Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Trooper and Repeater Trooper. Seperate units?

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Windu
06-07-2002, 12:58 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while, and i thought i would bring it to the attention of the board. Should the trooper/Heavy Trooper be a seperate unit from the repeater trooper? The reason i say this is-
-Repeater trooper has to set-up gun to fire
-In modern armies, heavy machine gun infantry are seperate to normal infantry (hvy machine gunners support GI's)
and that the differences should be-
-repeater trooper more expensive, slower, less armour/hitpoints, but faster rate of fire and more powerful then standard troops, also, possible minimum range for repeater trooper.
Thoughts?
 WarteX
06-07-2002, 1:06 PM
I agree, but the normal troopers should still have a t4 upgrade (+1 hp, +1 attack,etc)

It bothers me that the confeds troopers use a reapter "cannon" when they have repeaters on their hands in episode 2

I hope u c this garry ;)
 darthfergie
06-07-2002, 1:26 PM
Yeah I'm definatly agreed on this. I thought the same when the original GB came out. I mean you don't see many clone trooper carring mounted repeaters much, yet once at tech 4 every one of your Infantry carries it. Annoying really.
 xwing guy
06-07-2002, 3:07 PM
I agree I think they should be seprate units as well cause it just don't seem right when all your troops are carrying around a e-web repeater in T4.
 Darth Windu
06-09-2002, 1:13 AM
Justing keeping the thread fresh, and please post your views people, i know there are more than 3 members here!
 Gaming Nut
06-09-2002, 2:10 AM
I also thought that long ago but got over it.
 J-5
06-09-2002, 10:52 AM
Is this change purely cosmetic? What could troopers do that repeaters couldn't do better and visa versa?
 WarteX
06-09-2002, 11:13 AM
I think that gungan troopers throw abit way too fast.

The confeds repeater cannons look so damn ugly. In episode 2 the super battle droids wrist blaster shoots as fast as a repeater.

That could b a cool advantage for the confed. Always repeaters, but they would cost more.
 Gaming Nut
06-09-2002, 2:17 PM
I don't think that the driods where firing near as fast as a repeater which is basicly laser mahcine guns and so would put out a strem of consant fire.

I would make repeaters have 30 to 40 hit pionts and fire as fast as now troopers on the other hand would stop at Hvys. but would have better armor and a higher attack. The repeater troopers would have 5 to 6 range by defulat but only like 3 or 4 damage some civs might get an upgragde so they carry a sheild. The unit would be farily slow about old AA trooper speed maybe slower it also couldn't get speed upgrades. it would cost about what a mountied trooper cost maybe more food maybe more nova it depends. It's propose would be to sit behind a line of troopers firing at enemy troopers from beyond their range they'd also be pretty good on defense. I don't know if it can be done but I think two guys as one repeater would like best. if not maybe make him drag it on a hover seld as he walks.
 AU_Andy_Ewok
06-09-2002, 2:26 PM
Why build heavy Troopers when you have reapeater troopers?

:deathii: :deathstar
 Gaming Nut
06-09-2002, 2:29 PM
Casue infantry don't walk around with Mahcine guns. :|
 WarteX
06-09-2002, 4:04 PM
DROIDS SHOULD NOT COST FOOD! I hope u c this lucasarts.

y do droids need food?
 Treacherous Mercenary
06-09-2002, 9:08 PM
I see what your saying, but it doesn't matter. Also, if you play AOK, you will see they need to cost food. As Troopers and Repeaters, the Troopers would be obsolete unless you do what GN suggested and they wouldn't be obsolete. Although it's too late to make changes to this game, it would have been nice :(. At least I can hope they go with the new ES engine and make it a whole lot better and unique for once with at least six Civs....
 Darth Windu
06-10-2002, 7:53 AM
J-5 - for the proposed differences, read my original post. The changes would make the Repeater Trooper and Heavy trooper significantly different, and would change the game so that the Hvy Trooper would be the main infantry unit, with repeaters in a supporting role.
 Koenig
06-10-2002, 8:22 AM
Food is just a catch all term, Droids use different food to humans, as to wookiees.
 Gaming Nut
06-10-2002, 7:31 PM
And something eles Id make grenade troopers get a nice bonus on them since grenades and motars are conuters to MG nests.
 Sithmaster_821
06-10-2002, 8:09 PM
Good idea realistically but why?

If you have repeaters then that is what every one will build and the heavy troopers will go out of favor. Personally i like heavy troops upgrading into repeaters cause once i hit t4 i have a mean green repeating machine that automatically replaces my troops that are either fighting a foward builder or camped outside the enemy. It seems like it was an idea that made sense and was fudged until it fit into the gameplay and usually games happen the other way around.
 Gaming Nut
06-11-2002, 3:19 AM
Not if they where diffrent if repeaters as I had them sucked on buildings but heavies got a slight bonus to them. Or maybe reapters are good on mechs not grenade or MD good but beter then a heavy trooper good. But weak as hell on heavy weapons with hvy troopers again getting a slight edge on them their'd be reason to have both.

Also reapters would cost more then hvy troopers like 50 food 10 nova and so they become support for an army of Hvy troopers.
 MM-86
06-11-2002, 7:48 AM
I agree about that repeater and heavy trooper should be separate.
 jlp_89
06-11-2002, 11:29 PM
i agree mm86 heavy troopers have more atack but repeater has rapid fire so they would make a kick a$$ combo
 Acharjay
06-12-2002, 1:53 AM
I agree that the Hvy and Repeaters should be seperate. You should have to research the Repeaters, but still build them seperately, at a higher cost.
 nelapsi
06-12-2002, 3:08 PM
Not to be the one dissenting voice in this thread, but...

