Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: 4-Lom using the C-3P0 model

Page: 2 of 4
 kaibigan
07-19-2002, 1:17 PM
Oh and Oddjob what has been happening since you guys shut down AUT? Some talk of some retail game but that was the end of it. Did you guys give up on it?

Kaito Fett

PS Still have Magnum Philosophy in my mp3 playlist
 oddjob: A-Team
07-19-2002, 3:08 PM
We are still working on what it became, although slowly at the moment as we are in the middle of passing the torch from one coder to another. And you know how coders are, they like to start from scratch and do it all themselves. :p
07-19-2002, 4:17 PM
http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/img/4lom_ingame.jpg)

As you can see I have some textures assigned to the wrong parts(upper thighs) and the caps aren't showing up for some reason(I am using the same that the protocol droid uses, a broken switch texture, to no avail so far.) And a texture for part of the model that links the shoulder to the torso doesn't show up as well, but I think that just because I didn't skin mesh it. I also added the heads to the 3po and Imp droids as well. Somebody making a battle droid should send me their head to attach it too. :)

As far as the rigging goes, there is some funky stuff going on that won't look quite right because I linked whole pieces to one bone to get that solid 'armor' type feel that a protocol droid should have. Which, as funky as that might look, it will be better than the alternative. So sometimes the shoulder will clip into the torso as you can see from some of the pic's and sometimes it will be twisted at a really unnatural angle. Just remember that the droids aren't human.
 Kit Fisto
07-19-2002, 4:22 PM
Its looking gread oddjob. Keep it up.
 t3rr0r
07-19-2002, 8:02 PM
/me stills thinks the head shoulda been adjusted
don't get me wrong, though. :sweat: props to you. :) you should make a tut on porting sp models to mp sometime. :D
 CheshireKat
07-19-2002, 11:47 PM
Looking good Oddjob! The only things I see with the head really is matching the skin to the body, but if you want to adjust the head, just add an Edit Mesh modifier when your weighting is finished and move whatever verts you want around and re-export it on your final. Doing more that vert movement could result in throwing the UV's off.

Great Work!
07-20-2002, 2:43 AM
What do you mean match the skin to the body? I am not sure I understand. Oh, and thanks.
 fat_101
07-20-2002, 2:55 AM
well looks good to me ..... nuff said :D
 nomad
07-20-2002, 3:25 AM
Oddjob, I am extremely thankful for your contributions to this community!

Not only have you produced quality material, but from what I've seen, you've been a very respectful, informative, and intelligent member of this community and I was shocked to see the rude remarks that were thrown your way. There is no need to dwell on any of that, as it is completely meaningless. I do hope that it remains water under the bridge, and no more is to come of it.
I am very happy that along with your talents, that you are obviously a Classic Star Wars Fan :)

Keep up the good work!
And I thank you once again.

-nomad

MTFBWY
07-20-2002, 3:42 AM
:) Thanks.

Oh, and here's another pic, this time of the Imperial protocol droid and C3po. Enjoy!

http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/img/c3po.jpg)
 CheshireKat
07-20-2002, 3:56 AM
Hehe, Cool!

Anyways, what I meant was that the skin on the head compared to the body seems off, but now Im thinking that Im thinking of the action figure too much compared to how he should look. :o

Anyways, Keep at It!
 adillon
07-20-2002, 3:58 AM
sweet pic, oddjob! c3p0 with a lightsaber? whodathunk we'd ever see THAT?! :c3po:

4-lom's looking great. i never knew he had the body of a protocol droid. you learn something new EVERY day.

