Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mass Effect for PC!!

Page: 5 of 5
 Miltiades
06-15-2008, 6:19 PM
The interior of a lot of the bases on those side planets are indeed all the same. I think I have done about half of those sidequests, and it is really starting to bore me. The main quest is still very enjoyable, though.
 Bob Lion54
06-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Those problems aside, the game has been pretty fun so far (aside from all the armor options I've encountered being ugly :)). Seem to be mostly a paragon personality so far, don't now if that's going to cause any trouble. Some of the squad members seem to be a bit more renegade-ish in nature.
The game doesn't have an influence system like KotOR. You can be as Renegade or Paragon as you want and your crew will still be behind you. Even Wrex will love you if you go full Paragon. (Well, maybe not love, but definite respect.)

It pays to stick to either Paragon or Renegade. Try to get one of them as high as possible and ignore the other otherwise both your influence choices will be grayed out later on. In fact, later on in the game, there's an instance where you will need a high Charm or Intimidate score or you probably won't like the outcome.

There are two Romance possibilities for you. As a Female Shepard, you get Kaiden or Liara (Males get Ashley or Liara). The only time you can advance (or mess up) the romance plot is on board the Normandy, so in the field, do and say whatever you want.

The romance plots are easy. All you have to do is be nice to them. Whatever you do, don't tell them off or they will be... less than enthusiastic about getting to know you.

Character creation took a while to get a character who looked somewhat decent; you have to admire nature for getting it right so often. Very easy to make ugly or freakish faces. :) But it's still a shame you can't go back and tweak afterwards. It's hard to get a real impression of how the character will look in-game from the character generation preview.
I found out on my second attempt at creating a character that you can make them look up, down, left, and right by Right-Clicking and dragging the mouse in the appropriate direction. It really helps in making the face look "normal."

My first Shepard was pretty odd looking.

Anyway, you may have figured that out already since your post was a few days old, but if you haven't then I hope that helps.
 Da_Man_2423
06-15-2008, 11:02 PM
The interior of a lot of the bases on those side planets are indeed all the same. I think I have done about half of those sidequests, and it is really starting to bore me. The main quest is still very enjoyable, though.

Yeah, the same 2-3, maybe 4 areas, are all the same that they use for side-quests. Luckily, since I've played the game enough times with the same guy, he's maxed out level-wise (60), so I could really just focus on the main quest if I use him again for another playthrough.

I like the fact that Mass Effect 2 (and more than likely 3), will allow you to start a game with all the decisions you made from the previous game, if you load a saved person I guess.
 Tysyacha
06-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Is there a cheat code to make Shepard invincible?! Sorry for asking, but I uninstalled the game because I was so frustrated on Therum. :( --The World's Worst Gamer
 stoffe
06-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Is there a cheat code to make Shepard invincible?! Sorry for asking, but I uninstalled the game because I was so frustrated on Therum. :( --The World's Worst Gamer

Not that I am aware, but there is an armor with very high shield and protection values used by the QA people for testing. It has a pretty ugly model colored intensely yellow, but should help you get past tight spots. :)

You can get it by typing GiveSuperArmor in the console.
 Miltiades
06-16-2008, 5:45 PM
I can agree with you on the armors, stoffe. Ugly things. Especially those Onyx armors, I think it was?
 Q
06-16-2008, 6:43 PM
What is it with armors in scifi RPGs these days? Given the way you describe them, it sounds like they're right out of clown college along with the armors in TSL.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
06-16-2008, 8:36 PM
What is it with armors in scifi RPGs these days? Given the way you describe them, it sounds like they're right out of clown college along with the armors in TSL.The Super Armor stoffe mentioned before gives off serious bee vibes. The HK Shadow armors aren't bad looking though. Color-wise anyway.
 Miltiades
06-17-2008, 4:40 AM
Question about the Paragon & Renegade: what exactly are the downsides of either side and of having equal amount in both? If I choose to be peace-loving jerk, do I miss anything that I would have if I choose one side or another completely?
 mur'phon
06-17-2008, 4:43 AM
The amount you can raise charm/intimidate is determined by how paragon/renegade you are. Once again Bioware punishes us poor folks in the middle.
 Bob Lion54
06-17-2008, 4:54 AM
Question about the Paragon & Renegade: what exactly are the downsides of either side and of having equal amount in both? If I choose to be peace-loving jerk, do I miss anything that I would have if I choose one side or another completely?
There are no downsides either way you go. You want to make sure to always be "Paragon" towards your love interest, if you have one, but other than that, you you should stick to one side or the other.

