Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Stormtrooper Mod

Page: 4 of 5
 The Spartan
03-18-2005, 9:34 AM
Originally posted by TK-8252
Stormtroopers are considered the elite force by Imperial standards. And yes, they work as squads. If you notice in the movies, there were small squads on the Tantive IV (the squad that captured Leia was four troopers) and on Cloud City.

The majority of Stormtroopers actually are clones. They're clones of random political people and their cousins, etc. Then there's also some enlisted and drafted.

They are using the word elite to represent that stormtroopers are supposed to be skilled, not that they are on par with a group like Delta Squad. By your reasoning every clonetrooper would be elite too then. Besides, if your idea of an elite unit is two squad of stormtroopers who can't hit the broadside of a barn at twenty meters, or get killed by teddy bears, have at it
 TK-425
03-18-2005, 1:23 PM
Have you read anything I or TK-8252 have posted in this thread? Those two arguments have been shot down. Just wait untill we realese something then tell me its boring, bad, whatever. I just need help on how to put this thing together. Once thats done we can change some miner things. But I dont think I will change the stormtroopers to storm commandos.
 Oidar at Work
03-18-2005, 1:40 PM
Originally posted by TK-425
Have you read anything I or TK-8252 have posted in this thread? Those two arguments have been shot down. Just wait untill we realese something then tell me its boring, bad, whatever. I just need help on how to put this thing together. Once thats done we can change some miner things. But I dont think I will change the stormtroopers to storm commandos.

He doesn't listen or read for that matter. People like him come in say stupid stuff then leave like the idiots they are. This will be a great mod and hardly boring.
 El Sitherino
03-18-2005, 2:28 PM
Originally posted by The Spartan
Besides, if your idea of an elite unit is two squad of stormtroopers who can't hit the broadside of a barn at twenty meters, or get killed by teddy bears, have at it In the movies Nazi's shot rather crappily, yet in real life they shot rather well. Get what I'm saying? Bad guys have to shoot bad so the good guys can win. :)

It's how the movies work.
 The Spartan
03-18-2005, 2:49 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
In the movies Nazi's shot rather crappily, yet in real life they shot rather well. Get what I'm saying? Bad guys have to shoot bad so the good guys can win. :)

It's how the movies work.

True enough. Right you are....... cause Luke sure wasn't a match for Stormtroopers........

TK......I *WILL* wait for the mod because I support it. And he only tried to shoot those arguments down and failed miserably. If you are going to make it a stormtrooper squad it isn't going to be "realistic" as YOU said you wanted it to be, but that does not bother me. As long as it is fun, go for it and is at least close to what it should be, it is cool. Besides, even if the normal troopers aren't the Empires very best (But instead clones of politicians and cousins who don't meet up to Mandalorian standards), Stormies are still, imo, better than any dirty rebel and far more skilled than their equivalents in every army save their early bretheren and Mandolorians!
 TK-8252
03-18-2005, 4:11 PM
To be fair, Stormtroopers only stink when shooting at the hero. They mopped up the Rebel resistance onboard the Tantive IV in a matter of minutes. And they killed all the Rebel Commandos who were pinned down at the Endor shield bunker. 'Course... just not Han and Leia.
 TK-425
03-18-2005, 8:26 PM
Or Chewbacca, R2-D2, and C-3PO, aside from that no one else died. Proves InsaneSith's point does it not?

Originally posted by The Spartan
True enough. Right you are....... cause Luke sure wasn't a match for Stormtroopers........

TK......I *WILL* wait for the mod because I support it. And he only tried to shoot those arguments down and failed miserably. If you are going to make it a stormtrooper squad it isn't going to be "realistic" as YOU said you wanted it to be, but that does not bother me. As long as it is fun, go for it and is at least close to what it should be, it is cool. Besides, even if the normal troopers aren't the Empires very best (But instead clones of politicians and cousins who don't meet up to Mandalorian standards), Stormies are still, imo, better than any dirty rebel and far more skilled than their equivalents in every army save their early bretheren and Mandolorians!
I thank your support. It will be realistic to make it a Stormtrooper mod, TK's perspective (or mine, the Official litterature's, Stardestroyer.net's (wich is very hard to reguard as a failure) was not shot down. If you say anything different, its your opinion, but I know I'm right. And you are right about the rebels, that answer I give to the wishes of someone wanting a rebel commando mod:p But thanks for your support, without support there would be no mod's.
 The Spartan
03-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
To be fair, Stormtroopers only stink when shooting at the hero. They mopped up the Rebel resistance onboard the Tantive IV in a matter of minutes. And they killed all the Rebel Commandos who were pinned down at the Endor shield bunker. 'Course... just not Han and Leia.

