Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Q3:A Editing Problem Already

Page: 1 of 1
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-04-2001, 6:40 PM
"Your room should now have three textures: one on the ceiling, a different one on the floor, and the four walls painted with a third texture." - <a href="http://quake3.qeradiant.com/q3afiles/creatroom.htm">This) Page</a>

Mine doesn't. All three texturs are still on the floor. There is no ceiling or walls. Just the floor. At least I think it's the floor.

Any help for a n3wb Quake III: Arena editor?
 SithTexasDeath
06-04-2001, 7:40 PM
Go here qradiant newbie friend:www.planetquake.com/bubba)

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: Armand ]
 Wilhuf
06-04-2001, 7:45 PM
Be sure you first make the room brush hollow. Select the square brush and then press the make hollow button. That will create floor, walls, and ceiling. You can then texture them.
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-04-2001, 7:57 PM
Ok thanks. Trying it now...

I'll be back later if I encounter anything else that puzzles. ;)
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-04-2001, 8:33 PM
Oh cleaving was sooo much easier! :D
 Jedi_Killer
06-04-2001, 11:22 PM
Okay--time for some important rules of brush based editing for people knowledgeable of JK.

Okay--Hollow command is generally evil. It's in all the tutorials because its a simple way of making a room, but it causes problems with generating excess brushes. I'd reccomend staying away from it until you know what you are doing.

Basically you are building your level out of sector deletes. So you need brushes for the walls, one for the floor, one for the cieling, etc.
 Jedi_Killer
06-04-2001, 11:24 PM
And you can cleave in the editor too. You'll just have to get a little further into the tutorials to figure out which button cleaves.
 SithTexasDeath
06-05-2001, 5:34 AM
Kool I would suggest making your site newbie editor freindly. Making maps can be hard with uninformative tutorials Take a look at web page (http://www.planetquake.com/bubba) He has it set up so any one can learn to make maps. Its very informative. I Cant wait to see your site.I have a beta screenshot of My Duel of fates map for Rocket arena If you wanna check it out just let me know.
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-05-2001, 2:09 PM
Armand, that site is very useful. Hollowing doesn't seem that bad to me. Heh, but I've only made one room, so what do I know.
 Wilhuf
06-05-2001, 2:17 PM
Armand, how about post a screenshot of your Duel of the Fates level.
 Jedi_Killer
06-06-2001, 1:36 AM
Hollow something more complex than a cube and you'll see it does some weird things.
 SithTexasDeath
06-07-2001, 9:51 PM
I cant figure this ubb code out :mad:
 TegSkywalker
06-08-2001, 7:40 AM
Ki-Adi-Mundi, are you using GtkRadiant from http://www.3ddownloads.com/?file_id=147000)
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-08-2001, 1:10 PM
Yes, that is where I downloaded GtkRadiant from.
 Wilhuf
06-08-2001, 1:32 PM
I cant figure this ubb code out
Armand if you're trying to post an image, just press the IMAGE button below and fill in the blanks.
 SithTexasDeath
06-08-2001, 9:08 PM
Still cant Ill email it to some just email me www.troven@go.com)
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-09-2001, 2:48 AM
Yo Armand! Hit me with it!
 SithTexasDeath
06-10-2001, 12:33 AM
Did you get it?
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-10-2001, 12:42 AM
Didn't you forget to... well... attach the pic? Or what?
 SithTexasDeath
06-10-2001, 5:19 AM
I emailed it to
 bsbuckeye21
06-10-2001, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Killer:
<STRONG>Okay--Hollow command is generally evil. It's in all the tutorials because its a simple way of making a room, but it causes problems with generating excess brushes. I'd reccomend staying away from it until you know what you are doing.</STRONG>

Definately!

I was just going to post something about this until you did. :)

Really, one brush at a time is the only way to go.
 ed_silvergun
06-12-2001, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by Ki-Adi-Mundi:
<STRONG>Yes, that is where I downloaded GtkRadiant from.</STRONG>

The reason you might be running into problems is because the tutorial you are using is based on Q3Radiant rather than GTKRadiant. I don't know how much difference that makes - I'm a newbie Q3 editor myself - but perhaps the two are different. Anyone in the know care to tell us?

