Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Sidious\Palpatine very early model

Page: 3 of 5
 nomad
06-22-2002, 6:19 AM
Central Jersey? Definately GO!
The exhibit ends July 7th and it's $10.
I thought I was fine since I had a digiatl camera, but instead of running out of film, I ran out of batteries >:(
The cloth is really grainy, kind of like long-john material. While I was looking (in awe) at The Emperor's Robes I was thinking about the model you're making and wondering wether Toonces would like to check this out. I'm really glad you're concerned with making all these things right with the model. This is my most desired character model and it seems like you're going to do it the way I would have imagined doing it.
I'm starting to learn about editing stuff in this game myself. I decided to make a bot for a Han Solo skin that I downloaded, and right now I'm trying to give him custom sounds. Unfortunately I can't get the sounds to work and at this point I honestly do not know what I've done wrong. After I learn how to do that (simple) stuff, I'm going to give a go at model making. I am an artist, but I have no idea how I'll do with 3dsmax.
Keep up the good work, it is looking great.

You will go to the Exhibit. The Emperor has forseen it.

-nomad
 inbredyokel
06-22-2002, 6:40 AM
Almost perfect..but I think the nose/mouth is looking just a little bit off. In pictures the nose is much fatter around the bridge, and the tip is more round and knobby-looking(but that's more of a model issue). Also, the mouth looks a bit too pronounced, almost like he's holding an orange in the front of his mouth. It think the innermost cheek creases might be a little too far from the mouth. He just doesn't have that evil Mr. Rogers smirk. :D
Its kind of hard to put my finger on..but a good idea that someone tried in the Padme thread when the face wasn't looking right was to take a screenshot of the skinned face from the same angle as an actual photo(like the high res one I posted). Then, on the photo, draw straight lines marking the sides and top of the nose, mouth, eyes, cheeks, chin, and any other pronounced creases or features, and apply those same lines to the screenshot of your model and see how everything lines up.
Most of this stuff is just little nitpicks, but I'm guessing that after putting so much work into this model you want to make it as perfect as humanly possible, so this will be the only sidious/palpatine model and skin anyone will ever look for.

I foresee this becoming the greatest of all models... :emperor:
 Rory_Vetack
06-22-2002, 7:10 AM
That looks great Toonces, it may be just me, but are his eyes a little more red? i havent seen the movie in awhile so im nolt very sure myself, other than that it looks great.....
 SithBrakiss
06-22-2002, 7:31 AM
Nah...i watched ROTJ..they have more of a Greenish/Yellow tint
 Toonces
06-22-2002, 8:20 AM
The eye texture isn't quite finished yet, but the eyes are definatly yellow, I'm going to make the eyes a little more bloodshot, it should give a more convincing look

Inbredyokel, that perspective trick is a good idea, I'll give it a shot and see what I can get. :) That'll help with the mouth

I haven't really detailed the noze just yet, I beleive the part at the tip your noticeing is mostly the skin, the bridge however might be a diffrent story, I'll flatten it out a bit and see what happens :D

More to come :D
CT :lightning
 EmperorJello
06-22-2002, 10:21 AM
I've actually heard that the sun may be made of a type of broccoli.
It has some similar moleculer make-up within it's protien structure and the photon pattern of certain light waves tastes very good with cheese which has led to some scientists hypothesizing that the sun may in fact be made of some form of green vegetable and most probably a distant relative of broccoli. So, you'll be happy to know, that by eating a minimum of 2 grams of sun each day, a person's chances of getting cancer is reduced immeasurably.
Er, at least that's what I read on the internet.

Nomad, any protein on the sun would be immediately denatured once it got withing a few tenths of an astronomical unit. Also, broccoli are made of primarily cellulose and a bit of glucose, not protein.

Also, photons don't have discernible patterns, nor do they travel in any structure that would have a recognizable structure.

Before you ask, I was aware that you were speaking in jest but I chose to educate you.
 SithBrakiss
06-22-2002, 10:59 AM
ooooooooooooooh......jello went to college,huh?
anyways.....that lil Broach thing looks cool....i wonder how you will get that on him in the right spot?
 gholam
06-23-2002, 3:02 AM
Im adding a post to keep it towards the top, cant wait until the emperor comes out because none of the skins give him justice like this model will. Looks great!

-Gholam-
 EmperorJello
06-23-2002, 6:43 AM
No, I haven't yet gone to college. I'm just a learned fellow.

