Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Restricting Multiplayer Duel Weapons/Force Powers

Page: 2 of 3
 geronimo27
04-08-2002, 8:29 PM
What is the name of the floating sphere weapon that hovers over our shoulder, and can this be turned on in a server?
 Obi-Cyph
04-08-2002, 10:01 PM
I've got no idea if this little comment is going to help anyone, but on the first page where it lists all the force powers etc, as is in this quote

1 Heal [light]
2 Saber Throw
4 Speed
8 Push
16 Pull
32 Mind Trick [light]
64 Grip [dark]
128 Lightning [dark]
256 Dark Rage [dark]
512 Protect [light]
1024 Absorb [light]
2048 Team Heal
4096 Team Energize
8192 Drain [dark]
16384 Seeing

Its binary guys. As any programmer or someone doing networking w/ ip address allocation, custom subnetting or similar knows, binary goes from right to left, or, when reading it from left to right, highest to smallest.

16384 8192 4096 2048 1024 512 256 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

just a thought, dont know if it'll make any difference.

so, if we wanted all the usual nice neutral powers, our bitfield would actually look like this

thats saber throw, speed, push, pull (hurrah), which adds up to 30, in decimal

I just found it odd that no one had pointed out that binary goes from right to left, not left to right.
 MatrixCPA
04-08-2002, 10:13 PM
The problem isn't that people think it goes left to right or how to add up the value for each bit field. The problem is that when you set the value to disable specific force powers, it disables others that you didn't intend. I still believe it's just a bug and not that nobody can figure out how to set the value. Additionally, even if you only disable one force power, the server info still says "force disabled" and won't let you configure your force powers using the in-game gui. To make a change you need to leave, change them and come back.

*stare*
Looks like a bug.

*sniff*
Smells like a bug.

*crunch*
Tastes like a bug.
 Obi-Cyph
04-08-2002, 10:28 PM
Fair enough MatrixCPA, was just a thought anyway. :)
 MatrixCPA
04-08-2002, 10:57 PM
Oh, believe me...I'd love for someone to figure out a "workaround" to get it working. I think that we can use every admins support to either work on it or to let Raven/Lucas know that they've got a problem.
 CrimsonFury
04-08-2002, 11:27 PM
I was just on a CTF server with: sabres only, all powers disabled except jump + sabre powers (offense, defense + throw)

Server name: AusGamers Jedi Knight 2 #2 (its in Australia BTW)

IP Address 203.220.0.22:28075

I typed \clear in the console then \serverstatus and did a condump and heres what I got:

g_blueteam Rebellion
g_redteam Empire
g_weaponDisable 65531
g_forcePowerDisable 0
g_forceRegenTime 300
g_maxGameClients 0
capturelimit 10
sv_floodProtect 1
sv_maxPing 0
sv_minPing 0
sv_maxRate 6000
sv_maxclients 14
sv_hostname AusGamers Jedi Knight 2 #2
g_duelWeaponDisable 65531
g_forceBasedTeams 0
duel_fraglimit 1
g_maxForceRank 7
g_saberLocking 1
g_privateDuel 1
timelimit 20
fraglimit 40
dmflags 0
g_needpass 0
version JK2MP: v1.02a linux-i386 Mar 6 2002
g_maxHolocronCarry 3
g_gametype 7
protocol 15
mapname ctf_imperial
sv_privateClients 0
sv_allowAnonymous 0
sv_allowDownload 0
bot_minplayers 0
gamename basejk

As you can see its not done by g_forcepowerdisable. Hopefully I can get in contact with an admin of the server and find out how to do it.

When I went to the configure powers menu, it said Force level jedi master, and I was still able to select everything normally, but they didn't work ingame (same for everyone on the server).
 Soul-Burn
04-09-2002, 2:13 AM
Maybe a server-side mod?
 Obi-Cyph
04-09-2002, 3:22 AM
Originally posted by CrimsonFury
I was just on a CTF server with: sabres only, all powers disabled except jump + sabre powers (offense, defense + throw)

Server name: AusGamers Jedi Knight 2 #2 (its in Australia BTW)

IP Address 203.220.0.22:28075

I typed \clear in the console then \serverstatus and did a condump and heres what I got:

As you can see its not done by g_forcepowerdisable. Hopefully I can get in contact with an admin of the server and find out how to do it.

When I went to the configure powers menu, it said Force level jedi master, and I was still able to select everything normally, but they didn't work ingame (same for everyone on the server).

