Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Forcemod 2 Beta Feedback

Page: 1 of 5
 Azymn
02-25-2003, 7:18 PM
This thread is designed specifically for those people who have been selected to be a part of the closed ForceMod 2.0 beta. Outside commentary is welcome, but please try to stay focused on the topic.

Priorities on what would help me most:
1) Bugs - Try to be as detailed as possible in your report, including:
- What exactly happened
- Which class were you/your enemy
- Which powers were in effect at the time
- What weapon you were using
- When it happened (during jump/at spawn time....)
- If any ERROR messages were showing at the upper left corner of the screen.

2) Imbalances -
- Jedi/Sith/Mercs are too powerful/weak because
- Merc 1 is lame, i would only play them if...
- Bots are using power "x" too often/not enough
- Remember to look for things that happen over and over

3) Likes/Dislikes -
- I like "x" because...this would make it better
- I dislike "x" because....this would solve the problem
- This menu would be better if....
- Initially, I couldn't figure out how to do "x"...

Thanks for the help - i've only had a little time to work on the mod, and have had almost no time to play. This will really help out.
 DarthDarth
02-25-2003, 8:25 PM
Lets kick this party off.

Anyway when I turn on Jedi Vs Merc (merc mod) I can't select my force powers If I'm a Jedi. If I put on normal Jedi vs Merc same problem...and my merc goodies arnt on (I know thats spose' to happen.) This happens everytime every map.

I love this mod tho..I think the regen of the merc battery should be faster. My flame thrower leaves the thing spent, then you die. Also when using the sheild battery thing its to slow to make an impact in battle. Maybe I just need to get better.

Are we gonna run an offical server?

Well anyway,
Thanks again Darth_Syrup
 Azymn
02-25-2003, 8:40 PM
If anyone else has this same problem, please post. I don't have the problem here at home, so my only guesses are:
Make sure there aren't ANY other mods in the same folder. Very few mods are compatible, and ForceMod 2.0 should be all alone in the folder.

I won't be able to edit much until next week, because it's a very busy week in school right now. I'll try to post as much as possible.

And anyone is welcome to start up a server for it and publicize it. :)

BTW - the menus are incomplete, so take them with a grain of salt. Specifically, the "new force sides" cvar doesn't appear to be properly set in the menu (do it from the console at server time), and the "dual force user ratios" just plain isn't working (i forgot to remove it :S ).
 DarthDarth
02-25-2003, 8:50 PM
I figured it out. I needed it on "Basic" then remove my fprce powers and switch to merc. Sorry about that. Anyway, I think I might have found a bug, I really don't want to crash my comp twice but what the hell. I'll go try it again.

Also to get my dual pistols working I had to turn on f_dualguns 2, but I was a merc with no force. 2 is spose' to be Jedi and merc can use. Any clue why it's like this?

Mark
 Mistress_Angel
02-25-2003, 9:04 PM
Bugs

- Under the ForceMod menu and the submenu "Force Powers" the new forceranks and light/dark power settings don't affect the proper Cvars.

-Grapple is missing the grapple model, it shots a XYZ coord instead

-cf_singlestances only takes away purple, to my understanding it should take away both purple and green.

-a frozen player can be unfrozen if another player grips them

-womprat doesn't do anything

Suggestions

-Have a more deverse force mixing system
level 4 light powers and level 3 dark powers for example

-Level 4 saber attack needs a Cvar that can turn off the speed/dmg increase. So only level 4 attack will get you the extra stances.

-Level 4 speed needs a Cvar that will allow admins to toggle the normal run speed increase

More to come *smiles*
 DarthDarth
02-25-2003, 9:11 PM
Ok I uninstalled JK2 and then reinstalled everything w/o other mods and everything is working fine now. Sorry about before I'll retest my bugs and such.

Mark

(Beta testing is hard)
 mariners2001
02-25-2003, 11:24 PM
Great job! The absolute best mod so far. Soon, there won't be any need for an expansion.

Here are the bugs I found:
* couldn't add certain bots and crashed the game (custom ones)
* game crashed when second pistol was taken out (pistol worked fine at first)
* Level 4 Lightning and the flamethrower last about 1 second at most. The time should be lengthened IMO
* all of the models are shown now!!! great job! however, all the maps cannot be seen. is this fixable?
* dual jetpack thrusters are a bit too low
* grapple model is missing
* grapple cord comes out of foot. is there a possibility for it to come out of it's arm/hand or something?
* grapple cord is yellow
* i am not able to move when sniping even when cvar is turned on
* when second blade color is disabled and you turn on dual blades the colors overlap...very strange

Welcome Additions:
* Ledge grabbing
* blocking lightning and drain without absorb
* sticky sabers

Again, very nice job! First time I've played JK2 in a while. I think this got me hooked again! Thanks!
 bliv
02-26-2003, 1:15 PM
1) Bugs

Changing to dual pistols only effects me if it's the very first thing I do when the map loads. If I don't hit the hotkey it seems to work fine except on the odd occassion it crashes.

2) Imbalances

Every game I've played has been dominated by Merc bots. Jedi bots never rank highly. This seems to be because they don't block shots from dual pistol often enough and end up getting hit as they take swings.

3) Suggestions

Just a thought but it would be a nice touch to use the followinging classes for Merc. Scout, Soldier, Bounty Hunter. I can't remember if the 2nd one is or not but they were used in Mysteries of the Sith.

Force Grip - Mercs seem to be able to shoot you when you are gripping them. Perhaps a cvar to stop attacks when someone is gripped.