I have no problem with repeater troopers being the upgrade to heavy troopers... while the realism of it may not be all there, this IS Star Wars which in and of itself isn't reality.

If you were going to do it though, you'd have to make it so they each specialized. ie Heavy troopers being good against mechs and heavy weapons while having repeater troopers being mainly good in an anti-infantry role.

I know some of you may not agree, but that's my opinion of the whole thing. I think the development team did a great job with what they were given in filling in the blank spots.

Peace Out...
 Darth Windu
06-13-2002, 12:09 PM
nel - but where in any of the star wars movies do you se einfantry carrying around bulky machine guns with them? You're idea would work, with the repeater trooper being more effective against infantry, but i would also want them to be quite weak to off-set their benefit compared to heavy troops.
 nelapsi
06-13-2002, 12:17 PM
Darth Windu, I guess you're right...

The only argument I'm making is that they would have to be worth researching. Say, make a 'repeater technology' troop center research to be able to build them in T3 with a rate of fire increase in T4 and then give the heavy troopers a mech/heavy weapon damage increase in T4... that's all I'm saying... make them more separable. Having the repeater trooper as a weak support unit for heavy troopers would make no one want to research or build them. Just a thought, though...

Peace Out...
 Darth Windu
06-14-2002, 12:46 PM
what i mean by having them as a support unit is that the repeaters would support hvy troops, just as grenade troops support standard troopers now, they would make up for a weakness in the hvy trooper, for example the repeater trooper could be stronger vs buildings and have a faster rate of fire than the hvy trooper (and so be better vs troops) but have less hitpoints and armour as well as being more expesnive and make it so that they have to be researched.
 jedi3112
06-17-2002, 8:02 PM
I'd also say they should be seperate, make the repeater only usefull against other infantry, make the normal troopers all around units. I also had this topic up on dev.forum battleground improvements.
 Natopo
06-17-2002, 9:27 PM
Well, what we could do is take out the Repeater upgrade and make the Repeater a whole new unit while giving infantry their final stage, an Adv. Trooper. They would be heavily armed and could pack a punch in large numbers. The repeater trooper ideas I agree with, but I'd like having to be able to still have a T4 strong trooper without a repeater!
 lionsault9
06-18-2002, 2:29 PM
yeah i agree with all of you. in e2 i only saw confed droids carrying repeater on their hand and i never even saw a clone trooper carring a repeater even if they do they should at least spend some time setting it up.
 nelapsi
06-19-2002, 12:38 AM
I just thought of an awesome compromise...

Instead of an upgrade (as is) or a separate unit (as proposed in this thread) create an ability that can be researched in T4 that is "Repeater Mode" or something like that. This way you could or could not have a separate Adv. Trooper T4 upgrade (as has been proposed) depending on what you think. But the Repeater Mode ability would make it so that by clicking on an option on the heavy/adv. trooper he would dig in and whip out a repeater gun (ie current repeater upgrade). But, in this mode he couldn't move, only fire. But, when not on repeater mode, he could still move around and fire like a normal heavy/adv. trooper. Best of both worlds... The dig in/out time would be short (think seconds). Basically think GI from C&C:RA2. Lemme know what you guys think...

Peace Out...
 nelapsi
06-19-2002, 3:34 AM
So nobody has an opinion on this???
 Treacherous Mercenary
06-19-2002, 9:26 AM
I don't know. It seems like there would be some micromanagement involved and having two units makes some strategy. I also propose amking the art of the heavy trooper better than what it is now if they where to become seperate. As for Heavy trooper getting a bonus on mechs, it would make the mechs pointless unless you give just a slight bonus that is. Knowing Lucas Arts, they have problably abandoned the game or are making a patch and will abandon afterwords.
 Natopo
06-19-2002, 4:20 PM
I like Nelapsi's idea. It combines all our ideas and it's still balanced! What do you guys think?
 Darth Windu
06-21-2002, 12:45 PM
nel - excellent idea, congradulations. Actually, this had been very successfully implemented in 'Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2' where the allied GI can walk around and fire like normal, but then you can 'deploy' him and the GI gets slighly increased armour (think sandbags) and a higher attack/rate of fire/range but cant move. Of course the disadvantages here is that against artillery their toast (coz they cant run away) but also in RA2 tanks can crush infantry. But still, i think this would work terrifically in GB.
 Darth Windu
06-25-2002, 2:30 PM
Just keeping the thread fresh.
 Koenig
06-26-2002, 6:20 PM
Its a nice idea, I never have armies of Repeater troopers in missions that I make. AOk never did anything too much like, this, ie having Bowmen suddenly carrying and firing a huge crossbow
 jcb231
07-01-2002, 9:15 AM
Yes.
I would love to have stronger, but slower repeater troops "dig in" and support a rush of regular troops.....for that matter, I'd also love to give troops the ability to make trenches for drawn out battles.
 Diversion
07-17-2002, 7:16 AM
The repeater shouldn't be weaker than the heavy in any respect. Think of it as Repeater=M60 Machine gun and Heavy trooper=M16 rifleman.

The repeater should also have longer range than the heavy. They should be used to supress the enemy while the heavies advance. However they should be expensive and slow moving and there should be a couple of seconds to get ready(ESB in the hangar).

Maybe the game could be made so only a certain percent of your troopers can be repeater, say 10%

But I still think it should be a separate unit.
 eizo131
07-18-2002, 2:14 AM
I think I am late but in The Battle of hoth some snowtroopers had repeaters:atat:
Page: 1 of 1