Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Petition: Remove Saber Throwing In FFA duels Next Patch

Page: 1 of 3
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 8:26 PM
I dont think this should be allowed. I usually dont use saber throw, because with force its useless, and on noforce you can't throw your saber (i should hope so right?).

I mean #1 the saber uses force to throw in the first place, and there is NO force in duels.

When you duel the saber throwing really ****s you over, especially since light stance doesn't block it (which being that its already weak enough and yet you have no advantage in defense as that as a heavy stancer, its rediculous) unless you constantly keep looking down or crouch 24/7.

I think as a whole it is fine but please remove its use from use in ffa duels.

thanks you.
 UsEr-X-
04-15-2002, 8:30 PM
I agree when it says no force I expect NO force that goes for force jump too. I guess they werent very strict with making it "force only".:confused:

UsEr-X-:fett:
 Jiro Kage
04-15-2002, 8:33 PM
It would be so easy if the hit detection were better. But as it is now, I vote NO to your dumb petition.

If hit detection worked properly, then this might not be an idiotic statement.
 Bacon00
04-15-2002, 8:38 PM
I vote no - this is a dumb petition. I doubt they will take it out in a patch... it adds some excitement.

Stop inventing things to whine about.
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 8:40 PM
idiotic? you result to name calling with absolutely nothing to back yourself up with. Your the ****ing moron.

Its NoForce duel, and it should be No saber throwing either.

Btw yea it suuuure would be nice if they fixed collision detection..but their not gunna ****ing do that. They might try and find a workaround the Heavy Stance Jump Attack sooner or later, but i doubt they will care to find a fix for every other collision imbalance in the game and there are alot.

So keep dreaming, but right now and probably for a long while, it would take 2 seconds to code out saber throw.
 Bacon00
04-15-2002, 8:43 PM
*gasps in horror*

NO FORCE??? WITH SABER THROWING??

HOW DID THEY RELEASE SUCH A FAULTY PRODUCT???

It's there because it gives people an offensive move against heavy attacks. Otherwise you'd never be able to hit someone swinging at you with heavy. It's there for balance.

Again, stop inventing things to whine about.

BTW - you're not going to get near the "yes votes" to make this a legit. complaint. Trust me.
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 8:43 PM
I and many other players see no need for saber throw, but enjoy the ocaisonal duel and see no reason to spend it on saber throw(which is good for nothing other then duels in that it spends so much force power ANYWAY).

In duels you dont use your force power. Therefore the only thing your force gets used for is Regen after saber throw, which is utterly rediculous. The saber throw plays little part in the game itself as is, to be that important in a duel.

And its ridiculous to wast 18 force points for 1 ****ing skill to use in a NOFORCE ffa duel.
 Bacon00
04-15-2002, 8:45 PM
ROFLMAO

USELESS IN THE GAME? SABER THROW?

I'm sorry, but that's one bad, bad comment. If you have any idea what you're doing or talking about, you'd know that throwing the saber is up there with "most useful tactics" in the game.

Stop. Inventing. Things. To. Whine. About.
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 8:46 PM
The didnt invent saber throw for heavy stance. Gezuz.

They didn't even properly beta test ****ing heavy stance, or they would known it was WAY unbalance to begin with. They must have used absolute newbies who didn't even know how to perform special moves to test multiplayer.

Find a real argument against it, not something as stupid as it was put in there to defend against heavy stance thats rediculous in itself.
 Bacon00
04-15-2002, 8:47 PM
Now you're just ranting about the game and the big-bad game developer.

I'm not even dignifying these idiotic remarks with an argument. I'm sorry, but you're just here to piss and scream about the "terrible" game.
 forethought
04-15-2002, 8:48 PM
I disagree, I use it occasionally to spice up the duel, and I also use it against the Heavy Stance One Hit One Kill wh*ores, as it teaches them a lesson.

I hope that in the patch they give the server admins the option on which Force Powers they want to allow, and under what circumstances (normal gameplay and/or duels), and also to have these options listed under Server Info so people know the specifics about the server they join.

