Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jade Empire modding (see first post for info summary)

Page: 3 of 9
 splinterxx
07-30-2007, 7:09 AM
Jade Empire Savegame Editor v0.2 = Down

Plz reup.
 stoffe
07-30-2007, 5:54 PM
Jade Empire Savegame Editor v0.1 v0.2 released

Tested the editor with a bunch of savegames and it seems to work. Though I got a few Weird style advancement detected: messages in the log. The only thing I could think of that I couldn't figure out was how to add new styles to a character with it?
 tk102
07-30-2007, 6:05 PM
Though I got a few Weird style advancement detected: messages in the log.Do you have some custom styles that have different EffectIds from rank to rank? JSE currently doesn't know what to do with multiple Effects for a single style so it uses only the effect of the first rank.

The only thing I could think of that I couldn't figure out was how to add new styles to a character with it?That's on my to-do list. The workaround for now is using SAC Utils right now to explode/implode the .sac and do GFF editing in between.
 stoffe
07-30-2007, 6:08 PM
Do you have some custom styles that have different EffectIds from rank to rank? JSE currently doesn't know what to do with multiple Effects for a single style so it uses only the effect of the first rank.

It was for the Monkey Paw style those messages popped up in the log, though it might be a bit weird since it's not normally usable by the player unless you cheat to get it.

Also, I forgot to mention that the labels above the skill level sliders are blank for the Viper, Iron Palm and Rhino Demon styles.

tk102 says: Ah, found out what it was. IRONPALMLV.2da an VIPERLV.2da have a column named "Label" rather than "label" -- the latter being used in all the other *LV.2da files that I've seen. I've since made my code accept either. The Rhino Demon form uses Iron Palm for some reason, probably a mistake.
 sekan
07-31-2007, 3:46 PM
I have tried to make a gem and a teqnic (lol) on my computer. I but i don't have improvements.2da and effect.2da. If someone have them can you send them to me?

Thanks for reading this.
 tk102
07-31-2007, 4:11 PM
Hey sekan, you can find and extract those 2da files using stoffe's FindRes tool in (link in the 1st post). JE's 2das are a mish-mash of V2.0 and V2.b formats. If it's V2.0 you can use any editor you like. If it's V2.b, you'll need to use one of the various V2.b tools also listed in the 1st post.
 sekan
07-31-2007, 5:21 PM
Hey sekan, you can find and extract those 2da files using stoffe's FindRes tool in (link in the 1st post). JE's 2das are a mish-mash of V2.0 and V2.b formats. If it's V2.0 you can use any editor you like. If it's V2.b, you'll need to use one of the various V2.b tools also listed in the 1st post.

Thanks i have found it now. But where shall i put improvements.2da when I have done with everything?

EDit: I got i work.

Edit2: Now i have made a gem and a techniq and both works fine :p
 Janan Pacha
08-02-2007, 5:13 AM
Can anyone help me figure out where the skin (skin tone) on the various characters are? I think this was supposed thread was supposed to have helped, but I'm obviously missing something key?
 stoffe
08-02-2007, 5:30 AM
Can anyone help me figure out where the skin (skin tone) on the various characters are? I think this was supposed thread was supposed to have helped, but I'm obviously missing something key?

The skin is part of the body and head textures of the characters. The textures of the player models have a P_ prefix in their names, so if you search for P_*.txb in JEFindRes you should be able to find them all. Some of them have a version found in the override folder that is of higher resolution than the one inside the game data files, thus those should be used first when available. :)
 Janan Pacha
08-02-2007, 6:36 AM
The skin is part of the body and head textures of the characters. The textures of the player models have a P_ prefix in their names, so if you search for P_*.txb in JEFindRes you should be able to find them all. Some of them have a version found in the override folder that is of higher resolution than the one inside the game data files, thus those should be used first when available. :)

That's why I keep seeing two versions of each skin that seem to be otherwise exact copies of each other? O.o

EDIT: And thanks, I think I got it. :)

EDIT 2: Okay, I got the head area to work, and accept my new texture. The body area, though, when I put the files into the override folder do not replace the original graphics. In fact the old graphics stay there. The head is the new texture. But not the body. They body has the original texture.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
 sekan
08-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Okay... I'm wondring one thing. Is JE using coordinates when they spawn npcs? If they do is there someway to make a armband like TSL but instead a gem that give coordinates in teh corner off the screen. Only when you are using the gem of course :p The gem could be found in every module or chapter. Anyway if they not are using coordinates how do they do to spawn npcs?

