Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Mon Calamari Model

Page: 5 of 5
 adillon
07-10-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by moooa
i think that u prefer have the new glm

moooa, i have the older one, but would you mind sending me the newer glm here (adillon@jkroller.com), if you think i should use it at this time AND if it's not too much of a hassle? i don't know if i'll need it or not, i just want to be sure that the skin won't change without my knowledge between the glm i have and the newer one. thanks.

also, can someone please remind me how to turn surface on/off? i wanna turn the belt surface off, but i'm not sure if i'm able to.

i posted a thread in the skinning forum regarding my skin for the mon calamari model, but haven't gotten a lot of feedback (except from klorel, bradfu and trevhimself ... thanks fellas :D). for those of you who are interested, you can see it at this location (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/mc_sith1.jpg). any criticism/feedback/rants/praises you can give me would be great.

hey brad, your links don't work anymore ... FYI.
 moooa
07-10-2002, 12:32 AM
Hi adillon
The new glm is not ready for the moment
I'll see your work and its' pretty good
I'm making a jedi mon calamari mesh, if u want to it
I'll try to show pics soon, but don't really have time for the moment
For turning the belt I do't know how to do (maybe in modview, in the left go to the belt right click and set it off but I can't save the file after)

moooa
 TrevHimself
07-10-2002, 2:02 AM
here's my model_default.surf file:

surfOff "hips_belt"
surfOn ""

i dont know if i still need the surfon part.
in modview click "model.glm>surfaces>////stupidtriangle", then right-click "hips_belt" and select OFF. you can then goto "file>write script" and not have to reppeat the process.
 moooa
07-10-2002, 2:53 AM
Thx Trev for the information :D
But just one question: does the surface which is hidden be render (in the polygon count ) in the game
 adillon
07-10-2002, 3:23 AM
Originally posted by TrevHimself
here's my model_default.surf file:

surfOff "hips_belt"
surfOn ""

i dont know if i still need the surfon part.
in modview click "model.glm>surfaces>////stupidtriangle", then right-click "hips_belt" and select OFF. you can then goto "file>write script" and not have to reppeat the process.

thanks trev, i'll give it a whirl tonite.

moooa, i don't think i'll take the new jedi mesh. i'll work with the one i have, but thanks anyway. i'm glad you like what i've done so far ... i'm trying to make the skin worthy of being a part of your model.
 BradFu
07-10-2002, 3:49 AM
Mooaaa, according to Mike Gummelt from Raven, surfaces that are Turned Off are ignored by the game engine, so they don't add to the Polycount in-game :)
 adillon
07-10-2002, 7:06 AM
trev, please check your pm.
 Eets
07-10-2002, 9:49 AM
Now that I have a decent vid card, here's a screenshot of my work on the bootleg model. :D

I'm open to comments/suggestions/constructive criticism.

And I know the back of the head isn't exactly "seamless" :D I'm still working on that.

http://tjc.netfirms.com/darkjedimoncal.jpg)
 Harukaze
07-10-2002, 10:28 AM
Hey guys, not sure if this makes a difference, but I'm pretty certain that if you're doing a blue Mon Cal, he's actually a she ^_^ Obviously fish don't have breasts, so the same model really can be used for both; and I remember reading [and seeing] that females are blue/aqua and males are red/salmon.

That said, nothing wrong imho with BradFu's wonderful Jedi skin to be a Jedi Watchwoman ;) Of course, that's Brad's call to make, but I think that'd be the case if we're holding to EU-cannon.

Then again, when did the Dark Forces series hold to EU-cannon? ^_^
 BradFu
07-10-2002, 10:47 AM
Naw, that's fan speculation. Nothing official says anything about color being matched to gender. If that were the case, then Ackbar would be a sexist pig, cause his entire bridge crew is dark red, meaning male.

I think more likely, Dark red is the most common Mon Calamari race, with blue, silver, and brown being much more rare. There's actually data supporting this. Cilghal, one of Luke's first students, is a dark red color. (Pg 160, Dark Apprentice). It actually says in there that the differences between male and female is that females have smoother heads, males lumpier.

