Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

OT DVD ghost scene

Page: 1 of 3
 Zerosaber
10-25-2004, 4:06 PM
Are you guys satisfied that they replaced Shaw with Hayden in the last gohst scene in ROTJ? I sure am not.
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-25-2004, 5:09 PM
For now, I like the mature Anakin as he was (or could have been) at the end of his life. However, after ROTS that may change (its supposed to anyway).
 El Sitherino
10-25-2004, 5:34 PM
oh god, not again. ;_; this will get ugly as all hell.
 ET Warrior
10-25-2004, 7:10 PM
I'm with Sith, bad things happen in these debates. Suffice to say, Hayden smells funni :D
 El Sitherino
10-25-2004, 7:44 PM
but he looks delicious ;_;
 Rogue15
10-25-2004, 8:10 PM
yeah it's better that hayden's in.
 ET Warrior
10-25-2004, 8:40 PM
Originally posted by Rogue15
yeah it's better that hayden's in.

Must......resist....urge.....to.........reply....

*blood vessels in brain explode*
 Kain
10-25-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Must......resist....urge.....to.........reply....

*blood vessels in brain explode*

I'm with you...except the anurism part. I'll just take my leave.
 Lynk Former
10-25-2004, 10:22 PM
What's so wrong with Hayden jeez.
 Jan Gaarni
10-26-2004, 12:18 AM
He's not Sebastian Shaw. :)

There better be a damn good explaination in Ep. III to make me like that change. :D
 Lynk Former
10-26-2004, 12:26 AM
XD And what if it doesn't? You're all gonna whine till your throats are hurt and complain on the internet till your fingers bleed and your keyboard no longer works because of all the blood? :p
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-26-2004, 12:28 AM
Yeah, most likely. Propably gonna happen too, IMO. But I'll at least wait and see.
 Sivy
10-26-2004, 1:14 AM
i'm not to keen on the hayden ghost. i just hope its explained well in ep III, and then everyone will go... 'oh right, that makes sense actually'
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-26-2004, 1:42 AM
I hope so too, but I fear that it wil not be. And I doubt there will be an explanation that will satisfy everyone. I'm sure there will be plenty of people still complaining afterwards. I just hope that I am not one of them.
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-26-2004, 7:06 AM
must...have...shaw...back...[gasp]

need...good...reason

otherwise....not...satisfy...anger...and...hate[gasp]

[force lightning]oww[/force lightning]
 Prime
10-26-2004, 7:59 AM
Can we please stop beating this dead horse?
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-26-2004, 9:18 AM
I don't think this qualifies as a dead horse
 ET Warrior
10-27-2004, 6:40 AM
Originally posted by Lieutenant_kettch
I don't think this qualifies as a dead horse

Yes. Yes it does.
 Zerosaber
10-27-2004, 6:46 AM
The reason I prefer Shaw is because he looked much kinder as Anakin. When he smiles back at Luke it feels more loving. Like the "I'm proud of you son' type thing. When Hayden is in it it he's smile doesen't look kinde and he doesen't look much kinder either. When he smiles back Luke he look like I'm gonna get you Luke or I'm gonna haunt you for the rest of you life type thing. And those of you who have the DVD for OT of Star wars one of the documentries geroge Lucas says this why he puts Hayden in as Anakin instead of Shaw. He what he says 'The reason why I replaced Shaw is because when Anakin dies he doesen't know how to project himself as a ghost so Obi-wan and Yoda project an image of Anakin they last saw him as for Luke' for those of you who want an explanation. To me I don't think is good enough. You would think that Obi-wan and Yoda could see his 'present' form in the afterlife but I guess not.
 Boba Rhett
10-27-2004, 6:51 AM
I prefer Shaw. However....

Lucas isn't done yet, my friends!

http://www.reichnation.com/uploads/haydenjedi%20copy.jpg)

*runs away giggling with ps clasped to his chest*
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-27-2004, 7:38 AM
you know, if they were gonna put hayden in as anakin, they should have put mcgregor in as obi1 and either frank oz or a wookiee in as yoda.... then it would have been cool
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-27-2004, 9:47 AM
Originally posted by Zerosaber
And those of you who have the DVD for OT of Star wars one of the documentries geroge Lucas says this why he puts Hayden in as Anakin instead of Shaw. He what he says 'The reason why I replaced Shaw is because when Anakin dies he doesen't know how to project himself as a ghost so Obi-wan and Yoda project an image of Anakin they last saw him as for Luke' for those of you who want an explanation.

the other problem with that explaination, is why would Anakin not know how to project himself as a ghost, but Obi-Wan and Yoda do? And which documentary is this in?
 Kurgan
10-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Return of the Jedi, during the Vader funeral pyre scene.

Well, on the bright side, the Shaw ghost shot IS on the 4th DVD (along with Fett's old voice), so fans can always look back at the proper moment if they wish. Somebody just needs to cut together a "Star Wars Trilogy: Fanboy Edition" from the various clips available of the old scenes.