keep up the great work! btw, your boussh/leia model ROCKS!
 Delmar
07-20-2002, 4:17 AM
wow, oddjob. your 4-lom is looking great and i'm also excited to see the "cybot" running around in mp! will you be releasing the mod that brings them into mp as well as your 4-lom model?
 t3rr0r
07-20-2002, 4:24 AM
Originally posted by Delmar
wow, oddjob. your 4-lom is looking great and i'm also excited to see the "cybot" running around in mp! will you be releasing the mod that brings them into mp as well as your 4-lom model?
Originally posted by oddjob: A-Team
I also added the heads to the 3po and Imp droids as well. Somebody making a battle droid should send me their head to attach it too.
(concerning the plain threepio) i just did some quick recolourings of the base threepio skin. team colours and grey/silver. tell me if you're interested in them. it'd be just one less task to worry about. :)
07-20-2002, 5:31 AM
Chesire: I see. Well, in all the reference pic's and with the action figures as well, the color of the body and the color of the head is pretty disparate. It's like they just stuck that head on an unused protocol droid body and shoved him out there for that scene when they filmed it. :)

Now, if I could just get the caps to render I could release a preliminary version...

Also I added custom sounds(of course) for everybody. 4-Lom is just a bunch of JKII sounds thrown together. Like metal crashes and droids exploding, etc. I will leave his taunt as a suprise to see who can figure out where in JKII I got it.

And C3PO's are a bunch of clips from the movies. If ANYBODY could get me the sound clip of him yelling 'Die Jedi' or whatever the line was from EpII, I would be very appreciative.

I still need to find some good sounds for the Imperial droid though.
07-20-2002, 5:33 AM
Hell yeah! I was just going to not do the silver/EpII c3po and let the community of skinners add them later so that's nice and the team colors are really nice favor. Thanks. Perhaps you could upload them somewhere?
 t3rr0r
07-20-2002, 5:36 AM
Hell yeah! I was just going to not do the silver/EpII c3po and let the community of skinners add them later so that's nice and the team colors are really nice favor. Thanks. Perhaps you could upload them somewhere?
i could .zip them up and e-mail them to you. cause my space is only a wee tripod site. :( i didn't get any icons done, but i have the textures and .skin files.

edit: i'll pm you the links so noone else gets a hold of them.
 MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-20-2002, 6:07 AM
WOW! :c3po: :p

Great job getting 3PO in-game w/out his arms deforming! 4-Lom looks incredible too. Man, after the WIP models are released, there aren't going to be any main StarWars characters left to model (unless you want to make new ones of existing ones).

Keep up the great work!
 Sounds Risky
07-20-2002, 6:22 AM
Originally posted by MUHAHAHAHAHA
Man, after the WIP models are released, there aren't going to be any main StarWars characters left to model (unless you want to make new ones of existing ones).

Has everyone forgotten Han?!
 remark 666
07-20-2002, 6:44 AM
really cool, can't wait for both of them to be released ^_^
 MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-20-2002, 6:59 AM
I thought there was a Han Solo model in progress.... Maybe I'm mistaken. If not, it would be a great model to make. If I had more experience w/ 3DSMax, I'd tackle it, but I'm not to the point where I could make something humanoid yet. Maybe one of our modeling gurus will make Han. :-D
 nucular_jedi_14
07-20-2002, 6:59 AM
*grabs nearest protocol droid and starts dancin* lol:c3po:
07-20-2002, 7:42 AM
Originally posted by t3rr0r

i could .zip them up and e-mail them to you. cause my space is only a wee tripod site. :( i didn't get any icons done, but i have the textures and .skin files.

edit: i'll pm you the links so noone else gets a hold of them.

Don't worry about the icons. I can do them.

Just email them to me at oddjob@ateamproductions.com
 t3rr0r
07-20-2002, 7:59 AM
the links are in the pm i sent you.

on another note, i wonder if someone could make a shiney grey one, too (with a shader)... or rather it'd be silver then. maybe a shader could be put on the default 3po to make true c-3po. so many possibilities... :)
 adillon
07-20-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Matt Shoemaker

Has everyone forgotten Han?!

i was thinking the same thing today. people talk about jacen and jaina solo, but they forget about THE MAN of whose loins they are the fruit of, or something like that ...

