Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

'Movie Battles' has gone open Beta

Page: 5 of 5
 .:Solusar:.
04-22-2003, 3:08 AM
Aww, whats wrong shotokan?
Anyway what are you trying to do exactly?
 Shotokan
04-22-2003, 3:16 AM
Play the "Movie Battles" mod. It is not working!
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-22-2003, 7:14 AM
Shotokan,

I assure you, it's not a problem with the mod itself!
Sounds like there is a conflict happenning with another mod on your machine.

First of all, I would check your base folder and make sure that you don't have any code mods in there.
i.e. make sure you only have maps, models etc. in your base folder.
Coding mods always go into a seperate folder in your GameData directory...

Also, double-check that your movie battles folder is 'Movie Battles' exactly (space in middle). Although this should only be a problem when you play online.

Double check those two things and post back here if you still can't get it to run...
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-22-2003, 7:33 AM
Guys,

I'm leaving one of my computers on as a dedicated server.
I say dedicated, but I do use it for other things sometimes, although rarely. So it should be avaliable most of the time...

It's not exactly a state-of-the-art machine, and it's sharing my cable connection, so it won't have the best ping times ever (especially for you USA / Canada lot, since it's here in the UK), but anyway, it's avaliable to all. (No password).

The ip address: 81.99.86.70

It's running Build 8, CTF maps - 30 mins each map.
Max 16 players

Please, feel free to drop in. I'm probably gonna end up hanging around most nights for a couple of hours if you fancy a game. Usually around 10-12pm GMT...

...and please feel free to point out any issues you find. (Constructive criticism would be ideal! lol :) )
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-22-2003, 7:53 AM
Just to let you know about issues that are already known about and I am currently working on fixing...

* The mandalorian rocket is sometimes invisible! It still fires, and it still causes damage to the target - you just can't see it!
This is a VERY strange problem (even wierder than the phantom bullets thing!). It seems to happen consistantly on the Bespin CTF map, and only very rarely on other maps. Why this is, at the moment I have no clue! I'm looking into it...

* Sometimes the join button in the menu's doesn't work first time - you have to effectively join twice before you actually join the game. Again, I'm looking into it.

* It seems in my efforts to make the soldier class a bit more balanced, I may have made it a bit TOO good! I'm probably going to half their current health to re-balance them...
 BloodRiot
04-22-2003, 8:06 AM
Renegade... since the rocket is fully functional... you still want me to re arrange the mandalorian model so the rocket disapears from the jetpack after its been fired?

I'll probably sieze the oportunity to fix the saber issue although it wont change your mod cuz mandalorian cant use saber :)

Anyway just lemme know.

Cheers.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-22-2003, 8:29 AM
BloodRiot,

I'm still working on getting the skin changed properly. This process is complicated slightly by the extra code I've added to force models according to team and class.

If I can get it working, I'l let you know. And then we can get the proper rocket action - ermm - rocking :)

What I was wondering also is, would it be possible to either change the size of the CTF flag, or maybe make it transparent? Cos it's a real pain when your carrying it - especially as the jedi. It gets in the way and you can't really see what your doing!
 BloodRiot
04-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Either way, since I lead a very uninsteresting life and my common unemployed afternoon is really boring... My mandalorians are finally saber friendly, the jetpack and the rocket are now 2 separate meshes and the caps are now fixed.

So now it's up to you my friend.

I just have to repack everything and re-post it at jk2.net and stuff... so my work with them fetts is finally over.

Cheers.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-22-2003, 11:20 AM
Cool dude.

Man, OK. I'm gonna re-double my efforts to get the skin changed. I've gotta get that rocket-action looking proper authentic... :)

What do you mean by the caps are fixed...?
 BloodRiot
04-22-2003, 3:39 PM
I mean when the fetts got dismembered.. the caps where not showing and you'd see a gap instead of burnt flesh. That's fixed now.
 Jman3ooo
04-22-2003, 4:09 PM
In assets0.pk3/models/map_objects/mp/flag.jpg
and
assets0.pk3/models/map_objects/mp/flag2.jpg

Change theese two to be transparent and drop it in a .pk3 file to make the flags transparent. I have no image editing experience so Dont ask me to do it :/
 Shotokan
04-23-2003, 12:50 AM
Ok. I got rid of all my animation and saber mods, but I still can't play it. The same message pops up.
 Jman3ooo
04-23-2003, 12:57 AM
What message?
 Shotokan
04-23-2003, 1:05 AM
Client/Server game mismatch: basejk-1/team/assault 0.1b <----- This error message
 Jman3ooo
04-23-2003, 2:25 AM
Simple...

