Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Walk/Run Reversal

Page: 1 of 1
 Aunvyrae
09-20-2011, 2:32 PM
So, this has bugged me for a while. I play KotoR and TSL almost exclusively with the mouse, only tapping the keyboard when it's the only option. I tend to recline in my chair a bit. And holding B to walk seems kind of messed up to me.

I prefer to walk, and hold a key to run instead.

So I worked up a fix. Not sure if anyone else has done this, but it's a simple change (I'm kind of embarassed I didn't think of it sooner!), but nevertheless, if anyone else has this monkey on their back, here is the fix.

Note: You will need KotoR Tool for this.

1. Go to your Override first, and look to see if "creaturespeed.2da" is in there. If it is, skip the next step and go to step 3.

2. Using KotoR Tool, go to the KotoR 2 section. BIFs -> 2da.bif -> creaturespeed.2da. Click Extract file and put it on your Desktop.

3. Now open the creaturespeed.2da on your desktop with KT.

4. The very top line should read "PC Movement". Go over to WalkRate and RunRate and just swap the numbers (1.70 <-> 5.40).

5. Click another area on the 2DA, in order to make the changes stick. Then go to File -> Save as 2DA v2.b. It should save to the Desktop.

6. Dump the new CreatureSpeed.2da into your KotoR 2 override folder. Now you hold B to run and walking is your normal mode of travel.

If there is already something about this, I apologize. The staff is free to delete it, of course. I just thought others with little modding knowledge my like this little add in.

I just prefer walking more, to prevent accidentally tripping traps, or from barging into stuff.

If the walking speed is a bit too slow, you can always just increase the #(1.70) to something like (2.00) or (2.50) to get it a bit faster.
 Aunvyrae
09-20-2011, 3:50 PM
Well that's not as good a fix as I thought. It worked okay for T3-M4 in the Prologue. But then I got to see it used on my character. And it's just slow motion running.

Would anyone know where I'd look to find a way to have it setup to always Walk, and the B key is changed to run instead? I'm sure there is a setting somewhere that would alter things.
 VarsityPuppet
09-20-2011, 6:46 PM
LOL running in slow motion.

Seriously though, a good idea and good executrion - even if it didn't turn out exactly right.

The only thing I can think of is checking out the appearance.2da. There are some columns walkdist, rundist, driveanimwalk, driveanimrun_pc and driveanimrun_xbox. Might not yield the results you're looking for, but still...
 newbiemodder
09-20-2011, 7:18 PM
Nice try....kind of like the idea. keep working on it.

Here's the all-time greatest slow motion runner. For all you youngsters out there not old enough to remember...this show was awesome:

http://youtu.be/OkxywaZUA7Y)
 Aunvyrae
09-20-2011, 8:36 PM
I suppose if nothing else it makes things more dramatic.

I doubt the appearance.2da thing would affect anything...BUT this might.

animations.2da has lines at the top for Walking and Running.

Walk_while_Injured
Walk_Stun_Baton
Walk_Single_Saber
Walk_Rifle
Walk_No_Weapon
Walk_Dual_Saber

With columns for Walking and Running. And a 0 if it's not for that, or 1 if it is.

What if I took the Walking ones, and put a 1 in Running, instead of Walking.
And did the opposite for the Running ones. Theoretically that should switch out the animations. Then using CreatureSpeed.2da to slow it up, it might work.

Just a theory at this point. But it could potentially work. Unless I'm misreading the purpose of this 2da.
Page: 1 of 1