If anyone could make a coordinat armband it would improve the JE modding in many ways.

Thanks for taking reading this :D
 stoffe
08-02-2007, 11:55 AM
EDIT 2: Okay, I got the head area to work, and accept my new texture. The body area, though, when I put the files into the override folder do not replace the original graphics. In fact the old graphics stay there. The head is the new texture. But not the body. They body has the original texture.

Make sure you have removed the TXB file with the same name from the override folder. If there is a TXB file and a TGA file with identical names in the same scope, the game will use the TXB file.

You only need to do this for files in the override folder, i.e. you don't need to remove TXB files from the MOD/RIM files if you put a TGA in the override folder since the override scope has higher priority.

Is JE using coordinates when they spawn npcs? If they do is there someway to make a armband like TSL but instead a gem that give coordinates in teh corner off the screen. Only when you are using the gem of course :p The gem could be found in every module or chapter. Anyway if they not are using coordinates how do they do to spawn npcs?

While I haven't investigated this closely I'd guess they use either pre-placed NPCs or Encounter triggers to spawn most NPCs and creatures in the game.

The problem with making "armbands" in Jade Empire, as far as I know, is that you have no effective way of triggering a script at will, like the armbands allow, unless I'm overlooking something. It's easy to fire scripts as part of a reward/loot, but since you have no inventory or items to be activated, and most "spells" are 2DA based rather than scripted in Jade Empire your options are a lot more limited.

For something that continually displays the coordinates you'd need a script that runs repeatedly to update the info. I haven't really looked much into these aspects of Jade Empire modding yet, so hopefully someone else is able to offer more insight. :)
 J_Slash
08-02-2007, 5:16 PM
For something that continually displays the coordinates you'd need a script that runs repeatedly to update the info. I haven't really looked much into these aspects of Jade Empire modding yet, so hopefully someone else is able to offer more insight. :)

Hey everyone,
There's a script in the override folder named "j98_eud_player.nss", this scripts runs pretty much all the time, whenever you perform an action, or an action performed on you, it contains all the onheartbeat, ondisturbed, and other events. i used it to regenerate Chi and Focus on heartbeat, and to test some other stuff too. hope this helps..:)
 Janan Pacha
08-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Make sure you have removed the TXB file with the same name from the override folder. If there is a TXB file and a TGA file with identical names in the same scope, the game will use the TXB file.

You only need to do this for files in the override folder, i.e. you don't need to remove TXB files from the MOD/RIM files if you put a TGA in the override folder since the override scope has higher priority.

That worked. I've now created a dark robed albino version of Radiant Jen Zi as my first test. Now to get to something I'll actually spend time trying to get good looking. Hopefully an improved version of Scholar Ling. I'd like to change the outfit especially to get a more dark sorceress vibe off the outfit. Something more conservative too, to reflect the scholar aspect.

Er . . . heh ^_^ *stops babbling, and wanders off to work on texturing*
 Mindtwistah
08-03-2007, 9:34 AM
tslpatcher should work with JE right? Like adding files into some folders and adding entries in dialog.tlk and 2da files?
 stoffe
08-03-2007, 9:54 AM
tslpatcher should work with JE right? Like adding files into some folders and adding entries in dialog.tlk and 2da files?

No, TSLPatcher would not work to use for many types of JE modding in its current state. The KOTOR games (and NWN) use the TLK V3.0 format for the dialog.tlk file, while Jade Empire uses the TLK V4.0 format. Since TSLPatcher was made for KOTOR it does not handle this format.

Further, TSLPatcher only deals with 2DA files in binary 2DA V2.b format. Jade Empire supports this format, but many of the 2DA files, especially modded ones, are in the older 2DA V2.0 text format instead.

Lastly, while the GFF format is roughly the same in KOTOR and JE, the latter has a new data type added to the format. TSLPatcher's GFF handling is not aware of this data type, for aforementioned reasons. It would probably complain if it encounters data types it does not recognize when loading a GFF file using this field type.
 sekan
08-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Hi everybody and no Stoffe and tk102 I'm not gona ask a question. I'm gona realese my first JE mod :D

Name: Three Brothers

This mod add three powerful gem. Sekan, Lespoon and Mindtwistah gem.

