Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: 4-Lom using the C-3P0 model

Page: 3 of 4
 t3rr0r
07-22-2002, 8:55 PM
they all turned out great. :D seems to play really well. what sounds will the protocol utilize?
/me hopes it's what the cloud city protocol says to threepio
 quamosity
07-22-2002, 9:32 PM
hey oddjob, theres something strange with this model. I dropped the pk3 into my base folder, and then when I went to play ffa_bespin, it removed the sky from the map. Turned it into a checkerboard deal thing. I don't know if its doing it for anyone else, but I got it.

I can post screenshots if you'd like.

I havent tried other levels yet, but I wanted to make sure if 4lom was causing the problem or not. And it seems like he is.

:(
 Cookz
07-22-2002, 9:58 PM
i have that same problem too. I think theres something wrong with one of the shader files.
 MaxiNeo
07-22-2002, 10:34 PM
Same problem here :(
 oddjob: A-Team
07-23-2002, 1:07 AM
Well, that's certainly likely as that's about as close to writing code or scripting as I would ever want to get. :p But it doesn't do it on my comp. And I test on bespin too. Hrm...

Perhaps try deleting some shader files and see which one fixes it? I would greatly appreciate any help I could get.
07-23-2002, 1:08 AM
Actually, come to think of it, it's probably some pak file you have but I, and apparently t3rr0r don't have. But you put both of them together and POW, bugs. Perhaps post a list of the added pk3 files you have? Dunno.
 quamosity
07-23-2002, 2:04 AM
I have so many files, a lot of them now neatly compiled into one giant pk3, that i would know where to start :(
 quamosity
07-23-2002, 2:13 AM
apparently, the problem arises from a map.

I removed my huge map pk3, and the problem was fixed.
Now its only a matter of finding out WHICH map gives the problem

Oddjob, do you have any extra maps you have downloaded? Same for the others, if the problem is with a map, perhaps we can locate what maps we all have

/me goes searching

-quamosity
 MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-23-2002, 2:18 AM
Oddjob, great job on the model, just one thing... For some reason, there are a lot of .wavs in there mixed in w/ the mp3s. Since the paths are different, couldn't you just make them all mp3s? It probably doesn't matter but it would make your download smaller :). Let me know if you need someone to convert them.
 quamosity
07-23-2002, 2:38 AM
i checked assets0.pk3 with my huge maps.pk3 and found that there was a repeating skies.shader. I deleted it from my maps.pk3, and that fixed it, but i couldnt figure out what map i downloaded had the shader in it. Anyone who has the problem, check to see in your downloaded map pk3s for the files skies.shader. Hopefully something will turn up
 Barco
07-23-2002, 3:34 AM
Well actually all you have to do is to copy the txt of three of shader files (one at the time) and paste them into one shader file and voila the problem is fixed.

Note: this may not work if you run a mod like jedimod.
 GabrielXen
07-23-2002, 10:00 AM
You really should write a tut on putting SP characters into MP.... I've been trying to get Threepio in-game for a month, and have been stuck on the last stage for half of that... lol I had the model made up and everything... Hell, I even made new threepio skins for the Jedi and Kyle models... lol Great job, man...!

-Gabriel-

:c3po:
07-23-2002, 10:53 AM
There really isn't much different from modeling one from scratch and importing one from the game actually. Spacermonkey's tutorial would do the job just fine. The only thing I could really add is how to export to a Max format from the original glm file using Milkshape.
 MaxiNeo
07-23-2002, 5:07 PM
Come to think of it. I Had the problem when I loaded Jedimod... The saber and consol and other textures and color were all screwed up. Think anyone can fix this?
 MaxiNeo
07-23-2002, 7:04 PM
:wstupid:
I figured out how to Make this work with Jedimod!:nut: All you have to do is delete the 4lom_head shader in the 4lom shader file and it works fine with jedimod! Hey Oddjob, You did a great Job on this. Hope to see more work from you soon... Hope Everyone Else enjoys this also.

:evil5: Peace! :cheers:
 Sounds Risky
07-23-2002, 7:40 PM
oddjob, do you think you could put the silver protocol and imperial protocol in another directory? It screws up the single player versions.
 MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-23-2002, 10:24 PM
Actually, the problem was a missing } at the end of the shader file:

4lom.shader should be :

models/players/4lom/head_off
{
cull disable
{
map models/players/4lom/head_off.TGA
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
depthWrite
alphaFunc GE128
}
}

models/players/4lom/4lom_head
{
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/4lom/4lom_head
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_SRC_COLOR
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/4lom/4lom_head_s
blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
detail
alphaGen lightingSpecular
}
 MaxiNeo
07-23-2002, 11:55 PM
Hey thanks.... Now I just feel stupid :p LOL... I really need to learn modeling and coding :joy:
07-24-2002, 2:11 AM
Wow, thanks for both of those suggestions/bug fixes! This is exactly why I like to give the few that bother to look at my thread a crack at my model while I am working on the LOD.