Edit: Aren't the lightsaber stances based on Force points, so if you weren't allowed to use the Force, does that mean you would only be able to use the Medium Style? (I always make sure my lightsaber offense and defense points are maxxed out, so I don't know if this is the case or not)
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 8:50 PM
The moment someone uses it in multiplayer full force its a BEACON SIGN for push, the only thing its good for is nailing somone running away, and there pull for that.

Dont even let me bring up dark side forces either, dark side can trash a saber throwing faster then anything. After he throws his saber it only takes half the amount of drain to drain him because saber throw uses up so much force. I chase saber throwers around because they are the easiest kills.

The only problem is in a duel where you have suddenly been stipped of ALL forces, and you dont use saber throw and your suddenly stuck in a duel against a mofo whose got a Huge advantage over you because YES its usefull in a duel because suddenly your opponent doesn't have a thing to go on but his skill, but you can't attack at all because hes just waiting to use saber throw.

My god.
 Bacon00
04-15-2002, 8:51 PM
You're "petition" is going down the crapper, FYI.
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 8:53 PM
Once again another idiot whose run out of words resorts to name calling. Any you can consider yourself a stupid person for grouping me as a "TERRIBLE GAME" ranter.

Im not. You confronted me on a issue i hold near and dear to my heart and you got owned. So i would shut the **** up and sit the **** down.
 Bacon00
04-15-2002, 8:54 PM
Nice swear words.

Demonstrates your superior intelect.
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 8:54 PM
btw i respect peoples opinions and their right to have them. But you sir are a troll and not a very good one at that.
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 8:56 PM
superior intellect? Where did that one come from?

I curse, its a way of life for me, but i take personaly pleasure in calling you a ****ing retard.
 Bacon00
04-15-2002, 8:57 PM
Thank you kindly, sir.

But being a hypocritical monkey isn't making me change my opinion about this "matter" you hold "dear and true" to your heart. Quite frankly, that's a bit too nerdy and geeky for me to handle at the moment, and it will take some time for me to overcome the laughter.
 forethought
04-15-2002, 8:57 PM
Seriously, calm down before you have a friggin' aneurysm...

If you're pouting because you can't attack someone in a duel with your heavy stance to use your n00b one-hit-one-kill move, then friggin' learn a different style!

Seriously though, you sound like you can't take rejection or criticism at all...why did you even start this thread?
 Bacon00
04-15-2002, 8:59 PM
Agreed.
 VeKToR
04-15-2002, 9:01 PM
Did you know that using a lightsaber is difficult without the force? Read it up, I'm sure it says that somewhere, possibly in a Corran Horn book.
 Azraelt
04-15-2002, 9:01 PM
Personally I love to use saber throwing all the time, it's a great way to use the light saber, I would hate it is taken out, you just need to know how to avoid it. It makes you more aware, and instead of just sitting there like statue, you can move, and counter attack while their defences are down. It's a great aspect of the game.
I whole heartly vote NO.
You know, it would be alot easier to tally the votes in this "petition" if you had a poll.
Personally I believe this entire post about taking it out is stupid, and it was a stupid suggestion to make. Why can't people just leave things alone? Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean others don't like it either. I hate the rocket launcher, but alot of people like it. So what? Deal with it.
 Territo
04-15-2002, 9:04 PM
Saber throw should definitly be taken out in duels during FFA. If you could use other force powers during it then it would be perfectly fine but since you can't its a one sided deal. If one person has saber throw and the other doesn't he will most likely win. If you are a decent player you can EASILY run circles around people without getting hit and throw the saber in the meantime. Someone posted earlier that saber throw is the only counter to the heavy stance which is not true at all. If your fast enough with medium or fast you can get in hits and win. :lsduel:
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 9:05 PM
light only buddy, and i hope you people realise im talking about ffa DUELS not the whole game.

there are more then enough good people out there who use light, your just to busy complaining about the heavy stance all the time.
 Bacon00
04-15-2002, 9:10 PM
And you're just too busy inventing stuff to whine about.