True enough!!! Darn "heroes" making Imperials look bad. I guess I am just stange for considering Vader the hero and the rebels as terrorist. I suppose it is also wrong to hail Boba Fett as a man of justice in apprehending a known Drug runner. Let's face it, all that spice Han was running wasn't sugar and sure wasn't legal!

Boba Fett for the war on drugs :P
 TK-425
03-19-2005, 9:05 AM
I wouldnt consider it strange, just unusual:p
 agentj64
03-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Why not a Rebel Commando Mod?

Personally I'd love to play it. Heck I'd prolly help model and animate for that. the idea just sounds cool. Steal somethign from Galaxies: a mission to save admiral ackbar from dantooine, or maybe something during the battle of denaab.

ahh.. sweet.. :0

that blasted ending of Republic commando has me mad again. gah and i jsut finished watching rotj..
 TK-8252
03-20-2005, 1:30 AM
Originally posted by agentj64
Why not a Rebel Commando Mod?

Because a big part of the game is the helmet, armor, squad revive, none of which Rebels could have.

Plus the Rebels suck.
 TK-425
03-20-2005, 9:13 AM
How does "Stormtrooper Mod" sound? I know its a little dull but it sounds ok to me.
 Redtech
03-21-2005, 10:19 AM
"The empire's finest". :)

How's that?
 Deth Metal
03-21-2005, 8:25 PM
Or *winces* Imperial Commando? :atat: :deathstar :deathii:
 PhireStorm
03-21-2005, 8:38 PM
how about-
"Imperial Elites"
 The Watchman
03-22-2005, 8:03 AM
Hey I think this is great idea for a mod and it got me thinking, has anyone here has read the novel "Survivor's Quest" by Timothy Zahn? In the book the Empire of Hand (something to do with Thrawn, I won't delve into that) revived the stormtrooper idea using crackshot troops both human and alien (humanoid), well a 4-man stormtrooper squad was sent on a mission in the book and well let's say it brought back my respect for stormtroopers. The squad was part of a legion based on a legion from the original Empire that although i cant find in the starwars databank is still mention in other EU books, The 501st also known as 'Vader's Fist'. They were his personal legion of elites, however they were decked out and armed like other stormies with one or two small extras but they looked the same so the enemy couldnt tell if they were new recruits or veterans. Well I just thought that basing the mod on the original 501st in the time of the empire would be awesome. That way you could still use the stormtrooper armour and keep it realistic. A cool title for the mod would be: "The 501st : Vader's Fist"

Just my ideas lol. I hope anyone could be bothered reading that.
 TK-425
03-22-2005, 9:24 AM
Welcom to Lucas Forums The Watchman! Anyway thatnks guys for the ideas, I especialy like "Empire's Finest" but if anyone els has some ideas please state them. As for "Vader's Fist" I dont think I'll base it off of that specific squad, it is a good idea, its open to brainstorming.
 TK-8252
03-22-2005, 9:04 PM
The first mission would be the Tantive IV, then you'd be sent down to Tatooine to search for R2 and 3PO. Starting out on the Tantive IV would make for a nice easy mission, because the Rebel Fleet Troopers would be some weak enemies. There would need to be some sort of introduction like on Kamino for the commandos. Maybe in training at the Imperial Academy on Carida.

To show Grudge's brutal nature, on Tatooine I imagine him patrolling the streets, disgusted at being surrounded by non-human lifeforms. He'd pick fights, looking for any justification for using his blaster. Some Jawas get in his way, he just shoves them down with a curse. Eventually he picks a fight with some gangsters, which happen to be part of Jabba's entourage, and leads to an ugly brawl.