I like the cloaking feature. Really confused me when I first saw a bot using it.
 t3rr0r
02-26-2003, 6:34 PM
first and foremost... i'm either blind or the game doesn't want to change to jedi vs merc... it always changes the cvar back to 0.

Originally posted by bliv
Changing to dual pistols only effects me if it's the very first thing I do when the map loads. If I don't hit the hotkey it seems to work fine except on the odd occassion it crashes.
when i was playing a moment ago it crashed, also... and the hotkey doesn't seem to want to turn on dual anything.

relating to the grapple... to improve upon it, i suggest having it so that by pressing jump have it reel in, and by pressing crouch have it unwind...
 KaiaSowapit
02-26-2003, 7:02 PM
You, sir, are a king among men and it is my honor and privilege to be a beta tester. Sincerely, thank you!

First Impressions:

The menu system is wonderfully elegant (even if it's not complete) and great for those fearful of editing cfg files or using the console.

One feature I was greatly anticipating was jetpack support for bots. After installing ForceMod, I eagerly fired up the Kamino duel map (set to FFA) and spawned a bot of Jango from the Mandalorian model pack. Strangely, he first appeared with a saber, but after fiddling a bit with the Jedi vs. Merc settings, I got him to spawn properly with ranged weapons only. Unfortunately, I still never got him to use his jetpack. (Perhaps the bot routes have to be re-written?)

Undiscouraged, I decided to fight him anyway. The bot was vicious - I could barely get within ten feet of him before getting fragged. I pressed on through the falling rain and eventually brought some Jedi smack down on him (I was playing as Kit Fisto, with dual sabers). Jango respawned - still quite aggressive, killing me several more times before I get a chance to return the favor.

Then I noticed killing Jango became less and less challenging. As the matched progressed, our scores started to balance and beating him became easier and easier. And then he respawned completely passive.

He would run through his bot routes, picking up weapons, but completely ignored me - never once firing. I wacked him anyway, and that's when things really got weird. Jango respawned again, still passive, but could not be killed - in fact it was everything I could do just to get near him - he would run and turn to avoid me at all costs. But even when I hit him, he never died - never. And it didn't matter what I hit him with, sabers, blasters, grenades and rockets, even force pushing him over the edge... he was indestructible. Very very weird.

I figured something had gone screwy, so I rebooted my computer and started over. The exact same thing happened all over again.

I also experienced the same weirdness others have mentioned in trying to get dual pistols. Even with all force powers disabled, and my player character set to "Merc" the program didn't want to give me dual pistols. Eventually I did get it to work, but it's a mystery how I did it.

Requests/Suggestions:

Please consider removing the bot files from the scripts folder in the mod - it screwed up my bots big time (listing models I don't have & associating the wrong model with the wrong bot).

Release cg_thirdpersonrange from cheat protection. (Try playing with it set to a higher number than the default "80" - say around "350" - it's like a whole new game!)

Modify Tchouky's mod so that model scaling could be stored in custom model pk3s, just like saber color/scaling for bots. Keeping track of a lengthly cfg can be a little cumbersome and difficult for novice players.

Another mod, recently released, includes a great addition to the cvar mod_skillMode - players struck or shot in the leg(s) stumble and fall for a brief period. It's very immersive and lends even more realism to the game.

Extend FFA and Team FFA with a "last-man-standing" option of game play. Players get one life per-round and attempt to be the sole survivor(s).

Team games could be even more interesting if multiple teams could be implemented - imagine mercs vs jedi vs sith (would be great for clans too).

"Friendly" bots would be another welcome addition, or at least the option of "locking" bots to teams (currently bots are randomly reassigned to teams after a match completion).

Lastly, this probably won't make the short list, but I would greatly appreciate the option to be able to strip color from in-game text (such as chat and bot taunts). Unfortunately, using hardware anti-aliasing on my GeForce card causes color encoded text to tint the entire screen (same applies to color crosshairs) - green text tints my whole screen green, red tints the whole screen red, and so on. This is really a pain for black type (my whole screen goes black). I realize there probably isn't a lot of call for this, but if it's not too much trouble I'd be forever in your debt if you could implement it.

Thanks again Syrup for making a great game even better!
 Azymn
02-26-2003, 11:41 PM
* couldn't add certain bots and crashed the game (custom ones)
* game crashed when second pistol was taken out (pistol worked fine at first)
* all of the models are shown now!!! great job! however, all the maps cannot be seen. is this fixable?
* grapple cord comes out of foot. is there a possibility for it to come out of it's arm/hand or something?
* grapple cord is yellow
* when second blade color is disabled and you turn on dual blades the colors overlap...very strange

- Bot crashes are likely due to my inclusion of custom botfiles in the scripts\ folder. Removing them should fix the problem, but you'll have to make the mercs on your own.
- You mean when you turned dual guns off?
- Exactly how many maps can you see? Will you count them?
- Foot? It should come out just below the chest.
- lol - that's my fault. I made it yellow so i could see it better :)
- I'll check it out...i think that problem was in the original Jedimod, b/c it happened to me too.
You're saying you won't get dual guns if you run around for awhile and pickup stuff before you activate them?
It crashes when you try to put dualguns away?

first and foremost... i'm either blind or the game doesn't want to change to jedi vs merc... it always changes the cvar back to 0.

when i was playing a moment ago it crashed, also... and the hotkey doesn't seem to want to turn on dual anything.

relating to the grapple... to improve upon it, i suggest having it so that by pressing jump have it reel in, and by pressing crouch have it unwind...