... sorry to stray from the topic at hand. :rolleyes:
 trowa500
07-20-2002, 10:20 AM
Han has been made 3 times
 Sounds Risky
07-20-2002, 10:25 AM
Could you provide a clickie to the model then?

4-LOM is looking quite nice by the way.
07-20-2002, 11:15 AM
Well, I was thinking I would make Han in Hoth gear next actually. Perhaps Zuckuss, but I am leaning towards Han in Hoth gear. Plus, I have a Harrison Ford head already made that is a fair likeness unskinned.
 MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-20-2002, 12:54 PM
Han SKINS have been made, but no specific models that looked like him. I guess someone could modify the Lando model and put a Harrison Ford head on him, and slightly change the clothes.
 nucular_jedi_14
07-20-2002, 9:56 PM
lol
 nucular_jedi_14
07-20-2002, 9:58 PM
lol!:c3po:
 MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-20-2002, 10:09 PM
And C3PO's are a bunch of clips from the movies. If ANYBODY could get me the sound clip of him yelling 'Die Jedi' or whatever the line was from EpII, I would be very appreciative.

Click here (http://purduerob614.undonet.com/diejedi.mp3) for that sound clip. It needs to be cleaned up by somebody who knows sound editing better than me, but it's a start.

BTW if anyone wants Yoda saying, "how embarassing, how embarassing..." I have that here (http://purduerob614.undonet.com/howembarassing.mp3)

If these aren't in the right format for JKII, let me know. I used cool edit, and wasn't sure how to change the settings the right way, so it might be wrong. Let me know and I'll fix it if necessary.
 t3rr0r
07-20-2002, 11:34 PM
check your pms, oddjob, for the updated face textures.

here's a little preview of my n00b skins. ;) http://clan-cd.tripod.com/jk2/red-threepio.txt)
 MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-21-2002, 4:26 AM
Nice red team skin, 3PO looks very menacing, lol. That along w/ the "DIE JEDI" taunt, and I can see people running away from him in fear :c3po: .

Keep up the good work guys.
 inbredyokel
07-21-2002, 4:45 AM
This was mentioned before, but someone really does need to tackle the shaders on the c-3po models. I would try, but by the time I'd figure it out and have them ready you'd have released several weeks earlier. He just seems so fake and spray-painted looking without a chrome finish.
 t3rr0r
07-21-2002, 6:32 AM
Originally posted by inbredyokel
This was mentioned before, but someone really does need to tackle the shaders on the c-3po models. I would try, but by the time I'd figure it out and have them ready you'd have released several weeks earlier. He just seems so fake and spray-painted looking without a chrome finish.
some of them, though, like aotc c-3po or k-3po, should have their flat finishes.

btw, i was inspired to do the red protocol droid after looking at the picture of tc-3 in the phantom menace scrapbook.
 inbredyokel
07-21-2002, 6:58 AM
Yes, naturally. But the game's c-3po skin just looks very fake, especially in the way they attempted to paint-on light reflecting from the surface. It doesn't even look gold, it's more of a nasty mustard-yellow. The Aotc threepio could use a slight sheen though. Take a look at the finish on the Energy Trooper skin and you'll see what I mean.
 t3rr0r
07-21-2002, 11:13 AM
did you grab the updated textures yet, oddjob?
07-21-2002, 11:17 AM
Yeah, thanks. I fixed some of the texture problems I was having and it's looking like I might have a preliminary version out later today... Stay tuned.
07-22-2002, 12:02 PM
Ok, here's a beta of the models. I hopefully Tripod will hold out long enough for some of you to pick this up and give me some feedback.

http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/glm_4lom.zip)

There are no icons made yet. Just placeholders. Other than that the sounds and textures are set. There are, of course, no LOD yet. And I know there are some problems with the model clipping and they will remain as I stated above.

Oh, and many thanks to t3rr0r for the red, blue and silver skins for c3po(I think the version uploaded doesn't have your updated faces t3rr0r, but I have them and they will make it into the final release.)