After the Tatooine missions, the next campaign would be on Hoth, then Endor.
 TK-425
03-23-2005, 7:00 PM
Much needed. Thanks!
 TK-425
03-23-2005, 7:50 PM
Here is what the inside of the helmet might look like. I am thinking of making the middle fade to transparent in the middle for the crosshair and view.
http://img10.exs.cx/img10/3224/sthud2qp.jpg)
 TK-8252
03-23-2005, 8:02 PM
http://img10.exs.cx/img10/3224/sthud2qp.jpg)

It'd be too hard to see out of that. You couldn't see what's in front of you, let alone aim, even with a crosshair. It's like how you don't really see your nose as anything more than a blur in your vision unless you look for it. Just like how if you wear glasses, it looks like there's just one big piece of glass and not two pieces. That's how it should be with the helmet.
 Nokill
03-24-2005, 9:15 AM
yes maby you can add the edges but for the rest it looks like one big glas ;)
unless you have a LOT of space in that helmet
 TK-425
03-24-2005, 10:22 AM
I am thinking of making the middle fade to transparent.
So it would kind of be like looking through your two eyes.
 TK-425
03-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Since the HUD I previously linked for you guys would be too wide for your screen, I altered it to take advantage of the hieght if the screen.
http://img231.exs.cx/img231/535/sthudg4im.th.jpg) (http://img231.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img231&image=sthudg4im.jpg)
 adillon
03-24-2005, 12:31 PM
the HUD in RC resembled what the outside of the helmet looked like, but they took some liberties and made it much wider allowing for greater view of what's in front of you.

from the exterior, the portion which is seen through is a relatively narrow "T".
http://img63.exs.cx/img63/6126/91493820040213screen0303og.jpg)

from the inside, it is much wider allowing for more visability. but that could also be due to the fact that it's located close to the face.
http://img66.exs.cx/img66/1343/149776full5mo.jpg)
 PhireStorm
03-24-2005, 3:38 PM
This is my opinion. Since you can see out of your eyes with out seeing a nose, the feild of plain should be clear, pardon a small bump to simultae the feel of a stormtroopers helmet. I made my own HUD for you guys to understand at what i mean. >>
http://img233.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img233&image=project19yd.jpg)
 TK-425
03-24-2005, 4:59 PM
Wow! Nice work Phirestorm. Could you combine more of the shape in my picture with your HUD? I think I probably want to let the outer edges & corners be slightly out of view, somewhat like yours but a little less. Also, I probably want the crosshair from SWRC, only with a dot in the middle to help in accuracy Otherwise, do whatever you want to to make it look right. Oh, and keep the bump on the top, it makes it look cool.
http://img231.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img231&image=sthudg4im.jpg)
 Deth Metal
03-24-2005, 6:10 PM
I think if Phirestorm were to bring up the outsides of the lower part in an upward curve and then sharpen the upward lift in the middle, that would make the lower part of the helmet perfect. The only other thing would be to have a sharp dip at the top to suggest that there are two separate eye holes yet because of how close you are to the helmet your perception makes it into one image.

Other than that, I think PS has it perfectly.
 Nokill
03-24-2005, 6:14 PM
can't wait to see the final for this ;)
 TK-425
03-24-2005, 7:37 PM
Me niether;)

Originally posted by Deth Metal
I think if Phirestorm were to bring up the outsides of the lower part in an upward curve and then sharpen the upward lift in the middle, that would make the lower part of the helmet perfect. The only other thing would be to have a sharp dip at the top to suggest that there are two separate eye holes yet because of how close you are to the helmet your perception makes it into one image.

Other than that, I think PS has it perfectly.
I agree.
 Boba Tea
03-24-2005, 9:09 PM
Don't know whether you've seen this(or someone's already posted it) but someone on GameSpot made a concept of an Imperial Commando. All they really changed was the helmet though; But it looks pretty good. Perhaps you could use it for reference.

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2005/news/03/17/imperial_thumb001.jpg)
 PhireStorm
03-24-2005, 10:42 PM
I have made the new hud!, I included suggestions from you guys, but reorganized it a little to make it flow better. I'm opposed to the sharp point, it will be much to distracting, but a smoother bump will be better.
http://img39.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img39&image=hud1to.png)

I made some of it transparent too, so here what it could look like as a concept in-game.
http://img14.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img14&image=hudinaction5lp.png)
 Deth Metal
03-25-2005, 12:49 AM
On the top, drop the outside edges a tad, it makes it look like the eyeholes extend back behind his head.