What gametype were you playing when it reset the jediVmerc? Did you change it from the server startup screen?

What caused the crash? Turning dualguns off?

The grapple will have functional reel and unwind later on....the code is in there but the grapple line length isn't saving all the time, so it doesn't work well.

And it didn't matter what I hit him with, sabers, blasters, grenades and rockets, even force pushing him over the edge... he was indestructible. Very very weird.

I had that problem because i had an old copy of forcemod in the same directory (lol - no wonder i keep warning everyone about not having two mods in the same directory) and it went away after i took it out. You'll want to remove any other mods, especially Jedimod or ForceMod v1 from the same directory. Hopefully that's the same thing - Did anyone else have this problem? Please post if so, and try to figure out when it happened (after changing to merc in menu/after setting cvar "x"...).

Jetpacks & Bots = setting f_botpack to 6 will give every bot a jetpack...Also, they don't turn them on unless you knock them off a ledge or push them up in the air, so as to save themselves.

Please consider removing the bot files from the scripts folder in the mod - it screwed up my bots big time (listing models I don't have & associating the wrong model with the wrong bot).

Good call. It's better that you each manually make mercs - look in \scripts\mercs.bot for examples how:
merc 3
makes an Artillery Merc, etc...
Turn f_supermerc to "0" to try out the different classes.

I hope this clears up some questions & concerns.
Know that i've recorded all of your bugs, imbalances and suggestions for consideration.
 lionknight
02-27-2003, 12:33 AM
Darth_syrup, thanks for allowing me to test your excellent mod. At first glance, It is a great mod which I anticipate will fill all expectations. I haven't had that much time to test because I am in the middle of buying a house and moving. One problem I found is that I can not get the merc unique specialties working. It works as if they all have all the the new abilities (flamethrower, optic, ammo recharge, jetpack, and ects, are these attributes to be unique to different classes, espionage, artillery, and gunner? I do have f_supermerc 0 set. I can't use the f_snipemove 1, I can't move and mantain sniper zoom on, it clicks of when I move, even when set on espionage merc. The main setting is merc mod for these new merc features, is this correct? Thank You and I will continue to test.

On another note It would be a nice addition in the future if a merc could use a force pull effect with the grapple to grab and knock down an opponent. I don't know if this is possible, but is sure would look good. Maybe some graphic addition to force pull?
 KaiaSowapit
02-27-2003, 5:53 AM
Well I double, even triple checked and no there weren't any other mods in my base directory.

I figured I'd have another go at it just in case it was a fluke, but it happened again.

After killing Jango a few times, he became passive and indestructable. So for the heck of it, I thought I'd try spawning an additional bot (Darth Maul).

Suddenly regained his love for fragging... the other bot that is. He fired away at Maul, killing him several times, yet still completely ignored me. Maul ignored us both.

BTW, I took the liberty of removing the jedi & merc bot scripts out of the mod and added the merc flag to Jango's bot file. He still spawns as a non "true merc" - very strange. Is there a console method to spawn a merc bot?

Thanks!

P.S. Being able to damage/destroy opponents weapons is very cool!
 Azymn
02-27-2003, 6:20 AM
The main setting is merc mod for these new merc features, is this correct?
Correct. I'll check out the specialties, and the zoom code isn't working yet.

KaiaSowapit - set f_gunbreak to "0" and tell me if that invincibug still pops up. If you tagged the botfile right, I don't know why Jango wouldn't be a merc unless jediVmerc is only on 1 - it must be on 2 "MercMod" in order for the mercs to have their toys.
 t3rr0r
02-27-2003, 7:54 AM
Originally posted by Azymn
What gametype were you playing when it reset the jediVmerc? Did you change it from the server startup screen?

What caused the crash? Turning dualguns off?

The grapple will have functional reel and unwind later on....the code is in there but the grapple line length isn't saving all the time, so it doesn't work well.
1. i was executing the cvar via the console and in the game types i tried (including team ffa) it said i would have to restart the game, which i did, then it changed back to default (0).

2. it was after numerous presses of the dualguns hotkey.
 Azymn
02-27-2003, 8:03 AM
1. i was executing the cvar via the console and in the game types i tried (including team ffa) it said i would have to restart the game, which i did, then it changed back to default (0).
Bloomin weird....try setting it from the server startup screen - near the bottom in the middle. The menus shouldn't reset it ingame, but i'll go thru and doublecheck them. I think i put a message to print out in the upperleft corner of the screen when the server resets it in the code, so if you don't see that it must be something else.
 KaiaSowapit
02-27-2003, 9:03 AM
Azymn, you were right, I was playing with JedivMerc set to 1 - changing it to 2 made the game recognize Jango as a "true" merc and yes, he indeed started playing with all the toys. (And I thought blocking a single blaster was tricky!) He even used the jetpack, least I think he did. It was hard to tell because there was no animation (smoke, exhaust flame), but he did seem to jump higher than normal and stay airborne longer than he should have.

I also tried your suggestion, setting f_gunbreak to 0, but I still got the same progression. Jango went from a) aggressive & mortal to b) passive & mortal to eventually c) passive and immortal.

Adding a second bot restored his aggressiveness, but only towards the other bot - he remained passive towards me (as did the second bot).

I decided to forgo playing with Jango for awhile and try fighting other jedi/sith. I reset the game with just Maul. He behaved normally.

I added Desann. He and Maul both behaved normally (kicked my butt alot).