Remove jetpack.pk3 from your base folder.
 Shotokan
04-23-2003, 4:31 AM
But.... I don't have a jetpack.pk3 in my base folder...
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-23-2003, 11:54 AM
It's not nessesarily to do with the jetpack mod Jman, although I can see why you'd think that...

Both the original jetpack mod and Movie Battles have both been written under the project name of Team Assault. So the message probably just means Movie Battles is conflicting with another code mod...

Hmm. Well, all I can suggest is totally clearing your base folder of any non-standard files. (I don't mean delete them, just move them to a different folder - say your desktop). You should be able to at least run Movie Battles then (although a lot of the models will show up as Kyle...)

Then you can try putting in your custom files back into your base directory and see which one is causing the problem...

That's the only thing I can suggest at this stage I'm afraid :/

...and just to double-check, post up EXACTLY the names of all the files in your 'Movie Battles' folder...
 BloodRiot
04-23-2003, 3:11 PM
Im gonna turn the standard JO flags into the hover drone of JK1 ctf... but i'll need a good md3 importer for max r4...anyone knows where to find it? i found one for max r3 but it fails to initialize in r4.

The reason i need an importer is to check the original flag for tags and stuff.. cuz my initial tryout was sucessfull but messy.. the drone was not facing the right direction and its a bit silly...besides... i couldnt get the drone texture maps working either.

Cheers.
 Jman3ooo
04-23-2003, 7:48 PM
This is just an ide... No promises, but do a search for "Team Assault" in your C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast folder.

Make sure it is for Files containing not files named. Another thing that might have been made by team assault... Wasn't there a grappling hook?
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-23-2003, 7:51 PM
The new droid-flags which BloodRiot has knocked up for me are REALLY sweet! They look great. And their a lot more star-warsey!
And - very importantly - these new 'flags' don't get in the way of your view in third person, which is really quite important.

I'm gonna add some proper sound support for them (driod-like bleeps and hums etc.), and then get them into the next build.

And I'm nearly done getting the rocket to dissapear thanx to BloodRiot's mandalorian alterations.
Well, I KNOW I can get it to work a certain way, but it's not the neatest solution. I'm still trying to get plan A to work.

If not, plan B is still do-able, so either way it'll get done.... :)

...BloodRiot is THE man! :D
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-23-2003, 7:55 PM
Na, the grappling hook was never released, but MIGHT make it's way into Movie Battles. (Notice the might in capitals! :) )
 razorace
04-23-2003, 8:05 PM
try just turning off the surfaces of the rocket on your model.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-23-2003, 8:12 PM
That's what I'm trying to do.
I've made a thread about this in the NRG coding forum...

...although I can't actually access them right at this moment... :/

I'll quickly summarize here. The line of code I believe should remove the rocket section is:

trap_G2API_SetSurfaceOnOff( ci->ghoul2Model, "jetpack_rocket", 0x00000002/*G2SURFACEFLAG_OFF*/ );

I'm triggering this on an entity event. Using the debugger, I can say for a fact that I know:

a. The above line of code is actually getting called when it should
b. that the ci pointer is valid and correct

(ci is a pointer to the clientInfo_t structure of the mandalorian client...)

...but the rocket does not dissapear... :confused:

My guess at the moment is that there is some kind of 'refresh' function I need to call after the above call, but that is really just a guess at the moment...
 razorace
04-23-2003, 9:15 PM
It's probably that surface flag.

0x00000002 is only used once.

The standard flags used are...

0 = on
0x00000100 = off
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-23-2003, 9:35 PM
just tried using 0x100 instead of 0x2 ...

..and...

...no difference. damn!
 razorace
04-23-2003, 11:28 PM
well, where in the code are you trying to do this?
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-23-2003, 11:34 PM
Go to the NRG forums -I've given a better explanation of what I'm doing there...

...and I've got it to kind of semi-work. I'm posting an update there now...
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-24-2003, 12:00 AM
Good news...

...due to Jman's outstanding detective work, I now know what the wierd invisible-rocket problem is about...

