Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Sidious\Palpatine very early model

Page: 2 of 5
 Darkhold X
06-13-2002, 1:59 AM
It sure is. You never get stuff done.:(

by the way I think of that driving cat from snl every time I see your name.:D
 Toonces
06-14-2002, 6:09 PM
Heh, Toonces was one of my favorate skits ever on snl, I got a big kick out of him everytime he drove over a cliff :D

Here's the latest with the model:

http://www.boomspeed.com/toonces/EmpBeta.jpg)

I'm going to start capping and weighting him tonight or tommorow, I need to get him in game with a basic set of textures to really know what I'm going to have to tweak. I'm pretty happy with the way he's comming out, I might still want to add some ruffles here and there, but I'll get a better Idea of what to do once I get him in md3view

Hope you all dig the changes :D

CD :deathii:
 adillon
06-14-2002, 6:13 PM
oh yeah! your sidious/palpatine model is looking *BLEEP* incredible. good luck getting him in-game.

do you think the ruffles could be dealt with in the skin instead of having to modify what you have already? just a thought.
 Toonces
06-14-2002, 6:19 PM
Heh, you made my day Adillon, thanks :D

That's why I'm not going to touch him till I get a skin on him, so I can see what various effects I can do with the robe before I tweak any more. I love the effect I got with the bottom half of the robe

Glad you like it :D

CT :deathii:
 Dark_One
06-14-2002, 6:45 PM
I think it looks ... why isn't there a smilie with his hands touching his lips ... great. But is it possible to make him a little bit shorter like in the movies. And his back a little bend. I like it also this way but it's just a suggestion.

BTW which taunt are you gonna use? :D
 dreddsnott
06-14-2002, 6:54 PM
I hate to butt in like this and just straight-up give you some criticism, but I want to be constructive. It really seems like his chest/torso area is unusually wide...

I like the idea of a mad hopping Emperor wielding a lightsaber, though. Way to go on this project, and I hope you make some righteous skins for it!
 Toonces
06-14-2002, 8:18 PM
Critisism is very welcome Dredd, I wouldnt have gotten as far as I did without some help :D

I think it's the angle that I rendered it at that gives the look of his chest being wide. I had his shoulders quite a bit wider in earlier models, but after watching RotJ again I realised that he was quite a bit smaller than I made him innitally. If I have some time I'll post a square frontal view for you to take a look at.

As for his height, there isnt much I can do with it, we're all stuck using the MP skeleton that Raven gave us with the SDK, a problem that Kinja knows all too well. (see his fab Yoda model :D ) As soon as I get him weighted, tagged, and in md3view, I might be able to adjust his height just enough to make him appear shorter, I might not be able to do it, but I'll give it a shot :D

CT :deathii:

Oops, forgot to add, the hump IS there, it's just hidden by the hood. It's one of thoes things I'll look at making more prominent once I get him into md3view
 nomad
06-14-2002, 8:49 PM
Excellent!
You will make an amazing model and skin. I have forseen it. Everything that has transpired, has done so according to my designs.
-sorry- got carried away...again!

Great job so far. Best of luck in the trials ahead.
Have you used Dark DNA's Emperor Skin? It is quite good, except that it's Reborn's Model. The reason I ask is because I LOVE the sounds that they used. Especially the AMOUNT of sounds. (His laugh when he jumps is great!)
My only request is to give him a lot of different sounds for a bunch of different actions. This, combined with what looks like will be a great model, will make it hands down the ultimate object of Sith-Holyness!

-nomad
 Kridifur
06-15-2002, 2:50 AM
Can't wait for you to get this done. Awesome job!!
Oh, and for the earlier posts about Palpatine/Sidious; read the books Episodes 1-9.
All becomes clear.
 aL BeasTie
06-15-2002, 4:18 AM
First of all he looks great - just make sure you get that nice smokey black colour for his robes. not so much related but why diddn't Raven at least release the ugnaught as a root.xsi.

At least we could have some models that are a tad shorter -oh well, this means my Jawa skin is going to have ears! :(
oh well if any one wants him -

http://www.thehekawis.com/jk2files/JawaBOT.pk3)

please don't expect the excellence of work that has been seen here
 DarExc
06-16-2002, 11:09 AM
2 critical points. Robe needs to flow and have a little extra bit at the back to drag behind him, the hood needs to be extra large and fold over the top of the robe at front and back.
 Epimetheus
06-17-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by DarExc
2 critical points. Robe needs to flow and have a little extra bit at the back to drag behind him, the hood needs to be extra large and fold over the top of the robe at front and back.