Not all the old scenes are in the various trailors and documentaries, etc. but many are. I noticed also that on the prequel discs you get old scenes from the OT too (like much of the old Vader/Obi-Wan duel on the TPM disc).

I won't get into another argument about the changes to the films, but suffice to say, it would have been nice to do an easy side-by-side comparison on the same set.
 Zerosaber
10-27-2004, 5:23 PM
Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
the other problem with that explaination, is why would Anakin not know how to project himself as a ghost, but Obi-Wan and Yoda do? And which documentary is this in?

The answer to the first one is I don't know and there better be a good explanation in Episode 3 but I fear that it will not be explained cause I think it's going to alter Ep 4 and 5. Ep 1 and 2 had a good story but the way Lucas directed it I thought was really lousy and that's why I think most people don't like Ep 1 and 2 as much as the OT. And the answer to the second question is I forgot but try looking at the ROTJ documentary.
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-27-2004, 5:27 PM
Is it in a documentary, or the audio commentary?
 Kurgan
10-30-2004, 4:46 AM
ROTJ Audio Commentary, George Lucas Speaking, during the Vader funeral pyre scene.

Unfortunately, Lucas's statements are vague enough that they could be interpreted a few different ways.

He just says that Anakin found out how to retain his identity, like Yoda and Obi-Wan knew how, so he appeared how he was when he died, as Anakin Skywalker.

Well, wasn't he "Anakin Skywalker" when he killed the Emperor, and said his goodbyes and made peace with Luke and "your sister"?

Some say, well this is logical, because he was still on the "Good Side" when his body was damaged before he needed the suit (since the last time we'll see him without a mask as a member of the Jedi is in Episode III).

However, isn't the fall to the Dark Side the issue, not his injuries? After all, he committed a heinous act of mass murder against the Sandpeople in AOTC. Plus at the end of the movie he got his arm chopped off by Dooku and needed a cybernetic replacement.

Yet, when he's shown as a ghost, he has the same makeup and haircut like we've seen in the publicity shots for Episode III (sorry, but even I got spoiled for that one). Shoulder length long hair (rather than that goofy Padawan braid and short hair), somber expression, etc.

He's 20 something Anakin instead of 40 something Anakin he should be.

In the AOTC commentary in the scene right after the Tusken massacre, we hear Qui Gon's voice and Lucas on the Audio commentary in that scene (with Mace and Yoda) he mentions the "retaining your identity after death" thing again, but why doesn't he mention Qui Gon in the OT commentary? He gives the impression that only Obi-Wan and Yoda knew how to do it and that's how Anakin learned. But if Qui Gon did it first....?

I listened to the TPM commentary straight through (never had done that before) and in it Lucas says that TPM takes place some 30 years before A New Hope, so that's where that data comes from).

Of course Lucas could always change his mind about the stuff he says on the commentary, just that he'll have no more excuses that it was some interviewer misquoting him or fans not remembering. ; )
 Zerosaber
10-30-2004, 10:19 AM
What he said.
 Kain
10-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Wow...I hate George Lucas.
 Zerosaber
10-30-2004, 2:44 PM
Don't we all? :D
 Lynk Former
10-30-2004, 5:55 PM
XD Dramaqueens
 El Sitherino
10-30-2004, 9:06 PM
you people expect too much out of a man, don't like it, fine don't watch. Just get over it and stop hassling. Noone is forcing you to watch the DVD's.
 Zerosaber
10-31-2004, 4:33 AM
Insanesith we're not mad at Lucas we just wish that Shaw was back.
 El Sitherino
10-31-2004, 11:13 PM
Then watch your freaking VHS or edit the DVD yourself. -_-
 Lynk Former
11-01-2004, 12:09 AM
I would like to place this quote...

Originally posted by Zerosaber
Insanesith we're not mad at Lucas we just wish that Shaw was back.

above this quote...

Originally posted by Kain
Wow...I hate George Lucas.

^^
 Kain
11-01-2004, 6:29 AM
Somebody doesn't read the entire threeeeeeeead...:p
 Kurgan
11-01-2004, 7:44 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
you people expect too much out of a man, don't like it, fine don't watch. Just get over it and stop hassling. Noone is forcing you to watch the DVD's.

The idea is if we hassle enough, maybe he'll start to give the fans what they're asking for.

After all, he changed his mind and released TPM & AOTC on DVD and now the OT when before he said no Star Wars DVD's until Episode III is finished).

Originally the "Special Edition of the Special Editions" of the Star Wars films were dismissed by LucasFilm as simply rumors, but turned out to be reality. This in response to fan criticism of some of the shoddiness of the Special Edition changes and stuff that was missed? You decide.

Plus, it's NOT too much to expect from the man to release the original movies that made him so rich, famous and powerful. He has the resources to do it, and it would only make him richer and better appreciated still.

And it's all well and good to say "don't watch it." But if we want the original films on DVD, our only choice is a bootleg, currently. He's not giving the fans what they want. VHS just doesn't cut it quality-wise and degrades with each viewing.