It'll be sorted for the next build
 Shotokan
04-24-2003, 2:21 AM
effects - jetpack - idle.efx, onground.efx, sidejet.efx, thrust.efx, vssver.scc

Models - players - boba fett, thrindel sev, and khyron jinn along with their model_packoff.skin and model_default.skin

music - Heroes Victory, HeroesVictory.mp3.sfk, HeroesVictory.mp3.SFL, Silence, Silence.mp3.sfk, ThemeMusic, ThemeMusic.mp3.sfk, ThemeMusic.mp3.SFL, VillansVictory, VillansVictory.mp3.sfk, VillansVictory.mp3.SFL

shaders - clonelight, ct_fisto, gl_dooku, hook, krishara, Mandalorian, shaderlist, vssver.scc

sound - jetpack - idle, ignite, jetpackoff, onground, thrust, vssver.scc

ui - assets - jkmp - and the .menu files, menudef.h, jk2hud, jk2mpingame, jk2mpmenus, menus, vssver.scc (a whole lotta stuff to type. sorry I'm short on time.)

vm - cgame.map, cgame.qvm, jk2mpgame.map, jk2mpgame.qvm, ui.map, ui.qvm

(In the Movie Battles folder itself) - games.log, jk2mpconfig.cfg, mc_blastech (.pk3 file)

All right... I think that is it.
 Jman3ooo
04-24-2003, 2:55 AM
He means the files in you /base not the .pk3 files.
 Shotokan
04-24-2003, 4:31 AM
AWW MAN! It took me awhile to get through those... Well... here we go

Base Files (I'm not gonna type it as a .pk3 file. I'll give you the map, mod, etc. name)

Jedi Archives 2
Bushido Map Pack and Kengou skin
Cheshire - Arco Vader Model
City of Thaloska Beta
Covenant Elite
Kit Fisto
L - Station (CTF MAP)
Duel of the Fates Version 2
EP2 Sounds
EP2 weapons
EP2 Yoda (The photo realistic one)
Kit Fisto Sounds
Ganner Rhysode skin
Dash Rendar model
Episode 1 Obi
Darth Maul Model
IRG Coruscant Final (From IRG's Mappack)
Irimi-Ai's animation mod 106
Jango Fett
Jedi Academy Map
Jedi Council v.3
Jedijan Final
KC Old Ben Kenobi
Ki Adi Mundi
KOR Mines
Mace Windu VM
Mapextras
Mapextras2
Major Clod's Han Solo
Monketsu (Gallimar Skin Pack)
Nightelf
Omnimod 1_5 sound
Omnimod 2_1 sound
Yarael Poof Model
Jedimod Compatible Hiltpack
Replacement Skies (mapping purposes)
ROTJ Bowcaster
Royal Guard
SP Maul
Qui-gon-jinn
Thinsaberz
Universal
Vampire Hunter D
Wookiee
zbotfiles
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-24-2003, 8:24 AM
Well, actually I meant your Movie Battles 'folder' rather than the .pk3 file (I know what's in that!)

But what you've listed in your base folder is probably far more helpful actually.. :)

Hmm, well, I'm unsure about some of the mods your listing.
Maybe some others on the forum can spot something I'm missing...

Omnimod 1_5 sound
Omnimod 2_1 sound - these are just sounds?

Irimi-Ai's animation mod 106
Jedi Archives 2
Jedi Council v.3
...what are these?

Also, I've heard of a SAGA-enabled map which has code alterations packed in with the map itself. Is this rumour true?
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-24-2003, 8:38 AM
Shotokan,

Just realised something.

Have you actually extracted the files from within the .pk3 file itself?

i.e. do you literally have all those files sitting in your movie battles folder?!

If so, you don't need to do that, and that COULD be the source of the problem. You just need to have the .pk3 file placed in the Movie Battles folder - that it. You don't need to 'extract' the files out of the .pk3...
Just delete the whole Movie Battles directory and start again.
And then please follow the installation instructions on the site (and on the first page of this thread - 7th post) to the letter...
 razorace
04-24-2003, 4:08 PM
Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk

Also, I've heard of a SAGA-enabled map which has code alterations packed in with the map itself. Is this rumour true?
Yep, it's true. I think you're thinking of the Anchorhead map. It includes ASk's bug fixes for the Saga code.
 Shotokan
04-25-2003, 1:45 AM
oOo.... hehe... ok I'll try that. And those other things you were questioning about... The Irimi-Ai thing is an animation mod. It changes the roll, blue uppercut, and force get up thing. And those last two things are maps. Jedi Council Griffinclaw 3 and Jedi Archives 2.
 Shotokan
04-25-2003, 2:25 AM
Woohoo!! It works! The problem was that I extracted everything FROM the .pk3 file into the "Movie Battles" folder. Woops.. :headbump
 Jman3ooo
04-25-2003, 3:13 AM
HeHe...

I told you you should have made an install file :p.
 Shotokan
04-25-2003, 5:58 AM
LoL. Well that teaches me a lesson...

o btw... the mod rocks!
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-25-2003, 7:53 PM
Thx Shotokan :)

btw - good news.

