Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mass Effect for PC!!

Page: 4 of 5
 Miltiades
05-29-2008, 8:49 AM
Man, I still have to wait a week for it to hit the shelves in Europe! :(
Yup, yup, me too. Luckily, the reviews are reassuring, so I'm not waiting for something bad. :)
 True_Avery
05-29-2008, 6:53 PM
Got it yesterday and it refuses to install. Gets stuck on something called Saferun.exe and Saferun.dll and then aborts.

Annoying.
 JCarter426
05-29-2008, 7:42 PM
You Sir have never had to call EA:D
I said "hope". :p

Really, though, I'm beginning to think it isn't worth it at all. I already have too many doubts about the game as it is.
 Mr Roboto
05-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Got it yesterday and it refuses to install. Gets stuck on something called Saferun.exe and Saferun.dll and then aborts.

Annoying.

I had the same problem. There are a couple of threads about it on the bioware forums. They said to copy the contents of the DVD onto your hard drive and run setup from there. I did that, disabled Daemon tools and ran as administrator (Vista) and it worked. Not sure if I just got lucky though.
 mimartin
05-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Really, though, I'm beginning to think it isn't worth it at all. I already have too many doubts about the game as it is. Rest all doubts, Mass Effect is a wonderful game. It was worth me buying two Xbox 360s and HDTV to play. Mass Effect has a really good story, great concept and is fun to play. Some of the side mission to different planets can get a little annoying, but it is the best overall game I have ever played. Typical BioWare game some of the NPC lack the depth seen in games like TSL, but IMO they are deeper than KOTOR. I’d compare it to Jade Empire only less structured and a better overall concept. Of the games I played recently I’d rank them as followed: (in case this give you some reference where I am coming from.)

1. Mass Effect
2. BioShock
3. Oblivion (tie)
3. GTA IV (tie)
4. Assassin’s Creed

I would also rank Mass Effect as my favorite RPG to date. Sure there may be better stories, but as to complete package Mass Effect wins hands down.
 JCarter426
05-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Typical BioWare game some of the NPC lack the depth seen in games like TSL...
That's what I'm afraid of. :p

...but IMO they are deeper than KOTOR.
Well, that's a good sign. Eh...maybe I'll get it...when the price goes down. :p (Yes, I'm really cheap.)
 mur'phon
05-30-2008, 1:21 PM
So much for the copy protection, it's already cracked. Hopefully we won't have to stand the intrusive protection when ME2 comes around.
 Pavlos
06-01-2008, 6:28 AM
Source (http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=631883&forum=127)

If you've been having some problems installing Mass Effect then Owen Borstad, one of BioWare's programmers, has a work-around for you.

You will need:
1) access to the contents of the data directory (either off CD, download, temp files, etc)
2) WinRar or 7zip or any tool that can extract .rar files.

Steps:
1) Create a folder on your system somewhere. Default for the installer is "C:\Program Files\Mass Effect\" or a games folder.
2) Open each .rar file in the utility chosen (WinRar for e.g.)
3) Extract each .rar file into this folder. If you are using an English build, you won't need to extract any .rar file that has a different language code (_es, _fr, _de, _it, etc)
4) After extracting all files, your folder should look like this:
...\Mass Effect\Binaries\
...\Mass Effect\BioGame\
...\Mass Effect\data\
...\Mass Effect\docs\
...\Mass Effect\Engine\
...\Mass Effect\MassEffectLauncher.exe

5) Run the MassEffectLauncher.exe and quit immediately.
6) Run the "Mass Effect (tm)_code.exe" from the data folder. Enter your CD Key, click next, it will exit out.
7) Run the Launcher again, hit "Config". under the "Repair" tab, you can re-create your shortcuts if running XP. If running Vista, I'm sorry, you can't add the game to the Game Explorer in these instructions.
9) Quit back to the launcher.
10) Play! (everything should work nicely now)
 True_Avery
06-01-2008, 8:55 PM
Does anybody have Mass Effect for PC? If so, I really need help on something.

e-mail me or pm me
 Ghost Down
06-05-2008, 6:40 AM
Is there a way to enable AA?

I tried playing without it, but I just can't stand the jaggy edges.
 SpaceAlex
06-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Is there a way to enable AA?

I tried playing without it, but I just can't stand the jaggy edges.