When Lowry Digital restored the trilogy, they made a "digital master" of the Original Films that is cleaned up and ready for any future transfers (including High Def formats). So the excuse that the originals "don't exist anymore" or that it would take "millions of dollars" (more) to release the originals is a bit hard to swallow.

Sure it would cost money to encode and press the discs, print the boxes and ship them to stores. But it's not like he has to restore the films AGAIN to get the originals out, since they already did the work with the restoration they did for the 2004 edition set. It's already done!

As to editing the DVD's, yes, that's now possible and I hope people start taking advantage of that. Of course these would just be fan edits that would be illegal (I'm assuming) to distribute to the public, but that's the best we can do until Lucas comes to his senses again.

No offense intended of course, just respectfully saying why I disagree. ; )
 Lieutenant_kettch
11-01-2004, 7:48 AM
wow, i hate it too when people don't read the entire thread... it's a good thing no one here hates GL...

shaw...need shaw... kill hayden... shaw=ewok song
 Kurgan
11-01-2004, 7:53 AM
People shouldn't feel so bad, I do it too sometimes.

At the minimum, if a thread is super duper long and I don't have time to read the whole thing, I'll just read the initial post and reply to that one.

There's nothing really wrong with that per se, especially if it's a multi-pager that goes off topic or hasn't had a meaningful contribution in awhile. Just saying. ; )
 Lieutenant_kettch
11-01-2004, 7:54 AM
yeah, i hate reading the massive threads too, so i read the first couple pages, and the last couple, to get the gist of it
 El Sitherino
11-01-2004, 9:33 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
No offense intended of course, just respectfully saying why I disagree. ; ) I get what you're saying, but I'm tired of hearing all the negativity, and hatred. How do you even know EVERY DECISION was made by lucas? the guy hires marketers and fund analysts for a reason. My point is not everything is lucas' fault, and it seems kind of stupid to say you hate him, and then ask from him.

(you in the general sense, not directional)
 Zerosaber
11-03-2004, 12:34 PM
I don't really hate George Lucas it just bugs me alot that Shaw isn't back that's all.
 Pho3nix
11-06-2004, 2:25 PM
Definately Sebastian Shaw....Hayden just seems unnatural in that scene. BUT with Anakins both hands and legs chopped off, he couldn't come "back to life" as a normal Jedi looking like Sebastian Shaw. So he comes back in the form that he was before he fell into the Lava pit on Mustafar.
 Palpatine
11-06-2004, 4:49 PM
Sebastian Shaw, besides I belive Anakin never truly turned to the dark side of the force. Like luke said " I still feel good in him "
And when he died he was then back to normal and a good guy, old Anakin, not young so he should have been an old Anakin as a ghost, not young.
 Hekx
11-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Collectors Edition without digital mastered changes and recent DVD set changes, here we come. :)

Personally, I prefer Shaw. What I would have liked to happen is maybe a flash of Hayden being shown or something similar. I'm thankful I have the remastered versions on VHS. :)
 Zerosaber
11-08-2004, 4:24 PM
Don't we all?
 idle
12-15-2004, 3:49 AM
Originally posted by Hekx
What I would have liked to happen is maybe a flash of Hayden being shown or something similar.

If Lucas insisted on editing Hayden in some way I agree that's the way it should have been done.

Otherwise, I voted for Shaw.
 Leper Messiah
12-15-2004, 4:07 AM
i believe Shaw makes more sense storyline wise - after overcoming the dark side and earning his redemption why would Anakin then revert to the young man vulnerable to the dark side that he was, rather than the redeemed man he had become

edit: in the end i think this particular change has a little bit of "because we can" about it
 Prime
12-15-2004, 4:33 AM
Originally posted by Leper Messiah
i believe Shaw makes more sense storyline wise - after overcoming the dark side and earning his redemption why would Anakin then revert to the young man vulnerable to the dark side that he was, rather than the redeemed man he had become. Perhaps because the Shaw version is "more machine now than man" just not quite so twisted and evil.
 El Sitherino
12-15-2004, 5:35 AM
Originally posted by Prime
Perhaps because the Shaw version is "more machine now than man" just not quite so twisted and evil. precisely. Sure he was redeemed, but he was still more machine than man, if I were anakin I would cling to my more human side too. I think lucas made shaw the ghost originally only because he needed to, to make it all seem complete, why wouldn't he use a younger person as anakins ghost if he was going to do that anyway? Because he didn't want it to seem out of place would be my guess, you know if you have someone playing young anakin in the 80's then when making the prequels it's someone totally different, it kinda.... seems weird. I personally don't care who's the ghost, it changes nothing of the story itself.
 Jan Gaarni
12-15-2004, 6:28 AM
I'm sorry, neither of those explaination is good enough for me.
They're rather weak.

More machine than man. Hmph.

Human side is not dictated by how you look. It's how you think and act.
Page: 1 of 3