Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

the old Lucas Art games were much better...

Page: 1 of 3
 Jem
11-19-2000, 11:03 PM
I rather play the old Lucas art games like "Days of the tentacle", "Same and Max", Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis" or "Full Throtle" they rule and are much more fun ! Lucas Art and other companies (I insist in lucas art because they created my favorite role playing games (those said above)) seems to think that only 3d counts and forgot how to do great games! C'mon, the first monkey island was the best episode I had lots of fun playing it but no fun at all with the new "better graphics" ones and "Indiana Jones and the infernal machine" is a lot worst!
THE FUN WENT AWAY ALONG WITH THE PIXELS !

till this day I still play "Days of the tentacle" over and over again, it's my favorite game of all time !! and I'm sure that the way games are going, DOTT will for ever be my favorite game!
 Poor Bastard
11-19-2000, 11:06 PM
Full throttle ROCKS.
So does the new Monkey Island.

------------------
You know one thing that will really make a Jedi mad? Just run up and kick him in the ass...
 Jem
11-19-2000, 11:11 PM
the only recent game that was worth was "Grim Fandago" ..... but I still prefer the oldies...
 Keyan Farlander
11-19-2000, 11:11 PM
Well, when your game looks like crap, you better make it fun. They seem to think that means that now that their games don't look like crap they can be boring.
 Poor Bastard
11-19-2000, 11:14 PM
Good 3D Games LA Made In My Opinion Why Am I Putting Caps In The Beginning Of Each Word? Who Knows Here We Go:

DF
JK
XW
TF
XvT
XWA

I hope Obi-wan will actually be a *GASP* fun game...

------------------
You know one thing that will really make a Jedi mad? Just run up and kick him in the ass...<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by Poor Bastard (edited November 19, 2000).]
 Jem
11-19-2000, 11:16 PM
bouhou my "Days of the tentacle" CD is all scratched up and doesn't work, I can't play it anymore !!! I think I'll buy it again...
 Thrawn
11-19-2000, 11:17 PM
I love Fate Of Atlantis, but all of the X-wing games and Jk games are sweet too.

------------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin
ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,SOB_Thrawn
Rogue 6
 Poor Bastard
11-19-2000, 11:17 PM
I have been wanting to play Full Throttle again for the last 2 years, but I can't get it to work on W98...

------------------
You know one thing that will really make a Jedi mad? Just run up and kick him in the ass...<font size=1>

Thrawn
11-19-2000, 11:18 PM
I don't remember u introducing yourself? Do we have a newbie that knows how to be a newbie? http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/biggrin.gif)

------------------
-Ben Franklin
Rogue 6

[This message has been edited by Thrawn (edited November 19, 2000).]
 Keyan Farlander
You may be able to send it to Lucasarts and have them send you replacement media.
 Jem
yeah, TF is the best flight game ......

[This message has been edited by Jem (edited November 29, 2000).]
 Poor Bastard
11-19-2000, 11:19 PM
HAHA. Keyan double posted!!

EDIT: Dammit! He deleted it before I could take a SCREENSHOT

------------------

Keyan Farlander
11-19-2000, 11:20 PM
What are you talking about, you moron?

------------------
Keyan Farlander

"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to factor large prime numbers."
- Bill Gates
 Jem
11-19-2000, 11:20 PM
Keyan Farlander you're right !!! I can ask them to send me the "Monster" file that I can't copy from the CD !!!
 Jem
11-19-2000, 11:22 PM
Poor Bastard I think u can download a patch 2 play FT on win98...
 Poor Bastard
11-19-2000, 11:22 PM
Keyan you CHEATED, you CHEATER.

And thanks for the heads up there, Jem... I'll be sure to check it out.

------------------

Keyan Farlander
11-19-2000, 11:23 PM
And yet you have no proof...
 Poor Bastard
11-19-2000, 11:25 PM
I have WITNESSES

------------------
You know one thing that will really make a Jedi mad? Just run up and kick him in the ass...
 Thrawn
11-19-2000, 11:28 PM
I saw it! You suck Keyan. http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/wink.gif)

------------------
-Ben Franklin
Rogue 6
 Keyan Farlander
11-19-2000, 11:28 PM
j00 = liar!