CrimsonFury - I'll have a talk to trog or term about it, as they would be the ones to talk to (the advantages of being admins of ausgamers, heh).
 D66
04-09-2002, 9:50 AM
g_forcePowerDisable 0

Maby I am missing something (New to Game server admin) But wouldn't that mean that they are NOT acomplishing it with the G_forcepowerdisable setting?

Please hurry with that reply from the Aussies... I would LOVE to know how this is done
 CrimsonFury
04-09-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by D66

Maby I am missing something (New to Game server admin) But wouldn't that mean that they are NOT acomplishing it with the G_forcepowerdisable setting?

I already said that in my last post :p
 Soul-Burn
04-09-2002, 1:25 PM
 D66
04-09-2002, 2:06 PM
SOul Burn... That might be a step in the right direction and is worthy of quoting here!
Is there a way to reset someones force powers when joining a server cause I think I figured out our problems with getting only certain powers in a game. I could use some input from some people on messing with things I guess. Go into the pk3 file and find a folder called ui\jk2mp and extract the file called menudef.h and change these setting like this
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_HEAL 0 <-- was 259 change it to 0 etc.
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_LEVITATION 260
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_SPEED 261
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_PUSH 262
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_PULL 263
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_TELEPATHY 0 <--
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_GRIP 0 <--
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_LIGHTNING 0 <--
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_RAGE 0 <--
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_PROTECT 0 <--
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_ABSORB 0 <--
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_TEAM_HEAL 0 <--
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_TEAM_FORCE 0 <--
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_DRAIN 0 <--
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_SEE 273
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_SABERATTACK 274
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_SABERDEFEND 275
#define UI_FORCE_RANK_SABERTHROW 276
Save the file and go back to the base directory and highlight the ui folder and make it into a winzip file with folder names and change the name to assets9.pk3 or any number but make it assets#.pk3. When you start the server you can have any rank you want but when the player goes to the choose forces config they will not see light/dark powers to choose from. The only problem that I am running into is if someone has light/dark powers turned on from a previous server and just hits esc at the choose your model screen then hits join they will still have any powers that they had from the previous game, unless you change the rank I guess not sure. You can just put 0's in front of any powers you dont want in the game in the description up above. Anyone want to help me out on this, could be a step in the right direction, this is tested on a pure server, I think thats why I would make the file called assets instead of something else but who knows. Or if you like I can send you the file and you can mess it

An entirely diffrent direction from G_forcepowerdiable... Diffrent enough to maby be right! I wonder what would happen if you apply the above .pak3 and ALSO set the force level to No force....
Could someone try this? I wont get home till late tonight
 billcow
04-09-2002, 4:58 PM
I don't think that's it.

If you look down that post a bit, it was said that it's the exact opposite of what CrimsonFury said it was on this server:
According to CrimsonFury:

however, on the other post, by Valdarious:

The only problem that I am running into is if someone has light/dark powers turned on from a previous server and just hits esc at the choose your model screen then hits join they will still have any powers that they had from the previous game, unless you change the rank I guess not sure.

In other words, on the Australian server, the GUI was normal, but the powers were disabled in the game, but Valdarious' method restricts the GUI, but the game is normal.
 Valdarious
04-09-2002, 5:04 PM
We need to figure out what CrimsonFury finds out and combine his idea that he finds and mine together and it would probably work perfectly. Not able to choose and wouldnt work if they just used to the console to cheat their way through.
 Soul-Burn
04-09-2002, 7:53 PM
Does someone wanna fly with me to australia and get some answers?

muhahahahah :evil5:
 MatrixCPA
04-09-2002, 9:48 PM
My wife and I would love an Australian vacation. You gonna spring for the tix? ;)
 scoobz
04-10-2002, 5:00 AM
Heres another suggestion:

Instead of looking at conrolling the variables in FFA etc.... perhaps another angle might be to look at a modified HOLOCRON version.

You already have your seperate forces in there (not exactly sure how the saber throw and jumo go).... but if they are already standard - then take out the holocrons.

..... Just a thought???:frosty:
 Big_Bichano
04-11-2002, 2:18 AM
Any more info on this..

I know you guys are working hard... but it would be great to disable lightning.