You can force "Transparency SuperSampling AA" in the control panel to remove some of the jaggies if you have an Nvidia card (it comes with a heavy performance hit, so setting this to more than 2x is not recommended). For ATI cards, adoptive AA might work, but I'm not sure. Anyway, this is the only known method of getting AA to work in Unreal3 engine based games.
 Tysyacha
06-06-2008, 1:30 AM
Pfeh. I can't even get past the prologue in this game!!! On the CASUAL level!!! I always end up dying somehwere near the cargo train station or trying to find the explosives.

Yes, I am the worst gamer you ever saw. Please help!!!
 Bob Lion54
06-06-2008, 3:51 AM
Pfeh. I can't even get past the prologue in this game!!! On the CASUAL level!!! I always end up dying somehwere near the cargo train station or trying to find the explosives.

Yes, I am the worst gamer you ever saw. Please help!!!
You have to use cover and take your time. If you're using default controls, when you Right-click, you'll aim but expose yourself a bit.

Just take cover, aim, squeeze of a few rounds, then release your aim. Wait for the Geth to fire a bit then repeat. Also, many enemies use Biotic Powers or Rocket launchers. If you see something bright or with a trail coming at you, make sure you're covered. The game will tell you that if you try to take cover behind a low object, you'll automatically crouch. I find that sometimes you don't. Make sure if you try to take cover behind a low object, you are crouched. (Default Ctrl, I believe. If the top of the object is above your head, then you're fine. If not, you need to crouch.)

Take down the biggest threat first, if possible. The biggest threat isn't always the toughest enemy, either. Sometimes it's the enemy that has the best shot at you. Make sure your cover isn't exposed.

For the explosives, don't rush! They give you plenty of time to disarm them. Just do what you did on the train and you'll be fine. You have to move at a steady pace, but make sure the area around each explosive is clear before disarming it. If nothing is firing at you, you're clear, in this instance.

Hope that helps!
 Ghost Down
06-10-2008, 12:27 PM
After playing it for awhile, I came to the shocking conclusion that I don't like the game! :fist:

The default Shepard looks like a super-model and not a tough warhero, and there's no way to make a good looking custom Shepard. I also hate the friggin jaggies! Come one Bioware, was is it so hard to include a AA option!? And they still haven't released the DLC!

I never thought I would be saying this, but Mass Effect is just a lame RPG IMO! :(
 Rathoris
06-10-2008, 1:10 PM
The fact that there is no AA is not Bioware fault. You should be blaiming Epic and their Unreal Engine 3 for that one.
The game isn't bad... it's just not very good. It's more shooter then rpg and i really expected alot more depth from Bioware. But all the convo's seem shallow. And besides the main storyline is absurtly short.....
I'd give it a 7/10 because of the nice graphics, good voice acting, decent gameplay and fun plot (which is as said before far too short).
In the end i feel slighty ripped off. If your going to make a trilogy don't give the individual games a main plot of 10 hours......:xp:
 Ghost Down
06-10-2008, 1:15 PM
Yeah, I also feel ripped off, I might have exaggerated it a bit. But Mass Effect is just not my game. Like you said, there is pretty much no story depth and the conversations are very shallow.

Btw, there are several UT3 engine based game which have AA as an option ;)
 Rathoris
06-10-2008, 1:22 PM
Well actually Unreal Tournament 3 doesn't have an AA option. But yeah maybe other UE3 games i haven't heard off. But even the games Epic made themselves don't include the option, so i don't think you should blame Bioware. If anything blame them for claiming to have perfected roleplaying while the game is imho far inferior to KoToR. Did they suddenly lower their standards or something? :confused:
 Ghost Down
06-10-2008, 1:24 PM
Yeah, same with Oblivion. Instead of getting an indepth RPG, you get a arcade hack 'n slash game which is aimed at 12 year olds! :(
 stoffe
06-10-2008, 6:36 PM
Got the PC version of Mass Effect today. As usual with a new game it's a bit overwhelming to get into a new game system at the beginning.

