Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Does Trade Federation suck ???

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthMuffin
05-04-2002, 6:07 PM
I have read many, many, many messages saying that the TF was the worst civ. Is this really tru ? Personnaly, I find the destroyer droids quite powerfull...:confused:
 duder
05-04-2002, 9:14 PM
The -25% speed on carbon collecting is an absolute killer. SO I would say they are the weakest.
 Automaton
05-05-2002, 5:01 AM
Originally posted by duder
The -25% speed on carbon collecting is an absolute killer. SO I would say they are the weakest.

It's actually -20% Carbon collection speed and -25 Carbon. Since that 25 Carbon would invariably go toward a Prefab, no big loss. Also, enough prefabs to get to 200 supply would cost 4975 Carbon anyways, and a 20% Carbon Gathering deficit would relate to them having to use 6 carbon gatherers to the usual player's 5, but it can be said that 1 in 6 gatherers would normally be spending their time building prefabs and other buildings anyways.

Early game, the TF's lack of carbon isn't felt as badly as late game, where the real numbers would accumulate. The only time the Trade Federation can win more efficiently than other races seems to be either very early, where the carbon they save on shelters is used on Troopers, for a Tech Level 1 trooper harrass, (Mostly against human players) or very late game, where the main thing they save is time from not having to dedicate workers to prefab production and the 4975 carbon they saved on prefabs is already basically nullified by slow carbon gathering, but doesn't matter because most players have way too much carbon during Post Tech 4 anyways, and the Trade Federation can use it's Fusion Extractor tech and Neimoidian Endorsement/Insider Trading helps to lessen the impact of their diminished carbon gathering, with FE relating to speedy ore gathering and the reduced building costs related to ore based buildings allowing them to throw up late defensive expansions with astonishing speed and economy. So even though early carbon based production is slightly slowed, they earn back that money in other ways. Getting Neimoidian Endorsement as soon as it's available is the standard COA for a TF player anyways.

But it all boils down to whether or not the race is cool/fun, and I like Destroyer Droids. :P
 J-5
05-26-2002, 2:43 PM
At least Destroyer Droids don't cost carbon. The problem is that the Trade Fed's strong suits, mechs, heavy weapons, and ships do require carbon except Assualt Mechs which are expensive anyway. Don't even think about using air or jedi with these guys.
As for troopers, Destroyer Droids should replace them in tech-4. At least in the x-pack, the TF do get the last carbon upgrade in tech-4 (I think). But there are other races I prefer.

P.S.- no prefabs rules! ;)
 Mr_Frawst
05-27-2002, 6:57 PM
HELL no! they rock it u know how to use em right
 Kryllith
06-05-2002, 3:55 PM
I'd say they work rather well given that a HHD onslaught (especially if backed with some AA artillery and fighters) works great for cutting down the carbon production of other civs...

Kryllith
 jedi3112
06-08-2002, 12:00 PM
The Republic is way better than the TF they get raise their housing with 6 instead of 5 of the rest although it still doesn't compare to the no housing needed of the TF the Republic doesn't get the carbon collecting fee. They also have all upgrades in 3 groups (troopers, jedi, air) and they have more upgrades for their food rate at the animal nursery, while they also get morr nova in the same time from holocrons in the temple
 Kryllith
06-10-2002, 6:19 PM
I'd say the republic get better tech advantages overall than the trade fed, though one group of HDD (properly supported) can royally screw that over. Of course, TF also has an advantage in the water--not that many people are willing to play on it. Republic has a major advantage over TF when it comes to Jedis, though HHDs also work rather well against them.

Kryllith
 Grey_Leader11
06-16-2002, 12:45 PM
its not bad...better than gungans, thats 4 sure
 Kryllith
06-18-2002, 12:44 AM
HHD wise yes, but I wouldn't knock an army of shield protected gungans, especially considering how well they heal...

Kryllith
 MadrixTF
06-21-2002, 7:50 PM
Personally, i use TF all the time - i don't like building Prefab Shelters and after i realised the Carbon disadvantage, i reajusted my economy and have never had a problem with Carbon since! Those Destroyer Droids Rule! Once i get my Fortress up that's game over for any opponent!
Page: 1 of 1