EDIT: My Paint skills are sub-par, but this is a general idea of what I'm talking about...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/DethMetal/hud1to1b.png)
 Nokill
03-25-2005, 4:10 AM
it looks pretty nice already PhireStorm :D

now all you need are sounds and the model itself :)
sounds shoud be no problem
if you need publicity i coud make a mod page for this mod on my site :rolleyes:
 TK-425
03-25-2005, 9:10 AM
Thanks Boba Tea but those are Republic Stormtrooper heads put on a Clone Commando body, thanks anyway.

And PhireStorm, thats pretty good (and thanks for your effort) but I'm not crazy about your last one. I dont really want you to stray to much off of what you had before. I think if you could go back to the one you had, keep the square bump on the top, just raise the outer bottom edges a little, and make the center just a little sharper, but not too sharp and not too high into the center of the image, basicly make it more like the shape of what I had. And if you dont want to do anymore with it, if you could give me the images I could fiddle with it.

And Nokill, I might take you up on that offer in time, I was also thinking of doing a writeup call on Republiccommando.net.
 Nokill
03-26-2005, 8:20 AM
if your interested yust post on our forum ;)
 Redtech
03-28-2005, 8:54 AM
Woah,decent Hud display! Just one thing. You don't need a shield bar do you? These are storm troopers, their arnour doesn't self-regenerate, anyway, make it harder for the player. :P

Also, can't the "health" bar be tucked over the "nose"? doesn't need to be a massive bar like in RC, something modest could work?
 TK-8252
03-28-2005, 1:20 PM
Well maybe the armor could sort of "reseal" itself after taking damage. Sort of like how the commando's visor wiper fixes the visor when it gets cracks in it.
 TK-425
03-28-2005, 8:12 PM
I really like that idea TK. I also was thinking how to explain away the armor recharge. I was just going to wave it away with "troopers fix the armor after a short period of time"

While we are on the topic of the HUD,...
http://i147.exs.cx/img147/7780/2hud3go.jpg)

It would be nice if someone could make it a larger picture.

We can edit it easier with this picture
http://img96.exs.cx/img96/5981/3hud6kg.jpg)
 Fds
03-28-2005, 10:00 PM
 TK-425
03-29-2005, 8:56 AM
Thanks, but we already looked at that. And kind of ruled it out for now.
 TK-425
03-31-2005, 10:16 AM
Could someone make the HUD bigger without ruining the rez?
 TK-425
04-01-2005, 7:20 PM
Well, thanks to everyone in the thread. I finally got the HUD to be close to the right size. But before I show everyone, I want to add all the details. So, TK, is this (http://img31.exs.cx/img31/43/helmet221ws.jpg) whare the HUD is? It doesent quite line up.
 Redtech
04-02-2005, 9:18 AM
Resealing armour? Well, don't start arguing about EU vs non EU. :P Sounds OK. I dunno, I just feel stormies don't have blatent high tech going for them, more function than style obviously, so I feel a "modest" Hud works in their favour.

Heck, it's your mod anyway, sounds more exciting by the day!
 TK-8252
04-04-2005, 9:41 PM
So, TK, is this (http://img31.exs.cx/img31/43/helmet221ws.jpg) whare the HUD is? It doesent quite line up.

The HUD displays are in the visor, where the eyes are.
 TK-425
04-05-2005, 1:26 PM
I'm talking about the inside of the helmet. What I am asking is, is that piece of metel whare you would view the HUD if your head was inside the helmet?
 adillon
04-06-2005, 2:58 PM
i was under the impression that a HUD isn't something you necessarily look AT, but rather something that is in your field of vision. and its purpose is so the viewer does not have to look away from what is directly in front. so TK-8252's reply is accurate, as all the ammo/health/shield information would be projected onto the 2 helmet viewports.
 TK-425
04-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Redtech
Resealing armour? Well, don't start arguing about EU vs non EU.
What do you mean by that? Is this mentioned someware in the EU?
 TK-425
04-07-2005, 10:40 AM
My question still inst answered though. I want to know if that piece of metel is whare you look out of the helmet, via the eyepieces. Or, should I just surround the eyepieces with a black rubbery material?
 Redtech
04-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Oh, you mean because the eypeice isn't transparent? Hmmm..

I'd say add the rubber around the eyes and screw the metal, it is EU! :p
Page: 4 of 5