Flowing robes aren't possible without a special $1000 program. It ain't gonna happen!
 Toonces
06-17-2002, 6:33 AM
I'd love to be able to nail the flowing robes. While I do have a friend with a copy of Softimage, he's not an animator and neither am I :(

I might tweak the hood and the robe a little still, I'll have to see how things go. I UV mapped the face early yesterday and just started to texture the face

Here is a really really really (alot of r's) early shot

http://www.boomspeed.com/toonces/basicsidface.jpg)

A mountian of work left to do :eek:

CT :lightning
 MaTT[-FcG-]
06-17-2002, 7:28 AM
looking damn good!!! :D Only thing i cane see wrong with the model so far it that your palpatine seems to have grown in height over the film version!!! Maybe shorten him by 6 inches scale? ask you can see this mock up below is a lot shorter and dumpier than your model...
http://index.echostation.com/darthsid.jpg)

You should also try and model the face on the actor who played palpatine in the movies... heres a good reference pic!
http://www.blueharvest.net/images/prequel/episode2/palpatine.jpg)

keep working on it... its not there yet but ive got a feeling it will be!!!;)
 Toonces
06-17-2002, 7:43 AM
Glad you like it :D

Thanks alot for that pic! I hadn't seen it yet, that'll help me quite a bit when it comes to the wrinkles on his face.

I modeled the head off shots of the emperor from episode VI, I think I pretty much nailed the shape of his head. Now the hard part comes :D

I'd really love to be able to get the height and posture right, unfortunatly us modelers are rather limited when it comes to that (the root.xsi skel is a pain) Once I can get him into MD3 view I'll get a better picture on what I'm able to do with that

Darkhold X
06-17-2002, 11:17 AM
It will be cool to make his eyes kinda glow, or something. To kinda imitate the light on RotJ.:)

Just because I couldnt resist... :o http://gfx.jt.org/snlmm/vid.gfx/snljtorg-sketch-toonces-02.jpg)
 inbredyokel
06-17-2002, 11:54 AM
Maybe you could move the head forward and down to include the bad posture if you made an extra head behind it that would be attached to the skeleton in the correct location. Then you could just alpha the extra head out and weight the real head(the one we would see) to it. You might get some wierd stretching or warping during certain animations in-game, but it could be tweaked to near perfection. A few bugs would be worth seeing the emporer in his full decrepid glory :D
 SuperMuftak
06-17-2002, 2:49 PM
Hey,
Looks cool man, keep up the good work. I think the body is a bit off, i.e. to wide, but like you said you are not done. I can't wait to see the finished product. Maybe we can get your Emporer and Yoda they are doing to duke it out. :syoda: :lightning
 Toonces
06-18-2002, 12:56 AM
Heh, I'd love to see that, the ultimate showdown, the two polar oppisites of the force square off :D I'll have to talk to Kinja about getting Yoda in SP so I can get a few cool shots of him fighting our boy Sidious :D

I had some fun in photoshop last night, here's what I came up with

http://www.boomspeed.com/toonces/sidhead2.jpg)

Still a ton to do, I havent added any color yet, just wanted to outline the basic facial features. The eyes are creepy which is good, but I have to work on them a bit, and the bags directly under his eyes are a tad too dark, but like I said, I've only just begun his face :D

I'm planning on working on the torso, reshaping a bit as soon as I get bored with photoshop, I was just really psyced up to work on the skin for the face, so I went for it

More to come :p

P.S. Great Pick Darkhold :D
 Epimetheus
06-18-2002, 1:24 AM
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's really creepy looking. But just make sure his skin is more white than gray on the final version...

Geez, that scared me...
 nomad
06-18-2002, 2:18 AM
Yes, another update!!
Keep up the good work.
It's always good to start doing a little facial outlining, and get the feel for how it's shaping up.

When you get furhter along, shadows upon his creased face should really help to scare people.

Let your hatred flow.
 DarthDarth
06-18-2002, 2:27 AM
This looks to be a great model/skin, there is only one huge problem I see coming with it. Lightning does not do enogh dam. to show the true power of Sidious...some people are gonna wanna woop with evil lightning and get beat to death with a sabre handel.

Someone should make a mod (and its not hard 2 do I used to make Diablo II mods) where the lightning dam. is better, and the mana drain is slower, um force not mana.... You can offset this by when using lighting or after using it you move slower, for like 20 secs, so the person could run away.... Call the entire mod something snazzy.

Well I'm Out,
DarthDarth
 superracer0022
06-18-2002, 2:38 AM
If you would make one skin for Sidious maybe you could make it so most of the face was dark except for the mouth, kind of in the movies where you can not see his face.:deathii:
 inbredyokel
06-18-2002, 3:52 AM
Here's a good facial reference pic I came across if you're in need:

http://www.mellody.co.za/michaela/palpatine/gallery/emperor09.jpg)
 T-Dogg
06-18-2002, 5:09 AM
Good work, the model's looking great! One thing about the skin though...