Also has anyone noticed a hacked rcon cheat out there.
Example people being able to stop votes and change maps?
 XorKaya
04-11-2002, 4:29 AM
i've been on the ausgamers servers a few times... even emailed them myself about this very topic (unfortunately no replay :( )

the thing is... i joined the server one time and for some reason i had drain available to me :( not a good sign
 Teach
04-12-2002, 3:15 AM
As I was looking for console and config commands for my dedicated server I noticed that the original q3a had a gravity setting you could implement in your cfg. Adjusting the gravity setting should simulate the force jumps. I realize this method would not be dependent on available force pts. but it may be a temporary work around for the jump, obviously this helps the saber in no way at all.

I too eagerly await a way to put the kabosh on that lightning crap!
 dustoff
04-12-2002, 3:34 AM
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to spend trying to make this work, and a couple of weeks ago I gave up on it as a bug.

I've finally gotten around to uploading my g_forcePowerDisable and g_weaponDisable calculator at http://www.jedi-outcast.com/filebase_details.php?f_id=59)

I'd like some other minds to pick it apart and make sure that it works, at least as well as we know how at this point in time, and if anyone has comments to add, please let me know

Eventually we'll be porting this to C so everyone can use it.

--
Dustoff
 scoobz
04-12-2002, 2:19 PM
Even though you have made this calculator - don't we stil have the same problem that we lose Force Jump and Saber Throw whenever we restrict other forces??
 dustoff
04-12-2002, 2:52 PM
Err, yes. this thing isn't going to majikally fix problems in the game. If/when this bug is fixed, or we figure out what the hell is really going on, it'll be updated to reflect any changes.
 famine123
04-13-2002, 12:02 AM
This may be nothing but has anyone looked at the correlation between the bit #'s everyone is refering to (for weapons and force powers) and what the dedicatid server is reporting? What I mean is I am watching the DOS window show the following
"Kill 1_5_16:Desann killed shadow trooper withMOD_FLECHETTE"
"Kill 0_1_3:Jan killed Desann with MOD_SABER"

this equals out to " killer_killed_object killed by.

I know VERY little about programming but could there be a way to modify powers by finding this connection?

MOD_FORCE_DARK = 27
MOD_SABER = 3
MOD_FLECHETTE = 16
MOD_SENTRY = 28
MOD_FALLING = 34

Sorry if this not relevent
 Jman3ooo
04-13-2002, 1:50 PM
There is a slight way around losing force jump

Set the gravity lower with:

G_Gravity #

800 is default

Still cant fix Saber Throw tho
 worm777
04-14-2002, 2:16 AM
ok...ive tryed just about everything to only get jump saber throw push and pull to work with eliminating all the gay force powers....and ive come to one conclusion......this part of the game is FAHQED!!!! please someone fix this before carnage happens at the ravensoft company!!!! love,
Jay and Silent Bob

:mob:
 CRCError
04-16-2002, 4:58 AM
Hey all!

I've been doing some looking into the "bitfield" for disabling certain force powers and this is what I have come up with...

First I want to refer to an earlier post where someone found the "Internal Names" of the force powers in one of the PK3 files.

Now - suppose we build a bit register from *that* data:

1 UI_FORCE_RANK_HEAL
2 UI_FORCE_RANK_LEVITATION
4 UI_FORCE_RANK_SPEED
8 UI_FORCE_RANK_PUSH
16 UI_FORCE_RANK_PULL
32 UI_FORCE_RANK_TELEPATHY
64 UI_FORCE_RANK_GRIP
128 UI_FORCE_RANK_LIGHTNING
256 UI_FORCE_RANK_RAGE
512 UI_FORCE_RANK_PROTECT
1024 UI_FORCE_RANK_ABSORB
2048 UI_FORCE_RANK_TEAM_HEAL
4096 UI_FORCE_RANK_TEAM_FORCE
8192 UI_FORCE_RANK_DRAIN
16384 UI_FORCE_RANK_SEE
32768 UI_FORCE_RANK_SABERATTACK
65536 UI_FORCE_RANK_SABERDEFEND
131072 UI_FORCE_RANK_SABERTHROW

Granted I am taking a liberty here in assigning a bit value to SaberAttack, SaberDefend, and SaberThrow. I am wondering if it stands to reason that Raven *may* have included these as "Force Abilities" and that is part of the confusion of what is wrong.

Here is my theory, if you will:

The largest number you can store in "2 bytes" is 65536 (Or 65535 if you count ZERO as a value.) That would include ALL the force abilities on the table above EXCEPT SaberThrow, as that would need a 3rd byte to store that information. This might explain why no matter what you do - throwing is disabled... there is simply NO room in the register for it's value.