I also have a problem. When I've compiled my map, I go to boot it up in Q3, by going to the console and typing map mapname, where "mapname" is the name of the map I have just compiled. The game appears to find the map and says it's loading it, but then it just goes back to the main Q3 screen. I'm running Q3 v1.27g, and Q3Radiant v202. I used the fullvis command in the BSP menu in Radiant to compile my map. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Also, would it help getting Q3Build for compiling?

Dang it, I hate being a newbie at things. :(

[ June 12, 2001: Message edited by: ed_silvergun ]
 Wilhuf
06-12-2001, 4:53 PM
ed before issuing the map command, open the console and type

sv_pure 0

this will disable the pure server and will allow you to load your map.

Consult the FAQ-O-Matic (http://www.qeradiant.com/faq/fom-serve/cache/18.html)

[ June 12, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]
 ed_silvergun
06-12-2001, 5:24 PM
Cheers, Wilhuf. Come to think of it I knew that. Why I didn't think of trying that, I don't know. Oh well, back to my newbieness-ness. :)
 Archie
06-13-2001, 9:47 AM
The difference between GTKRadient and QERadient is not huge, if anything it's purely cosmetic, with a few bug fixes. Most tutorials are equally valid for either. GTKRadient is the "future" though, at least for Q3 Engine editing.
 ed_silvergun
06-13-2001, 1:07 PM
Okay, here's another one.

My map is very bright. I'm not sure why.

In <A HREF="http://quake3.qeradiant.com/q3afiles/creatroom.htm">Ricebug's) Creating a Room Tutorial</A> it says:
If you want, go ahead and compile the map to make sure that the flame looks realistic. If the map is showing up in fullbright mode, tap the tilde key (~) twice after it loads into the game.
Has it got something to do with this? The problem is, on British keyboards, the tilde is on the # key, which means I can only access it by pressing SHIFT. Any ideas?
 Jedi Howell
06-13-2001, 3:12 PM
My instinct says to press the US tilda button(to the left of the 1), but my brain says to press the 3 key(to the left of 4) without shift.

I suggest doing both. Electrical inputs on the keyboard may be like this:

1. key to the left of 1 outputs * for US

2. key to the left of 1 outputs * for UK

in which case the editor would interpret(sp?) the key to the left of 1 as the tilda no matter what the key is labeled...

or it may work like this:

1. key to the left of 1 outputs * for US

2. key to the left of 1 outputs x for UK

in which case you would press the 3 key, or the 3 key+SHIFT .

hth!

jh
 Wilhuf
06-13-2001, 3:16 PM
The map might be fullbright because it may not have been compiled with the fullvis option.

ed when you compile this map for the first time try the fullvis option. If that does not work, double check your project preferences and make sure the fullvis compile command includes parameters for compiling (-vis -light). They should be there by defualt, but somehow mine were hosed and I had to rebuild the parameters.

Another area to investigate is the map worldspawn entity. With no entities selected, hit the n key to call up entity properties and scroll down to the last entry. It should be the worldspawn entity. Look for a key: ambient
This will specify the overall minimum lighting for your level. You can use it to give your map an overall light brightness and color. There may be an entry there that causes your map to be fullbright. Although I doubt it since I believe the default is to have no ambient key.
 Archie
06-13-2001, 8:49 PM
Small maps are sometimes forced to fullbright mode by the compliler... Try adding more rooms or increasing the size of level. Wierd, but it works.
 ed_silvergun
06-14-2001, 9:48 AM
Thanks, guys. Archie's suggestion sounds like the one for me, as I tried most of the others already. I'll double-check the project preferences like Wilhuf suggested too, but I did compile the map with fullvis and I did check the ambient light with the worldspawn entity already.

As to the whole keyboard thing, well on UK keyboards the key to the left of 1 is the (`) key, which is used to bring the console down. The tilde (~) key is next to the (ENTER) button and is accessed by pressing (SHIFT)+(#). Now, my (SHIFT) button is bound to crouch in Quake III. So if I press it to access the tilde key, all that happens is my guy crouches down like he's got the squits. Which is all well and good, expect I'm trying to sort the lighting out on my map, not take a dump in the middle of my glorious four-walled box. :)

Well, I'll give all those suggestions a shot later today, and let you know how I do. Thanks for all the help.
 Wilhuf
06-14-2001, 11:50 AM
Yes I'd bet that adding more geometry to your map may help. I tried to compile a 'box map' my first time out and it simply wouldn't compile. I added in some arbitrary geometric detail, and the map compiled fine after that.
Page: 1 of 1