Author: Sekan
Special Thanks to: Mindtwistah

Sekan's Gem Information
Location: Spirit plain. This gem has the same location as the demon sword.
Effect: + 10 Body + 10 Mind + 2 Spirit

Lespoon's Gem information.
Location: Pirate workshop. You can find this gem in a cheast in the Treasure room.
Effect: + 10 mind + 5 Body + 5 spirit

Mindtwistah's Gem
Location: Teahouse if you help old mother kwan to get back her teahosue.
Effect: + 15 Spirit + 3 Body + 3 Mind

Download it Here (http://www.speedyshare.com/781989547.html)

Permission: You can edit this gems so much you want but if you want the realese your change you must ask me first.
 Eisenhower
08-05-2007, 3:04 AM
Firstly I must say I have no modding experience in Bioware's games whatsoever. I did do a little in Homeworld, but I don't have the patience to learn scripting languages and such.

While playing Jade Empire, aside from feeling slightly deflated at the lack of mods, I also wasn't particularly fond of the graphic for Silk Fox. I was wondering, was it easy/possible to replace Silk Fox's graphic with the one for the Princess? Without causing too much problems, that is. If you can tell me where to go and what to use to accomplish this, that would also be most excellent.

Secondly (and off-topic), does anyone find the staff style useful? Seems the sword is better because of the sweeping attacks. Staff has a long reach, but I like charging into the middle of enemies and using the sword attack to decimate them.

Finally, is it possible/easy to change the passive bonuses of ... gah I forget her name, the girl from the school who you rescue from the cave. Her, the demon girl and Sky, can you change their bonuses to include all three of the stat regen powers like the monk from ghost-Dirge? I think sky does the focus regen, the demon does health and the girl from school does spirit, I'm hoping to get all three all the time. Also, to give both Sagacious Zu and Silk Fox both the + martial/weapon style bonuses. I think Sagacious gives you weapon bonuses and Silk Fox gives you martial style bonus.

Thanks in advance.
 stoffe
08-05-2007, 5:13 AM
I was wondering, was it easy/possible to replace Silk Fox's graphic with the one for the Princess?

It's possible, but does have a somewhat quirky side-effect. To do it, open the appearance.2da file with a text-editor. On the lines with row label 35 and 201, change the value in the MODELA column from (35) N_Silk_ to N_Prnces_ and (201) N_SilkNM_ to N_Prnces_ respectively. This will switch out the character model.

However, since some of the textures for this model only exists in the module where you first land in the Imperial City you'll need to extract those files and place them in the override folder to be globally available.

I don't remember exactly what files you need, but extract h_prnces01.txb, n_prnces01.txb and n_prnces_.mdx from a_300-a.rim and n_prnces_.mdl from a300.rim into your override folder (skip any files that already exists there though, you only need the ones that aren't already there, and the already existing ones are probably higher resolution). You can use JEFindRes for this, just search for *_prnces* and it should list all the relevant files.

The above mentioned quirk you should be aware of though is that the Princess model has no impact hooks. This means that it's impossible for enemies to hit her with melee attacks, so she'll never sustain any damage from melee grunts.

Secondly (and off-topic), does anyone find the staff style useful? Seems the sword is better because of the sweeping attacks.

The staff style does seem to be of the "mildly useless when used by you, very annoying when used against you" variety, at least by more than one enemy.

Finally, is it possible/easy to change the passive bonuses of ... gah I forget her name, the girl from the school who you rescue from the cave.

"Only one man would dare give me the raspberries... DAWNSTAR!"

*Ahem*... Yes, it's possible to change what effect the support styles of the various party members have. To use Dawnstar an an example, open the dstar.2da file. This file defines Dawnstar's character progression as you go up in levels. Look for the supporteffect column, the number listed here is a line number in the effects.2da file.

It's 46 for Dawnstar, which points to the EFFECT_MODSTATOVERTIME line in effects.2da. This is a multipurpose effects though, and the supporteffectparam column in dstar.2da specifies more exactly what it does. To determine what the parameter value means we need to look up what sort of parameters the EFFECT_MODSTATOVERTIME effect takes.

This is determined by the value in the 2da column in effects.2da, which is set to 86 for this particular effect. This number in turn is a reference to a line number in the 2das.2da file, which essentially lists the names of other 2da files that contain parameter info. Looking up line 86 in 2das.2da it says modstatovertime in the file column, which means the modstatovertime.2da file is used.