So then I thought I'd try another bot, this time a Battledroid. I was pretty disheartened when he entered the scene brandishing a saber (I'd modified his bot file so that he should only use blasters).

I decided to try changing JedivMerc back to 1 - this seemed effective in keeping the Battledroid from using a saber, however then Desann started using a rocket launcher. Argh!

I gave up when Maul kept getting his saber stuck after every throw. It would just freeze mid-air for awhile, then randomly teleport to one of his last locations. Killing him seemed to be the only way to get his saber restored. Then two seconds after he respawned, he'd chuck it and the whole mess would start all over again.

On a different note, I didn't realize until I did a cvarlist that f_showgriphand and f_showshield changed to f_hidegriphand and f_hideshield. Regardless, I still can't get rid of that silly hand.

Also, in another match against Maul (after trying to get rid of griphand), he started spawning with a seeker drone. I understand this is supposed to be an option for saber-only bots/players, but I wasn't spawning with one and I'm set to saber-only myself. The weird thing is that it just started happening - it didn't seem to have a rhyme or reason to it and in previous matches Maul never spawned with a seeker.

Anyhow, good luck with school - I'll keep you posted on any new observations. :)
 Azymn
02-27-2003, 3:08 PM
Jango went from a) aggressive & mortal to b) passive & mortal to eventually c) passive and immortal.
K, so it's a truemerc problem. Good to know.

Did you make the droid a merc?
Desann shouldn't get a rocket launcher if jediVmerc is 1. :S

Regardless, I still can't get rid of that silly hand.

I'm sorry, all the clientside cvars have been renamed cf_..., so setting cf_hidegriphand to 1 is what you want.

And i'm working on fixing that saberthrow bug....
 KaiaSowapit
02-27-2003, 7:09 PM
Did you make the droid a merc?

Nope, he's the same ole bot I've used (with no problems) in JK vanilla, the previous version of ForceMod, and also *cough* OmniMod.

Desann shouldn't get a rocket launcher if jediVmerc is 1.

That's exactly what I found so disturbing - and neither should have the Battledroid had a saber (no force powers and a zero for saber specialist). Either something is acting goofy with Jedi vs Merc or I'm losing my mind. (It could be either really.) :p

I'm sorry, all the clientside cvars have been renamed cf_..., so setting cf_hidegriphand to 1 is what you want.

I tried that, honest injun! I pretty much tried everything including harsh language - still no beans. That silly hand haunts me! Oh wait a second... did you say "cf"? I was using just plain "f" - lemme try that...

Update:

I reset the cvars and started from ground zero. Yes! Success, success! That silly grip hand thinggie is gone!

Now for the match...

Back on Kamino, my brave Jedi faces down yet another Jengo challenge. Mode is set to Jedi Vs Merc #2 "True Merc."

Well Jengo lives up to that title... before I know it I'm being blasted by dual Webstar pistols, besieged by multiple turrets, fenced in by numerous force field barriers, and roasted by gauntlet flame throwing fu. Poor little Kit Fisto is having the snot beaten out of him. Very, very cool!

One chance encounter turns favorable though and with a well-timed force push Jengo is introduced to the Kamino sea... hehe... um wait, where'd that blaster shot come from?? Well I didn't see it, but I've got to assume that while I was running for cover, arrogantly waiting for Jengo to respawn, that sucker fired up his jetpack and avoided a multiple story fall into a watery grave. I don't know what had me more flustered - that I didn't kill that little snert or that I missed his miraculous recovery. Nevertheless I went back to dodging his shots.

When a second opportunity arose I force pushed the bejesus out of him - and waited just to make sure. Fortunately, he didn't bounce back this time... but he also didn't die. What became of Jengo remains a mystery. The best I can figure is he was somewhere beneath the platform, biding his time.

A sucker for punishment, I decided it was time to bring out Maul. He popped up, as always, dual-bladed saber ignited and ready to clobber me. He also had a handy dandy lil seeker for company. Argh, how come Darth Maul gets one and I don't? Waaaaaaaa! Kit shrugs it off and lays into him anyway. Seconds later he's hovering in a vice-like throat grip AND being blasted by that accursed little seeker. It's a tough life being a Jedi.

Once the seeker self destructs Kit puts up a valiant fight against Maul, but essentially it's a stand-off. Eager to retire, he taps out and I switch models to Master Yoda. Man oh man can that little green frog kick a**. It's not long before Maul is on the run (for the record however, Jengo is STILL #1 in victories at this point, even in his mysterious absence).

Yoda tires of slapping Maul around, so I decide it's time to spice things up again. I call out a Battledroid to join in on the fun.

Argh, then "it" happens. Roger spawns, not with blaster in hand, but rather a big red saber. He proceeds to switch between the saber and a Bowcaster depending on his mood. I figure it's prolly a good time to restart the match.

On restart, Jengo makes his return... but wait... oh no, that's not what I think it is? Now Jengo is sporting a big lightsaber of his own - a purple one even!

I'm suspicious that all of this may have something to do with Jedi Vs Merc being set to 2, so I plop down the console and switch it back to 1. Double argh, I have to restart the match again.

The good news is that after my restart, Jengo is back (though only sporting one Webstar) and the Battledroid is without anything resembling a saber. Maul is pretty much useless - stuck in the middle he's going down every other second like a sack of potatoes (Jengo & Roger are emotionally attached and teaming up on him). I pity the little sith apprentice and relieve him of duty... spawning up another Battledroid in his place.