I will change both models to their own directory. I didn't even think about what it would do to the single player versions. But as far as the protocol droid goes, I was using some of the sounds in the assets pak so I wouldn't have to include them. Oh well. :)

Also thanks for finding that missing bracket. I will give that a try asap.

Thanks again.
 MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-24-2002, 6:02 AM
Hehe no problema. Gotta love Vi Editor's bracket matching (% key). Just one short criticism that I noticed after fixing that error. When 3PO falls into a pit, he uses a human scream. I think something like "We're doomed!" would be more appropriate, but that's just my opinion. I love custom sounds :-D. Let me know if you need help finding sounds, as I can get them from the movies if necessary.

Again, great job getting him in game. I had a nice FFA between C3PO, a huge Chewbacca, and a tiny Kyle. It was classic.
07-24-2002, 11:09 AM
Fixed that. I had his, and the rest of the models' falling sounds named wrong. It should be falling1 and I had them just called falling. Both the c3po's and the protocol droid's(now called TC-14 from Episode 1) sounds are meant for comic effect. So the sounds they make aren't always... appropriate for the situation if they were flesh and blood. :)
 nucular_jedi_14
07-24-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by MaxiNeo
:wstupid:
I figured out how to Make this work with Jedimod!:nut: All you have to do is delete the 4lom_head shader in the 4lom shader file and it works fine with jedimod! Hey Oddjob, You did a great Job on this. Hope to see more work from you soon... Hope Everyone Else enjoys this also.

:evil5: Peace! :cheers:

Ok how in the hell do i do that?
 MaxiNeo
07-24-2002, 11:38 AM
:nutz3: The Correct Way to do it would just be extract the pk3, go into shaders and open the 4lom shader with notepad and replace averything in there with

models/players/4lom/head_off
{
cull disable
{
map models/players/4lom/head_off.TGA
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
depthWrite
alphaFunc GE128
}
}

models/players/4lom/4lom_head
{
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/4lom/4lom_head
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_SRC_COLOR
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/4lom/4lom_head_s
blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
detail
alphaGen lightingSpecular
}

(thanks to MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA for this)

and the put it all back into the pk3.
If thats to hard then just extract the shader to glm_4lom/shaders/4lom.shader (somthing like that) and edit it like i said above with notepad and save it, then in the glm_flom directory where the shader folder is, put the pk3 file, right click the shaders directory, click add to zip file, then add to glm_4lom.pk3... :sweating: whew :tng1:

:thmbup1: then finally put the pk3 file back in your base folder.... or if you would like just open the pk3 file (with win rar), go into the shaders folder and go into the 4lom shader file and delete the 4lom_head shader.... Ok did you get all that :smash:

(your probably looking at this post like :eyeraise: )
:fire3: :clap2: :fire2:
 nucular_jedi_14
07-24-2002, 11:41 AM
can u do it then post the zip on the forums
 MaxiNeo
07-24-2002, 11:41 AM
I would if I had somewhere to upload it to :rolleyes:
 nucular_jedi_14
07-24-2002, 11:43 AM
or somethin
07-24-2002, 11:57 AM
How aobut this, I will upload my latest version and you can download that. It fixes that shader problem and a couple of other problems and converts all the wav's to mp3's.

In case you missed the link before, here it is again:

http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/glm_4lom.zip)

Oh, and if you are using the Jedimod size thing, all the droids should be the same size as Princess Leia. Nice and short.
 t3rr0r
07-24-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by oddjob: A-Team
Fixed that. I had his, and the rest of the models' falling sounds named wrong. It should be falling1 and I had them just called falling. Both the c3po's and the protocol droid's(now called TC-14 from Episode 1) sounds are meant for comic effect. So the sounds they make aren't always... appropriate for the situation if they were flesh and blood. :)
we need e-3po with a taunt that says "e chu ta." also, that zip doesn't seem to work.
 nucular_jedi_14
07-24-2002, 11:58 AM
thanks
07-24-2002, 12:16 PM
Well, there is a modified 'e chu ta' in there for the imperial droid. But unfortunately you can't use just a taunt, which sucks. And every version of it I have found out there has been of horrible sound quality. On top of that it doesn't match any of the other sounds that I am using, which is why I modified it to sound deeper. Belive me, that was my first thought but unless I get a copy of good enough sound quality that fits with the rest of the sounds, I probably won't put it in there.

Oh, and try downloading the file again. It works fine for me.
 Delmar
07-24-2002, 3:13 PM
e chu ta

HOW RUDE!
 MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-24-2002, 4:08 PM
Great job on the sounds, they're great. Thanks for updating the shader fix too, it was a pain trying to explain to my non-technical friends how to edit stuff in the pk3...

Just one thing (feel free to bash me over the head, flame me, deactivate my circuits, etc. for this), but it seems that all your JPGs and TGAs for the skin textures are really HUGE in filesize, (some are over 1MB even) when they really don't need to be that high-res. It really bumps the file size up there, and while that's not an issue for me, as I have enough disk space and broadband, it will make it so that 56K people think twice about downloading it. If you use a lesser resolution or use clever compression levels (I've heard rumors that both Brad-Fu and Kman are experts at this), you can really cut the file size down to something that even the 56K'ers will download.