The supporteffectparam column value back from dstar.2da is thus a line number in the modstatovertime.2da file. That column had the value set to 2 for dawnstar, and looking at line 2 we see that, sure enough, it's set to RECOVERCHI_1. To make a long story short, look down to line 4 and you'll see RECOVERALLSTATS_1, which is what Abbot Song uses. To make Dawnstar do the same, change the value in the dstar.2da file in the supporteffectparam column to 4 for all rows in the file.

To change what the support style does for other party members you use the similar approach, but use their specific 2da file instead of dstar.2da (sfox.2da, chaika.2da etc...).

You can even change what their support style does entirely by changing the value in the supporteffect column. You should probably stick to "over time" effects listed in effects.2da if you do though. Or you could make their support style either increase in potency or do different things as they level up by setting different values in their columns for the different lines in the dstar.2da (and other follower 2DAs).
 Eisenhower
08-05-2007, 9:50 AM
Ouch...

brain hurt.

So essentially I just need a text editor and a program called JEFindRes for all this, right?
 stoffe
08-05-2007, 9:57 AM
Ouch...

brain hurt.

So essentially I just need a text editor and a program called JEFindRes for all this, right?

Yes. JEFindRes is an utility that lets you search among the game's resource files and extract things. There is a link to it in the first post in this thread.

Most 2DA files in the game are tables in plain text format and as such it should be enough with a text editor to modify them. Personally I prefer to use UltraEdit since it uses monospace fonts and you can set columns and headers to be independently scrollable, but any text editor should do.

For the few 2da files that are in binary format you'll need a converter, there should be a link to one in the first post as well. Or you can use this archive (http://www.papagamer.com/files/formatted_2da.7z) which contains most of the 2DA files from the game converted to text format with fixed column width to make them easier to hand-edit. (You'll need 7zip (http://www.7zip.org/) to unpack it.)

You then place any files you've edited in the override folder to make them game use them. I'd recommend that you make a backup copy of that whole folder just in case before you start modding so you have something to fall back to if things get screwed up.
 Eisenhower
08-05-2007, 6:11 PM
I did the replacing silk fox's model with princess lian, but now her face is all black. I forgot to save a backup copy of the override folder though, so the original .txb, .mdl and .mdx for princess is missing from override. It worked while I was in the imperial city proper, but when I entered the arena her face turned black.

Any chance you can upload the originals? I'd rather have silk fox than an untextured face.

I just think the ninja look is overplayed.

Thanks for all your help!
 stoffe
08-05-2007, 6:33 PM
I did the replacing silk fox's model with princess lian, but now her face is all black. I forgot to save a backup copy of the override folder though, so the original .txb, .mdl and .mdx for princess is missing from override. It worked while I was in the imperial city proper, but when I entered the arena her face turned black.

Did you do as I mentioned in the previous post and extracted all the N_Prnces_ files from the RIM data files into your override folder? Some of the textures are only found in the Imperial City landing area module normally, and you'll need to extract them to the override folder for them to work everywhere. Make sure the files are directly in the override folder and not in any sub-folders within it.

It should work fine if you do, I'm using the princess look in my current game without problems (aside from the aforementioned one that she's impossible to hit with melee attacks when using that model).

Edit: Oops... forgot about one... h_prnces01.txb should contain the head texture so you'll need to extract that one too. Sorry about that. :)
 Eisenhower
08-06-2007, 2:33 AM
Yay, much thanks. It works perfectly now!
 Eisenhower
08-07-2007, 1:03 AM
While playing, I screwed up the talk trees and managed to activate the Sky romance thread when I only wanted the Princess one. Is there any way to de-activate the sky thread or change the variable to Princess? I was persuing the Princess thread but apparently Sky overrides her. so... any help on that would be appreciated. I can't go back saves because I don't know how far back this got activated.

I know which one is on because right before you fly to the Imperial Keep the first time, the princess says take care of your business and sky is the only option, which I didn't take.

Playing a female character, btw.
 stoffe
08-07-2007, 9:53 AM
While playing, I screwed up the talk trees and managed to activate the Sky romance thread when I only wanted the Princess one. Is there any way to de-activate the sky thread or change the variable to Princess?

