Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

First map ever... help!

Page: 1 of 2
 VEGETA2K1
04-26-2002, 11:47 PM
Hi, i am making my first map ever, so far its going good, though i have a few questions,
1) how do i make sliding doors?(how would i prepare it? and add entitiy to it?)

2) how would i make an elavator?

3) i have MP map thingy loaded up so i can make a mp map, though the problem is.. there are no entities.. but in sp there are??? i went to project options,.a nd i made sure it said mp_enitties.def, still nothing? any help here?:confused:
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 1:16 AM
PLEEEEEEEASE any one?:( :( :fett:
 dreamstation
04-27-2002, 1:24 AM
I do not have your answers for your questions, but i also get the same response as you. Whenever i post a thread asking for help, no-one hardly ever answers me! :(
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 1:39 AM
bah that really sux, no1 replies to the threads that usually state "help" heh maybe we wil lget better respomces if wee say "great new sp maps based on star wars movies+stories!" or someting like that.. but hen inside we say we lie lol:D
 dreamstation
04-27-2002, 1:42 AM
hahaha good idea! Lets do it! ;)
 mapmaker
04-27-2002, 1:42 AM
I would answer you if I knew the answers to your questions :(
 Tarison
04-27-2002, 1:44 AM
There was a fix posted for the entities thing, which is meant to be:

"entitypath" "__QERPATH\mp_entities.def"

It was posted on the news of both http://www.jediknightii.net/) and http://www.massassi.net/)

Don't feel as though people are ignoring you. Keep in mind that the editing tools haven't been out for very long, and many people are still learning. My advice is to try out the many Q3 tutorials as the process is fairly similar. There will be instances where what you're after isn't exactly the same, but be patient.

Sooner or later, people will know the real answers, and probably right up tutorials or something. Personally, I'm a novice when it comes to editing, doing some minor stuff back with Doom, failed attempts at Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, and Half-Life.. but I'm learning :jawa

Best tutorial I know of (and there's been many references to this by other people already) is http://planetquake.com/bubba/mapping.html)

A list of resources is also included in a doc file included with the tools in the same path as JK2Radiant itself, so open it up and take a look through that.
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 2:15 AM
okay thanx for the help, i my sel fuse the bubba tut too, liing what it offers..
but i dont understand what to chznge the path to?
would it be C:\Star wars jk2\Base\tools\mp_entities.def? or somehting esle?
 dreamstation
04-27-2002, 2:27 AM
I installed my JK2 into the default directory and this is what mine looks like:

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\Tools\MP_entities.def

Hope this helps!
 FunClown
04-27-2002, 4:31 AM
I've said this in other threads but try and check out the QeRadiant manual. Look it up in google. Try and get the pdf version. Very good reference and will answer a lot of questions. I'm new to Q3 mapping as well and this has helped me heaps.
 Tarison
04-27-2002, 4:43 AM
In regard to that manual, I've managed to find the HTML version (duh, that's easy), but have had no luck finding the pdf version. You have a link handy or something? :jawa
 FEXX
04-27-2002, 4:53 AM
Try here for the Q3Radiant PDF manual:
ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/tools/q3rmanpdf.zip

And all the above ideas are great. And as people learn more, and myself, we can post more to help others.

For me, I am learning slowly, but I do realize that I can load up the included free-bee kejim_post.map and look it over carefully. This map is a dead give-away to things I have no clue how to create yet, like slick elevators we all need and other clever concepts the RAVEN team did. But I like to reverse engineer at times, others may not.

As I learn I take text from this forum and add it to my JK2 Editing Bible. In the end the .doc will be a hardcore reference to JK2 map editing for SP or MP.
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 11:23 AM
thanx for all the help...
but.. i know i sould aply a entitie to make a door/elivator.. but..
what do i add it to?
would i first cgc subtract, then get my little perice i subtracted, and put it in the "hole" then aply entitie? or is there another way?
 Danshmeala
04-27-2002, 12:36 PM
To make a door:

1. Create a hole in the wall that needs a door. (CSG Subtract)

2. Next, create a thin brush that covers up the hole.

3. With the brush still selected, you right click in one of the 2D views, find 'func_door' and apply that.

4. Press 'n' (sometimes twice) to bring up the entity menu. (Keep the brush selected during all of this.)

5. Click on one of the numbers at the bottom to chose which way you want the door to slide according to the 'top' view.

To make an elevator:

1. Create a hollow elevator shaft. (combining to the door if you want)

2. Create a brush about the same size as your door and place it where you want the elevator to be when it goes up.

3. Apply the 'func_plat' to the small brush.

4. With the just the small brush selected, press 'n'.

5. Type in 'height' as the key and for the value, it's rather confusing... so read carefully.

6. Here's the formula: (top position) - (brush thickness) - (bottom position) = height. So if I wanted my elevator to start at unit
(-1000) and go up to unit (0), then this is what the formula would look like: (0) - (8) - (-1000) = 992

7. So the value for the 'height' key in that example would be 992. If you want your elevator to start at the top and go down, you place the brush at the bottom and put in (-992) (if it were the smae example...)

There I hope you can understand that. It took me a while to get it myself. :)

~ Danshmeala
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 1:01 PM
thanx alot!!!
but u said thin brush.. the thinest i can make it, is 1square thick on the grid.. is this right?
 Danshmeala
04-27-2002, 1:05 PM
I made my elevators be 8 units thick (8 grid squares on the smallest grid)

8 units is my reccomendation, but you can make whatever you fell like doing. :cool:
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 1:12 PM
okayt hanx.
also the doors, say iw ant it to slide left and right(i think i can dot his on y own^_^) but.. would it bealright if it went into the wall brush when it slide open? or would that just mess htigns up? or is it supposed to? cuz i cant find any where else to put it..
 Danshmeala
04-27-2002, 1:19 PM
I *think* it's okay to let them slide into the wall, but if you wanted to, you could make the wall thicker, and put the doors in the open position, CSG Subract, and then move them back to the closed position. That way there would be a little slot for them to go into.
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 1:23 PM
hmm i could dot hat.. but i would ahve to do that to every thing.. il lsee if it works out...if not.. illd o that ^_^

also.. is there a way to test the level? or do i ahve to compile it?
and when i compile it.. do i HAVE to amke it a pk3?
 Danshmeala
04-27-2002, 1:43 PM
To test your level, convert it to a .bsp file using 'bsp FullVis' or 'bsp FastVis(1/2)' for less quality and faster 'bsp'ing speeds :D. Then place your newly created .bsp file into the 'maps' folder under 'base'.

Next, open up (either single player or MP, whichever your map is) JKII, press 'shift' + '~' and then a black bar will scroll down. Type in 'devmap mapname'. But replace 'mapname' with... your map's name...:p
 Lord Reye's
04-27-2002, 2:10 PM
:band:
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 2:14 PM
okey thanx.. ill test soon, but.... i made it too small! the player spawn thingy doesnt fit!!well.. in the hallways i made...... :'( and when i scale it all(takes like 30 mint o select everthing one by one..) it makes my stairs bigger... now the guy cant go up stairs! arggggggghhhj..... is there a simple way to make it all bigger?
also when i test it, should i add a world spawn thingy? if so.. i cant, cuz it gices some crappy error..

edit: i built it using a player start intity, and.. it doesnt compile or what evr.. i go to bsp(trid em all..) and i cant find it any wherem its not in my maps flder dir or any thing.. there are .bak fiels though?
 Darth Draugmahl
04-27-2002, 2:23 PM
just be careful when using the subtract command. If you're not paying attention you can create a ton of extra polys and really hike up the rspeeds on your maps
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 2:49 PM
how don i make a bsp? i went to bsp>fullbsb(last one in list) and nothing happesn? just brings up dos window, and goes away like.. half a seconds later..
where is the bsp loaced once madE?
 Danshmeala
04-27-2002, 3:02 PM
I have very limited knowledge of the Radiant editors, so... I don't know.

But, mine get put into the 'maps' folder
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 3:10 PM
bah! this is very very gay! i cant even test my map!!!!! how do i make a bsp filllllllllllle?:mad: :eek: :confused:
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 5:14 PM
bah kno1 knows how to make bsp? how does evry1 else do it?
 FEXX
04-27-2002, 5:21 PM
To get textures to load up, be sure you installed JK2Radiant into your /Gamedata folder. It will make a /Tools folder. It should be able to find the textures that way.