[hr]

Anyways, I can't seem to see the WIP screenshot. Is something wrong with the page?

[hr]

Oh, and a little bit on indesputable evidence that Sidious=Palpatine....

They wear the same clasp on their hood.

They also walk the same. In TPM, Sidious walks on Coruscant with his hands held in front of him a certain way... when Palpatine walks with Anakin in AOTC, he walks the same way. In ROTJ, he also walks with Vader the same way.
 Toonces
06-23-2002, 6:50 AM
Hmm, the links work fine for me, go to www.boomspeed.com/toonces) They are on the main page, just scroll down a bit.

Might as well add a little update while I'm here :D

I'm weighting the mesh right now, gonna check out how he deforms and such. I've pulled the hood out front a bit more, as well as bunched it up a tiny bit over the shoulders. The body looks much better now, I'll post another shot soon to show the changes :D

EmperorJello
06-23-2002, 7:09 AM
Ah, I got it now. Thanks.
 Dalhectar
06-23-2002, 7:25 AM
The Model looks great so far, however i think the arms on the cloak need to be draped down alot more like this:

http://www.maulrats.com/Darth%20Sidious.jpg)
 Toonces
06-23-2002, 8:32 AM
Thanks Dalhectar :D

scroll back a page and check out one of my earlier shots. I have to model the sleeves backwards because of the skeleton, the actual sleeves are really long and baggy. As soon as I'm finished weighting I'll put him in a pose where you can see them well. They should look quite good ingame :)

Back to weighting :(

Dalhectar
06-23-2002, 11:16 AM
Anytime, Also have you thought about adding some shadows under the hood. It might be a good effect. Just a thought
 Toonces
06-23-2002, 12:32 PM
I'm definatly going to darken the sides and top of his face and head to get that effect, as well as add a very dark texture to the inside of the hood. I can't texture anything but the face until I get him weighted, I'm a little stuck on that now sadly :( I'll work it out though :D

Kridifur
06-23-2002, 3:34 PM
Still looking great Toonces, can't wait. Just wanted to bump this up near the top again, and for the 2nd time address the Sidious/Palpatine issue. READ THE BOOKS or VISIT FAN SITES. Palpatine is indeed Sidious, let me guess what's next: There's only 6 episodes of Star Wars right? (For those that don't know, there are 9).
Well, I vented; keep up the good work Toonces.
 Klorel
06-24-2002, 2:27 AM
great work, something about his face still doesn't strike me as Ian McDarmid (or however you spell it). Cant quite put my finger on it, think maybe the area between the lip and nose is off somehow.

Still unsure though, who knows, theres some twist coming up, maybe its not the emperor/palpatine controversy, maybe the emperor is related to someone or something. but it has to do with the emperor, whatever lucas' sick twist is. and thats right, 9 episodes. hope Digital Technology gets better so they wont need the real actors in the last 3 movies so they can reproduce the old actors. I want them to make all 9, but if you've seen Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher lately, you know thats not happening any time soon :p --the funny thing is, McDairmid looks like he hasnt aged a day.
 BradFu
06-24-2002, 3:05 AM
Actually, sorry to burst your bubble, but there won't be 9 movies. That was Lucas' original plan, but he has stated repeatedly over the past several years that Episode 3 will be the last Star Wars movie, period. His current vision is that the Star Wars movie saga is the story of the downfall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

Maybe his plans will change in the future for 3 more movies, but for now, don't count on it.

And to stay on topic--- Toonces, that face looks VERY good! I can't wait to see this finished, I can tell it's going to be a great model!
 EmperorJello
06-24-2002, 3:07 AM
There aren't 9. That whole storyline was scrapped around ROTJ. 7 was originally about Luke becoming a Jedi. 8 was about Luke going to the Dark Side. 9 was the first appearance of the Emperor.

That was all changed when he made ROTJ, and Lucas has no plans to make any further episodes.
 fett_jamaika
06-24-2002, 3:16 AM
Mhhh i don't think its realy good. but for a hobby-modeler its quite good
 SirYawnalot
06-24-2002, 4:29 AM
That's because it hasn't been skinned yet. For an unskinned model, it's very good indeed. Think before you criticise, please.
 PnutJedi
06-24-2002, 4:41 AM
Great work Toonces.

