Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JA Dying?

Page: 1 of 3
 Obi_Kwiet
05-29-2004, 3:09 PM
I used to see up to 10 new threads a day on new exiting mod releaces, or the like. Now i see mabey on new one, and 5 slowly progressing one's about how to enable cheats or technical problems. *yawns* Has JA killed the JK community? That game did in now way live up to the original, and now most of the forums concerning it are dead. Has it killed of intrest? Lucasforums has been alive up untill the last month, but it looks like it is starting to die.
 Obi_Kwiet
05-29-2004, 4:22 PM
This thread would have been answered in a hurry a month ago.
 Kengo
05-29-2004, 4:53 PM
When you say 'LucasForums' you realise that they have forums for loads of different LEC games, from Point and Clicks to KOTOR, X-Wing etc? I doubt JA had any impact on those forums, good or bad - this place is huge.

The JA specific forums are definately a lot quieter than say 6 months or a year ago, but thats hardly a surprise - back then it was new(er), it was fresh(er) and lots of people flooded onto the forums here having recently got the game. People move on to other games and the like, its normal. As for JA killing the JK series, I doubt it. I'd put money on another JK game one day, most certainly. JO seems to have more of a cult following than JA, so maybe they're similarly popular by now.

I don't blame the devlopers or whatever, they brought out a pretty good follow up to JO in my book, but it wasn't super different from JO and it did OK, not spectacularly. The modding community has produced some great stuff, in OKish amounts. C'est la vie!

If he were here, Lassev would have said something poetic. All I can do is basic French I'm afraid.
 Poggle
05-29-2004, 5:05 PM
As mentioned people are always on forums for the newest games the only "ever busy" forums are the swamp and the star wars forums everything else has its fifteen minutes of fame then fizzles out
 Obi_Kwiet
05-29-2004, 5:17 PM
Oops, yeah, I meant the JA section.
 InfErnO
05-29-2004, 7:49 PM
That's probably because most people have realized the extreme boredom of JA. But don't worry, I have always been around and I will post something from time to time. Even though I don't play any of these games here.
 Taos
05-29-2004, 9:38 PM
People come and go. Even though I've never played JA, I still come here to check up on it and try to find out if it's worth playing. I've come to the conclusion that I just might rent it one of these days and try it out, but I'm in no hurry. :)

If there's an expansion pack coming out or something, don't worry, the people will come back. As for now, it's really no surprise to see things like they are.
 Lightning
05-30-2004, 4:30 AM
What's bad about people stoping to talk about a game and start playing it?:rolleyes:
 <-KRT->Dhart
05-30-2004, 7:22 AM
JA has never had a real big MP community and it never will. It does not take long for people to lose interest in any game that has a plethora of balance issues, glitches and bugs.
 Druid Allanon
05-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Neither does it take long for the real gamers to tire of the game if their gameplay is ruined by the excessive amount of honor-infected servers.
 shukrallah
05-30-2004, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I dont play anymore due to the honor stuff. Single player is the way to go now....
 Amidala from Chop Shop
05-31-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Druid Allanon
Neither does it take long for the real gamers to tire of the game if their gameplay is ruined by the excessive amount of honor-infected servers.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
Yeah, I dont play anymore due to the honor stuff. Single player is the way to go now....

FFA players who can't find some good action without all that honor\"laming"\saber-off = peace\"I was chatting-play-acting-emoting you lamer" nonsense really should try Capture the Flag (CTF). It's full of action and combat without all that silly "honor" foolishness. CTF servers typically have all powers enabled (including Lightning) and full weapons (although there are a few saber-only CTF servers).

If you are uncomfortable with it at first, just think of it as a Team FFA game and act accordingly, i.e. forget about the flag and just kill any member of the opposite team that you see. Hang around in your base, stock up on weapons and ammo (leave the health and shields for your flag carrier), and annihilate any member of the opposite team that invades your base. If you do that you will be more valuable to your team than most players.

For extra credit, maximize Team Heal or Team Energize, and if your flag carrier straggles back to your base with the enemy's flag but barely alive, get close to him\her, hit your Team Heal\Energize to revitalize him\her like a medic, and you'll be the hero! Then, if your own flag is in enemy hands, act like a Secret Service agent and defend your flag carrier like a bodyguard until your own flag is returned by your teammates, allowing your flag carrier to score.