You could try to change the global variables that seemingly keep track of these things. I don't know if it's sufficient in your situation, but it worked for me to do "late switching" in Dirge when I unwittingly had managed to avoid any romantic entanglements at all. :)

A script like this might work. I've attached a compiled version below if you don't have a script compiler handy to do so yourself. Unzip its content into your game's override folder.

void main() {
SetGlobalBoolean("J00_SILKFOX_ROMANCE_DONE", FALSE);
SetGlobalBoolean("J00_SILKFOX_ROMANCE", TRUE);
SetGlobalBoolean("J00_SKY_ROMANCE", FALSE);
}

Then you need to run the script from somewhere. The easiest way is usually to attach it to a "reward event" (or whatever to call it) near where you currently are in the game. I.e. when the game gives you silver, some item or XP it would run the script as well. The rewards are set in 2da files with an ar_ prefix, there is a column where you can set the name of a script file to run (without the NCS suffix).

If you can't get it to work, say where in the game you are currently and perhaps I can find a suitable 2da file to use.
 Eisenhower
08-07-2007, 10:34 PM
So I just, unzip those files into override and get playing?

I'm not understanding this scripting stuff, more complex than I'm used to.

I'm *right* at the part where you enter the imperial palace for the first time, after leaving the imperial city.
 virumor
08-08-2007, 3:56 AM
I have a question: is it possible to get the Sword of the Bough (which is a sword upgrade for Silk fox during the siege of Dirge) from the beginning?

In items.2da this upgrade has number #546, the script that is mentioned is j07_a_wpn_32. What I tried is putting this script and number in ar_town.2da in the row #35 after_chapter_screen but this does not seem to work... I do get a 'received sword of bough' message but nothing is added to the styles screen.

This method does work for any other long sword/staff update, though (demon/dragon sword, etc), so I do not know why this doesn't work for Silk Fox's weapon upgrade (and I guess the same would be true for the upgrades for the Black whirlwind and Dawn Star).

I guess changing weapon "j00_sword02" to "j00_sword03" + changing the NameRef/Descref on line #29 in stylesuperlist.d2a might do it, but I'm just wondering why you can't just add this upgrade if you can do it with Dragon/Demon sword.
 stoffe
08-08-2007, 6:26 AM
So I just, unzip those files into override and get playing?

I'm not understanding this scripting stuff, more complex than I'm used to.

I'm *right* at the part where you enter the imperial palace for the first time, after leaving the imperial city.

No, you'd need to make the game run the script somewhere as well. I've attached a modified variant of the reward table for the Imperial Palace (first visit/act 4) below. Unzip its content into the override folder along with the scripts attached to the previous post. This file should make the game run the script which adjusts the romance variables after either Yahzen or ChaiKa have been beaten after their final confrontation when you first arrive at the palace (when you receive a technique as reward for helping one beat the other).

Hopefully there are no romance related conversations that need to be done before that.
 stoffe
08-08-2007, 6:54 AM
I have a question: is it possible to get the Sword of the Bough (which is a sword upgrade for Silk fox during the siege of Dirge) from the beginning?

If I understand this correctly you are trying to give the sword to the player character?

The problem is most likely that the script you are running (j07_a_wpn_32) is trying to apply an upgrade to a style/weapon that your character does not possess (Silk Fox's longsword). You'll need to use a script that applies the upgrade to the player character's longsword style instead. Something like this (compiled variant attached below):

void main() {
if(!GetHasStyle(GetPlayer(), STYLE_SINGLESWORD))
AddCombatStyle(GetPlayer(), STYLE_SINGLESWORD, 1, STYLEMAP_NONE, TRUE);

ApplyStyleAdvanceLine(GetPlayer(), STYLE_SINGLESWORD, 48);
}
 virumor
08-08-2007, 7:09 AM
Thank you, I understand.

So the method I suggested of changing the weapon listed in stylesuperlist.2da in line 29 which is the Single sword weapon style, namely j00_sword02 (Fortune's favourite) to j00_sword03 (Sword of the broken bough), would not work?

Another possibility could be changing the Dragon sword to Sword of the bough in StyleAdvance.2da... this should make it possible to purchase it in the Imperial city.

Unfortunately for modding I cannot go beyond editing 2da files; I am horribly bad in anything even remotely connected to programming, hence I cannot write any scripts that work.
 stoffe
08-08-2007, 4:23 PM
So the method I suggested of changing the weapon listed in stylesuperlist.2da in line 29 which is the Single sword weapon style, namely j00_sword02 (Fortune's favourite) to j00_sword03 (Sword of the broken bough), would not work?

