Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Visual effects...

Page: 1 of 1
 Jedi Howell
05-31-2001, 2:13 AM
Now, I want to make the specific topic very clear: Visual candy only. We have enough info on this to speculate reasonably accurately as to what it will look like, and what Q3 is capable of rendering, and what you think would look neat.

We don't have much info on how much the coding/engine is being changed as to mapping and such, but we should all have a basic idea of what we might want to do with JO.

Be sensible, but what do want things to look like? And also, what would you want to make that would look neat?

What kind of appearance should lightning have? How 'bout destruction if it's included. And I heard somewhere(maybe from myself) that the force should be shown as just a ripple. I think that would be awesome. What should happen if you fire a blaster? Acceleration/glow/kick? And the saber?

jh
 Boba Rhett
05-31-2001, 2:32 AM
I want a very advanced regional damage system. I'm talking like so good that you can shoot weapons out of peoples hands, blind enemies, shoot knee caps off, etc..
 Jedi Howell
05-31-2001, 2:37 AM
I heard something about that. GHOUL2, isn't it? How advanced is it?

jh
 Boba Rhett
05-31-2001, 2:42 AM
I don't know much about it. Anyone care to enlighten us on Ghoul2s capabilities?
 Bartolo_JCS
05-31-2001, 3:49 AM
yea sure, i'll dig up some links hold on
 Bartolo_JCS
05-31-2001, 3:53 AM
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screens/0,11105,913853-13,00.html) here's an image of what the ghoul system might look like, it basically makes things look more realistic. i.e. shot in arm, moves arm, etc. etc.
 GonkH8er
05-31-2001, 6:16 AM
i wonder what happens if you do a groin shot, like in SOF ;)
 Boba Rhett
05-31-2001, 5:02 PM
The troopers will complain that even with all the armor they are given they still don't get cups.
 Jedi Howell
05-31-2001, 6:28 PM
I couldn't tell what was going on! I could tell that you had shot him, but am I correct in thinking that he was shot in the shoulder? The blood is in the right place, the gun is aimed correctly, and the impact on the former soldier makes it look that way, but I can't be sure(my photoshop installation broke down, and I'm in the process of repairing it, so I couldn't get an up-close to see a bullet)

There would be a bullet, right? Cause it could be part of the pain skin things.

And why can't I rate you, Boba Rhett?

jh

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: Jedi Howell ]
 Boba Rhett
05-31-2001, 6:44 PM
I disabled mine. I don't like it. What's really the purpose of having it anyway? It'll just lead to fights between people/groups. :(
 Jedi Howell
05-31-2001, 6:47 PM
You can disable it? How?

jh
 Boba Rhett
06-01-2001, 8:02 PM
In your profile.
 Jedi Howell
06-01-2001, 8:40 PM
Thanks!

Did you see the pic where Kyle is running past a control panel and using a force power? Is he using F_lightning or F_push? Cause I heard something about push. Whats that blue stuff around the stormie.

jh
 Boba Rhett
06-01-2001, 8:52 PM
Maybe it's force pull. I don't know. :) Isn't there anyway you could shorten your sig r at least only include it every once and awhile? ;)
 Jedi Howell
06-01-2001, 10:25 PM
Sorry!

jh

[ June 01, 2001: Message edited by: Jedi Howell ]
 Jedi Howell
06-01-2001, 10:26 PM
I mean, sorry!

jh
 Boba Rhett
06-02-2001, 12:08 AM
Thanks Howell. :) Or should I call you Jedi?
 Jedi_Killer
06-02-2001, 12:35 AM
The main problem I see with Ghoul is the level of violence. Previous SW games are not all that gorey. Things like crotch shots and seeing guys spin when hit in the shoulder with a shotgun are entertaining, but I think they also add to the realism factor. Maybe something really toned down--like Rogue Spear with less blood.

But with any luck it will be able to be modified so that someone can included detachable limbs and stuff in a mod for MP.
 Jedi_Killer
06-02-2001, 12:39 AM
But as for things in the game--I want moving plants. Possibly the addition of grass. There just isn't enough of it in games, and I think the engine can handle it--at least in small quantities.
 Jedi Howell
06-02-2001, 1:14 AM
The name is Howell...Jedi Howell... :cool:

Call me jh, JH, Jedi, Howell, Jedi Howell, whatever you want.