If you like playing the game to the fullest, with all of the things the programmers worked so hard to create (weapons\Force powers\a scoring system), and enjoy excitement and action without a lot of phony "honor", crying about "laming", admin-power abuse, apologizing for attacking someone who was chatting, etc., then CTF is the way to go.

Once you play a game that goes into overtime with the score tied, and both flags in the hands of the opposite teams, and everyone is trying simultaneously to keep their flag carrier alive while trying to kill the other team's flag carrier before the other team does the same, you'll be hooked like so many other players have been.
 Prime
05-31-2004, 2:14 PM
Originally posted by Kengo
When you say 'LucasForums' you realise that they have forums for loads of different LEC games, from Point and Clicks to KOTOR, X-Wing etc? I doubt JA had any impact on those forums, good or bad - this place is huge. Well, as a moderator in the KOTOR modding forum, I can tell you that that community is thriving. And it appears that people are close to being able to edit models, so then things might really take off. Since I have started posting some of my KOTOR skins, my site gets about 100 hits a day (and has currently exceeded it's monthly bandwidth).

And with Battlefront, KOTOR 2, and Republic Commando on the horizon, Lucasforums is far from dead.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
Single player is the way to go now.... That's what I usually play. I know a lot of people that still play SP from time to time, so I suspect that there are still more people playing than we hear about on this forum, which caters to MP a lot more.

It is too bad there haven't been more SP maps for JA. I would think they would get a lot of downloads. Luckily the JO ones work in JA...

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
FFA players who can't find some good action without all that honor\"laming"\saber-off = peace\"I was chatting-play-acting-emoting you lamer" nonsense really should try Capture the Flag (CTF). Is the number of players still pretty high on your servers, or have you seen it drop?
 Samuel Dravis
05-31-2004, 2:30 PM
The OJP (http://lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=542) forum is still going strong. The main reason you don't really see too much of the releases & updates on the JKA forum is because we have our own forum, and the website (ojp.jediknight.net) is updated whenever there's something new.

I think the idea that JKA is 'dead' is probably because many people don't have time to post or don't want to post spoilers about the mods they're making. Either that, or you're looking in the wrong place... :p
 Amidala from Chop Shop
05-31-2004, 3:27 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Is the number of players still pretty high on your servers, or have you seen it drop?
The FFA server became less busy when UT2k4 came out because the type of player attracted to that server (normal all-out Free for All) would also be attracted to other similar games that they could play free from whining, "honor", abusive admins, etc. As I have said in other threads, JA FFA servers today are overwhelmingly JA+ Mod\saber-only\Force power-disabled\"FFA dueling"\glorified chatrooms.

I feel sorry for all of the Raven programmers who spent countless hours working out how to get the guns to look and work correctly, have the right damage, etc. and also to get Lightning to look good and do what it does, etc. and work out a scoring system, etc., only to have most servers disable guns, disable most Force powers, and just have people stand around chatting. They probably spent 1% of their time on the chat function, and 99% of their time on things that people use rarely, or not at all.

The regular CTF server is going strong. It is almost never empty, and usually has 10-20 players on it at any given time (and they are all playing, not chatting). The Disruption CTF server just restarted a few weeks ago and it is steadily becoming more busy.

My JK2 FFA-CTF and Disruption CTF servers are still busy.

The number of other JA CTF servers and the activity on them has dropped during the past couple of months.
 Kurgan
05-31-2004, 4:21 PM
I remember as soon as the last JK2 patch was released people loudly declared the death of that game's community, yet here we are some two years later and still with plenty of players.

Likewise we get people declaring the death of this or that game as if their statements alone signal the fact.

Much as we like to give ourselves credit, we (LucasForums) are but a drop of water in the ocean that is the community of this (or any other) game.

What do we have on LucasForums, 60,000+ people? (and only a fraction of those are in the JK related forums). And how many people bought JK2 alone... over a million? Do the math...

I wouldn't interpret lack of postings as proof of a dying community. What is there to say that hasn't already been said? We've heard every long winded speech about game balance, every post about every part of the game somebody got stuck in, every question about every aspect of mod making, and every other debate possible, right? Maybe not, but you get the idea.

Individuals quit (and clans quit), but the community at large continues.

Did JA kill the series? If you believe it has, I would only point to the increase in JK2 players after JA's release. I guess they went "back" to the other game, they didn't give up. So if you hate JA but loved JK2, you can do the same.