Well now I'm getting hammered - even Yoda has his limitations - so I decide to go into Spectator mode and call out Master Bot Windu to fill my shoes. I figured he's gonna need a buddy, so I recall good 'ole Kit as his bot companion.

Hmm.. that's not Kit with a blaster, is it? Oh cr@p, yes it is. Where did he get that? Oh but wait, he's gone back to a saber... oh cr@p now Mace has a rocket launcher! Argggghh!

I'm stymied.
 Azymn
02-28-2003, 1:09 AM
KaiaSowapit - was it a team game where they had the weapons they shouldn't of?
 KaiaSowapit
02-28-2003, 1:34 AM
Strictly 100% FFA - no teams.

I just have some bots with emotional attachments, like Battledroids won't attack other Battledroids, Jengo won't attack Boba, etc..

I might just run a few more "bot only" matches to see if there's more consistency with their behavior.

On another note, any thoughts on why Maul kept spawning with a seeker?

BTW, where did you learn all this stuff? I've been looking around and haven't seen much reference or tutorials... did you just scour the source code to figure it all out? I'd love to take a crack at modding, but it all makes my head spin. :p
 Ronin_Medjai
02-28-2003, 6:19 AM
the only real bugs I found is that when you press the dual pistols button without having pistol as your weapon the game crashes everything else owns flamethrower could be a bit longer as well as cloaking and once you get the reel and unwind for the grappl and the actual graphics for it it will own too. So the only real bug is the dual pistols crashing one everything seemed real balanced to me I actually had a challenge as both a merc vs jedis and vice versa. Very promisbale mod cant wait for final release thx for letting me help beta! :D
 bliv
02-28-2003, 11:19 AM
The seeker comes free with Jedi 'Saber only' settings. Hit your hotkey to launch it as normal when you respawn.
 t3rr0r
02-28-2003, 4:30 PM
Originally posted by Ronin_Medjai
the only real bugs I found is that when you press the dual pistols button without having pistol as your weapon the game crashes
i've only had dualguns working once... the other times (with pistol in hand or not) it crashed the game. oh and i found out why jedi vs merc wasn't enabling... saber only was on.
 bliv
02-28-2003, 5:33 PM
Strange. Dual guns usually works fine for me as long as it's not the first operation I perform.

Could be something to do with other settings in ForceMod conflicting?
 Littleman206
02-28-2003, 8:46 PM
The mods works great as far as i can tell, the only problem is, after a while the bots start becoming invulnerable, I think its jstones who use guns. It's happened in massassi temple, bespin streets and nar shaddaa maps and I've got no idea why, everything just hits them and makes the effect as if they were a wall. It's rather annoying as you have to kick every bot when they become invulnerable and also suicide when you do(or you can be gay and keep playin). Tried turing off cangod, command and not surprisingly didnt work. This was in the mercmod mode and maybe normal jediVmerc as well. No other mods installed. Also basically everybot uses sabers and guns or just guns(obviously these guys are mercs). I'd say this is becasue sabers&guns are the basic choices for favourite weapon. If possible could you change this on bots as you find desann carrying around a fletchette, I mean what kinda sith lord needs a gun.
Also force heal is kinda useless now as it takes about 15 seconds to heal up so you cant use it in battle anymore. Takin time i alright but i think it should be an advantage. That is, it takes about a a second to heal, but you only lose mana proportional to what you are healed(so if you heal 5 hp you dont lose half your mana). Lighting is still to good at level four. How about you get rid of invulnerability to other lightning(thats what absorbs for) and make it knock them dpwn or something (emperor got luke to the ground in seconds) lvl 4 push and pull should maybe hold them down longer, instead of just throwing them a few kilometres.
Force speed is much abetter with 2 second timer, mayeb you could multiply the speed factor by 1.5 or so.
Destroying second saber doesnt actually get rid of it, same with guns it just damages the holder. Jetpack worked though and that was good.
Also, with me couldnt move while zoomed in using anyone(including espionage), and everyone gt duel pistopls and blasters(every merc that is),which was kinda annoying.
As far as i can tell, every merc got all the merc powers ( cloaking, flamethrower etc.)
Also, seeing is too good and makes espionage merc basically useless, as their main advantage s sniper movement however lvl 4 seeing means u automatically didge all their attacks.
Just an idea and I dont expect you to do it in this version as its probably difficult, make speed and seeing give u a 10% chance to doge per lvl, i.e lvl 1 on each is 20 %, lvl 2 and 1 is 30% etc.
Or maybe its a 50% chance to dodge 100% if your targeting the attacker(like blocking lightning). Turned on however he'll always dodge(as is the norm).
Also, getting rid of saber throw on dual wielders, and instead making secondary attack swing second saber, could make some cool comboes that way. Plus it's annoying the way if you throw one you cant block with the other. OR you could just make him throw both sabers.
The green special attack is a bit useless unless you have a roof a foot above you as you jump to high to hit with the first spin and it it takes along time so they can get away easily. Mayeb speeding up its animation and drasticaly lowering the height(so he basically spins on hi toes). Same with the purple one(or did you chaneg that, I know with 2 sabers it was ike yellows) lower the jump height so you can make alot more hits.
Finally, could you enable the greens single saber attack( the spinning one) with the twin sabres, its just so much better then yellows special when using two sabers, just look at omnimod.
ALMOST FORGOT, you start with no blaster ammo, meaning your stuck with a disruptor and a stun batton only for a while. Speaking of stun batton, its gay, mercs should use fists, feet and maybe their head. Just to show that melee really is a last resort.