Now - to address values above 32767.... That in binary is 11111111 11111111 which can represent all the force powers in the above list to Seeing.

The only 2 left are SaberAttack and SaberDefend - There is room in 2 bytes to store this data - BUT - What if there was something in the game that *automatically* ensured Jump, SaberAttack and SaberDefend were set to a predefined level when force powers are set to *off*. Which incidently JK2 thinks is the fact when any forcepower has been disallowed through g_ForceDisable. Just the simple fact that Jump gets set to the First Rank even with "Force Off" - If Force abilities were *truly* off, you would not even get Jump. (Like JK2 Single Player at the begining of the game.)

Now I can be completely wrong here - but unless Raven actually says something or someone digs through the PK3's some more we may not know the actual method of setting these values. IE Values inherantly overridden by a gametype flag or other setting.

One thing I can say for certain is if this is not addressed in a patch - someone needs to author a Mod when the SDK comes out.

When that happens I would suggest someone make each force power an individual variable like:

FORCE_HEAL = 0
FORCE_JUMP = 1
FORCE_SPEED = 1
FORCE_PUSH = 1
FORCE_PULL = 1
FORCE_MINDTRICK = 0

Etc... etc...

Also - an interesting point or two - In Holocron games I have YET to see a Holocron for SaberAttack and SaberDefense... In fact I don't recall seeing a SaberThrow Holocron either, but I've not played much of that game type. Gotta look into that one I guess...

CRCError
 scoobz
04-16-2002, 7:34 AM
Originally posted by CRCError
Also - an interesting point or two - In Holocron games I have YET to see a Holocron for SaberAttack and SaberDefense... In fact I don't recall seeing a SaberThrow Holocron either...CRCError
Just to confirm - I was running a Holocron game the other night, and I did find the holocron for SaberThrow, SaberJump and SaberDefense (not sure about Attack).
And as for the rest, it's still too early for me to digest and compute the data :)
Just hook me up to a "serial IV" ;)
 [KWA]SaVAgE
04-16-2002, 5:17 PM
BUMP this is still important
 spiny
04-16-2002, 6:24 PM
I agree, RAVEN, are you listening?
 [KWA]SaVAgE
04-18-2002, 2:23 PM
BUMP

i hate drain and absorb punks

we need this !!!!
 TheDarkSide
04-18-2002, 2:56 PM
but it seems to me a good place to start looking would be where the "duel engagement" occurs in FFA. I'm not sure if there are any references in the .cfgs to this part of the gameplay, but essentially, if the disableforcepower var is broken, they DID get this gametype within a gametype to work somehow. All you have is sab throw, jump and nothing else. If you can figure out how the duel challenge system eliminates all force powers but jump and sab throw, then that will probably provide the key. Just a thought.

TDS
 dustoff
04-18-2002, 5:34 PM
Well, after a long (3 hour) discussion with Trog from AusGamers regarding his servers, and a teardown of the server configs, I have only one conclusion to draw.

Trog has not intentionally disabled any force powers - he said this several times. What's happening on the AusGamers servers appears to be an accident.

Even using their configs and cvars I cannot duplicate what is going on with his servers, so the only logical conclusion that I can draw here is that this is all a bug.

It'd be nice if more servers would be affected this way by the bug, tho.

Raven, can you at least acknowledge that there is a problem here? Please?
 TheBru
04-18-2002, 6:22 PM
I had my server running it accidentally as well the other day. I started running my TFFA and CTF servers with limited guns (blasters, crossbow, disruptor, and explosives). The first time I connected to it and selected one of the prefabs for force powers (defender I believe) I noticed I had only the neutral force powers in the game. I was kind of suprised since I thought I'd picked a prefab with mostly light side powers. However, as soon as I went to the Player screen and reconfigured my force powers they all came back, and I wasn't able to revert back to the neutral powers only setup again.

To me this reeks of a bug.
 [KWA]SaVAgE
04-20-2002, 10:32 AM
-=bump=-

The Drain/absorb punks are ruining my server :(

207.54.131.198 Killing With Authority & KopyK@tz JK II
 Shamino
04-21-2002, 4:54 AM
in the meantime, for my server, I brought the jedi rank down to "4" so that those who decide to use lightning, grip, or drain will not have very much power in the saber areas and are quickly dispatched by capable saber fighters....

though in maps with pits and chasms, they can still cause harm... very frustrating...
 Britannic
04-21-2002, 1:03 PM
On my duel server (208.176.94.125:28070) I have all the force powers disabled. I'd like to enable jumping and saber abilities. But as we've seen the bug makes that prohibitive. I'd rather have no powers than any of the annoying ones I don't want just to be able to keep jump and throw. That's just my opinion, but it seems to be one all the people who play on my server agree with.