Again, great job, and MTFBWY.
 Messy_Dwarf
07-25-2002, 9:55 PM
When I want to play guns, I play Action Half-life.

My only suggestion to you, noble Sir Oddjob is that you release this pack under the name of C3P0, as he is the biggest name character included. When someone does a search for 4lom, they will find this and other skins, but find nothing searching for Threepio, a bigger name than a bounty hunter-a main character for pete's sake.

Anyways, thanks for all the excellent work. Bring the handcannon over to jedi outcast. If anyone should do it...
 trowa500
07-25-2002, 11:31 PM
these guys are the best models ive ever used! 3po is hilarious!

________Projects_______
GP02A saber hilt 50%
 trowa500
07-26-2002, 12:27 AM
even though u didnt make the model u still put in the sounds which are the best part of 3po :)
07-26-2002, 1:19 AM
Well, the 4lom stuff is the only one really made by me. The rest are pretty much recolors or files from the assets pak. I will look into reducing the file size if I can though, thanks for the tip. I am glad you like the sounds. They make me chuckle as well. :)

Oh, and thanks to whoever gave me my thread back!
07-26-2002, 1:56 AM
Well, I have one LOD done and I am half-way through the next. It takes me about 4 hours to complete one LOD. And that's heavily distracted by my kids and such. I could be done in a couple of days and have it ready for final testing before release by Sunday. So stay tuned.
07-26-2002, 2:01 AM
Originally posted by Messy_Dwarf
When I want to play guns, I play Action Half-life.

My only suggestion to you, noble Sir Oddjob is that you release this pack under the name of C3P0, as he is the biggest name character included. When someone does a search for 4lom, they will find this and other skins, but find nothing searching for Threepio, a bigger name than a bounty hunter-a main character for pete's sake.

Anyways, thanks for all the excellent work. Bring the handcannon over to jedi outcast. If anyone should do it...

Heh, perhaps. Or perhaps I will just give permission to a worthy modeler.

Thanks for idea. I will probably call the zip/pack c3po_4lom. They both deserve billing. But you are right, C-3P0 Deservers top billing.
 Arбn
07-26-2002, 6:22 AM
CCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL MMMMMMMOOOOOODDDDDDEEEEEEEEELLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lsduel:
07-28-2002, 4:01 AM
One more LOD down, one to go. I should be able to post a finished glm to test by late tomorrow. And then finalize the pack and release it perhaps Mon. or Tue.
 trowa500
07-28-2002, 10:59 AM
WOW YODA AND 4LOM within a week this is the best week for jkii since it came out :cool: :):)
07-29-2002, 1:05 AM
Ok, here is what might be the final pak. Give it a try and see if there are any problems. If I don't hear of any then I will probably release it to the model site tomorrow night.

http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/c3po_4lom.zip)

Oh and for those of you unfamiliar with the project, here's the screenshot that is going in with the release:

http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/img/c3po_4lom.jpg)
 Kinja
07-29-2002, 2:42 AM
Holy crap I just saw this model for the first time and it kix major booty!
 adillon
07-29-2002, 8:41 AM
Ok, here is what might be the final pak. Give it a try and see if there are any problems.

oddjob,

i downloaded the droids and kicked some @$$ for the past hour. i'm VERY impressed with the quality of the work you have put out, not only with this set of models, but also with the boushh/leia pack. i couldn't really find any flaws with anything (sounds, clipping, etc) except for the fact that threepio was the hands-down, booty-smacking, king of the ring in the duels i had going on ... but that's just MY problem, not yours. lol

thanks for all your hard work and effort you've put into adding on to the jkII community.
07-29-2002, 11:49 AM
Oh, I almost forgot! Hey t3rr0r, what name/email should I put in the readme for the CTF skins you made? I left out the grey skin for now because the pak was pretty big already, but I need to update the readme with your info. Once I get that done I can officially release it.
 t3rr0r
07-29-2002, 12:12 PM
Oh, I almost forgot! Hey t3rr0r, what name/email should I put in the readme for the CTF skins you made? I left out the grey skin for now because the pak was pretty big already, but I need to update the readme with your info. Once I get that done I can officially release it.
you can put "jordan koski (t3rr0r)" for my name.

btw, i read at one of your sith rodian download locations that you couldn't turn off the vest. i dunno if you figured it out youreself yet, but all you should need to do is...

surfOff "hips_belt torso_vest"
surfOn "torso_augment_off"
07-29-2002, 2:49 PM
That wasn't me with the sith Rodian. Just FYI.
 Delmar
07-29-2002, 2:52 PM
oddjob, if you send it to me at del@reid.cx when it's complete, i'll place it on my site immediately. that way you won't have to worry about jk2.net waiting a week before posting it.
 t3rr0r
07-29-2002, 4:00 PM
That wasn't me with the sith Rodian. Just FYI.
doh, i got all confused when i saw a 4lom file and the names were the same. :o
/me feels silly :sweat:
07-30-2002, 11:53 PM
Well, I sent it out to a bunch of sites yesterday. I guess it will take a while to get out there.
Page: 3 of 4