At certain points in the game, you will "need" either a high Paragon or Renegade score. It doesn't matter which, but if you don't concentrate on one or the other, you will miss out on some dialog options. Two of them in particular are "game changing."

Honestly, you can get by being "gray," but its much better to chose a disposition and stick with it.

Once you get to 75% in either Renegade or Paragon, Admiral Hackett will contact you with a special mission. Renegades get one mission while Paragons get a different one. That's really the only difference except some quest require a higher score in Renegade or Paragon to have access to that influence dialog option.
 Miltiades
06-17-2008, 7:22 AM
There are no downsides either way you go. You want to make sure to always be "Paragon" towards your love interest, if you have one, but other than that, you you should stick to one side or the other. I figured out as much. :p

At certain points in the game, you will "need" either a high Paragon or Renegade score. It doesn't matter which, but if you don't concentrate on one or the other, you will miss out on some dialog options. Two of them in particular are "game changing." I can already imagine. I may have already encountered one of those... We'll see. I'd love to play a half-Renegade, half-Paragon character, but I don't wanna miss any dialog. Maybe something to test out later.

Once you get to 75% in either Renegade or Paragon, Admiral Hackett will contact you with a special mission. Renegades get one mission while Paragons get a different one. That's really the only difference except some quest require a higher score in Renegade or Paragon to have access to that influence dialog option. Yeah, I've done that already. Gets you a new class, too, or something.
 Lantzen
06-17-2008, 1:48 PM
Once you get to 75% in either Renegade or Paragon, Admiral Hackett will contact you with a special mission. Renegades get one mission while Paragons get a different one. That's really the only difference except some quest require a higher score in Renegade or Paragon to have access to that influence dialog option. This i have completly missed, and is it the same in xbox ? In that case, what quest is it ?
 mimartin
06-17-2008, 2:19 PM
This i have completly missed, and is it the same in xbox ? In that case, what quest is it ?
Yes, and the Renegade quest is more fun.

Also for all playing the game, be sure and play at least once as a colonist for what I consider the best quest in the game. Your back ground gives a different quest for each one. I’ve tried them all, but my repeated Shepard is a paragon colonist just for this quest. I personally don’t like the Renegade version of the quest for emotional reasons, but it is a shocking what BioWare allowed the PC to do. Very well done either way you go.

Yeah, I've done that already. Gets you a new class, too, or something. In the 360 version those quest don’t give you a new class. There is a new class received from a quest, but alignment does not have anything to do with it. It is tied to level. It is the quest with the homey view.
 Ctrl Alt Del
06-17-2008, 2:21 PM
^ Colonist quest? Hmm, I remember me, right? That was fun, but not the best quest, IMHO.
 Miltiades
06-17-2008, 7:53 PM
Are the Charm and Intimidate talents based on how much a Paragon or Renegade you are, or isn't it linked? I'm no playing a Paragon with high Charm, but if I want to play a Renegade with high charm, is that possible? I just ask because of the dialog options in the Romance plots and if having Intimidate as talent won't kill the romance?

I've always been a light side guy in the KotOR's and other RPG's, but here, I can't wait to start a Renegade character. Save the world in a non-orthodox way, that's how I like it. :)
 Pavlos
06-18-2008, 3:34 AM
Are the Charm and Intimidate talents based on how much a Paragon or Renegade you are, or isn't it linked? I'm no playing a Paragon with high Charm, but if I want to play a Renegade with high charm, is that possible? I just ask because of the dialog options in the Romance plots and if having Intimidate as talent won't kill the romance?
I think 'Charm' is generally not linked to Renegade choices so you'd probably be wasting your time putting points into it. But no, their success is not based on anything other than your skill rank from what I can see :).
 Lance Monance
06-18-2008, 7:22 AM
My character looks almost exactly like stoffe's avatar. :)

Got the game a few days ago and I love it. (That's usually the case with every new game I get for a couple of days. Then critical thought kicks in. :D)

The dialog system is great. Best there is. First RPG that made me turn off subtitles. The whole Mass effect universe is very well done too, there's so much background information available that I spend a lot of time reading through everything the codex has to offer.

The only thing that's annoying is the difficulty setting. I'd expect normal to be perfectly fine for a first time play through but it is not. Even though I took a vanguard and spread my skill points (thus not mastering anything) it's just too damned easy.
 Ctrl Alt Del
06-18-2008, 12:44 PM
it's just too damned easy.
Way more difficult than any previous Bioware game, though. And have you tried Insane?

Are the Charm and Intimidate talents based on how much a Paragon or Renegade you are, or isn't it linked? I'm no playing a Paragon with high Charm, but if I want to play a Renegade with high charm, is that possible?