All in all, theres not many bugs I found, just weapons being destroyed not going away and people becoming invulnerable, plus all bots use saber and gun style, if you could chaneg that I reckon it'd be much better, only kyle and luke should use guns AND sabers, everyone else should be one way or the other.

Sorry about rambling so much i just do that, great job by the way, aside form the bugs this is AWESOME! can wait for ti to be fixed up! dont take that offensively
 lionknight
03-01-2003, 8:47 AM
I only had time to test this for 1 hour on the first map but if you put in command prompt f_powerbots 0, rather then 1, 2, or ects. The bots react much more like they are supposed to. They do not become too weak or too strong and merc act like merc and jedi like jedi. I had some excellent fights against jango fett and desann and jango even used his jetpack to rise up on building and shoot at me. Jango used his appropriate merc weapons and desann his sith weapons. At no point did jango use a saber when he respawned. If the setting is set to f_powerbots 1 then he respawns with a saber and does not use jetpack. Please take in mind you must have the game set to merc mod. Good luck to all of you. Any idea when the grapple will be complete, I am really looking foward to test? When will the specialties be finished? (example: espionage's snipemove). Once again thank you for the opportunity to test, and I apologize for not being able to test more, I am in the middle of moving. Great Job Darth_syrup.
 mariners2001
03-01-2003, 8:42 PM
am i the only one whose flame gauntlets and level 4 lightning last less than 1 second?
 Azymn
03-01-2003, 11:41 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, it's really been a great help.
I felt i should update you guys on what i've been able to do the past few hours:

The following bugs/missing features should be fixed in Beta 2:

- bot invulnerability/loss of ai bug fixed
- f_supermerc can now be properly disabled
- dualguns can now be limited to correct classes
- improved stability of dualgun functions
- cf_singlestances correctly limits to original 3 stances
- a frozen player can't be unfrozen if another player grips them
- womprat does something :)
- Level 4 Lightning and the flamethrower last longer
- jetpack fx now match model position more accurately
- Grapple has the grapple model again
- grapple cord fx improved
- Espionage merc can now move while sniping (f_snipemove cvar has been removed - it was the culprit)
- Second blade color for Tck RGB sabers can now truly be disabled
- couldn't add certain bots and crashed the game (custom ones)
(removing the new *.bot files in the current pk3 will fix this now)
- and a few minor menu fixes

There are a few more things i'm going to try to get working before i send beta 2 out. If you find any other bugs/imbalances, lemme know.

Thanks.
 lionknight
03-02-2003, 9:14 AM
Unfortunately after further testing, even when set to f_powerbots 0, the bots become passive and invunerable after about 3 to 6 kills. But they still appear with there appropriate weapons. Tested on merc mod and 1st map. Even with these annoying bugs the mod is a great pleasure to play.
 deXtoRious
03-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Are there any more beta testing positions left? I REALLY want to beta test your mod...:rolleyes:
 mariners2001
03-02-2003, 1:14 PM
if you really want it, i'd drop your e-mail down here
 Zathu Koon
03-02-2003, 4:12 PM
Alright, here is my first impression/bugs:
Looks great, new grapple is interesting.. Clients being able to enable green/purple themselves is neat.. didn't have the chance to test out much of the other toys.

You may know these, but here are some bugs I found in the first 5 mins:
Players can still throw saber when frozen
Couldn't slap myself
Rename doesn't work right

If you want a more descript bug report on any of those, lmk and I'll get that to you.

Something that would be great for my clan/server would be a sub-admin system, one that doesnt use rcon. Being able to toggle what commands the sub-admins would have would be great.
 Master_Payne
03-02-2003, 4:50 PM
This may be a sweet adition, it's from the LMS thread

Saber throw is out. In it's place, the right mouse button is now used for Saber Defense. When held down, the Jedi takes on a defensive stance which increases his chances of defending both saber attacks and enemy fire. Also, if held down in the middle of a saber swing, the swing can be brought back to the ready position mid-swing. (i.e. if you spot an attack coming just after you've swung).

That's because saber throw isn't very effective and throw your only weapon/defense is not a very "smart" move.

BTW this mod is looking great, hope the beta is coming well.
sorry if I type something wrong (this is not my primary language :P)

***Just realize I post on the wrong ForceMod thread, please forgive my mistake***
 deXtoRious
03-02-2003, 5:14 PM
My e-mail is deXtoRious@inbox.lv. PLEASE LET ME BETA TEST IT!!!
 bliv
03-02-2003, 5:14 PM
The bug fixes sound like the cover every known error so far. I'll keep looking for more though.
 Blue_Lightsaber
03-02-2003, 6:09 PM
CVC@hvc.rr.com

SEND IT HERE SEND IT HERE SEND IT HERE SEND IT HERE

Lol jk but I really would like to beta test this mod.
 Azymn
03-03-2003, 4:04 AM
lionknight - that is the single most annoying bug, and i believe it is now fixed.

Master_Payne - i do like the saber defense idea, but saberthrow is quite effective against mercs (maybe too effective). I am open to ideas on improving saber combat, but the changes would not come until a later release (after v 2.0, if there will be such a thing :) ).