[This message has been edited by Keyan Farlander (edited November 19, 2000).]
 Poor Bastard
11-19-2000, 11:32 PM
j00 double posted. WITNESSES:

1)*ME*
2)Thrawn
3)n00t(who just went offline)

------------------
 Keyan Farlander
11-19-2000, 11:35 PM
None of them count for the following reasons:

1) Moron.
2) Liar.
3) Moronic liar.
 Thrawn
11-19-2000, 11:39 PM
PB, how come you get little stars by your name? http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/wink.gif)
Keyan, I resent that remark. When I was in the big WWII nobody thought I was a liar, saving the 300 people in my group by carrying them individually 100 miles through the artic, uphill http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/wink.gif)

------------------
-Ben Franklin
Rogue 6
 Poor Bastard
11-19-2000, 11:39 PM
*GASP* Insolent fool!

Disclaimer: I would have posted a witty and/or funny comment, but I am officialy leaving to Real Life® and will be back only tommorow.

------------------
 Nute Gunray
11-19-2000, 11:57 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there hasn't been a time when I've said something untrue.

------------------
http://members.aol.com/stormhawk337/jup_sept.gif)
I have a Jedi Sceptre of Universal Obfuscation.
 Thrawn
11-20-2000, 12:01 AM
Same here
Hey Keyan, I was at the Physics Building all day today for an It's Academic Competition.

------------------
-Ben Franklin
Rogue 6
 JR2000Z
11-20-2000, 12:03 AM
I have all the LucasArts PC games except the WW2 sims and the desktop adventures.I only have the Masters of Terras Kassi for Playstation.
 Keyan Farlander
11-20-2000, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Thrawn:
Same here
Hey Keyan, I was at the Physics Building all day today for an It's Academic Competition.

How was it?
 Fondas
11-20-2000, 8:57 AM
Guys, you <u>DO</u> understand that you've just hijacked the first decent thread a new member has created since... WWII !

I'm serious about this....

Jem, welcome aboard !

You are right about the old LA's games, especially the Adventures ( and not RPG's as you have wrongly stated http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/wink.gif)

Great graphics and 3D sound cannot substitute for lack of gameplay.

------------------
"No matter how pretty the bait,
a hook is still a hook !"
TZG+7

[This message has been edited by Fondas (edited November 20, 2000).]
 Air Juggernaut
11-20-2000, 11:27 AM
Dark Forces was the best Star Wars game for me, Jedi Knight is good but donґt have the ambience of DF, the creativity of the DF levels and the background music of DF.
Dark Forces ROCKS!!!

------------------
Also knowed as Kanon
Let get those guys
 Jem
11-20-2000, 12:04 PM
Fondas I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to think the way I do.... Oh yeah and you're right, I meant Adventure games not RPG (I was half asleep when I wrote it)

I hope one of those Lucas Arts responsibles gets to read this and realize how "good graphics and sound" made them forget how to do good games
as I said before:

Jem

karma@greatguitar.net
 Jem
11-20-2000, 4:28 PM
Fondas I just realized you're part of the XWA Community Center well it's even better that a moderater thinks like I do

---------------

Jem
11-21-2000, 11:54 AM
sigh, the decent replies for this topic are minimum guess most people forgot what a fun game was and are blinded by good graphics and sound.... almost everyone I know judges a game by it's look and when they buy it they say "oh, bouhou this game actually sucks and I have no money left!" Never rate a game by the way it looks NEVER !
as I said befor and will say 4 ever:

I'm really disapointed in the evolution, or should I say the "dismantling" of games...

Jem
 Zraii
11-21-2000, 5:15 PM
Jem is right, I love playing the old games from LA.
The graphics in games aint everything. A lot though, but not everything.

And that I think includes even in movies. I don't think TPM was that all Star Wars movie. Yes it was a good movie but not as the original ones. And that mostly, I think, is cause of all the digitalizing in TPM. It didn't feel real. And even worse EP2 will be full digitized.

/Zraii

------------------
"Control unruly portions of the Galaxy through a fear of force, rahter than actual force itself."
----------------------
http://opt.alliacehq.org)
 Jem
11-21-2000, 5:51 PM
True Zraii, very true....
Episode 1 was a real disapointment compared to the first 3 star wars...
especially that goofy character in the movie..forgot the name...he was an alien that was suppose to be funny, he spoiled the entire movie...

Jem

-------------

-------------
 Poor Bastard
11-21-2000, 6:07 PM
Originally posted by Jem:

especially that goofy character in the movie..forgot the name...he was an alien that was suppose to be funny, he spoiled the entire movie...