But you can also unzipped the whole 530mb .pk3 (if you have the HD space) in to the /base folder too. I did this so I could look then all over with my image viewer.
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 5:30 PM
huh? i didnt ask about textures..................
so.. ny1 knwo hwo to make a bsp?!
 Coyote399
04-27-2002, 6:44 PM
if you have lighted your map: at the top hit bsp and go to full vis and hit that and wait

if you havent lit your map, do the same thing, but instead of full vis go to full vis (no light)
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 6:57 PM
that didnt work..
 Coyote399
04-27-2002, 7:05 PM
what do you mean it didn't work?? did the dos thing come up??
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 7:09 PM
yeh fopr 1 second, ten disapeard, but no bsp file..
 Coyote399
04-27-2002, 7:18 PM
hmmm.....how big/complex is your map??
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 7:24 PM
its not very big or complex, ive also tried other maps but does same..
and what do u mean am i using the load screen? what load screen?
 Coyote399
04-27-2002, 7:34 PM
well...how are you checking to make sure the .bsp is not there??
 VEGETA2K1
04-27-2002, 7:36 PM
i lookin in the folders(all of the jk2 dir) its not there,
i aklso tried to load ingame by typing devmap test (test=mapname) but it said it coulnt find either soo..... im guessing it didnt make one...
maybe its the sof2map thing? maybe its not set within radiant? how wouldi set this?:confused:
 VEGETA2K1
04-28-2002, 12:22 AM
can no1 help with compiling?
 Coyote399
04-28-2002, 12:58 AM
sorry man, ya got me :(
 Hubris
04-28-2002, 1:25 AM
Read what the dos prompt is saying while it is compiling, I guarantee there's error messages there.
 VEGETA2K1
04-28-2002, 1:34 AM
it goes to fast to read, but it makes .bak fiels?(or it may be just saving?) what are these .bak files?
 TraDogNight
04-28-2002, 2:55 AM
compile and .bsp problem......

goto --->file ---> project settings ---->then your mapspath should be: \STARWA~1\GameData\\base\maps\
then you can devmap mapname from the console

hope that helps:)

ps you may have to close and restart radiant
 VEGETA2K1
04-28-2002, 3:04 AM
was already set like that, still no go :(. but does thsat line there mean, that the bsp files will compile to that dir.?
 TraDogNight
04-28-2002, 3:08 AM
yeah it should, it does for me.
When the DOS window comes up, you shouldn't close it to fast.
When I closed it right away the bsp wouldn't show up.
 VEGETA2K1
04-28-2002, 3:21 AM
I dont close it, it closes it's self..
 Manquesa
04-28-2002, 3:46 AM
I had that problem with EFRadiant, the compile wouldn't work right and the dos box went too fast to read. I eventually just uninstalled Radiant and then reinstalled and it worked fine after that. Although i'm not sure how different (if at all) the compiler is for JK2Radiant but in EFRadiant it created a junk.txt file which contained the compile messages in it and I believe it would be stored in the Windows\Temp directory. Do a file search for that junk.txt file and see if that helps you with any error messages.
 Jesterspaz
04-28-2002, 4:54 AM
hey guys, looks like problems are about...

When you make your map, do a FullVis first... til it closes the DOS window... then do a relight, this usually takes longer, just be patient...

then to test, load up jk2mp...
shift-~ to bring up console, then type

/sv_pure 0
/map <your map name> without the braces, and without the extension...

let me know how it goes

Justin "Jesterspaz" Negrete
www.planetquake.com/jesterspaz)
Check out DUEL_PAVILLION in the file section,
my latest creation
 VEGETA2K1
04-28-2002, 3:37 PM
Still no go, i uninstalled, and did what u said.. nothing!!!! ERM! maybe the path to my compiler is wrong? how could i change that?
 Nanime
04-28-2002, 3:51 PM
First it was the entities... but that got fixed. I'm using Bubba's training sessions, and in my other thread I made a vow to put up a tutorial on the same level as his once I've got this down. I'm determined as heck to do it too. I'm giving the test instructions a run right now, and if it works, then I'll be elated. Otherwise I'm in the same boat as you. :newbie:
 Nanime
04-28-2002, 4:00 PM
Wahooo! It worked!

:amidala:
Page: 1 of 2