That would probably work as well if you just want to change the appearance and name of the player's longsword to that of the one Silk Fox gets at Dirge, using the weapon model and description override StrRef from styleadvance.2da and setting in on line 29 in stylesuperlist.2da.

Unfortunately for modding I cannot go beyond editing 2da files; I am horribly bad in anything even remotely connected to programming, hence I cannot write any scripts that work.

2DA editing should be enough if you want to switch around the names and weapon models of various styles. Jade Empire seems to rely very heavily on 2DA files for its game data, making the need for scripts much smaller than in earlier Aurora engine games like KOTOR and NWN.
 Eisenhower
08-09-2007, 3:11 AM
The thing for Silk Fox's romance didn't work. Oh well, I was curious how the Sky ending went anyhow. Besides, I have a savegame from before I met Silk Fox, so even though I have to play through it again I can correct my mistake.

I thought the Sky deal was sorta like Carth Onasi with Dustil, I chose the options to find out more of his daughter, hoping there'd be some quest regarding that that I haven't seen.

Thanks much for your help, Stoffe. I'll wait a little longer until there are a few more mods/skins for Jade Empire and I'll restart the game and not make the silly mistakes I already have.
 sekan
08-09-2007, 5:19 AM
Was she outside the tent? Or did you just miss the romance ?

Anyway i made a horrible mistake when i tried to have romance with Sky.
He was outside the tent but bcz i missed a dialog i couldn't finish the romance and i couldn't get into the tent...

Here is what i did wrong

I can not get the Romance Conclusion Scene (Kiss scene) with my lover at Dirge, did I screw up somewhere?

The problem that most people miss the romance due to 1 dialogue that's very easy to miss (I know because I did).

- Provided you talked to them on Chapter 1 and 2, Basically the point is there are 3 dialogue runs for each romance interest at chapter 3. And people can easily miss the second run.

+ First Dialogue: Right at the beginning (right after Silk Fox joint)

+ Second Run: After one of the 2 Lotus recruiter meet you. Note that this dialogue becomes available right after you meet one of them.

+ Third Run: After you received one of the Lotus seal.

- The thing is usually people after meet one of the recruiter will go right for the quest and solve it, thus miss out the second dialogue. Especially if you're doing the Arena, since you probably just meet the excution recruiter and run through the arena not knowing there is one romance dialogue for this period.

Example for Silk Fox:

- you have to talk to her after she joint you and before you meet with with either of the recruiters.

-talk to her again after the Inquistor or Excutioner approach you and before you finish one of the quests. (again, this is an easy one to miss, unless you have that particular follower with you and chat with him/her by chance).

-Then talk to her again after you finished one of the recruiting quest and before you enter the forstress area.

Don't do the same mistake as i did...
 virumor
08-09-2007, 5:48 AM
Usually after completing a part of the main quest, a yellow arrow will appear over your followers' heads. That's how you know when to speak up.

It suffices to speak to every follower each time you return to your base camp. I did it this way with Sky (whom I never used as a follower) and I did not miss the romance.

If you want to romance Silk Fox with a female character, though, you need to either ignore or reject Sky.
 sekan
08-11-2007, 3:12 PM
Jade Empire Savegame Editor v0.4 released

I've uploaded the initial release of a savegame editor for Jade Empire. See the first post of this thread for the download link.

Edit: I've also uploaded SAC Utils to extract/pack the the save.sac file just in case anyone wants to try low level tweaking of their savegames with K-GFF.

Edit: v0.2 released: Fixed Appearance behavior -- now shows list and found an extra field in the GFF that needed to be tweaked to get the changes to stick.

Edit: v0.3 released: Added Weapons, Plot Items, Flyer Improvements, Techniques, Amulet, Gems nodes. Also added ability to Add/Remove Styles and the aforementioned elements

Edit: v0.4 released: Added Henchmen selection/availability and fixed style bars (was off by one)

That is awesome :D

But i have a bug. When i try to add a style to the game it's not showing any of the new styles . With other words nothing has changed. All style i have tried to add was cut so is it possible to add cut styles or will the game crash?

Edit: I tried to add ice shard and it worked. But is it possible to restore the cut styles?
 stoffe
08-11-2007, 3:18 PM
That is awesome :D

But i have a bug. When i try to add a style to the game it's not showing any of the new styles . With other words nothing has changed. All style i have tried to add was cut so is it possible to add cut styles or will the game crash?