As well as fixing the rocket-sometimes-not-visible-on-certain-maps problem, I've also managed to get the rocket section of the new mandalorian models disappearing like a charm :)

For the coders...

the problem with the line I posted earlier what that I was adjusting the client model, when I should have been adjusting the centity model. DOH! :rolleyes:

so, the new revised, working line is:

trap_G2API_SetSurfaceOnOff( cg_entities[es->eventParm].ghoul2, "jetpack_rocket", 0x00000002);

Sorted mate ;)
 BloodRiot
04-25-2003, 9:19 PM
Great News buddy... can't wait to see that in action.
 master_thomas
04-26-2003, 1:36 AM
Wow, it's been a long time since I have looked here. Can someone please give me a summary of what has happened since my last post. I'm too lazy to read all that.:rolleyes:

If noone wants to give me the summary, don't worry, I'll follow along from here.
 Jman3ooo
04-26-2003, 2:02 PM
Well the most pesky bug that were just fixed were an invisible rocket.

Renegade just added a feature so when you fire the rocket (Calls the jump animation) the Mandalorian's rocket disappears. It calls the jump animation so that he is seeming to do a flip and fire the rocket.

I beleive the biggest feature still to be added before release is replacing the CTF flags with seeker droids.
 BloodRiot
04-26-2003, 11:41 PM
Not seeker droids... it's a hover drone similar to the flags in JK1.

I used a bit of criative liberty so they are not exactly the same... I worked with what i could remember... anyway.. they work and dont obscure the line of sight which was the main goal.

:)
 UDM
05-01-2003, 4:44 AM
So when's the next build?
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-01-2003, 11:25 AM
...soon :)

I haven't been working much on the mod last week, but I'll get the last couple of things I've been working on finished off - probably either by the end of this week or beginning of next...
 UDM
05-02-2003, 1:23 PM
What modifications would there be? Will you focus more on jedis? How about the duel thing I suggested?

Btw I just thought of something. In Duel, players like having the jedis to move quickly. How about you set the movement speed to default as in JK2's, while FFA and other game modes have your intended speed

Just a thought
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-02-2003, 2:08 PM
Well, to just give a brief breakdown of the main new features (so far) which will be in for build 9:

* Fix for the 'invisible' rocket in certain maps.

* More realistic looking rocket-fire function - the rocket now get's removed from the Mandalorian model (you will need BloodRiot's new Mandalorian models (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.hart4/Mandalorian_v2.zip) for this to work...)

* New CTF 'flags' (droid models) which don't obscure third-person view. (Thx - again - to BloodRiot :) )

* Moving slowly now produces no footsteps - allowing for stealth play.

* Locational damage adjustment. At the moment it's:

Head shot - x3 damage
Chest - x2 damage
Everywhere else - normal damage
(This setup, however, may be subject to change after play-testing.)

I'm working on a couple of other things too, but I don't want to say more until I've done more on them...

I will try and get Duel back in (as I have already said I will), I'm just not sure when. My main focus at the moment (and the main focus overall of the mod) is teamplay between all the classes.

I may well have special settings for duel (when I get it back in), but I have no solid plans for that as yet...
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-07-2003, 7:43 PM
Just to give you guys an update, Build 9 is done, but I want to playtest it properly before I give it out.

Also, I have decided I want to try and get proper objective play in sooner rather than later.
I should have more news on this soon...
 Shotokan
05-09-2003, 5:55 AM
Yay!
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-12-2003, 10:44 PM
OK guys,

Build 9 is now ready for download from my site (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.hart4/) .

As well as the new features listed a couple of posts up, there are also a few more things:

* A quick-fire thermal button for both hero's and soldiers. This instantly fires a thermal a set range - detonation on impact. VERY handy to catch the Jedi off their guard! ;)

* A sprint button. This is a toggle action button which enables any class to increase their running speed for a certain amount of time. However, you must spend a relative amount of time 'recovering' after sprinting. (Full details on the site)

* A couple of Jedi roll moves have been replaced with cartwheels and flips. (Again - more details on the site.)

I know I've said this before, but I really do believe I am getting very close indeed to the first full release of Movie Battles. Any major issues I know of have (to my knowledge) been sorted, and I can say quite confidently that the class balance is pretty much spot on now.

I plan to release Movie Battles v1.0 (hopefully) by the end of the week :D

I can then start work on THE major feature planned for version 2....
... objective-based play!

Enjoy :)
Page: 5 of 5