Perfectly. There isn't any penalty, IIRC.
 mur'phon
06-18-2008, 1:44 PM
It would be pointless though, even if you want to "redeem" your char at the end you won't have the option of raising charm high enough.
 Titanius Anglesmith
06-18-2008, 4:18 PM
Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who likes the look of the default Shepard more than any customized look? :)

And I have a question about one of the achievements. I'm on my second playthrough, and I'm trying to get the Soldier Ally award. Is it possible to still get it without taking Ashley along on Noveria? I've had her in my party for just about every second I've been outside the Normandy so far, and I intend on keeping her with me through everything after Noveria.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
06-18-2008, 4:21 PM
 Titanius Anglesmith
06-18-2008, 4:25 PM
Thank you, but no. I want to earn the achievements, not give them to myself.
 Da_Man_2423
06-18-2008, 5:18 PM
Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who likes the look of the default Shepard more than any customized look? :)

I like the default look, mostly because I suck at coming up with anything that can resemble me.
 Miltiades
06-18-2008, 5:41 PM
I'm playing with the default Shepard in my first playthrough at the momentw, but since somewhere in the middle of the game, I completely hated his guts. And yes, it's the face. :p
 Lantzen
06-18-2008, 6:08 PM

I've always been a light side guy in the KotOR's and other RPG's, but here, I can't wait to start a Renegade character. Save the world in a non-orthodox way, that's how I like it. :) There ain't any charm/Intimidate options in the romance

It's best if you just keep her in the party whole the time. Think you need to complete 75% of the game with one of your allys, and that includes side quests. So if you do all side quest you can get the achivement long before you finish the game. But to be sure, keep her on the main quest planets since they count much towards the % completion of the game

And what a bounch of cheaters the PC users are, already a mod that give you all the achivements ^^ Personaly i just have two left on the xbox version, but im to lazzy to get them xD
 Ghost Down
06-19-2008, 5:23 AM
Any word when the patch will be released?
 Char Ell
06-19-2008, 10:34 AM
No word that I know of. I'm wondering if they'll include the patch as part of Bring Down the Sky. Chris Priestly did say (http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=636037&forum=125) BioWare is working out some technical issues with BDtS.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
06-19-2008, 12:13 PM
I hope they fix the shadows. I hate how the facial shadows look, and the only workaround for it just makes the engine render fewer shadows.
 Jedil3thal
06-19-2008, 12:46 PM
:DI only have it for 360!:xp:
 Lance Monance
06-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Way more difficult than any previous Bioware game, though. And have you tried Insane?

Nope, BG II was a lot harder. And no, haven't tried insane since it is my first playthrough. :)
 Miltiades
06-19-2008, 6:08 PM
Finished it! Took me about 40 hours, having done most quests. No spoilers, but decent ending to a good story. On to my second playthrough! :) Let's hope we have Bring Down the Sky soon.
 Char Ell
06-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Now that you've finished the game the question enquiring minds want an answer to is...

Did you ever get over your hatred of the default Shepherd's face? ;P
 Emperor Devon
06-20-2008, 3:43 AM
Finally got the blasted thing installed. After only six or so hours of trouble. Looks pretty fun so far, though I've not really played enough to make a solid judgment. Though I am rather irked telling various NPCs it's worth killing a thousand people to save a million or that operating outside the law is okay hasn't netted me many Renegade points (while being polite to Ashely Williams landed me with several Paragon ones).

Thought I'd go Renegade, as playing a villain who wants to save the galaxy is too tempting to pass up after the treatment evil chars have gotten in previous games. I've also named my character Lucifer Shepard... it's ridiculous, but it matches his appearance oh so well. <_<

Is it worth putting points into Charm if you're going Renegade, btw? I've got Intimidate maxed out, but there could always be some instances where that's not an option. (Pavlos said 'generally not linked' not 'never linked'. >_>)
 mur'phon
06-20-2008, 4:22 AM
I have yet to see an instance where you can't use both, so unless an expansion/mod changes that, there is no point.
 Miltiades
06-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Now that you've finished the game the question enquiring minds want an answer to is...

Did you ever get over your hatred of the default Shepherd's face? ;P
Not really, no. I had this one moment, almost at the end, where I thought he looked cool, but the scene afterwards made me roll my eyes in disgust. Definitely going for a custom appearance this time. :)
 Rogue Nine
06-20-2008, 10:45 PM
My Shepard has scars. Chicks dig scars. :devsmoke:
 Bob Lion54
06-21-2008, 12:36 AM
Is it worth putting points into Charm if you're going Renegade, btw? I've got Intimidate maxed out, but there could always be some instances where that's not an option. (Pavlos said 'generally not linked' not 'never linked'. >_>)

No, if you have an option to use Charm or Intimidate, you will have the option to use both. Some conversations will require a higher charm or intimidate to use that dialog option, though. If you maxed out Intimidate, then you're good. (Or not so good, whatever.)