Anyone got advice about which profession is most beginner friendly, allowing you to learn the game without too much frustration? :)
 Antinate
06-11-2008, 1:05 AM
I loved Mass Effect on the 360. Not sure what you kiddos are talking about.
 Rathoris
06-11-2008, 2:55 AM
Ok allow me to explain where i'm coming from.
You can't chat with your crewmembers while your out of your ship which annoyed me. And even the convo's you have on-board are short and shallow. There's like what... 4-5 unique talks you can have?
The menu's really annoy me. With KoToR you could switch between all the menu's with a press of a key on the keyboard, with mass effect it's more of a hassle (have to go back first).
The main story is actually fairly good but too short. I finished it in 9 hours while KoToR took me 20+. Mainly because there's nothing you have to do. Take the mission where you rescue Liara. You fly to the planet, drive the mako for 5 mins and enter a mine which you clear in 5 mins and your done with the entire world. In KoToR you had to explore all the world and actually put some effort into finding the start maps. And you had lot's of side quests which were fun and easy to acces.
So as far as i'm concerned 9 hours is really short. If Mass Effect was promoted as a shooter i'd be fine with it (hmm multiplayer) but this is an rpg we are talking about.... come on people.
Which brings me to the Side quests of Mass Effect. O my dear god....... Fly to planet X and kill everything in generic building A/B. Erm, some variation? Ok here you go: grind 40 different minerals... WHAT?!
(sorry for comparing it to KoToR, but KoToR is just such a good game :xp:)

Overal i'd still recommend people to play it, but not until the price comes down abit. Right now the game is somewhat of a ripp-off. This is obviously only the opinion of one idiot so i do encourage you to make up your own mind after you play it and feel free argue with me if you think it's the best game ever. (i'd love to know why)
 Lantzen
06-11-2008, 6:07 AM
Pro tip: If you think the game is too easy, don't play on easy ^^

And haven't tested it on PC yet, but i really think this game is better suited for xbox then PC. Some games are just better at console, and some are better at PC
 Q
06-11-2008, 7:59 AM
(sorry for comparing it to KoToR, but KoToR is just such a good game :xp: )No need to apologize, friend. This is a KotOR forum after all. :pOveral i'd still recommend people to play it, but not until the price comes down abit. Right now the game is somewhat of a ripp-off. This is obviously only the opinion of one idiot so i do encourage you to make up your own mind after you play it and feel free argue with me if you think it's the best game ever. (i'd love to know why)Sound advice which I, for one, will definitely follow, given that you're certainly not the only one that has voiced these types of complaints about ME. Be prepared for mimartin's spirited rebuttal, though. He thinks that ME is the second coming of software. :xp:
 SpaceAlex
06-12-2008, 9:32 AM
Got the PC version of Mass Effect today. As usual with a new game it's a bit overwhelming to get into a new game system at the beginning.

Anyone got advice about which profession is most beginner friendly, allowing you to learn the game without too much frustration? :)

Soldier seem like the natural choice for beginners (they're really tough), but I went with Vanguard, because I wanted access to biotics. I haven't really tried any of the other classes, so I can't really be of much help here. Based on what I've red, Vanguard seems like the most balanced class, so I picked that one for my first playthrough, and so far I don't regret it.

I finished it in 9 hours while KoToR took me 20+

I'm sorry, but what? It took me more than 9 hours to get off the Citadel. You were just rushing through the game. I like to take it slow, and so far I'm loving the game. I'm not in love with it as much as I was with KOTOR when I played it for the first time, but it's pretty damn close.

Obviously it's a matter of taste, though. You can't really be very objective when reviewing something. Your review will always be influenced by personal feelings and opinions, so I always take reviews with a grain of salt. Try it out for yourself and see, I say.

After playing it for awhile, I came to the shocking conclusion that I don't like the game!

The default Shepard looks like a super-model and not a tough warhero, and there's no way to make a good looking custom Shepard. I also hate the friggin jaggies! Come one Bioware, was is it so hard to include a AA option!? And they still haven't released the DLC!

I never thought I would be saying this, but Mass Effect is just a lame RPG IMO!

So, you think it's a lame RPG because the graphic are not like you would like them to be? I'm sorry, but I think that's lame. I understand that this game is not everyone's cup of tea (no game is), but you really need to find a better reason than that to call it "lame", IMO.