I know you said it's an early, early, early version, but still. The skin on his face looks kind of tight (well, FIRM, I guess). It makes him look younger than in RotJ. Also, something about the eyes: The pic in the above post shows it well. The eyes are a bit tilted downwards. Also the bags under his eyes are looser. (God DAMN he looks horrible in the photo! The skin on his face looks so tired it could just... fall off!!!)

You're on the right track, keep it up!!!
 DarExc
06-19-2002, 5:43 AM
bump
 Lucko Mabri
06-19-2002, 6:11 AM
its not at the top! pointless bumping!
 CheshireKat
06-19-2002, 6:33 AM
Toonces, some sugestions for you.

Model some wrinkles in his cloak, and before you go any farther you need to think about the game.

If his sleeves stay the way you have them, they will point outwards once he's ingame. They need to be drawn backwards to they look right ingame.

Keep at it!
 MaTT[-FcG-]
06-19-2002, 7:22 AM
Originally posted by inbredyokel
Here's a good facial reference pic I came across if you're in need:

http://www.mellody.co.za/michaela/palpatine/gallery/emperor09.jpg)

Excellent reference pic!!! :D
 SirYawnalot
06-19-2002, 7:35 AM
Hmm, I never knew ET was a Sith lord.
 Toonces
06-19-2002, 8:44 AM
Thanks for the additional refrence pic :D Will definatly help me out with detailing.

CheshireKat : The sleeves were something I was thinking about, I was going to actually post a message about that but you beat me to it :D I'll fix thoes asap

I'm definatly going to model some additional wrinkles into the model, I was just getting ansy to get into Photoshop, so I UV mapped the head. I was hoping that with my friends help (he has a copy of Softimage3d) that I would be able to animate the robe to give it some flow, but it looks to be a real hassle

I'm a pretty inexperenced modeler so I really apprishate how helpful everyone here has been :D Hopefully my art background will be able to overcome my modeling inexperence :D

I've gotten the face to look quite a bit like Palp, I'll post an update as soon as I get a little further along

P.S. ET?
 SirYawnalot
06-19-2002, 8:49 AM
Yea, ET as in Spielberg's short extra-terrestrial with a finger/forehead and telephone fetish. You've got to admit there's an amazingly strong resemblance between him and our Sidious, perhaps they're really the same person. Or something. Or perhaps I should be quiet and wait patiently for you to finish this highly groovy model.
 Toonces
06-21-2002, 3:39 AM
heh, yeah, now that you mention it they do look quite a bit alike :D Now that's a good idea for another model, ET! :p

I figured I'd write an update since the post fell down a few pages. The skin for the face is really shaping up nicely, I still have quite a few lines to add to it, but I'm convinced that I'll be able to nail the face completely :D

I was skiming through RotJ late last night looking for potential sounds when I noticed something I hadnt noticed before. Sidious appears to have a light weight gown on the interior of his robe, complete with a rope belt on his waist, so I decided to open up the front of the robe completly, and model the inner robe, Should look really cool in game :D

I also sloped the head down a bit more, and brought the hood over his face a little more

He's getting there, step by step

SuperMuftak
06-21-2002, 7:13 AM
Hey,
Your doing a great job! I can't wait to see this guy in game. :lightning
 Epimetheus
06-21-2002, 10:07 AM
Can't wait...

And apparently, all messages must end with :lightning:
 Blackice007
06-21-2002, 10:41 AM
To Name all the Darths

Darth Maul
Darth Vader
Darth Bane
Darth Sidious isn't Palpatine
Palpatine's name is (Emperor Palpatine)
Darth Tryant

THats all of them

How I can prove it that Sidious isn't Palpatine is in Espidos 1 Sidous was the guy with Darth Maul and Palpatine was with the Queen
 Blackice007
06-21-2002, 10:43 AM
Tread isn't down yet
 peloquin
06-21-2002, 10:50 AM
blackice, ROFL good one.

they're the same person dude.
 Toonces
06-21-2002, 12:10 PM
It's been debated to death.

I'm convinced it's the same guy, and that doesnt even have anything to do with the fact that the same actor plays both charecters in episode I & 2 and played the Emperor in Return of the Jedi

Anyway, this would belong in the skining forum if not for the fact that I'm making a model too :D

http://www.boomspeed.com/toonces/sidface2.jpg)

I flipped out when I rendered this shot, needless to say I'm :D :D :D

I have some finishing touched to add to the face, and the body of the model, then I can begin to texture the rest of the model

More to come :D

CT :lightning (I love this icon)
 nomad
06-21-2002, 12:11 PM
Cool! Layered robing... I love it.
I figured you just didn't want to be bothered with the extra robing. Gad you've added it.
Best of luck!

-nomad

MTFBWY
 nomad
06-21-2002, 12:16 PM
OOOOHH!
That face is getting there! The lines are looking great!
Excellent job!
I just saw this after I posted. Guess I could have just edited my post, but I wanted you to see that I think it's looking tremendous.