My Shepard has scars. Chicks dig scars. :devsmoke:
Why am I suddenly reminded of Keanu Reeves?

Oh yea... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6E4Oy6pFKQ)

Sad to say, Keanu would have done a better job voice acting Shepard than the guy they got. I tried to play a Male Shepard, but the voice acting made it impossible for me to get very far.

I guess it doesn't help that Female Shepard is voiced by Jennifer Hale. She just makes the Male Shepard seem even that much worse because Jennifer Hale is awesome.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
06-21-2008, 1:30 AM
I wish she did her Bastila voice though :/

edit:

thank god someone has found a way to add new textures to mass effect. in the form of a nude mod. luckily, the modder wasn't xenophobic in the least and made sure to free liara of her shackles aka clothes.
 Jason Skywalker
06-21-2008, 6:29 AM
Lol, so they've done it already? :xp:

Still haven't gotten it but my PC can't handle the specs anyway so it's no biggie.
 Char Ell
06-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Sounds like BioWare's plan is to include the patch with the BDtS add-on

From BioWare technical producer Derek French (http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=636037&forum=125&sp=60)
We are working on both the update and the BDtS content. The current plan is to include the update in with the BDtS installer, as well as have the update available on its own.

None of this is final as we are still working on the final content and file sizes
 RC-1162
07-01-2008, 4:51 AM
I got this game a few days back and just installed it. However before i start playing, can anyone tell me if the devs have removed (or plan to) the 3-activation limit?
 Ztalker
07-01-2008, 4:55 AM
Just bought it as well.

I give it 9/10 in every possible thing, but there's one thing bothering me:

My character only uses pistols and shotguns. Why the hell is he required to wear a sniper rifle and a machine gun as well? It would be nice if those were unequipable...it looks blatantly ugly this way :(
 Rogue Nine
07-01-2008, 1:02 PM
Yes, that annoyed me as well, so I just took to wearing rifles that matched the color scheme of whatever armor I was wearing at the time. xD
 Char Ell
07-01-2008, 8:57 PM
I got this game a few days back and just installed it. However before i start playing, can anyone tell me if the devs have removed (or plan to) the 3-activation limit? No plans that I've heard of. I'm sure it will happen at some point down the road but I'm pretty sure it won't happen until MEPC has been out for at least a year.
My character only uses pistols and shotguns. Why the hell is he required to wear a sniper rifle and a machine gun as well? It would be nice if those were unequipable...it looks blatantly ugly this way :( BioWare wanted to leave something they could use to improve the gameplay experience in Mass Effect 2? ;P
 Ztalker
07-02-2008, 5:07 AM
Char Ell wrote:
BioWare wanted to leave something they could use to improve the gameplay experience in Mass Effect 2?
Your sarcasm wins. Worst part is that you're probably right too :xp:

I heared rumours they were considering Melee weapons and dual wielding pistols for the sequal. Unless you want to drag a Kyle Katarnish load of weapons with you (inrealistic) they'll have to fix this.

But still. The coolness of my character...several scars, the stubble, the shotgun, the pistol...he was supposed to be somekind of Space cowboy/Clint Eastwood. Not a frickin tank!

@Rogue Nine:
That's probably the best solution...but I still find it sucky...I sometimes accidentally grab for a machinegun...
 Jason Skywalker
07-02-2008, 6:59 AM
Yay, i got it! Won't install now though, not much space. :xp:
 Tysyacha
07-02-2008, 9:38 PM
Right now, I'm stuck in an even worse place than before--the game is unplayable!

Anybody else besides me getting "general protection fault" errors?!?
 Char Ell
07-02-2008, 9:51 PM
Yah. I started getting them right at the beginning of Noveria, after 30+ hours of gameplay. I have an NVIDIA graphics card and was using Forceware 169.21 drivers at the time. I installed the 175.19 drivers and that took care of the problem, though I did end up getting a couple of GPF's after that. I could get a GPF to generate just by reading a specific codex entry, though I forgot what entry that was. Anyway, I thought it rather strange that MEPC started hitting GPF's after playing so long.
 Mr Roboto
07-03-2008, 5:27 AM
I'm in the same boat as Char Ell. I was fine until about 10 hours in. Tried all sorts of different drivers (official, beta, beta with modded inf files) and I still get them. My fix was to play the God of War series until a patch is available. :D
Page: 5 of 5