But, I do hope Raven releases a fix soon. By the way, on another thread someone mentions that Raven is aware of this problem and is working to solve it. They sent Raven an email and Raven replied to them :D, unlike LucasArts which has ignored many plaintive emails for a fix :(.

Cheers,
Brit
 Mr_Sharky
04-22-2002, 2:53 PM
If you open up the assets0.pk3 and look at one of the bot files there's a little info on the force powers assigned to each bot and it looks like this:
//don't exceed 20 force points total
forceinfo 7-2-033210232000021323
// hlspptglrpattdssss
// eepuueriarbeereaaa
// aveslliggosaaaebbb
// l ehlephetommi eee
// d t erhfn rrr
// n cbeo adt
// i t ar teh
// n lc tfr
// g e aeo
// cnw
// kd
//rank-side-heal.lev.speed.push.pull.tele.grip.lightning.rage. protect.absorb.teamheal.teamforce.drain.see.sabera ttack.saberdefend.saberthrow
//1==light side 2==dark side
I don't know if this helps but it seems to show the bitfield and the powers that are assigned to each bit.
 Ochropyra
04-29-2002, 11:06 AM
Any news?

Drain and Heal ruins MP. :(
 Mr_Sharky
04-29-2002, 11:48 AM
heh I tried disable_MOD_FORCE_HEAL 1 like you do for items but that didn't work... :p
 MatrixCPA
04-29-2002, 12:02 PM
Close but no cigar. ;)
 yrean
05-03-2002, 3:25 AM
im sure people are sick of this post still being around...but since there is no fix yet and i feel this is hella important to the community..im gonna bump it back to the top of the list........I hear they are working for a fix but supposedly its not an easy one for them.....whatever raven....this should of been thought of before it was released...its called testing guys...jezzz....
 DeathsHead
05-03-2002, 4:34 PM
the fix for this better be in the patch they release this week or I am gonna raise hell
 jk2eservers
05-03-2002, 5:58 PM
Originally posted by DeathsHead
the fix for this better be in the patch they release this week or I am gonna raise hell

Damn, took me 30 minutes to read through this post, and still no fix, dissapointed :p

Anyhow, I agree with DeathsHead.

-r00t3d
 JediGhost[SITH]
05-03-2002, 6:31 PM
QUESTION:

If we do find a way to disable specific force powers, will the game loading screen say "No Force Powers", and the player menu say Force Disabled, BUT your forces still work, except for the ones disabled?

or will it load normally, allow cfging of forces, but the force powers we disable just won't work?

If we do fix this and the people can't change their force powers, and only their original ones will work... Isn't it kind of useless?
:confused:

(Personally I'm hoping they can still change their force powers.. But the ones we disable will say "DISABLED" on them or something.. I don't want newbies running around asking why their lightning won't work..)
 MatrixCPA
05-03-2002, 6:53 PM
Heh, odds are they are going to ask why it says "disabled" at a minimum. Then bitch about it.
 JediGhost[SITH]
05-03-2002, 8:14 PM
Well I plan on only disabling lightning... If any1 wants to bitch and moan about it, then get the hell off the server.. :)
 yrean
05-04-2002, 9:48 AM
i only want to be able to enable force jump and saber throw....everything else will be off...they dont like it let them goto a drain and heal server for all i care...
 TheDarkSide
05-07-2002, 12:28 PM
Okay guys, with the new patch out, time to determine if they fixed the variable!

Anybody up for the task...

oh yeah...BUMP! :)

TDS
 THUNORWULF
05-07-2002, 1:09 PM
Ok,

So I have no clue about any of the binary programming stuff so I'm just gonna make a wishlist :D

ALL force powers OFF except:

Push = 3
Pull = 3
Attack = 3
Defend = 3

and get rid of that annoying saber throw so spamming saber throw n00bs can't use it....

Ok, thats my wishlist :)

feel free to e-mail me if you get something!!

thunorwulf@hotmail.com
Page: 2 of 3