Oddev is a male, blue Mon Calamari Jedi Knight :)
 Kranckor
07-10-2002, 11:34 AM
Sigh I can load the model in modview but it won't display the skins :(
 TrevHimself
07-10-2002, 2:12 PM
eets: your skin is looking great, the only thing that really needs work is the darker body suit, it seems kinda off, make the ripples wider perhaps. i dig the eyes.

kranckor: it may seem like a dumb thing for me to say but is there something wrong with your model_default.skin? is it giving you any specific errors?
 TrevHimself
07-10-2002, 4:21 PM
ive decided to name my mon cal Czess unless i can think of a better name later. i re-did the black body suit type thing but it's still looking too black (especially in the screen). anyway heres a crappy screen that you cant really see any detail in...
ackbarskin4.jpg (http://www.verbicide.net/~trevor/jk2skins/ackbarskin4.jpg)
 Kranckor
07-11-2002, 3:59 AM
Here is Ernek:
http://www.freewebz.com/tobar/Ernnek.JPG)
Note this is not the final skin
 moooa
07-11-2002, 5:25 AM
The skin are looking good
Keep the good work

I put pics of new glm here. The texture are not good just and the hand will be a liitle changed.

http://www.geocities.com/mooooa2002/Cala.html)

moooa
 Kranckor
07-11-2002, 5:28 AM
The model looks even better! WOW GREAT JOB MOOOA :D
 Eets
07-11-2002, 5:34 AM
Lookin' good, mooa!

P.S. I just got my skin ingame, as a bot and a player :D He's pretty good, even if he does hold the saber backwards ;)
 TrevHimself
07-11-2002, 1:47 PM
the new mesh looks amazing. im probably gonna start over on my skin and try to make it look good. i suppsoe i'll use the jedi mesh.
 Kranckor
07-11-2002, 2:19 PM
Yeah I might started on a Jedi Skin too :D
 TrevHimself
07-11-2002, 2:42 PM
i will still be making my sith ksin, but perhaps just on the jedi model.
 BradFu
07-11-2002, 2:49 PM
Lookin great, Mooaaa! I really appreciate you going to the extra effort of making a Jedi Mon Cal model :D If it's allright, I'd like to make one request for that model. If you could shortin the tunic and tabards a bit, that would be great. What I'm think is maybe the portion below the belt should be about half as long.

On another note.. Now that this one seems to be nearing it's final stages, what kind of mdel will you be doing next? :)
 Kit Fisto
07-11-2002, 3:09 PM
It's looking great, cant wait for a release. Now we need a Squid Face model to counter the Mon Cal.
 nucular_jedi_14
07-11-2002, 9:18 PM
all of ur skins look great and so does the new mesh!
and btw how about for ur next project:http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/niennunb/index.html) Nein Nunb!
 Grafox
07-11-2002, 11:08 PM
Yeah, the new model looks amazing! I am gonna start skinning this weekend, since I have to work weekdays :

Ow, btw, I do would like a copy of the new mesh emailed to me. :)
 adillon
07-11-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Grafox
Ow, btw, I do would like a copy of the new mesh emailed to me. :)

same goes for me too, moooa. i'd like to make sure my skin works on the new mesh, which btw is *BLEEP* amazing. i'd only need the new ackbar mesh, NOT the jedi mesh. can you PLEASE send it here (adillon@jkroller.com) and/or here (andrew.dillon@verizon.net) at your earliest convenience? thanks, man!

i have a question, too. with the new mesh, are the hands set up on their own, or are they still referring to the skin on the head?
 Tobrac
07-13-2002, 3:59 PM
Could we get any Screenshots of this dude in game? Please? :p
 moooa
07-13-2002, 5:53 PM
For the moment i just finish to weight the point of the ackbar model. And it will be ready
For the jedi version I must uvmap some parts and weight the points too, so this will take much time but I hope not so long because I want to make another model.
Bradfu, no problem i can shortin the different parts

moooa
 bliv
07-21-2002, 9:14 AM
Is this model still going as I was looking forward to it.
 adillon
07-22-2002, 10:52 AM
moooa e-mailed the appropriate files out to all those who are doing their skins (yours truly included), so yes, it is still being worked on.

stay tuned ... more to come ... :drool1:
 Harukaze
07-22-2002, 11:23 AM
I'll be starting a skin myself as soon as I can find my issues of X-wing Rogue Squadron. I seem to have misplaced a fair ammount of comics which, needless to say, is making me rather unhappy. Either way, you can look forward to seeing a non-Jedi skin from me... eventually ^_^
 moooa
07-22-2002, 2:45 PM
Sorry for the late the model have but I have lots of work, but I'll be nearly in holiday :)

