Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Editing?

Page: 1 of 1
 CaptainRAVE
06-05-2001, 6:34 PM
isnt it a bit early??
 IceSaber
06-05-2001, 6:45 PM
If this were a completely new engine being built from scratch.. then perhaps it would be too early to start the ramp up of editing talk...

However, that being said, we know exactly what engine this game is going to use (Q3) and the resources that are going to be required (Radiant resources)... so no.. it's absolutely not too early to start talking about editing, the Radiant, and the potential of the Quake 3 engine...

If it's too early for you to start talking about editing.. then no one is forcing you to this forum... or is the force forcing you???? :eek:

Either way... it's clearly not too early at all... knowing the engine and the editor make all the difference... let the editing talk flow among us for those wanting to discuss it!

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: IceSaber ]
 Wilhuf
06-05-2001, 6:48 PM
True dat. It can take months to produce a quality multiplayer map with Radiant (or other editing tools). Let's get moving now.

Post links to good Radiant tutorials, examples, resources here (http://www.jediknightii.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000002)!)
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-05-2001, 11:22 PM
And that's exactly what I'm doing right now. :cool:
 Jedi_Killer
06-06-2001, 1:32 AM
Well the final level of Q3 was created in about 47 minutes apparently. I'm sure it took a couple days to compile but the actual construction isn't that time consuming.
 Archie
06-06-2001, 6:09 AM
It's a tiny deathmatch level, it's hardly got much architechture. And most of the making of level involves trial and improvement through playtesting.
 Wilhuf
06-06-2001, 1:01 PM
Yes, level construction shouldn't be that time consuming if you're an experienced id software level developer with years of experience.
 Jedi_Killer
06-07-2001, 5:57 AM
Most of the JK DM levels were all built in under a day--that's almost an afterthought on top of the game.

Playtesting is important to make a good level--but you generally have a good idea as to what works once you have made some levels and played some DM. When you are building on the professional skill level--it's generally an easier matter to just start a new level and trash what you have if it isn't fun to play on.
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-07-2001, 3:02 PM
Maybe I can hit it big with my q3 editing. :p

I wonder how long it took them to whip up Battleground Jedi.
 ed_silvergun
06-07-2001, 6:13 PM
Not long, I suspect. Once I'm done with exams, I'll have a pretty free summer to familiarise myself with Radiant and to start mapping for Q3 and EF. Hopefully, by the time JK II comes out, I'll be pretty conversent with the engine and the editing tools.
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-09-2001, 2:50 AM
Same here ed.

Have you downloaded Radiant yet and started working on it? If so, maybe we can help each other out with little editing problems that tutorials don't mention, and you don't want to take the time to figure out. heh
 ed_silvergun
06-12-2001, 9:45 AM
I finished exams yesterday, and I'm just about to download Radiant and get stuck into some tutorials.
 Wilhuf
06-12-2001, 12:40 PM
matt-windu wrote:
Why are you crafting levels when you don't know if they will be compatible with the engine? After all, it is "heavily modified."

Matt, I removed your post from the Radiant Resources thread since you didn't post any links as I had requested, and since the question belongs in this thread.

Why craft levels? For the experience. It's a gamble that Raven/LEC will in fact release a JORadiant (we've already talked about this issue here (http://www.jediknightii.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000003&p=).)

If the levels we make using Radiant are not compatible, at worst case we will have become familiar with Radiant, making it that much easier to develop compatible JKO levels with the tools that do ship with JKO.

Your point also reinforces one many of us have already made. Raven/LEC should tell us now if we can legally produce levels for JKO.
Page: 1 of 1