Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Return of Mara Jade

Page: 2 of 12
 DarkLord_44
06-17-2002, 8:18 AM
Any updates?
 Darkhold X
06-19-2002, 11:40 PM
Every time someone even mentions making one of her it always just fades away.:(
 Harukaze
06-20-2002, 9:04 AM
Actually, Vesentac [sorry if I spelled the name wrong], I think he made perfect sense. The model author himself said he's making a difference in his mind between the two Maras, that the one in MotS is not really related to the books. Considering Kyle himself has no bearing on the books either, it's not hard to see what he means.

Which is exactly why I eventually plan to do a TC for some EU story, but that's WAY in the future. If I get hired for the JK TC, then I'll gain the experience I need for an EU-setting TC. I'm still too new to editing to even think of tackling that yet ; )

Perhaps, when you're done with this Mara, could you offer the different heads to other model authors who wish to take up the torch and give you credit? That way, an Emperor's Hand/Jedi Master Mara Jade model could be crafted, and be at least partially attributed to you.
 Sniper Wolf
06-20-2002, 9:55 AM
Holy balls man this is feckin' awesome!
You have made her hot (in an artistic perspective of course :o
She looks a lot more feminine then in the comics or on cover art. Excellent job!
 Klorel
06-20-2002, 10:09 AM
great model. but i STRONGLY suggest you model both, and have them as deselectable surfaces so skinners can choose to have either hair up or hair down. Jan already has a ponytail, but i say do both on your model and give skinners more of a variety. then you wont see the same thing over and over. there really isn't a normal female hair down model, but she also looks cool with hair up. that way you dont have to choose, just do both-thats the beauty of this game. good job, cant wait to see her skinned
 Altimira
06-20-2002, 10:10 AM
I agree with Klorel with you being able to choose which model (hair up and hair down).

Model looks great. cant wait to play as her.
 remark 666
06-20-2002, 10:48 AM
anymore model pix ?? :)

sorry bud, I didn't/don't have the time for a tutorial [****, ****, ****, ****] really sorry :(
 ReIIiK
06-20-2002, 2:00 PM
Hair down looks good, sets it apart from all the other female models.......wait theres only 1, in the game :p
 striderx2048
06-20-2002, 2:59 PM
3 default female models
jan, mon montha, tavion
 ReIIiK
06-20-2002, 3:02 PM
00ps forgot to count them, guess I don't think of Tavion as a woman, shes more of a SW skank, lol non of them have big hair tho like the Mara model.
 KMan
06-20-2002, 4:10 PM
Mara Jade is coming along rather nicely. Glad to hear that she is being mapped right now. Are you going to be doing the default skin for her or did you have someone else lined up for that already? If not, I would like to do the default skin.
 Nanodagiardino
06-20-2002, 4:41 PM
I think if you make the three hair versions as the CTF versions. (tail, unkept and normal) you could "hire" 3 good skinners and do the same thing Ches did for Maul. 3 alternate. That would turn this fantastic model into something superlative. Kman should definitely do one. But it's been a while I didn't see edward, or did I miss something?
 Edward Peretti
06-20-2002, 6:35 PM
Hey guys!

I'm still here :) I've been busy with work lately. What I could do is create ranges from hair up to hair down, to jacket on / off etc.
This would take longer, but the result would be nice. I'll have to look into the technical side of this later on.

If anyone can provide any insight on achieving this, please do. I remember striderx2048 mentioning something about surfaces. I'm guessing that's all in the NPC's right?

I'm currently setting mapping co-ordinates. I'll be working on the default skin, but if anyone wants to have a go at making a skin I'll see what I can do about an sdk.

btw - If anyone has heard of Edge Magazine, you can catch some of my work on the cover. The guy in the cap knealing in the middle of all the characters, is from the game I'm working on.

later!

Edd
 striderx2048
06-20-2002, 9:44 PM
the jan model is an example of the surfs thing
the "torso with vest" is a completely different body then just the "torso alone"
i.e. you have to turn off "torst with vest" then turn on "torso alone"
if you dont, get back a blank space

you theoritlly model under the jacket, but some clipping issues might occur

http://www.jediknightii.net/files/index.php?link=file&id=223)

get this file, it got the stuff on jan and the jedi2
 Artic Blade
06-21-2002, 11:47 AM
two things.