The bug fixes sound like the cover every known error so far. I'll keep looking for more though.
The more, the merrier. :)

I should be getting beta 2 out to everyone at the end of the week.
 Azmier
03-03-2003, 10:25 AM
As far as bugs and things I think everyone else has named off everything I have noticed, but I am having a little trouble with the model limit. For some reason it does not wanna take the cap off. Also I have one seggestion. On lvl4 speed, since it does not last that long. Maybe you could make it cost a little less forcepoint wise. Anyways that all I can see that no one else has pointed out. Keep up the good work. The mod is turning out great so far.
 KaiaSowapit
03-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Mini Suggestions:

1. Make saber style (stances) bind-able, instead of forcing us to cycle through them

2. Make Force Jump's initial accent really, really fast like the movies (perhaps with the same motion-blur fx as Force Speed)

3. Un-cheat protect cg_thirdpersonrange (okay I know that's my own personal pet project, but it's really really cool - trust me! :))

4. Alter the included tckmodel.cfg so that Yoda's height is more accurate to the movies ("yoda" 0.40 0.34)

On another note... Good news! I found a solution to my anti-aliasing problem - not the most elegant, but a solution nevertheless.

I added two commands of toggleconsole to all my move binds.

Ta da! Low-tech scripting saves the day! :)
 Azymn
03-04-2003, 1:38 AM
Azmier - I'm not sure i'm going to be leaving the model cap fix in...it may be causing unseen problems elsewhere (like limiting the # of maps that can load). It will require more extensive testing before it can be decidedly released.
I'll knock a few points off of ForceSpeed costs for beta 2 and see what everyone thinks.

1. Make saber style (stances) bind-able, instead of forcing us to cycle through them

Hmm...the biggest problem with that is how many binds there are already. It could be done, but taking up 5 more buttons might not be agreeable to others. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

2. Make Force Jump's initial accent really, really fast like the movies (perhaps with the same motion-blur fx as Force Speed)

I'll look into it.

3. Un-cheat protect cg_thirdpersonrange (okay I know that's my own personal pet project, but it's really really cool - trust me! )

I've seen the effect...but it's better left cheat protected b/c it gives a huge advantage to your vision if you zoom out.

4. Alter the included tckmodel.cfg so that Yoda's height is more accurate to the movies ("yoda" 0.40 0.34)

Hehe, i wish i could tell you how many people complained about the last forcemod where i released yoda at 0.37 height (which is accurate according to starwars.com) and asked to make him bigger: 0.55 if i remember right. I figure 0.47 is a good compromise, no? And you can actually hit him once or twice at that height :)
 Littleman206
03-04-2003, 1:43 AM
Whats with all the saber colours? I cant stand desann with that purple and tavion with the aqua-thing! And why's he got double bladed saber!? Maul doesnt even have the "remove line fr normal saber crap" why the hell does some retarded dinosaur? Again, reborn with green shadow trooper with aqua-turquoise ****! Sith's should have red's oranges etc, jedi have the green's and purple's! Sorry about that i just get really, really worked up by small things.
Awesome mod though and i reckonm that idea for Saber defence replacing throw is really good! It just makes sense! What kinda tool throws his defense at the enemy? How many cops tak off there kevlar and throw it? Because its the same thing, well more or less anyway.
Quick idea, how about you make it so you can ONLY use your favourite weapon(double, dual or single), or to be a little less cruel animations are slowed down when using something other than it. So your favourite gets an added bonus of damage AND speed.
Finally the exmoves mod i got rules! Looks cool when Jedi are doin cartwheels and flips, unfotunately mercs look like tools. IF you could some how get it so mercs do normal rolls where as Jedi do flips it would be great. By the way it also changes idle stances to look cooler.
 KaiaSowapit
03-04-2003, 3:47 AM
Hmm...the biggest problem with that is how many binds there are already. It could be done, but taking up 5 more buttons might not be agreeable to others. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Well you don't have to remove the ability to cycle, just add the option of being able to bind a stance. No one would have to assign them to a bind if they didn't want to. Personally I only use a couple stances (sometimes just one), so it's a real pain to have to cycle through them just to get to my favorites.
I'll look into it.
I don't know if or how it would affect gameplay, but for coolness factor alone... wow, you know it would look cool! :)
I've seen the effect...but it's better left cheat protected b/c it gives a huge advantage to your vision if you zoom out.
It does increase your range of vision, but somewhat at the expense of accuracy. Is it still an advantage if everyone can do it? I guess I'm fond of a more distant setting because it's the closest thing to giving the player periphial vision - it also gives the game a more "cinematic" feel. Just like timescale, IMHO it seems like a lil bit of overkill to have to resort to devmap in order to alter this. I mean it's not like evoking "god" mode. :p
Hehe, i wish i could tell you how many people complained about the last forcemod where i released yoda at 0.37 height (which is accurate according to starwars.com) and asked to make him bigger: 0.55 if i remember right. I figure 0.47 is a good compromise, no? And you can actually hit him once or twice at that height
Hehee, I suppose you're right! He is a heck of a lil bugger to hit even at 0.55. :) (Although the bots still somehow seem to manage quite well.) Usually live opponents will either change into a Yoda skin themselves or ask you to switch to a larger model. (BTW, on most servers I've been to, somehow Jawas are even smaller... go figure?!) I guess I'm a lil hung up on continuity - it bugs me to see people jetpacking who aren't using Fett skins too.

Littleman206, I don't think Azymn is responsible for the color choices in the config - I think they were set up long ago by the maker of JediMod or perhaps even Tchouky himself. Either way, it just takes a little editing in your favorite text editor to fix (private message me if you need any help).

I gotta agree with you and Master_Payne though... I always thought Saber Throw was kinda a cheap move. It's especially a pain when sabers keep getting stuck in mid-air. Rather silly I think.

Well I have a boat load more of ideas (some of them are even good too :p), but I'm trying to hold back a lil before overwhelming Syrup. :)

Keep up the great work! This mod is shaping up to be the very best ever!

