Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Attack on Yavin series(SP)

Page: 4 of 5
 lassev
04-24-2003, 8:28 AM
Originally posted by master_thomas
Okay, I was actually just thinking about adding engine noise.

The ending cutscene takes place a small amount of time after you hit the button. I'll add an imperial craft and show the jedi jump down the hole. I'll also remove Kyle from the cutscene, focus the camera on Luke, and end the fight in half the time. After the half, the player runs over to finish the fight. Once all shadowtroopers are defeated, the very end will happen, now, where do you want the camera?

I'll make it so the breakable triggers a target_counter, which is also triggered by a trigger_once, on the elevator. The trigger_once will be inactive until you defeat the shadowtroopers.

I'll look into the sniper stormies.

Sounds good. Those changes will make it much better, trust me. However, even if I'm complaining about the camera position, it's still up to you how you make it. Perhaps you could use two cameras, because there are more ships than one. The other camera could be outside the door. You could also check out how it would look like if a camera follows a ship flying out (from a position left or right, not straight front or rear). It might work nicely.
 master_thomas
04-24-2003, 6:46 PM
Well, I got the microphone working. I tried my own voice, but it sounds nothing like Luke or Kyle. Kengo, I may need your voice actors.
 master_thomas
04-24-2003, 10:17 PM
I replaced the lighting in the boiler room with shaders.

Here's the old picture (this really is an old picture. One of the first on this thread).http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/10423.jpg)

Here's the new picture.

What do you think of the difference?
http://massassi.net/ec/images/10777.jpg)

Personally, I like the change.

I still haven't gotten any work on the gas platform.
 master_thomas
04-25-2003, 8:54 PM
Okay, now the new pic at the angle of the oldest picture. http://massassi.net/ec/images/10793.jpg)

I also added these http://massassi.net/ec/images/10794.jpg) The clip brushes, which caused me a few problems are now well clipped. Do they fit? They look a little more advanced technologically, but they are generators in the basement.
 Business_Eskimo
04-26-2003, 10:56 PM
Seems okay to me. I don't really think anyone will mind if there are generators in the basement. :)
 master_thomas
04-27-2003, 1:15 AM
http://massassi.net/ec/images/10815.jpg)

Here's the light from the window.

http://massassi.net/ec/images/10814.jpg)

Don't mind the fullbright, I used it to show the supports.

http://massassi.net/ec/images/10813.jpg)

Personal work lights.
 Business_Eskimo
04-28-2003, 9:38 PM
Looks pretty good! Made any progress lately? This thread hasn't been updated in a little while. Just wondering. :)
 Pnut_Man
04-28-2003, 9:40 PM
Question- Are the screenshots that you just posted from your Yavin Map? I'm a bit confused on the whole matter :/
 master_thomas
04-29-2003, 5:39 PM
No, it is actually Bespin, even though it looks imperial (they've been rebuilding to suit their needs).

I'm working on four maps. Myhouse, Attackonyavin1, 2, and 3.

Sorry I haven't been posting as often. My sister has to use the computer half the day, I have lots of schoolwork, and my 14th birthday was two days ago.
 master_thomas
05-01-2003, 11:27 PM
Okay, I've gotten back to work on #1 and finished the sniper stormies and the camera is more dynamic. Now, I just need the engine noises and I wanted to add thuster flares. Flare shader?
 master_thomas
05-05-2003, 9:32 PM
red_flare is giving me errors. It appears to be an effect, but I can't get the movement of the fx_runner to sync with the movement of the ships.

The sound is in and I put nice little fadeouts before the battle, before the player takes over during the battle, and before the ships start to leave. This makes it so it doen't look like everything is happening at once.
 lassev
05-06-2003, 8:20 AM
So, now that the first part of the Attack is about ready, or very soon will be, are you going to release it, or do you first build also the next part and release them together?
 master_thomas
05-07-2003, 9:30 AM
It will be released soon, but I'm getting less and less time to work because my sister is working later (using the computer longer) and I have more and more homework.

I've added sort of a trademark thing. It's a cutscene. I will get a picture soon. Just compiling now.
 master_thomas
05-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Needs some work, but here it is:
http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/10983.jpg)

I need to make it look a little better. It's also sometimes hard to read.
 Business_Eskimo
05-09-2003, 8:10 PM
Hmm... did you use fullbright for that pic of the "trademark" or is that just some weird ambient lighting? If you change the lighting it should look fine.

Sorry I've been gone a while, I've had a lot of work to do lately.
 master_thomas
05-10-2003, 12:47 AM
Now that I think of it, i had a "max_map_lightgrid array", which caused fullbright. It's fixed now.

To make it more interesting, I am currently making a tie fly across screen, spinning out of control, followed by an X wing, which had just shot it down.
 Business_Eskimo
05-10-2003, 9:23 PM
Ah, yes, sounds great. When you feel like it, upload a new screenie. It should look much better :)
 master_thomas
05-15-2003, 10:05 PM
Bad news :(

Rotation of tie has never worked.