1. i didnt think that mara jade had a ponytail. i thought it was just pulled back and left.

2. pulling the thread up from page 2
 remark 666
06-21-2002, 1:47 PM
I heard of Edge, just haven't read it for a while :(

this is going to be so great, this model will be my fav female (this and that aayla one)
 KMan
06-21-2002, 4:49 PM
Just model it all the same, but have each hair style as a separate grouping, then, when the skinner goes to do the model and sets up the skin file, they would link it to the nodraw shader.
 Graphicsgod
06-22-2002, 12:13 AM
As long as she looks like the one from MOTS, I'll be a happy man. I didn't quite care for all the "expanded universe" ver.s that are out there.

And I would also like to say, I hope I can get a chance to skin her ;). Been wanting to do a MOTS Mara Jade skin for a while, just haven't gotten around to it.
 Droidekas
06-22-2002, 7:32 AM
I hate the CTF version that only change color. It would be so nice to have a variation in each CTF char. Dunno it adds something that the game is missing, some depth, some variation. Don't forget some custom taunts and sounds! I'm sick of hearing tavion and jan.
 Darkhold X
06-22-2002, 11:01 AM
I have a good taunt for mara that was from masters that I use for my mara skin. She says never underestimate my power.:)
 remark 666
06-22-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Darkhold X
I have a good taunt for mara that was from masters that I use for my mara skin. She says never underestimate my power.:)

that would be a sweet taunt
 Edward Peretti
06-22-2002, 8:07 PM
Heya,

Modeling the body underneath the coat at the moment. Does anybody know if you can add extra bones to the skeleton? I'm still thinking of ways to make the hair move a little more radicaly.

Also does anybody know why you can't view peoples custom models in the model viewer?

cheers for pointing out that file btw, striderx2048.

later

Edd
 Edward Peretti
06-22-2002, 8:51 PM
I've also added a new image in the WIP page at
http://eperetti.tripod.com/workinprogress.html)

I use the Jan model as a proportion reference.

Edd
 striderx2048
06-22-2002, 10:45 PM
unzip it in the base directory with the correct directory structure?
ask the guys who did the aalya model, they got the lekku to move somewhat
 morphius_doh
06-22-2002, 11:20 PM
Does the model, with her hair in a pony tail, have a different suit or is it just the angles that make it look that way?

On a side note....I'd release just the model without the hair pulled back, coz there are too many models out with the hair pulled back.
 Edward Peretti
06-23-2002, 1:12 AM
striderx2048: cheers. I can view them now. I think the lekku is boned to certain areas of the body, so I'll try that.

morphius_doh: The model is what's underneath the suit. There will be variations of the player.
 morphius_doh
06-24-2002, 6:10 AM
I see. just paint "Stupid" on my forehead. lol

Can't wait to see more screenshots.
 remark 666
06-24-2002, 6:50 AM
yeah man, more screens :D
 ronbrothers
06-24-2002, 9:06 AM
Your model is coming along very nicely! Can't wait to see this released.
 Darkhold X
06-24-2002, 11:55 AM
Hooray a hip holster!:)

Any chances of the knee pads to make a complete ensemble?:)
http://www.starwars.jediknights.co.uk/Characters/Mara.jpg)
I am sooooo going to be making a skin for her like that.:)
 The Rel)ee(V)eR
06-24-2002, 12:31 PM
Hey Edward...it's coming along EXTREMELY well, but I was wondering if you were going to ditch the long flowy hair style? Cause i LOVED that...:-(
 Edward Peretti
06-24-2002, 8:39 PM
she's still got the long hair, gonna work on it tonight. She has knee pads, though they're not that visible, but the shape's still intact.

computer crashed last night. Nearly lost everything :eek:
 ronbrothers
06-24-2002, 9:04 PM
Oh brother! And I know that feeling so well when you think you've lost work that you've slaved over for weeks and the find that through some miracle, you saved it by the skin of your teeth!
 morphius_doh
06-24-2002, 9:28 PM
Thank God you still have all the files!! Speaking of skin, when do you expect to be able to show us a rough draft of the skinned model?