For the model, I've ackbar in the game but without lods I have nearly finished the model with boots. And still working on the jedi model
But I have question : can someone help me for the sounds because I try to find some good ackbar sound with no success and I'm not really good in sound mixing. If someone interest send me a pm
Thanx

moooa
 Delmar
07-25-2002, 2:09 PM
hey moooa, sorry i can't help you with the ackbar sounds but i have another question..

when this is done, are you still going to go back fixing dengar's saber problem?
 moooa
07-25-2002, 3:27 PM
Yes I will fix the problem and change the head texture
 trowa500
07-26-2002, 12:29 AM
so whos skinning it?
 Rex_Raptor__
08-01-2002, 9:34 AM
Pretty Good

Freeze!:trooper:
 trowa500
08-01-2002, 11:36 PM
whos skinning ackabar?
 MUHAHAHAHAHA
08-02-2002, 7:03 AM
I watched ROTJ last week, and didn't really notice any good sounds for Ackbar :(. If anyone knows what a good taunt for him would be, I can rip it from the DIVX.
 moooa
08-02-2002, 8:10 AM
I have begin the sounds
For the taunts I have put "may the force be with us"
"it's trap" and "we have no choice general calrissian"
But I remember that "it's a trap" was not so good
And I try to find some good tutorial on sound program
 adillon
08-02-2002, 9:01 AM
Originally posted by trowa500
so whos skinning it?

there's a bunch of people skinning the mon calamari, myself included.

here's a pic (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/mc_sith1.jpg) of my sith mon calamari, based upon the old glm. all i focused on was his coloring and eyes, NOT his clothing. unfortunately i haven't had a whole helluva lot of time to work with the new glm, but plan to tonite. and i hope to have some new shots to show soon.
 trowa500
08-02-2002, 12:54 PM
looks great and hope it soulds great keep up the good work
 mariners2001
08-15-2002, 11:14 PM
what's going on? is this project actually done for?
 trowa500
08-16-2002, 12:33 AM
ya all of a sudden it died even though everythin was goin pretty nicely
 moooa
08-16-2002, 7:00 AM
I have finish the mesh, the default texture, the move of ackbar and mon calamari with boots. I'm still working on the ctf texture, shaders and sounds. I've send all of this to the skinners but I only have answer of bobbafett, maybe the others are in holidays.

For the jedi version, I've uvmap the model and now waiting for bradfu

If u want to see pics of ackbar in game I have send the pk3 to james of modcentral but I think he's in holiday
 adillon
08-16-2002, 9:30 AM
Originally posted by moooa
I've send all of this to the skinners but I only have answer of bobbafett, maybe the others are in holidays.

i wish i was on vacation ...

i've been pretty busy lately studying/taking my architectural registration exams, so haven't had a ton of time to work on my skin. someday soon, i swear. maybe if my skin isn't done when moooa's ready to release this, i'll release my version later ... as long as it's OK with him, of course.

:mon:
 moooa
08-16-2002, 12:25 PM
No pb adillon
I think that your exams are more important than this skin, so make it when u have time
and since the jedi version is not finished, ackbar will not be release so I think u will have time
And I forgot before that Da Admiral send me his skin, I will just adjust it to the new mesh and show some pics
 Eets
08-16-2002, 3:50 PM
Don't forget me! :D

That is, as long as you're not tired of Sith Mon Calamarians. :D

( Eets@GalacticBattles.com )
 moooa
08-16-2002, 4:33 PM
Oups sorry eets
I will send u the file now
And if I forgot other people, tell me I will send u the file
 moooa
08-16-2002, 5:25 PM
Eets I receive an error message from your mail
Can u give another mail adress
 wolfgangpuk
08-16-2002, 5:46 PM
please send me the file!!! wolf-gang-puk@carolina.rr.com
 Eets
08-16-2002, 5:59 PM
Spast!

I'll PM you my private e-mail address. Would you mind sending the error along, too? :)

EDIT: Hmm, my GB.com e-mail address seems to be working fine... Maybe you could CC the model to it as well. Eets@GalacticBattles.com
Page: 5 of 5