Let your HATRED flow!

With each passing moment you are becoming more and more the model's servant.

-nomad

MTFBWY
 Toonces
06-21-2002, 12:24 PM
heh, nah, I just never saw it before. It's been a while since I've seen RotJ, and I pretty much just did the model from refrence pics. Once I knew it was there, it would have bugged me too much to release the model without the inside layer

Glad you like the face :D

BradFu
06-21-2002, 12:25 PM
Very nice job on that face, Toonces!! This guy is looking great!

And that crap about Palpatine not being Sidious, you guys really should give that up. It's been very definitively stated by Lucasfilm that they ARE the same person. There is no room for debate. It's like saying "Perhaps the sun is really made of brocolli."
 nomad
06-21-2002, 2:27 PM
Bradfu,
I've actually heard that the sun may be made of a type of broccoli.
It has some similar moleculer make-up within it's protien structure and the photon pattern of certain light waves tastes very good with cheese which has led to some scientists hypothesizing that the sun may in fact be made of some form of green vegetable and most probably a distant relative of broccoli. So, you'll be happy to know, that by eating a minimum of 2 grams of sun each day, a person's chances of getting cancer is reduced immeasurably.
Er, at least that's what I read on the internet.

-nomad

"I love democracy. And I love the Republic."

MTFBWY

Just to stay on topic: Yes Toonces, I am really liking the face!
 SithBrakiss
06-22-2002, 1:57 AM
Originally posted by nomad
Bradfu,
I've actually heard that the sun may be made of a type of broccoli.
It has some similar moleculer make-up within it's protien structure and the photon pattern of certain light waves tastes very good with cheese which has led to some scientists hypothesizing that the sun may in fact be made of some form of green vegetable and most probably a distant relative of broccoli. So, you'll be happy to know, that by eating a minimum of 2 grams of sun each day, a person's chances of getting cancer is reduced immeasurably.
Er, at least that's what I read on the internet.

-nomad

"I love democracy. And I love the Republic."

MTFBWY

Just to stay on topic: Yes Toonces, I am really liking the face!

Damn...he has a good point.
Nice model toonces,i like the robe!
 Toonces
06-22-2002, 3:44 AM
Thanks Brakiss :D

I've got a request for the community, does anyone have any really close up (and detailed) pics of the symbol that sidious wears on his colar? I've found a few semi-close pics, but nothing I can find shows enough detail for me to skin it

I'm going to try to finish modeling tonight or tommorow so I can start skining the rest of him (and the tedious job of weighting and taging)

DarExc
06-22-2002, 4:14 AM
Im a Sidious freak so I can tell you anything you need, http://webhome.idirect.com/~tk421/DSbrooch2001sm.jpg)
thats as close as it gets. I actualy own one of these as well =) but not from this guy.
 nomad
06-22-2002, 4:27 AM
DOH!
Toonces I just went to The Magic Of Myth:Star Wars Exhibit at the Brooklin Museum the other day. They have tons of actual movie costumes and props.
It is an Absolutely Awesome experience. If you live anywhere NY, you should definately check it out.
Anyway, the reason for my Homerism is that they have the Emperor's Robes in a display case, complete with all the robes, his cane and his cloak clasp, but my digital camera ran out of batteries BEFORE I got to his display!

The clasp is very strange. It's actually a rectangle with strange holes and contours carved smoothly into it's surface. It looks like it could be made out of something like hematite, or some other type of shiny, smooth rock.
It really looked different than I thought it would. In the movie it usually shines and it gives the appearence of a carved metallic clasp, but it's actually a stone (possibly dark grey metal) rectangle with routed carvings.

I can try to draw it from my memory, but I'll also check what reference photos I may have (I've got a few books that might have good stuff, including the one I grabbed at the museum) Also I'm picking up my girlfriend's pictures later, and I'll see if we took any pics of the almighty emperor with what was left on her roll of film.
Small detail, but the more the better right?

I may even go back to the exhibit next week. Not sure if I should :)

Hope I can help

-nomad
 nomad
06-22-2002, 4:38 AM
He he, Good job DarExc!
I can sure ramble hehe!

That pic is the real deal.
Did I explain it well? :rolleyes:

:lightning
 Toonces
06-22-2002, 4:51 AM
Nice, thanks DarExc! That'll be a godsend :D That website has some nice pics of the robe that I might be able to use

Nomad, your discription is dead on. Don't you hate when you run out of film? It definatly looks nothing like I thought it did, I thought it was curved :)

I didn't know there was an exibit up there. I actually live in central NJ, so it's pretty easy for me to get to the city, I should really go up and take a look. How long is it running? I'd love to get a natural light shot of his robe for the texture, I really want to nail the pattern on it

Page: 2 of 5