No rush, just curious.
 Edward Peretti
06-24-2002, 10:45 PM
Yeah, stress levels were rising! The problem was a corrupt or missing file in the system config. preventing my OS from starting. The only way I could think of fixing it was to re-install windows again. So whilst I could have been working on mara, I spent the whole day re-installing everything I had on my system :\

expect more updates soon :)
 morphius_doh
06-24-2002, 10:54 PM
That blows! I hope you didn't have too many programs to re-install on top of re-installing the OS.

BTW, What version of Windows are you using?
 morphius_doh
06-28-2002, 12:55 AM
Anything new to report?
 Klorel
06-28-2002, 6:28 AM
will the knee pads be surfaces that can turn off as well? cause i'm sure people aren't going to want all the skins to have knee pads. its the same deal as Jans glove, theres no way around it, but it would be great if your model was a different story. I say on your model, all the extra "assories" should be deselctable surfaces. There would be sooo many different combinations, we'd probably never have to see another jan or tavion re-skin again. great work on the model too, looks 100 times better than the jan model.
 Edward Peretti
06-28-2002, 9:21 PM
...windows 2000 :)

I've put mara on hold for a bit, but I plan to go back to her this weekend. I'll see what I can do about the kneepads.

later,

Edd
 EmperorJello
07-03-2002, 2:47 PM
Try this... it's the latest picture of Mara Jade, from the essential guide to characters.

http://www.geocities.com/grandadmiraljello/mara.bmp)

It's a geocities image, so copy paste the link.

Also... my image editor is a bit wacky, so I couldn't make the .bmp into a .jpg

In any case, see it... it'll be helpful.
 t3rr0r
07-03-2002, 7:32 PM
Originally posted by EmperorJello
Try this... it's the latest picture of Mara Jade, from the essential guide to characters.

http://www.geocities.com/grandadmiraljello/mara.bmp)

It's a geocities image, so copy paste the link.

Also... my image editor is a bit wacky, so I couldn't make the .bmp into a .jpg

In any case, see it... it'll be helpful.
the link is dead.
 Bucke
07-04-2002, 5:46 AM
Originally posted by Edward Peretti
she's still got the long hair, gonna work on it tonight. She has knee pads, though they're not that visible, but the shape's still intact.

computer crashed last night. Nearly lost everything :eek:
great model
i think you should have the hair long but flat - as oppossed to big80s style.
It would be great if you had loads of surfaces like jackets etc
that you could turn off using surf files-so that skinners could use her as a base model
 EmperorJello
07-04-2002, 5:57 AM
Ehh... let's see

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=55886)

Try that... It's not a direct link, but you'll see Mara instantly.
 Edward Peretti
07-05-2002, 5:25 AM
Thanks EmperorJello, that's a cool pic and a useful piece of reference.

I've started to paint the body skin to which I'll add the clothes over

*Nudity!* http://eperetti.tripod.com/workinprogress.html)

I haven't had much free time to work on her. But she is progessing ( slowely :\ )
 t3rr0r
07-05-2002, 5:55 AM
looking good. :D
/me hopes one of the skins is the negtc version
 BradFu
07-05-2002, 6:12 AM
Wow, looking good, Ed! Can't wait till it's done :) To repeat an often asked question, will you be throwing in some extra surfaces for customization purposes? :) I'd love to see some Tabards and belt on her so she can be a prequel-era Jedi :D It'll be cool to have a good female model to base skins on :D
 Altimira
07-05-2002, 7:24 AM
Nice work Ed.
 kenad
07-05-2002, 6:07 PM
She looks strangely manga-ish in that nudo photo.

Does she actually have um... nipple bumps?

:naughty:
 darthweaver
07-07-2002, 4:10 AM
i think once this amazing looking model is done someone should make a leia, i have seen some one, rather blank leia skin but skinning this curvy model into a leia would be really good.

mara jade rocks so i am pleased to see this great model being made of her, looks amazing, keep us updated ed
 morphius_doh
07-07-2002, 7:53 AM
Awsome work! I can't wait to see what the face will look like when you start painting it.
Page: 2 of 12