Now, killer of my people, what is this about the goryness of things? I've never played anything that had more acurracy in body parts than a foot stomp(Oni, playing as one of the Furies). From the pic I saw(above), the GHOUL part added no extra gore, just a little(not very) punch to the shoulder to make the ex-soldier fall in a certain way. Where was the extra blood?

jh
 Jedi Howell
06-02-2001, 1:15 AM
And for a murderer of the good guys( :D ), why are you against gore, and a gardener? Seems like an odd hobby for a Jedi Killer.

But seriously, that would be really cool. What you need is grass that stands up, not the kind that is all texture and no dimensions. And so that it goes down when you step on it, and leaves footprints for a little while, and sways when there's a wind. And swaying trees!!!

jh

[ June 01, 2001: Message edited by: Jedi Howell ]
 DrIfTeR
06-02-2001, 6:56 AM
I would have to say no gore or blood maybe watching a limb fly away like in mots but SW gaes havent included it and it makes for faster frames,besides why would you want to se blood shoot out all the time unless your a goth ***.
 Archie
06-02-2001, 8:59 AM
Okay, whoever posted that screenshot from Return To Castle Wolfenstein is mistaken in assuming that it has anything to do with JKII, because Ghoul2 is in fact a Raven technology, not a Quake3 one. RTCW is being developed by Grey Matter, formely Xatrix, who made Kingpin if you remember, and they will have their own animation system.

Ghoul 2 on the other hand, if I remember correctely is actually pixel accurate, rather than bounding box or per-polygon. This means if you hit someone at a certain spot in the chest, the damage will appear exactly there, rather than in the "general chest area".

I'm not sure if if it still preset death animations or a correct inverse kinematics system (for instance, a body will slump over stairs, falling correctly to the laws of physics, rather than dyding, then having half the body just "floating" over the stairs). However it will be skeletely animated, so expect lots of variation in animation.

Phew... any questions?
 Jedi_Killer
06-02-2001, 7:25 PM
Okay maybe gore wasn't the right word--realism would have been better. In all the past games, they have always been careful to make the games semi-cartoony so that it never seemed like you were really killing anything. The exception to that would be like the 3% chance or so you had of detaching a limb in SP Jedi Knight.

I really don't care one way or another for the blood. But I did find it in useful in Half-Life since you could estimate the damage you did to someone from it. However, Star Wars has no blood in it and the game's are supposed to appeal to the same audience.
So I doubt they would be allowed to release a game with hyper-realistic effects including what happens when you hit someone with a flying bolt of plasma in the elbow.
 Nyghtfall
06-12-2001, 9:21 PM
In all my memory, I can only recall one instance in which we saw any blood in any of the Star Wars movies to date:

In ANH, Obi-Wan sliced the arm off of a creature that was hassling Luke. We see a closeup of the severed arm, at which point the camera pans to the left, where we see a little bit of blood spilled out of the point at which the arm was severed. To this day, I've wondered how Lucas got away with showing even that little bit, considering his target audience has always been children.

As much as I love gore and graphic violence, I just can't see it featured in future movies are games based on the Star Wars universe.
 ed_silvergun
06-13-2001, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Howell:
Now, I want to make the specific topic very clear: Visual candy only.

Well, on the subject of visual candy, I would like to see greater interactivity with the environments. The saber trials on the walls are a step in the right direction, but I would like to see environments where just about everything can be affected in some way.

We don't have much info on how much the coding/engine is being changed as to mapping and such, but we should all have a basic idea of what we might want to do with JO.

Yeah, you're right. They'd better release the source code or there'll be trouble!

What you need is grass that stands up, not the kind that is all texture and no dimensions. And so that it goes down when you step on it, and leaves footprints for a little while, and sways when there's a wind. And swaying trees!!!

Yeah, like I said, greater interactivity with the environment. The Quake III engine will let us do all this. For those of you keen to learn, check out <A HREF="http://quake3.qeradiant.com/q3afiles/leaves.htm">this) tutorial</A> which will show you how to create falling/blowing leaves and even tornado effects!

Originally posted by Nyghtfall:
In all my memory, I can only recall one instance in which we saw any blood in any of the Star Wars movies to date

There are a couple of others. In ESB, there's blood when Luke kills the wampa in the cave. In TPM, there's a spray of blood when Obi-Wan cuts Darth Maul in half. It's quite easy to miss, but if you slow the film down or go through it frame-by-frame, you can see it quite clearly.
Page: 1 of 1