And for the record, it is possible to get AA working if you've got an Nvidia card (not sure about ATI)... read my post on the top of this page. In fact, I'm playing it with AA enabled, and it looks great (for some strange reason the Multisampling TR AA also works for me, instead of just TR Supersampling AA).

there are several UT3 engine based game which have AA as an option

Whic are those? No really, I would like to know. As far as I know, they all require you to force AA in the control panel, and it doesn't always work. Same deal with ME.
 Ghost Down
06-12-2008, 9:41 AM
The AA enabling option only works with a GeForce 8 series or above, and seeing that my shiny new GeForce 9800GTX Black Edition is still boxed and not running in my new rig which I am currently building, means that I have no way to enable AA with my dated GeForce 7800GS AGP card. :xp:
 SpaceAlex
06-12-2008, 9:54 AM
The AA enabling option only works with a GeForce 8 series or above, and seeing that my shiny new GeForce 9800GTX Black Edition is still boxed and not running in my new rig which I am currently building, means that I have no way to enable AA with my dated GeForce 7800GS AGP card. :xp:

I wouldn't even try enabling AA on that card.. not in this game. :D I expect that when people complain about the lack of AA in UT3 engine based games, they don't have anything less than a GF8 in their PC box. :D There's just no point in trying to enable it on lesser cards. Who wants to play at 10 FPS anyway?

If you're replacing your current system, I would suggest that you stop playing ME until you get your new PC up and running. It will be a totally new experience.
 Ghost Down
06-12-2008, 9:56 AM
The game runs smooth on highest settings and everything maxed, but I just can't play a game without AA. Guess I'm a jaggy-phobic :xp:
 Astor
06-12-2008, 9:57 AM
What's the texture pop-in like for the PC version? I have it on the 360, and it can get quite heavy at times. Did they fix that for the PC version?
 SpaceAlex
06-12-2008, 10:02 AM
What's the texture pop-in like for the PC version? I have it on the 360, and it can get quite heavy at times. Did they fix that for the PC version?

It takes around 1-3 seconds on my machine, depending on the size of the level. And it happens only when you load a save game or a new level. It's barely noticeable.
 Astor
06-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Sounds like they've improved it, at least. On the 360, if you go into an area too quickly everything looks like melted plastic for a time :lol:.
 SpaceAlex
06-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Sounds like they've improved it, at least. On the 360, if you go into an area too quickly everything looks like melted plastic for a time :lol:.

The Xbox simply is not powerful enough to deal with it. There's not much Bioware could do to improve it on the console.
 mimartin
06-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Sounds like they've improved it, at least. On the 360, if you go into an area too quickly everything looks like melted plastic for a time :lol:. My first XBox 360 did this really bad, but after the XBox itself melted down the next 360 I purchased had very little texture pop-in problems. Have not played Mass Effect yet on the unit MS set me in return for my first.
 Ctrl Alt Del
06-12-2008, 1:45 PM
Soldier all the way. Though, as you are undoubtely used to, you won't get the benefits either from techs (skills) nor biotics (magics), but, playing at normal, you'll rarely die as long as you don't make a run for it on the middle of the battlefield.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
06-12-2008, 2:40 PM

Yes, I am the worst gamer you ever saw. Please help!!!enable the console and use givesuperarmor and/or givesupergun. the super armor is a fugly shade of yellow though :/

Anyone got advice about which profession is most beginner friendly, allowing you to learn the game without too much frustration?i agree with ctrl, biotics are incredibly underpowered and can basically just push things around while dealing negligible damage.
 mur'phon
06-12-2008, 3:36 PM
Lift is however a usefull ability,takes foes out of cover and make them sitting ducks.
 mimartin
06-12-2008, 4:08 PM
Cannot believe I missed this question from the person that gave me all that advise on Oblivion. Sorry.:( My excuse is I've been lost with my little wood elf in Morrowind lately.
Soldier all the way. Though, as you are undoubtely used to, you won't get the benefits either from techs (skills) nor biotics (magics), but, playing at normal, you'll rarely die as long as you don't make a run for it on the middle of the battlefield. I agreed with Ctrl_Alt_Del. If Mass Effect PC is like Mass Effect 360 then do soldier and unlock weapons skills to use as a bonus talent later with a tech or biotic PC.

i agree with ctrl, biotics are incredibly underpowered and can basically just push things around while dealing negligible damage. I agree with the assessment early in the game. At the later stages biotics become overpowered IMO.
Lift is however a useful ability,takes foes out of cover and make them sitting ducks. Agreed really like Lift, but for total destruction Singularity is where it is at.

stoffe, no matter what you choose I believe you will be alright. I completed the Hardcore achievement with a Sentinel. So I’m sure you will have no problem with whatever class you have chosen. When you get to the point to pick your Specialization Class, then depending on what you are now, you may want to choose wisely. Good luck.
 mur'phon
06-12-2008, 4:14 PM
Well, singularity is technically superior, no argument there, but I play as a infiltrator, and singularity+sniper=broken monitor:D
 stoffe
06-12-2008, 5:04 PM
I got started with a soldier since it seemed like the most straightforward choice, not requiring as much knowledge of the game to use effectively. So far it's been going fairly OK, though I haven't gotten very far yet; recently arrived at the Citadel station. Fighting from cover takes some getting used to, though it seems like my squad mates have that problem as well. While I dive for cover they stay out in the open, making no effort to avoid enemy fire.