You don't want to accept the FACT that it's left in "no force duels" to counter heavy stance. I don't care if you don't like heavy stance, I don't care if you don't like throw. It's there to make heavy swingers think twice about lifting their arms up for all to slice. Without it, you'd have to get close to a heavy swinger to inflict any damage.. and you DON'T want to get close to heavy swingers.

Calm down and listen to my argument before you start calling me names again, please.. it's frustrating when you do that.

And there is already a way to take it out.. just set force recarge really, really high so that you don't get more than like 2 throws (or 2 jumps for that matter).

Keep it in duels I say.
 S!TH!NAT0R
04-15-2002, 9:16 PM
I agree with Bacons last 10 replies-LOL!:p :rolleyes: :eek: :p
-Saber-Throw is a necessary skill just like any other move during duels. Hey, while your at it ya Freakin' Einstien....why dont you start a pole to remove the Strong-Stanced 1 hit kill moves too!?:rolleyes:
-I am sick and tired of you peeps whining about things inJK][ that YOU don't seem to like because you suck bad. Other than that, alot of members here have posted some pretty good valid arguments of aspects of MP that need Ravens attention bad!!;) :D
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 9:19 PM
it should be completely taken out of FFA dueling.

even 2 hits is more then enough to offset the duel's balance more then enough.

Now if i played no force TEAM DM or no force DUELING where EVERYONE gets it...its not a problem.

But in FFA Duels not everyone has it, and its a major disadvantage. And all you want to do is get a nice duel in a couple times during your FFA game, and you don't EVEN get that.
 Plan9
04-15-2002, 9:20 PM
I think people REALLY, REALLY need to read a whole post before replying. He is ONLY talking about removing it from FFA DUELS. Dang people, he never once said he wanted it out of the whole game. As it stands, its just something that is really annoying in duels. I believe the only reason you are allowed to use it in duels as its grouped in the category with both lightsaber offense and defense, and therefore isn't counted as a real 'force power'.

I can live with it in duels, its just something thats really annoying, seeing as its the only force power that can be used. Obviously in duels people are going to have full force, and it just encourages them to backpedal and throw their lightsaber over, and over, and over again.

And Bacon00: I read your arguements, I'm calm, and I still think you're an idiot. I think that it was an oversight being left in, and something that was not properly tested. Again thats not FACT (you are far too quick to claim your opinions as such), but just my opinion. I think it'd be nice to be removed from duels; but it wont kill me if its not.
 Bacon00
04-15-2002, 9:21 PM
Once again, agreed.

Please, don't take this personally. You posted this topic, and you should be able to accept the arguments. If you can't handle it, don't post.

True, my first post was kind of hostile, but I didn't intend it to be. I shouldn't have said "dumb" petition.. I ment to say "useless" or "not needed."

But I kinda doubt that's why you started a mini-flame war.
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 9:22 PM
Yes i suck bad because I enter a duel and suddenly get stuck with a constant saber thrower and have NO defense against it accept crouching or looking down. You are a moron as if that wasn't already painfully obvious by your use of general statements that are COMPLETELY wrong.
 Azraelt
04-15-2002, 9:24 PM
Ok so what, everyone doesn't have that. Too bad, people choose what they want to use. I know you cannot use any other force powers in dueling, other then force jump and saber throw. Hey, you know what, sometimes a heavy stand saber hit knocks me down. I don't think that is fair since, I use medium and I can't do that. Should we take that out? I know I have the option to change to that stance, but I don't like to use it and I am not good with it. It's the same thing.

Oh and you have a defence against saber throwing... it's called moving, counter attacking, changing to a stance that can deflect the shot. Saber throw is so easy to counter, I am at risk each time I use it. It's balanced out. You can get some great hits in with it, but you can also take some serious hits. I have been in duels with examples of both scenarios.
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 9:25 PM
yo i didnt start a hostile petition. I get out of a game were as usually my dueling experience during a FFA gets COMPLETLY ruined, and post a rather valid argument. Although its miniscule its definately HAS way more subtsance then 99% of the posts on this board.