Styles marked as "cut" are not present in the game and only have a few junk lines left in the 2DA files since you can't remove lines safely from a 2DA file without an enormous amount of work. (This is a "problem" in all games using 2DA files, KOTOR has such dummy entries as well for appearances, force powers, feats etc that didn't end up in the final version of the game.)

Many of the NPC and creature styles won't work if assigned to the player either, since they don't have data set that is required by player styles. There are a few, like Monkey Paw, that does work (even if the upgrade of it is improperly configured) when assigned to the player, but generally you should be prepared for lots of crashes if you assign styles that are not meant for use by the player (standard ones or ones added by mods).
 sekan
08-13-2007, 2:21 PM
No, TSLPatcher would not work to use for many types of JE modding in its current state. The KOTOR games (and NWN) use the TLK V3.0 format for the dialog.tlk file, while Jade Empire uses the TLK V4.0 format. Since TSLPatcher was made for KOTOR it does not handle this format.

Further, TSLPatcher only deals with 2DA files in binary 2DA V2.b format. Jade Empire supports this format, but many of the 2DA files, especially modded ones, are in the older 2DA V2.0 text format instead.

Lastly, while the GFF format is roughly the same in KOTOR and JE, the latter has a new data type added to the format. TSLPatcher's GFF handling is not aware of this data type, for aforementioned reasons. It would probably complain if it encounters data types it does not recognize when loading a GFF file using this field type.

Well... is it possible to make a JE patcher?
 stoffe
08-13-2007, 5:30 PM
Well... is it possible to make a JE patcher?

Most likely, it's not exactly rocket science any of it, and most of the relevant file formats are already known. It would just require someone with the time, desire and motivation to do it. :)

I don't think I'll try to adapt TSLPatcher for Jade Empire though. It's a horrible mess that has grown way beyond what it was originally intended for. As such it's pretty much held together with steel wire and duct tape and not designed (if you could call it designed at all) for being easily expandable or changeable. It would probably be easier to just start over from scratch. :)
 sekan
08-14-2007, 1:21 PM
This is my second JE mod. This mod add the elephant demon style. You will get it when you kill the elephant demon.

Enjoy

Elephant Demon (http://www.speedyshare.com/840535634.html)

Edit:
Here is a new weapon style i have made

Moon Light (http://www.speedyshare.com/239364350.html)

The weapon is a spear that is slow but strong. It doesn't have the same fighting animations as the staff.
 sekan
08-16-2007, 6:56 AM
I now how bioware get coorinates now :D

Dear Bioware,

How do you get coordinates in the game? And is it possible to make a script that fires the coordinates?

~The fun side ( That is me :p )

script would do that, yes:

I believe PrintLocation( GetLocation( GetPlayer()) should work. If not you can use PrintVector( GetPositionFromLocation( GetLocation( GetPlayer())))
 The Gizka
08-17-2007, 5:30 PM
Does anyone know where i can find the files for this sun lian model?
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1066/sunlianmodelzg9.jpghttp://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3874/sunlianmodel2ep8.jpg)
She appears like this when you land in the imperial city for the first time.
(no mask, ribbons hanging down from her head and the yellow things hanging from her arms)
 stoffe
08-17-2007, 6:25 PM
Does anyone know where i can find the files for this sun lian model?
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1066/sunlianmodelzg9.jpghttp://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3874/sunlianmodel2ep8.jpg)
She appears like this when you land in the imperial city for the first time.
(no mask, ribbons hanging down from her head and the yellow things hanging from her arms)

That model is using the files

a_300-a.rim (j04_city_core)
h_prnces01.txb
n_prnces01.txb
n_prnces_.mdx

a300.rim (j04_city_core)
n_prnces_.mdl

It's used by appearance type 82 (in appearance.2da). Keep in mind though that this model have no impact hooks, so it's impossible to harm her with melee attacks if using it. :)
 The Gizka
08-17-2007, 7:02 PM
That model is using the files

a_300-a.rim (j04_city_core)
h_prnces01.txb
n_prnces01.txb
n_prnces_.mdx

a300.rim (j04_city_core)
n_prnces_.mdl

It's used by appearance type 82 (in appearance.2da). Keep in mind though that this model have no impact hooks, so it's impossible to harm her with melee attacks if using it. :)
When i extract those files and rename them to
H_Silk01.txb
N_Silk01.txb
N_SilkNM_.mdx
and
N_SilkNM_.mdl
And place them in the override folder she appears like this
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6889/wrongoj7.jpg)
with the mask and nothing hanging from the arms :(
 stoffe
08-17-2007, 7:17 PM
When i extract those files and rename them to
H_Silk01.txb
N_Silk01.txb
N_SilkNM_.mdx
and
N_SilkNM_.mdl
And place them in the override folder she appears like this
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6889/wrongoj7.jpg)
with the mask and nothing hanging from the arms :(