<font size=+1>ROFL</font>

------------------
 Jem
11-21-2000, 6:29 PM
when I said "forgot the name" I meant to say that alien's name and not the name of the movie ( it's SW episode one....duh!!) ....think it was Jar Jar or something like that

and "Poor Bastard" I can't see the use of you're pointless quote.

back to the main topic, LA should like do a poll betwen old LA games and the new ones, I think that they'll find out that Great graphics and 3D sound cannot substitute for lack of gameplay.

Jem

-----------

THE FUN WENT AWAY ALONG WITH THE PIXELS
 Poor Bastard
11-21-2000, 6:50 PM
I found it phunny that you forgot Jar Jar's name, just that... sheesh...

------------------
 Nute Gunray
11-21-2000, 6:52 PM
I think all old games suck. I KNOW TIE Fighter is a great game, but I can't play it because it HURTS to see.

------------------
 Jem
11-21-2000, 8:57 PM
I have more fun playing Tie Fighter than X Wing Alliance

TF is the best flight game that LA has come up with...

Nute Gunray you're eyes hurt because u have been blinded by "good graphics", I'm sure you don't bother playing games that don't use 3DFX.....well correct me if I'm wrong, If I'm right than u should try these games that hurt you're eyes more often because they r the best that have been created (FUN IS GARANTED) especially for "Days of the tentacle"

Jem
 Keyan Farlander
11-21-2000, 9:12 PM
I don't think TIE Fighter was hurt by the graphics upgrade in got in TIE Fighter 95, though.
 Poor Bastard
11-21-2000, 9:15 PM
I'm sure you don't bother playing games that don't use 3DFX

I don't mind paying games that don't use 3DFX. I prefer OpenGL. It's prettier http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/wink.gif)

------------------
 Nute Gunray
11-21-2000, 9:18 PM
I didn't even HAVE a computer that could RUN TF or Dark Forces until after Jedi Knight was out.
I had a Tandy 1000 until LATE 1997.

------------------
 Jem
11-21-2000, 9:23 PM
Have any of u played Maniac Mansion ?? it's the episode before "days of the tentacle"

that games is so old but so funny never could finish it....always got stuck somewhere, hey maybe I'll try again....

Jem
 Thrawn
11-21-2000, 11:07 PM
It was pretty good. My team one 2 out of 5 games. We lost because two seniors didn't show, so I was bumped up from the captain of B team to being on A team.

------------------
-Ben Franklin
Rogue 6
 Zraii
11-22-2000, 7:52 AM
Originally posted by Keyan Farlander:
I don't think TIE Fighter was hurt by the graphics upgrade in got in TIE Fighter 95, though.

True, but the music SUCKS!!! That even include XvT and all the others with CD music playing. Its more fun that u hear when the imperials arrives, for example, in the original X-Wing game.
I even remembered the first time i bought X-Wing. I remember asking the clerk if it really was that good graphics. I also remember that the game cost about 649sek abd that would be about $60 i think. It was a long time ago.

/Zraii

------------------
"Control unruly portions of the Galaxy through a fear of force, rahter than actual force itself."
----------------------
http://opt.alliacehq.org)
 Jem
11-22-2000, 9:27 AM
Thrawn what r u talking about?

for me music, sound and graphics are not important in a game, GamePlay is the important stuff, Gameplay!

---------

GUNNER
11-22-2000, 9:55 AM
I never played XvsT but I loved Dark Forces. the levels were cool and the guns were awesome. I haven't played it in about 7 months though. I should load it on the ol 933 and she what she can do.
 Admiral
11-22-2000, 1:16 PM
No one can say I'm obsessed with graphics, I love Rebellion.

------------------
"Dulce bellum inexpertis."
(Sweet is war to those who have never experinced it.) Roman Proverb
 Keyan Farlander
11-22-2000, 4:49 PM
Originally posted by Zraii:
True, but the music SUCKS!!! That even include XvT and all the others with CD music playing. Its more fun that u hear when the imperials arrives, for example, in the original X-Wing game.

I liked that as well, but I'd have to say I like it better with REAL music (though not by very much). Of course, XWA has the best of both worlds. The one thing that was great about X-Wing was that you could pick your wingmen in the original game, and they took that out of X-wing 95 http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/frown.gif)
Page: 1 of 3