Your the one that got hostile, and personally i enjoy arguments, you just happened to start this one. You might want to think twice about your word choice. I know you don't go around all day calling other peoples ideas dumb if you did im sure you would learn pretty soon that **** dont fly.
 ArtifeX
04-15-2002, 9:27 PM
Originally posted by zufuss
Yes i suck bad because I enter a duel and suddenly get stuck with a constant saber thrower and have NO defense against it accept crouching or looking down. You are a moron as if that wasn't already painfully obvious by your use of general statements that are COMPLETELY wrong.

Sorry man, gonna have to go with Bacon00 on this one. Saber throwing is far from useless and needs to be in ffa duels. If you don't like it, you can always go find a nf duel server.

Here's a thought: if you don't have saber throw yourself, try not accepting the duel challenge. wow. that was hard.
 OOO
04-15-2002, 9:27 PM
I vote a big NO!

You DO realize that without his saber, a saberist is 100% vulnerable to any and all incoming fire from guns and other sabers.

When a guy throws his saber at you, he has kindly DISARMED himself for you :)

OOO
 funkyeire
04-15-2002, 9:28 PM
this seems to have gone to ****, but for the
record, i'd vote no
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 9:29 PM
Yea if i get griped, sure i dont have that. But i have absorb. I have push. I have things to counter it. When i go into Duel mode in a FFA game i get jack ****. Its was a complete imbalance put into the game, and maybe its miniscule, but it be a fast fix and would go along way with other people who agree as i do.

Sure they know about the big stuff, but they still should listen to other problems.

As if they don't know they have a problem with heavy stance already. If it wasnt a issue in beta, they sure as hell know its a big problem now.
 Con. Snake
04-15-2002, 9:30 PM
Please.
 Bacon00
04-15-2002, 9:31 PM
Sorry for the multiple posts..

but plan, I believe that you are too ignorant to accept that people's arguments may be based in facts. And please wait before you hit that reply button to cuss me out. Read on.

If you didn't have saber throw in FFA duels (which I know he's been talking about the entire time. Perhaps you should read the entire posts?), the heavy stance people would be able to attack unmolested, without any concequences for their one-hit kills.

With throw on, you can counter this massive attack. It's only logical, and I bet you $100 if you asked Raven, they would say that FFA duel saber throw was left in for this balancing reason. It makes perfect sense, is logical, and balances the game very, very well.

People complain about no balance, but when they are presented with a prime example of it, they start spittin' piss about how their one-hit attacks don't work all the time. Granted, that's not the main argument here, but that's why throw is left it. And if you are a half decent duelist, you will discover that throw's are very easily blocked, and leave the enemy open to a counter attack. No Force duels also have force jumping - should we take that out too?

You people are too quick to judge this as being a mistake. Just because it defeats you on occasion doesn't mean it should be taken out. People believe that they should win ALL THE TIME, and that if they die, there's something wrong with the game. That seems to be the general vibe I get from this post, anyway.

And do you really think for one moment that they didn't know they were programming saber throw into FFA duels? They didn't just accidentally "leave it in." It has to be coded in.. stuff doesn't just magically appear in the games. Every little detail is coded, discussed, and talked about.

And please, let's grow up and discuss this with a bit of matureness.. calling me an idiot right off the bat doesn't make me want to calmly discuss the matter with you.
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 9:32 PM
It plays no part in Duels in FFA mode. It may play a part to you in other aspects but within Duel itself it has NO place. Like I said before there is no balancing out, if i dont have saber throw and hes a saber throw *****...im off in a bad way, with NOTHING to counter it.

At least in noforce mode everyone has saber throw.
 forethought
04-15-2002, 9:32 PM
Dude, if someone throws a saber at you you either:

1. Move to the side
2. Stand and block it
3. JUMP (either straight up, back, to either side, or *shocking tactic* AT THEM!)