This is off subject, but aren't you people pissed that you only use one hand while doing force lightning. I always thought force lightning would kick ass with 2 hands :)...Bah..just my bum tastes..
 Toonces
06-24-2002, 10:20 AM
Yeah, that would be nice :D Who knows, maby down the road we'll be able to add that animation to the game. While I have access to a copy of Softimage, and a pretty good understanding of how to animate in Max, we have to wait for Raven to start talking to us about animation first.

It looks like Sithlord-ii solved my problems, I was having trouble with the skin modifier, I think I've got it now. Thanks again Sith :D

Anyway, I'm going to put the finishing touches on the model in the next couple days, then all that's left to do it UVmap and Weight, and the in-game testing will begin :)

Need zzz's badly

www.drivingcatstudios.com)
 CheshireKat
06-24-2002, 11:35 AM
Can you post a flat shaded render? It'd be easier to see whats goin on that way.
 Madjai
06-24-2002, 11:39 AM
you should give him the expression he makes when using lightning, like the darth maul model has the expression when hes fighting, right now he looks kinda sad (the emotion, the model kicks ass!)
 EmperorJello
06-24-2002, 1:45 PM
Yes, double-handed lightning is certainly more menacing.
 Toonces
06-25-2002, 2:06 AM
Sure Chesire, I beleive this is what you want :)

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how he's coming out, the only problem I have is with the torso area, but perhaps I should see what I can do with the skin. Other than that I just have some minor tweaks to do before I uvmap the rest of him and begin weighting

http://drivingcatstudios.com/flatfront.jpg)
http://drivingcatstudios.com/flatsideperspective.jpg)

Vindicator
06-25-2002, 2:12 AM
Toonces, that rocks! Keep it up, you're doing great man!
 Dalhectar
06-25-2002, 4:53 AM
Still lookin good :) keep it up! Have you considered adding a rope or belt around his waist just for contrast between the lower and upper body. Also there seem to be some hard lines where the arms and torso connect, is there a way you can soften those (actually that might be solved when the skin is added but im not sure).

:lightning
 Darth Patronus
06-25-2002, 4:56 AM
:D :D Looks great!!!!
 Toonces
06-25-2002, 7:47 AM
Thanks guys :D

I wen't back and actually found a I had accidently snapped the wrong vert to the torso (from the waist) so that line at the waist is pretty much gone. As for the arms, I'm going to wait until I map the arms/torso before I mess with thoes lines, I think the skin will do the trick, but if not I shouldnt have a hard time getting rid of them

As for the belt, there definatly be a belt on the inside layer of his robe, I noticed that there was one there last week when I was going through RtoJ looking for sounds. I really love getting little details like that :) Right now I'm just trying to finish up the torso, to get as much of a flowing look as I can get before I skin it

Gettin Psyced :D
 nomad
06-25-2002, 10:00 AM
Heheheheh...
Excellent, Lord Toonces.
Everything is going as planned.

Are you going to take a day off to go to the Star Wars Magic Of Myth Exhibit?

You deserve the reward :lighting

Have you gotten some good sounds?
I'm going through Empire tonight to try and grab some ESB-Luke sounds.
I also plan to go through Jedi, because I've given Luke some new sounds, and I'd like to add to it.

-nomad
 CheshireKat
06-25-2002, 10:26 AM
Toonces, flat shaded means no smoothing. Like it looks in the viewport, but rendered. Just add smooth to the stack click autosmooth then uncheck it and render while smooth is selected in the stack.

That way we can get a better idea of how the model is built.

Keep it up!
 Toonces
06-25-2002, 10:39 AM
Nah, no day off yet Nomad, but I'm going to definatly make time in the next week or so to do so :)

I haven't recorded anything yet for him, I just watched certian parts and took mental notes. I havent decided on any taunts yet, but thoes shouldnt be too hard to do. The grunts and groans will be a little tougher

Luke could definatly use diffrent sounds, the "I want you to let go of your anger" seems a little too timid for Luke

Cheshire, my bad, I wasn't quite sure what you wanted, I'll render some shots like that now

Getting sleepy again :o

Toonces
06-25-2002, 10:45 AM
 SirYawnalot
06-25-2002, 2:23 PM
Oh man those shots make it look even better than the ones you posted earlier!!! amazing!!! *sighs and lies back content that this is one model being done well*
 nomad
06-26-2002, 3:48 AM
Love the work you're doing!