And thanks again for the opportunity to beta test! You're the bomb!
 Littleman206
03-04-2003, 3:55 AM
Yeah i know i can edit the sabre colours and such, but as far as i know i have to edit the pk3 meaning i cant play online then because mine is different. And yeah i know that he didnt set it but considering how easy it is to change, why not change it? FYI I'm pretty sure its been like that since jedimod v1.1.
and yeah sorry about putting all these ideas in this thread, just I tend to ramble on alot.
By the way this mod is AWESOME and i reckon your idea to add in two more powers ROCKS! Great work again and thank you for getting me back into this game!, p.s may aswell have it come with ep2 weapons just so we get jango usin his OWN guns:D sorry rambling again.
 KaiaSowapit
03-04-2003, 5:03 AM
as i know i have to edit the pk3 meaning i cant play online then because mine is different.

I've changed it and I've never had a problem playing online. :)

I think it's only an issue with "pure" servers anyways, which in my experience are pretty rare when it comes to anything but vanilla JK2. But your mileage may vary. Try it and see what happens - just keep a backup.

BTW (as you prolly already know) the ep2 weapons are already available as a mod (and work just fine with ForceMod). I'd rather Azymn didn't include them, if for no other reason just to keep the download size reasonable. OmniMod does this with about a zillion useless hilt models and bulks up the file with +6mb of cr@p. That's a major pain if you ask me - especially if you already have all those mods in the first place.

I said I wouldn't do this, but just to stay on topic... ;)

More suggestions (okay, these are some big ones):

Jedi/Sith...

1. Force Heal
a. allow it for both sides, light & dark
b. make it a passive power, slowly regenerating health over time (rate determined by cvar) - does not drain Force points
c. make it also an active power - allow players to evoke it to immediately raise health by 50% or more, but at the expense of nearly their entire Force Meter (75%) - this could double for (replace) Team Heal as well

2. Force Grip (choke), Drain, Lightning, Speed, Saber Throw, Push, & Pull
a. limit effective range/duration (determined by cvar)
b. make them powerful but grossly expensive in Force points; e.g.: a single Force Push nearly completely drains the Force Meter (75%)

3. Force Jump
a. completely free - does not drain Force points (create cvar to determine maximum jump height)

4. Mind Trick
a. massively drains Force Meter, yet remains effective indefinitely until the player attacks/extends saber
b. the Force Meter does not regenerate while in effect

5. Saber skills
a. limit 2 "styles" or "stances" per type of saber use (single saber, dual saber & double bladed saber - pick the most aesthetically pleasing animation for the type of saber use)
c. define the two "styles" as "defensive" and "offensive"
i. "Defensive" - the quickest, most acrobatic and most effective in blocking, parrying and blaster deflection - less effective in overt attacking (though still potentially quite lethal)
ii. "Offensive" - extremely lethal - should kill in one or two successful hits, yet slower and less effective in blocking, parrying and blaster deflection (perhaps only against targets immediately in crosshairs) - also each click of the attack button drains the Force Meter & attacks while in this stance are dependent on having available Force points (amount of drain determined by cvar) - make this bind-able and it could be a real kick @ss replacement for alt-fire

6. Limit class to sabers only and no "power ups" such as health or shields.

7. Find a better animation for Force Sight - maybe the "glow" from Force Boon or Force Enlightenment (that yellow mess is an eyesore) - I'm not very fond of the treatments for Force Protect or Force Absorb either (maybe they could "glow" too or just simply be turned off?)

8. A saber/blaster shot to the noggin should always be fatal - end of story

Whew, almost 5am... geesh time for bed already! :p
 mariners2001
03-04-2003, 5:57 PM
oh by the way, i found out the map limit was around 55 - it's always been like that though. i do not think your fixing the model limit had any effect. you should definitely leave the model fix on. it's soo much better now. also, is it possible to block the lightning/drain without absorb on?

also, any chance of ledge grabbing? hehe...this feature would make the mod for me. ;)
 KaiaSowapit
03-05-2003, 7:20 AM
Somewhat off topic, but that silly Force Grip hand... is that a shader or code? I've been looking for the darn thing in assets and can't find it (thought I'd try to make some cosmetic changes to the Force Powers myself). :)

BTW, RenegadeOfPhunk is working on a mod for adding a "last man standing" mode to JK2 - could be awesome if it works with ForceMod! Maybe you two could collaborate?
 RenegadeOfPhunk
03-05-2003, 7:26 AM
I personally would be very interested in making a combined mod - specifically with ForceMod. (I would be willing to merge all the code changes myself...)

But I think the idea might be more viable once I actually release my first version - so people can actually see it in action...
 Master_Payne
03-05-2003, 11:11 AM
I'd love to see a fusion between ForceMod and LMS classes, specially for the saber code of the last one maybe for ForceMod 3.0 so we can play both Mods first an you may call it "Best Mod Ever Done" :P
Well thats all, now back to the shadows.
 Bogus
03-05-2003, 12:00 PM
LOOKS GREAT

i take it your fed up with testing requests so ill just wait until you release the public beta. unless it is gonne take like 12 days

as for multiplayer. will any feature work in single player like the dual pistols because i see great modding posibilitys. like bounty hunter the jk2 mod. you get to be a merc and hunt people in coruscant and stuff. as well it would just be fun to shoot troopers with dual blaster and fly and stuff.

when can we expect another test run or a public beat?
Page: 1 of 5