Enjoy.

EDIT: Fixed the link!
 Delmar
07-22-2002, 12:04 PM
w00t! thank you sir! will be enjoying giving these fellas a test run..
 Lucko Mabri
07-22-2002, 12:13 PM
d/ling now :D
 t3rr0r
07-22-2002, 12:20 PM
drat... just missed them. :rolleyes:
/me waits for tripod :sweat:
 Lucko Mabri
07-22-2002, 12:44 PM
The zip file is buggered :(

-Lucko Mabri
07-22-2002, 4:57 PM
I figured tripod would be sketchy at best. Ah well, I will try to upload it to my personal site. I will just have to chop some stuff out of the beta pk3 that will be in the final to do it. Gimmie a few hours and I will have it up on a more reliable site.
 adillon
07-22-2002, 5:14 PM
Originally posted by inbredyokel
He just seems so fake and spray-painted looking without a chrome finish.

amen, brudda! c3p0 needs to have a shader, more specifically an environment map, placed on his skin to make him look shiny and reflect his surroundings. remember the mandalorian/fett models from way back when? how about the newest version of vader? how do you think they got them to look so shiny?

according to sithlord-ii, there are 2 things you can do. "borrow" the shader script from the stormtrooper model which gives you said environment map, OR download q3ase (Quake 3 Arena Shader Editor) which is software allowing you to apply shaders to the skin. yeah, i know, it's called quake 3 ... what engine do you think jkII uses? you can download it at this location (http://dl.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?polycount/tools/quake3/q3ase.zip) with a tutorial located here (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/resources/quake3/Shader_Doc/Q3Ashader_manual.htm).

hope it helps! i know i need to see the protocal droids in all their shiny glory!! :D
 t3rr0r
07-22-2002, 5:31 PM
i found the shader code for c3po... not exactly sure what it does. :sweat:

models/players/protocol/c3po_leg
{
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_leg
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_SRC_COLOR
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_leg_s
blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
detail
alphaGen lightingSpecular
}
}

models/players/protocol/c3po_hand
{
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_hand
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_hand_s
detail
}
}

models/players/protocol/c3po_face
{
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_face
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_face_glow
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
detail
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_face_s
detail
}
}

models/players/protocol/c3po_arm_torso
{
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_arm_torso
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_arm_torso_s
detail
}
}

models/players/protocol/c3po_leg2
{
qer_editorimage models/players/protocol/c3po_leg
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_leg2
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_leg_s
detail
}
}

models/players/protocol/c3po_hand2
{
qer_editorimage models/players/protocol/c3po_hand
surfaceparm metalsteps
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_hand2
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_hand_s
detail
}
}

models/players/protocol/c3po_face2
{
qer_editorimage models/players/protocol/c3po_face
surfaceparm metalsteps
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_face2
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_face_glow
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
detail
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_face_s
detail
}
}

models/players/protocol/c3po_arm_torso2
{
qer_editorimage models/players/protocol/c3po_arm_torso
surfaceparm metalsteps
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_arm_torso2
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_arm_torso_s
detail
}
}
07-22-2002, 5:33 PM
He has basically the same shiny shader as the stormtrooper model already, just FYI. I'll see if there is anything I can do to enhance it at all but I am pretty sure already. And once it's out people can always make skins.
 t3rr0r
07-22-2002, 5:38 PM
He has basically the same shiny shader as the stormtrooper model already, just FYI. I'll see if there is anything I can do to enhance it at all but I am pretty sure already. And once it's out people can always make skins.
that should be fine. there's no way we'd get the sheen he really has. and if there was, it would probably kill fps.
07-22-2002, 8:07 PM
Ok, here is an updated version. I took out the sounds for the protocol(silver) version and it fit on my site. So enjoy and send me that feedback.

http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/glm_4lom.zip)
Page: 2 of 4