I have a ROTJ Luke skin (gives him one glove, black belt) that someone else made, but I gave him:
"I'll never turn to the darkside. I am a Jedi Knight, like my father before me."

I took out "you have failed your highness" from the middle of the line.
The skin also came without a BOT, so I've attempted to add that feature, but I'm having a problem. There is some kind of conflict between Raven's Luke and the new skin. Luke-rotj as a BOT comes out like Kyle. I haven't figured out what I've done wrong yet. I do have it working so that YOU can use him without a flaw, but for a BOT opponent, you have to use the original Luke.

There are SO many great lines for the Emperor. Hard to choose from for only ONE taunt.

-nomad
 Toonces
06-26-2002, 10:44 AM
heh, sounds pretty cool Nomad, It'll be cool to hear the new sounds. :)

I was really busy today so I didnt have alot of time to work on Palp, I did have a little fun with max and made this

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/newrobe.jpg)

I'm intrested to see what you guys think about it, I might start a new charecter based on it, or adjust it to fit around the Emperor. I think it might make a better robe for him. Let me know what you guys think :D

Sounds Risky
06-26-2002, 12:03 PM
I would say use it for the current Palpatine, it looks more accurate to me.
 Jango_Fett91
06-26-2002, 1:55 PM
I find this model kinda weird. Neithier of The peaple used lightsabers and a force attack. (Except for the one in ROTJ) But Great Work Anyway!:)
 Pedantic
06-26-2002, 2:15 PM
That's a great face! I almost didn't realize it wasn't skinned! :D
 nomad
06-27-2002, 3:22 AM
It's a tough call Toonces.
The new robe looks great, but I don't have any problems with the original one either. The texture and skinning will make all the difference. Really it's something probably only you can answer, but I know sometimes you have to ask out loud.

It also depends on how easily you can swap cloaks.

Did you start this model based around the root.xsi?

-nomad

Toonces
06-27-2002, 5:59 AM
I've spent a few hours putting the cloak on him today, I'll post a pic in a little while with the results. I really liked the old robe too, I just wanted it to look a little more solid, more flowing :D

Yeah, it's definatly a tough call, and yes Nomad, I started the model around the root.xsi, but I've completely replaced every part minus the hands. Using that as my initial template was a great learning experence, I learn well visually and through trial and error.

Edit: (Figured this didnt warrent a new post)

Ok, It doesnt look that much diffrent than it did before, but I think I'm happy with the torso now. The sleeves and hood and torso from various angles appear to be one solid peice of fabric now with some overlaping.

http://drivingcatstudios.com/flowrobe.jpg)

A few minor tweaks and I'll declair the model final, and begin to skin and weight the mesh :D

gholam
06-27-2002, 9:07 AM
lookin great man
 BradFu
06-27-2002, 9:25 AM
Looks good, Toonces. Only one bit of criticism - he's about 2 feet too tall. If you're going for Prequel-era Palpatine, he's probably only about 1 foot too tall, but by ROTJ, he's hunched down even more. Either way, though, too tall :) Otherwise, looking really good, especially the face!
 BradFu
06-27-2002, 9:36 AM
Something like this:

http://windu.cjb.net/flowrobeschopped.jpg)

Chopped a bunch from the bottom of the robe, and brought the arms up.
 JiPInSane
06-27-2002, 9:43 AM
Wow this one keeps looking better and better. Great Job :D
 Klorel
06-27-2002, 11:29 AM
I agree with brad fu, too tall. "we are the knights who say.... NI!" lol. Great work on the new cloak and face, this looks incredible. remember that there really isnt much if any color in the face, just the eyes. and I think the cloak is either crazy-dark blue, or black, i know this is just to show us the model, just thinking out loud i guess-- or online i suppose :o .
 nomad
06-27-2002, 11:52 AM
Bradfu, I know you've been to the Yoda thread... haven't you?
Anyway, you cannot alter the height of multiplayer models. All skeletons of all multiplayer models are identical.

The new cloak looks nice, it does have more flow. Are the sleeves still long (going towards the back in the latest pic)?

-nomad
 Klorel
06-27-2002, 12:06 PM
yeah, the height cant be altered, but it will scale the model down. and if the model is "chopped" to the height bradfu suggests, then when scaled it will be proportionetally correct. otherwise he'll be a beanpole with a tiny head.
Page: 3 of 5