Unfortunately the game seems to be incredibly buggy. In the short time I've played I've gotten several General Protection Faults crashing the game and one graphics driver related bluescreen. And every now and then the game comes to a screeching halt for 20-40 seconds where nothing at all happens, after which, if lucky the game continues as normal, or if unlucky it crashes. (Almost like it's getting stuck in an infinite loop and won't continue until it times out.)

Can't remember having had this much trouble with any other game before. :(

Those problems aside, the game has been pretty fun so far (aside from all the armor options I've encountered being ugly :)). Seem to be mostly a paragon personality so far, don't now if that's going to cause any trouble. Some of the squad members seem to be a bit more renegade-ish in nature.

Character creation took a while to get a character who looked somewhat decent; you have to admire nature for getting it right so often. Very easy to make ugly or freakish faces. :) But it's still a shame you can't go back and tweak afterwards. It's hard to get a real impression of how the character will look in-game from the character generation preview.
 Miltiades
06-12-2008, 5:23 PM
Is it normal that I'm getting owned each and every time on Eden Prime at the detonators? I'm playing with an Infiltrator. It's kinda unsettling to not get through the very first level of the game. :p
 mimartin
06-12-2008, 5:34 PM
Is it normal that I'm getting owned each and every time on Eden Prime at the detonators? I'm playing with an Infiltrator. It's kinda unsettling to not get through the very first level of the game. :p Infiltrator would be difficult the first time through without a bonus talent. My advice is to use cover and go slow. There is no shame in running off and living to fight another day. Look around find every upgrade possible and change upgrades, armor and weapons as available. Give your Soldier companion the best rifle and use both companions’ abilities to their fullest. Don’t change ahead to the next round of enemies until your abilities have had a chance to recharge. It will get easier and the Infiltrator is a fun class, you just have to be careful until you get leveled up. Mind what your Commander and the other NPC are skilled at and use those weapons only, especially early in the game.

Don't know about achievements with the PC game, but on XBox 360 you unlock the achivement for difficulty settings as long as you change it before you leave Eden Prime. So you could reduce the difficulty then change it back before you complete Eden Prime and still get the credit (If it is the same as the 360). If that is what you are trying to do just remember not to even look funny at the difficulty setting after you leave Eden Prime.
 Miltiades
06-12-2008, 5:40 PM
Ah, I always pick the difficult classes first. I'm still a bit lost when it comes to giving everyone the right weapons and such, and how to use the party effectively, but I'll get there.
 stoffe
06-12-2008, 5:41 PM
Infiltrator would be difficult the first time through without a bonus talent. My advice is to use cover and go slow. There is no shame in running off and living to fight another day.

There is a certain sense of urgency at that place though, since you need to disarm all 4 nukes within a few minutes. Makes it hard to take it too slow. :)

It was tricky, though I got past it by hiding behind cover just up the stairs from where you arrive and sniping the nearest batch of enemies, and then running to the next cover across the bridge, near the next nuke and have my squad cover me while I disarmed it. I got in quite a few lucky shots though, hard to hit with the sniper rifle when you have no training in it. :)
 mimartin
06-12-2008, 5:51 PM
There is a certain sense of urgency at that place though, since you need to disarm all 4 nukes within a few minutes. Makes it hard to take it too slow. :)
Forgive me I forgot how difficult it was the first time through and not know where the nukes are. After you know where they are, it seems way easier to keep covered.:D I got lucky on that part too my first time through . I had difficuty on the tram to get to that part.

You'll run into other real and percieved time restrants in the future so be careful.
 Ctrl Alt Del
06-12-2008, 7:29 PM
You'll notice there's plenty of time at that moment. But yes, the first time, it looks it will all come down.

hard to hit with the sniper rifle when you have no training in it. :)
Considering you won't be able to target at all without training... :lol:
 Serpentine Cougar
06-13-2008, 11:51 PM
How much replay value does ME have? When you finish the game, are you left itching to go back and start it again to try out something different?