Weird, looks like you haven't replaced the model, just the texture. I suspect the models are named internally as well, and if you just change the filename and not the object name it causes trouble.

You shouldn't need to rename/replace the models, just change the value in the MODELA column for line 35 and 201 to N_Prnces_ in the appearance.2da file and she'll use that model instead. (You'll still need to extract the model and textures to the override folder though.)
 The Gizka
08-18-2007, 5:47 AM
Weird, looks like you haven't replaced the model, just the texture. I suspect the models are named internally as well, and if you just change the filename and not the object name it causes trouble.

You shouldn't need to rename/replace the models, just change the value in the MODELA column for line 35 and 201 to N_Prnces_ in the appearance.2da file and she'll use that model instead. (You'll still need to extract the model and textures to the override folder though.)
Didn't know you had to change the text file as well :P
It's working perfectly now, thanks :D
 tk102
08-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Just fixed the bug in JSE that was causing journal entries to disappear and updated download link in the first post.
 sekan
08-28-2007, 1:55 PM
void main() {
if(!GetHasStyle(GetPlayer(), STYLE_SINGLESWORD))
AddCombatStyle(GetPlayer(), STYLE_SINGLESWORD, 1, STYLEMAP_NONE, TRUE);

ApplyStyleAdvanceLine(GetPlayer(), STYLE_SINGLESWORD, 48);
}

What if i want to add a magic style to the game? How would i do then? And Which file is that the script search in?
 stoffe
08-28-2007, 3:17 PM
What if i want to add a magic style to the game? How would i do then? And Which file is that the script search in?

Assuming you've added your new style to the stylesuperlist.2da and StyleData.2da file (and created the new 2DA files required for it), you could use a script fired from a reward event to add the style to the player. You use the line number from stylesuperlist.2da to do this. So if for example you add your new style at line 111, the script could look like:

void main() {
if(!GetHasStyle(GetPlayer(), 111))
AddCombatStyle(GetPlayer(), 111, 1, STYLEMAP_NONE, TRUE);
}

Though you don't need to make any script at all if you do it properly like the other styles in the game and add the style as a powerup item instead. You do this by adding a new line for it in powerups.2da. On this line, set the columns like:
name = text label for your item, doesn't matter
useablebynpc = 0
script = j99_g_addstyle
soundcue = pl_powerup
guiicon = ui_i_powerup
scriptvalue = line number in stylesuperlist.2da
combatonly = 0
(Set all other to ****)

Then you add a new line to items.2da which points to your new powerup. Set the columns like:
LABEL = text label for your item, doesn't matter
TYPE = powerups
ID = line number in powerups.2da of your new line
COST = silvers a merchant would sell the style for
3DMODEL = w_icon_test
ICON = name of your TGA file with the style icon
STRREF_NAME = dialog.tlk strref to entry with the name of your style
STRREF_DESC = dialog.tlk strref to entry with the description text of your style
SCRIPT = ****
REWARD = 9

With this done, all you need to do to grant your style is to modify one of the ar_*.2da files (which handles handing out rewards and loot for the various areas) and set the line number of your line in items.2da in the Item column and your style will be given when that reward is handed out.

If the reward event you want to use already gives out another item you can specify several items separated by a comma, like... "177,42" ...to give out both item 177 and item 42.
 sekan
08-29-2007, 9:42 AM
Assuming you've added your new style to the stylesuperlist.2da and StyleData.2da file ...if for example you add your new style at line 111, the script could look like...

Though you don't need to make any script at all if you do it properly like the other styles in the game and add the style as a powerup item instead. You do this by adding a new line for it in powerups.2da....
I know that you could do that but the module i want to place the style in have no 2da. Thanks anyway :)
Page: 3 of 9