There are ways of avoiding a saber throw. Just because you can't get around them don't go crying about having it removed from duels. If you don't like the way someone fights in a duel DON'T ACCEPT THE DAMN CHALLENGE!

Are we even thinking when we post here, or is it a spur-of-the-moment-I'm-in-a-pissy-mood type thing?
 Bacon00
04-15-2002, 9:34 PM
Zufuss, I pretty much just apologized for being hostile. But it seems that you can't accept this and want to keep the flame war going.

What do I say to that?

Bring it on, I could use a good laugh.
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 9:35 PM
Im not talking about the "sit around and watch it fly at me" throw.

You get in close start attacking and since at close distance you cant really tell if hes saber throwing anyway he suddenly slices you 3x and you like wtf. Meanwhile you take a step back and all thsi time his force has been regenerating and hes got another 2 throws locked and stocked and ready to send hurling at you the moment you swing at him from 2 feet away.
 Bacon00
04-15-2002, 9:37 PM
Once again, sorry for the multiple posts.

Zufuss.. are you telling me throws are unblockable?

What do you use your force points on?? Put some on defense... saber throws RARELY hit if you have any clue what you're doing.

Go back and read my big long post... especially the part about people thinking there's something wrong with the game whenever they die (aka screw up aka suck).
 Azraelt
04-15-2002, 9:38 PM
Exactly, a number of people(including myself) have stated several times that there are numerous ways to counter the saber throw, that are so simple. And yet you continue to say there is no counter. Are you actually reading these replies, or do you just continue to make baseless assertions?
 D66
04-15-2002, 9:38 PM
Bacon00

All I have to say is... Dead on 100%

Bravo!!!
 forethought
04-15-2002, 9:39 PM
Im not talking about the "sit around and watch it fly at me" throw.

You get in close start attacking and since at close distance you cant really tell if hes saber throwing anyway he suddenly slices you 3x and you like wtf. Meanwhile you take a step back and all thsi time his force has been regenerating and hes got another 2 throws locked and stocked and ready to send hurling at you the moment you swing at him from 2 feet away.

Uh...how about throw yours back at him, since he's defenseless until he gets his saber back.

If you're that close, why don't you try to roll past your opponent in an attempt to get behind him and circle strafe/hack ths sh!t outta him?

It is becoming apparent that you don't know how to duel very well in the first place...
 Bacon00
04-15-2002, 9:40 PM
*gasps once again in horror at someone using something other than the left mouse button*

Dude, don't accept duels then. Don't stand so close to them. Throw yours at them. Jump up, kick them down, run away, don't give them time to regenerate force, etc. etc. etc. This is what I like to call a "duel." This may be a new term to you.

DUEL
**Please take a moment to contemplate it's 4 letters and complex meaning.*

There are so many ways to counter this move it's not even funny. You're just too intent on having the game changed and fitted to your exact liking, since you can't seem to figure it out the way it is.

Seriously, how long have you played? 1, 2 duels? I can't imagine anyone who's done 15+ would be whining about this.
 zufuss
04-15-2002, 9:45 PM
heh more then you can imagine. And the only problem ive ever had is with saber throw. Sure your gunna block it when you aren't attacking but he aint gunna throw untill you attack. Your only problem is you dont play enough to understand how duels are with this occurance.
 D66
04-15-2002, 9:51 PM
I AM SICK OF THIS
It's In The Game
DEAL
 forethought
04-15-2002, 9:55 PM
heh more then you can imagine.

Somehow I doubt that...

And the only problem ive ever had is with saber throw. Sure your gunna block it when you aren't attacking but he aint gunna throw untill you attack.

Here's a hint genius, DON'T ATTACK UNTIL YOU ARE RIGHT UP ON YOUR OPPONENT. Do you start your attack from ten feet away?
Then you deserved to get ripped a new one. I have played many, many duels, and I know how to deal with consistent saber throwers, heavy one-hit-one-kill users, etc. so I suggest you spend a little bit more time dueling and a lot less time b!tching.
Page: 1 of 3