seconds. At this point, several scripts are missing. They are:
scripts/die.IBI
scripts/invincibility.IBI
fightingkyle.IBI

:eek:
Then I get the X-Wings flying out of the hangar. Looks nice, but if you had a bit less of a pause at the end it would be perfect. :D great work!
 Business_Eskimo
04-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Oh, I forgot to say that your .PK3 file seems to have more stuff in it than is neccessary. I don't think you need all those. efx files. Taking 'em out would cut down on the map's size quite a bit :)
 wedge2211
04-19-2003, 1:08 AM
You only need to include in a pk3 anything that isn't included in the standard JK2 game. If it isn't in one of the assets pk3's, put it in yours. Basically, you need to put in any custom stuff you made for THAT level.
 Kengo
04-19-2003, 4:46 AM
Originally posted by master_thomas
That's the problem with designs like the town you had, Kengo. We mappers must rely on what the player can't see to increase perfomance. If the player can see almost anything, we have a problem, similar to the problem both of us ahd with skyboxes.

You're right man, sometimes it's hard but you got to work within the constraints of the engine. Sounds like that flashign you got was down to all the extra stormtroopers Eskimo accidentally spawned in, so guess you don't need to worry about that now :)

Like Wedge says - you don't need stuff from the actual game. Man, I've seen downloads that are largely comprised of stuff that doesn't need to be there :)
 master_thomas
04-19-2003, 8:08 PM
What extra effects? All that should be there (I think) is the bryar one.

Argghhhhh, another missing script? I must have forgotten to save the file.

If fightingkyle was there, the canera would have focused on the npc_kyle during the battle. Just a second, I'm going to try something.

Die and invincibility should not be there. Die only had a purpose at the beginning, but I left that out (didn't work too well), I never made an invincibility script.

Okay, not proud of that release. I'll post the remaining scripts.
 master_thomas
04-19-2003, 8:14 PM
Here are the scripts. Put them in a pk3 in the base folder.

Sorry there are some extras, but I'm in a bit of a hurry.

Made my first good simple patch mesh! For my house, I made an entire bathtub (no faucets) out of a single patch mesh.
 master_thomas
04-19-2003, 10:54 PM
So far, one person has downloaded the scripts.

My house is becoming highly detailed and is all one node, but retains an fps of 50. MAybe when I add some models, it will go down.

Made a detailed lamp base. Once you get the hang of the simple patch mesh, it isn't as hard.

I must get good at the simple patch mesh. Most mappers with incredible architecture don't map SP.The members of the "Cult of the Simple Patch Mesh", led by Wedge, only map MP. I must become good at architecture.

Getting a problem with the water in the tub. Leslie has had it. The water is a liquid, but it appears as a black and white grid. I'm going to look it up after this post.
 master_thomas
04-19-2003, 11:06 PM
KK, possible solutions buddy--I get the same darn water probs in all my maps and I have to play around 'till I get it working. Here are some *possible* solutions that have worked for me in the past:

1. Don't caulk a water brush. Ever. Who ever came up with that should be dragged into the street and shot. (ok, not really but for the sake of this post...) = )

There we go. I used caulk, but there are some other things in the post that I have violated, but people disagreed with those. (that is a run on sentence. Screw proper grammar [I'm a hypocrite. I dedicated half a good sized, post telling someone to use proper grammar. I truly hate hypocrites mroe than most other things)
 master_thomas
04-19-2003, 11:11 PM
I turned the caulk to nodraw and now it is still a black and white grid, but now, it's not even a liquid! It's just a nonsolid. Oh well. It doesn't require water anyway.
 master_thomas
04-20-2003, 10:29 AM
Wedge, Kengo, Louis, and anyone I missed, I just saw your jk2review site. It's nice. Can I join?

So far, the scripts have been downloaded twice.
 master_thomas
04-22-2003, 12:37 AM
Still, only 2 people have downloaded (the site was down all day, so I'm not surprised).

I will talk little more of my house (the map).

Already joined jk2review.

I don't feel like doing any imperial installations. I'm going to start the dream sequence, but I'll need some textures. I may be wrong, but doesn't the PS2 startup screen have floating rectangular prisms that are transucent and colorful? I need something like that. Time for my first thread in the requests forum.
 lassev
04-22-2003, 3:16 AM
All right! Now I'm back at business. I downloaded your scripts and I'm going to see through (at last) your beta2 with all the scripts included.

You had pretty much rooms and corridors in your schematics. If you are still considering mapping that all, I can only hope you haven't underestimated the need of details.

And an interesting (possibly) detail quite suitable for a non-linearity came into my mind the other day: You could perhaps have a big hall, and one way through would take you to the floor of the hall, the other way would just make you cross some bridge high in the air, close to the ceiling, with no way to make it alive to the floor or the other way around. It would make the player hopelessly ponder if there's a way to the rest of the place... I'm sure this is nothing original, but if I had any non-linearity (which I don't have) this would be one thing to include, just because it would also spare some work.
 master_thomas
04-22-2003, 11:52 AM
I haven't even finished the walls yet, let alone, started detail placement. Don't worry. I'll have details and I've drawn out the nodes on graph paper and I like what I see. I don't really have to spare the details because the nodes will be small and many, which I may lengthen the vis process of compile, but will keep framerates up.