I'm having compile time trouble. It spent 2 hours on passage portal flow ...0...1...2...3... Either something I added is making 2000 nodes or there's ome osrt of error. It's been slow for a while.
 War Master
05-16-2003, 3:12 AM
You probably have a leak somewhere. A skybox can "mask" a leak.
 Business_Eskimo
05-16-2003, 9:53 PM
Well, it's been a while since I've been around here, soo....
I havent looked at this thread much lately. Doesn't appear that I've missed out on too much. Anyways, enough babbling...
[HR]

Bad news

Rotation of tie has never worked.
Yes, I had a feeling you might have a problem with the rotation of the tie fighter. It seems sort of tough to do for some reason, if possible.

[HR]

About your problem with the compile time-

War Master- I'm pretty sure he knows about that. But it will also increase the compile time.

Laso, if you use Q3Map2, it tells you when there's a leak. So, that may or may not be the case.
 master_thomas
05-17-2003, 1:21 AM
I used BSP monitoring. No leaks. I turned 5 brushes into details and now it takes two hours to get to passage portal flow ...0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...

A little better, but still very annoying. I tried slightly changing the script, but I need to recompile, which will probably take three hours. It is 11:17 PM where I live right now. It will have to be left going overnight.
 War Master
05-18-2003, 4:54 PM
The compiler doesn't find all leaks so to speak. If your map is boxed in by a skybox it can hide them. I know this first hand. I had this problem a while back. I removed the skybox and closed off open areas and I found several leaks. I even remember reading a Quake III tutorial on testing each room after completion for leaks. You block off any open areas and compile to test.
 master_thomas
05-19-2003, 9:49 PM
Well, usually, the problem is max_map_lightgrid array, which is fixed by adjusting he gridsize.

I ran another compile and it has gone for 2 hours on a test quality compile. Passage portal flow ...9.... Portal flow takes by far the longes: about 2 hours and 45 minutes of the 3 hour compile.

The tie isn't working. I have rotate commands in a task other than the move command, with the move command, and outside a task all together. I habve gotten models to rotate, so what's the problem?
 Business_Eskimo
05-20-2003, 12:53 AM
Hmmm... could you post the script up here? Maybe we might be able to catch whatever's up with that script thats giving you a hard time here.
 master_thomas
05-21-2003, 12:24 AM
Here, I've tried this:

affect ( "crashfighter", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
{
task ( "crash" )
{
move ( $tag( "tmfighttag", ORIGIN)$, 1000.000 );
rotate ( < 4320.000 0.000 0.000 >, 1000.000 );
}

do ( "crash" );

and this:

{
task ( "crash" )
{
}
do ("crash");
task ( "rotate" )
{
}

dowait ( "rotate" );
}

Neither seem to work. I tried all of them together:

{

task ( "crash" )
{
}

do ( "crash" );
task ( "rotate" )
{
}

dowait ( "rotate" );
}

That doesn't work either.
 lassev
05-21-2003, 3:55 AM
Rotate values are absolute directions the entity will face, when the command is performed. Thus I don't quite understand the 4320.000 part of this command in your script, when a circle has only 360 degrees.
 master_thomas
05-21-2003, 8:27 PM
That would do it. 4320=some number of spins. instead, should I put 360 with a loop command?
 master_thomas
05-21-2003, 11:12 PM
Tried looping some 360 ones, but it still won't spin.

http://massassi.net/ec/images/11133.jpg)

Those who downloaded the beta (2), remember the room with the button that opens the hangar? I added some debris, including parts of the now broken display window things. This is all gensurf and clipping.
 Business_Eskimo
05-21-2003, 11:49 PM
I suggest that you add a few small lights (with like a light value of 40) to behind those panels, the shadpws are a bit... harsh.

I like those chunks on the floor, they help add to that beat up sort of feel.

I've never been able to figure out Gensurf... :p
 master_thomas
05-22-2003, 1:02 AM
It's easy when you ignore the things that you don't understand. Decimate will lower the number of brushes used, I think there's something called random seed, which gives you random patterns. Texture is self explanatory. That's all I figured out. The reason I did this was that the room seemed to unlike the original. I was unable to catch the feel of the original so I made it look beaten up.

It's a short compile. The shadows make it look more like the only source of light is the map. I may make it flicker a little.

As you can see, the fullbright is cleared up.
 lassev
05-22-2003, 3:56 AM
That would do it. 4320=some number of spins. instead, should I put 360 with a loop command?

I don't know. Everything is fine as long as it works, eh? But still I must repeat. Rotate values are absolute directions. The command's name can be a little misleading, because you don't actually rotate anything in relation to its former position, but let's say its normal position, that is, the position it is in Radiant.

So, if you rotate 360 degrees, your brush may not actually rotate at all, if it is already facing 360 degrees. You might try to split the full spin to smaller portions, like 120 degrees, and rotate it three times sequentially to get the full spin.