The main story is actually fairly good but too short. I finished it in 9 hours while KoToR took me 20+.
Really? KotOR took me somewhere around 66 hours to complete. Maybe Mass Effect would take me longer, as well.

Which brings me to the Side quests of Mass Effect. [...] Fly to planet X and kill everything in generic building A/B. Erm, some variation? Ok here you go: grind 40 different minerals... WHAT?!
Are the side quests really that bad? Does anyone else have opinions on this?
 mimartin
06-14-2008, 12:11 AM
How much replay value does ME have? I played it 10 times straight. Reading this thread I’m itching to go back and play again, but I busy in Morrowind right now. :( I forcing myself to hold out getting the PC version as long as possible, but it calls out my name every time I drive passed Best Buy.

When you finish the game, are you left itching to go back and start it again to try out something different? I was. I tried different classes, settings and planets in different order. You get some very funning dialogue depending on when you go to certain planets.

Really? KotOR took me somewhere around 66 hours to complete. Maybe Mass Effect would take me longer, as well. Even knowing were everything was on my tenth play through it took me 45 hours, but if you want to skip dialog and the side quests the nine to twelve hours is believable. That is the beauty of Mass Effect to me, that it is up to the player the amount of time the want to invest in the game.

Are the side quests really that bad? Does anyone else have opinions on this? Depends. I enjoyed some of them. There is a lot of driving around looking for things and it does get tedious. The interior of building are the same and that become tiresome, but there are many Easter Eggs (Watch out for the “shifty cow”) to be found not to mention the money and experience points to be earned. I like leveling up, so I always do the exploitation missions. Could the side quest have been better, sure! IMO they are still playable.
 Miltiades
06-14-2008, 8:03 AM
I got through it. *Warning: noob comment* I forgot to give my characters any talent points, since they were already at level 3 and I had no idea! :p *End warning*.

Anyway, the only thing difficult battle I've encountered is against the Krogan Battlemaster on the planet where you save Liara. I think I've done that 15 times before just switching difficulty to casual and ending it rather quickly. The fact that the guy rushes to you and can kill you with two melee hits of his weapon is frustrating, even more so if you thought disabling his biotics would make him an easy target.
 Char Ell
06-14-2008, 10:27 AM
I got through it. *Warning: noob comment* I forgot to give my characters any talent points, since they were already at level 3 and I had no idea! :p *End warning*. :lol: Yeah, I can see how that would make the job more difficult. ;)

I too died several times before I was finally able to take out the Krogan you refer to. I finally figured out I could backpedal and dodge him long enough to take him down. And at close range like that I also learned using a shotgun is a viable option, even though I had no skill points for it.

I decided to just use the default soldier character for my first playthrough of MEPC. Have had a tough time figuring out how to effectively use my squad members. They seem to get taken out fairly easy in some situations. I've got as far as picking up my last party NPC and returning to the Citadel but have decided I don't want to continue playing until the Bring Down The Sky DLC gets released so I just started my second playthrough as an Infiltrator. I do have to say that I can, with some difficulty, use the sniper rifle even though I have yet to assign any skill points to that weapon. I just need to make sure I stay out of the range of enemy weapons so I can have the time necessary to get my wobbly sights on them. :D
 SpaceAlex
06-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Are the side quests really that bad? Does anyone else have opinions on this?

Some on the Citadel are great, but those on other planets are pretty generic, yes. There certainly could be done a lot more in that regard, but it would take another year or two of development to make everything work. KOTOR's setting made it easy to include more side quests, since most planets are inhabitable in the Star Wars universe, thus one can place a dozen of side quests on each planet. On the other hand, In ME's universe very few planets are inhabitable (the game's trying to be as realistic as possible), so making side quest is not as easy as it was in KOTOR. Even the main quest planets are mostly hideouts of your enemy, not planets where people live their daily lives. What Bioware could do with this kind of setting is make those side quests on all of those planets that you can visit more detailed (so that you don't just shoot things and move out), but, like I've already mentioned, that would take another year or so of development. Bring Down the Sky might very well be what I have in mind, but since the add-on is not yet available for the PC version, I can't really comment. From what I've heard about it though, it seems to be better than most side quests in the main game.

Still a great game though, and well worth your time.
 Ctrl Alt Del
06-15-2008, 3:14 PM
Really, pick all the side planets and glue them in one, because you'll have a lot more fun on the Citadel than on the other dustbowls. Especially when, around your third side planet, you'll notice they're the same all over again.
Page: 4 of 5