The showcase forum for My House is at the forums at jk2review.highrailjunction.com, but I'm in the mood for some scripted events, so I'm working on the dream sequence, where nonsensical things can happen.
 master_thomas
04-22-2003, 2:59 PM
Well, the dream sequence is giving me two errors (only 6 brushes and 26 entities, mainly lights).

During the vis process, a new window comes up stating that Q3map2 has generated errors and will be closed by windows. Then, it moves right onto the light process.

Finally, when I try to play the map, Jedi Outcast just shuts down to the desktop, where it looks like it has a case of a fullbright-inducing leak. Everything is super bright.

On to good news: I finished every outer wall in Thew Attack On Yavin2, there are no leaks and probably never will be, and the only other structural brushes that I will need to make in the future are to break up nodes.
 master_thomas
04-22-2003, 7:59 PM
I've started the texturing of the new area. Going for a Kejim feel.
Not much more to say.
 master_thomas
04-23-2003, 12:44 AM
Made my first shader! Emmits white light from the ceiling for a good part of the new section (new versions will come eventually). Oooohh, I'm now a Gungan. A weird amphibious creature from Naboo.
 lassev
04-23-2003, 3:42 AM
Now that I saw all the level with scripts included (most of them), I can comment on a couple of things. Let me concentrate on cinematics this time. I think you should slower the camera movement in the beginning cinematic. It's quite fast, and thus not so realistic. Another point is the falling cinematic at the elevator room. You should perhaps hone the launching. Last time I played the level, I was still standing on the balcony, when some other guy, possibly a shadowtrooper or Luke himself, broke the elevator. The script launched and suddenly I wasn't anymore standing on the balcony, close to the ceiling, but falling through the hole...

And still another point. This one is about the ending cinematic. There's a pretty lenghty fighting sequence after you have pushed the button. Now, where did all those enemies come from? I though I had already killed them all (aided by the jedis). And how come that Kyle pushed the button in the control room and next moment he was fighting some shadow trooper totally elsewhere? Well, beside these logical things the ending fighting is a bit too long. After all, you cannot yourself do anything, yet you see Kyle fighting. The idea of the game is to let player fight, isn't it?

And one thing you must definitely change: The ships flying out. Change the point of camera view. I hope you won't be offended, but right now the straight from the rear view made the whole sequence look like South Park. There seemed to be no perspective what so ever. And add some engine noise to the ships.

Well, this was kind of negative feedback, and people always deserve positive also, but after all, this is but honing of the details. Keeping that in mind, you might consider replacing the Rodian snipers with storm troopers equiped with distruptors.
 master_thomas
04-23-2003, 12:03 PM
Okay, I was actually just thinking about adding engine noise.

The ending cutscene takes place a small amount of time after you hit the button. I'll add an imperial craft and show the jedi jump down the hole. I'll also remove Kyle from the cutscene, focus the camera on Luke, and end the fight in half the time. After the half, the player runs over to finish the fight. Once all shadowtroopers are defeated, the very end will happen, now, where do you want the camera?

I'll make it so the breakable triggers a target_counter, which is also triggered by a trigger_once, on the elevator. The trigger_once will be inactive until you defeat the shadowtroopers.

I'll look into the sniper stormies.
 Kengo
04-23-2003, 3:04 PM
By an odd coincidence Heke7 has written a tutorial for making sniper troopers here:

http://www.geocities.com/kengomaps/tutorials_npcabilities.html)

Glad to see you on the jk2review forums thomas! Also good of you to showcase some stuff there :)

Sounds like the mapping is going well, wish I was so productive. I'm gonna have to go do some mapping :)
 master_thomas
04-23-2003, 4:23 PM
Thanks for the link, Kengo. I can count on your site for many of my SP modding needs. To be a productive mapper, you must learn to base your outdoor construction on grid 7. That's how I did the final floor and ceiling placement (60% of my structural brushes) in 5 minutes and the walls, in about 30 minutes of work. (I didn't work on that for awhile)

Strange, I don't feel as though I have productive habits, I always compile under the second final for Q3Map2, (sort of the bsp fullvis of the SOF2 compiler)my mouse has a weird problem in which it almost always automatically double-clicks, making clipping and selecting difficult, and I am easily distracted. I guess I just spend a lot of time on mapping.

Nice to see you on JK2review as well and look forward to seeing many other forum goers.
 master_thomas
04-23-2003, 11:39 PM
http://massassi.net/ec/images/10771.jpg)

As I talked about earlier, a Tibanna Gas platform. I need your opinion: Does it look far away, or just small? It really is small to make it look far away, but I don't like the result.
 Business_Eskimo
04-23-2003, 11:52 PM
About the tibanna gas platform: If it is simply smaller, the perspective won't change properly as you move to the side. I'm not a big fan of it, personally. Sorry. :cool:
 wedge2211
04-23-2003, 11:55 PM
Easy fix: make an image file of the Tibanna platform (either by screenshot or by drawing it manually), and paste it onto the skybox image. Presto! Really far away Tibanna-gas platform!
 Business_Eskimo
04-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Ahh, good idea, Wedge! That would be perfect ;)
 master_thomas
04-24-2003, 12:10 AM
That was recommended at JK2review. I'm not going to try a hand drawn one. I can't draw at all. Screenshot it is.
 boinga1
04-24-2003, 12:12 AM
Work well, it shall, hmm yess.... :yoda:
Page: 3 of 5