It's not as easy a subject as it could be, but not as hard as it might be. I hope I made some sense, and didn't fool myself.
 master_thomas
05-22-2003, 5:51 PM
Oh, so, like 180, 360, 180, 360? That would make sense.
 master_thomas
05-22-2003, 6:08 PM
Wohoo! It works!:D Now I just need to tweak the spin and fix a few minor bugs.
 master_thomas
05-23-2003, 12:41 AM
No bugs anymore. Tonight, I'm going to run a final compile. Tomorrow, I will check to see if I missed anything. After that, I will redo the credits and readme. Finally, I will send it to pcgamemods and jk2files.
 lassev
05-23-2003, 3:21 AM
Oh yeah. I wish my map would also be ready. Good luck with the release.
 master_thomas
05-23-2003, 7:30 PM
I just sent it to pcgamemods and it will be up shortly. When it is, I will send it to jk2files.
 War Master
05-23-2003, 11:27 PM
What???!!! A single player map about to be released? Awesome! :D They are few and far between.
 master_thomas
05-24-2003, 1:57 AM
Yes, and all the mappers who are incredible architects/builders map multiplayer. Blood asp, Truthful Liar, etc.
 master_thomas
05-24-2003, 5:59 AM
It's officially out. (They've put it up on they're site). It took less time than I thought. You can find it at pcgamemods.com
 master_thomas
05-26-2003, 5:23 PM
I just wanted to point out that since I'm now a member of the OTTC and 've finished AoY: 1 and am well into number 2, I will be taking a break from the Attack on Yavin series. No updates for awhile.
 The Count
05-26-2003, 6:07 PM
I played it and minus the few cutscenes sorry but its little more than anyother JO SP Custom Level: Kill The Reborn, pretty lame if you ask me, it needs some originality in it, its nothing on some of the MOTS SP Levels. To Make A Good SP Level consult the DF MOD TEAM;)
 master_thomas
05-26-2003, 6:20 PM
The DF mod team has something to work with. Ideas are already done for them. They just need to put them there. I need to design such things, then put them there.

Actually, most first SP maps don't even end. You kill all enemies and stay there until you quit. I gave custom credits at the end (brings you back to the menu as well), which most maps don't. Sure, it could never compare with some maps even for JK2, but it beats most first attempts.
 Shadriss
05-27-2003, 12:16 AM
You do have a couple of valid points, Thomas... but even so, after all the waiting we did, I think we expected something a bit more... substantial.

That said, it is a good first map, considering. But Yavin 2 had better be something special, eh? :)
 master_thomas
05-27-2003, 1:21 AM
Of course it will be better. I'm not forced to try to copy the architecture of yavin_temple. Instead, I can make my own inventions of detail. Yavin_temple lacked details other than models and had very few things that could look really good if redone.

My goal in mapping is to do things that few have done, especially things that I wouldn't be able to do in multiplayer, like the gun light, the cutscenes and other scripted events, etc. I just did a bad job on my first try. I want to be a revolutionary SP mapper.

Once again, first maps are rarely any good if not terrible. Second are okay or good, but the third attempts are usually great. I'm going for first to be mediocre (which I guess describes it best), second to be good, and third to be wonderful. Any after that would probably be for Jedi Academy.

From 1-10, 1st map is usually 2-, 2 is 3-5, and third is usually 6+. My goal is 1st:3- 2nd:4-6 3rd:7+.

I'm pretty sure I've improved for number 2. I'm already well into it, so it won't be as long a wait, but I have more projects to work on, including prefabs for the OTTC and a smaller project, "myhouse" (really is modelled after my own house). I hope to finish myhouse in a month and then work on AoY2. Then, some more for OTTC (about a week). Then, it's on to AoY3. I don't know how long that will take.
 master_thomas
06-02-2003, 10:48 PM
Just thought I'd salvage this dying thread with some updates.

http://massassi.net/ec/images/11269.jpg)

The first room. Needs to be scaled down.

http://massassi.net/ec/images/11268.jpg)

The walkway. Needs some work because it seems cramped.

http://massassi.net/ec/images/11267.jpg)

A skylight. The sky shader emmits light for realism and because shader light seems smoother.
 master_thomas
06-11-2003, 9:26 AM
Come on, guys, I need some comments.

I'm also now accepting ideas for this map, since I've got a creative block right now.
 Business_Eskimo
06-11-2003, 9:08 PM
Hmm, lets see.... it might help if you added a little more detail on the floor somehow.... perhaps something like a spot on the floor cut out, covered with a piece of glass, and some tubes underneath? Just an idea. Hmm, what else.... some statues and such may add a little bit to the bespin atmosphere.

Finally, the wall texture looks stretched. It would be better if you had multiple textures on the wall. It would look better if you had a texture on the bottom, one in the middle, one on the top, etc.
 master_thomas
06-11-2003, 10:28 PM
You see, I'm going to scale everything down soon. The first idea seems cool and easy.
 Business_Eskimo
06-12-2003, 6:14 PM
Those angled pillar things look a little bland (the ones in the background first screenshot and on the left of the second). The 'basic' textures seem to look OK in the editor but don't look good in-game. It would look better if a more complex texture was put on it instead.
 master_thomas
06-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Okay, but I'm taking a break until June 25th.
Page: 4 of 5