Me, I loved JK2, but I have many good (to me) reasons for "sticking with" JA, not least of which is the experience of Siege, something that you really can't find in JK2 (not even SAGA comes close). If you just want some JK2 like tweaks, those exist. If you just want the maps, those exist too (albeit they aren't quite JK2 perfect). For me the new game just offers more. But that's my opinion.
 katanamaru
05-31-2004, 9:01 PM
I still believe that JA is not dead. Infact I play just about daily from anywhere like 45 to an hour. I only play single player since I have a slow connection, but I still have lots of fun with the ladder style maps alone. I would like to see more sp mods/tc's but that is not where the vast majority of the community is. That and the lack of source code drives people from trying, not anybody's fault since they are doing the work with their own free time. But I have recently been playing with the NPC tool and am having a blast with that. So we'll just have to wait and see what happens with the mods in the works. Who knows maybe AotC tc or OJP may bring that spark to the online community.
 Obi_Kwiet
05-31-2004, 9:29 PM
I hope they dissable the chat function in JK3. (Please not another JK3 vs. JK4 debate. :rolleyes: )
 acdcfanbill
06-01-2004, 1:55 AM
well accordnig to alot of people, i've been playing a dying game for well, a long damn time. JK1 was dying too, but there was a community up to and after jk2 came out.
 Ham Yoyo
06-05-2004, 3:59 AM
Originally posted by Leemu Taos
People come and go. Even though I've never played JA, I still come here to check up on it and try to find out if it's worth playing. I've come to the conclusion that I just might rent it one of these days and try it out, but I'm in no hurry. :)

If there's an expansion pack coming out or something, don't worry, the people will come back. As for now, it's really no surprise to see things like they are.

JA is well worth playing. You are missing out on this awesome game. I was in Best Buy yesterday and saw that they had Jedi Academy for the PC for only $19.99. They also have Jedi Outcast PC for $19.99. If anybody hasn't played them this is the time to buy them and prepare yourself for a great experience.

I just found out about and played some SP levels for JO. They are Project Lighthouse, Dash Rendar's Resurrgence, Escape from Takron Galtos, and Spice mines on Kessel. All the levels were great. http://www.map-review.com/) is a great site for addon levels and reviews.
 txa1265
06-05-2004, 6:02 AM
Cool ... haven't seen one of these useless threads in a while ;)

Last I looked, both JKII and JA were still very highly ranked in player numbers on GameSpy ... obviously there are more playing Counterstrike, WWII games and UT2k4.

But it has a very respectable audience and lively modding community.

'scuse me, I have to go blackjack someone and steal their loot ...

Mike

playing Thief 3 is you didn't get the reference
 Prime
06-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
Last I looked, both JKII and JA were still very highly ranked in player numbers on GameSpy ... obviously there are more playing Counterstrike, WWII games and UT2k4. I've actually played a few games the last little while after a fairly long break. There still seems to be a decent number of servers. I didn't have any problem finding games with 10+ people playing.

However on the jk3files server I did get called a lamer because I killed a guy who was standing still with his saber up. I was told that killing a stationary opponant was "gey."
 <-KRT->Dhart
06-05-2004, 1:13 PM
I've actually played a few games the last little while after a fairly long break. There still seems to be a decent number of servers. I didn't have any problem finding games with 10+ people playing.

However on the jk3files server I did get called a lamer because I killed a guy who was standing still with his saber up. I was told that killing a stationary opponant was "gey."

LOL! The JK3files server is "gey".
 Prime
06-05-2004, 2:10 PM
Originally posted by <-KRT->Dhart
LOL! The JK3files server is "gey". Through my research I have reached a similar conclusion.
 Master William
06-05-2004, 6:32 PM
They always seem to whine even when you don't break a rule. Their saber is up, they are standing there, with no chatbox above their head. So as I get it, I am allowed to attack... I do so and am treated like I broke a rule, but the fact is that the person just doesn't like me killing him/her.

and god do I hate the little ****heads who rename to stuff like "Jenny" and use a female model. All they need is to accuse someone for laming and the male admin, hungering for female contact, kicks you.
 Wilhuf
06-05-2004, 8:22 PM
There are more servers and players now than when JA started. What's the problem?

I still play JA multi, occaisonally. Therefore, in my view

JA Lives!

(An ignore player function would most likely fix 75% of all JA multiplayer problems listed in these forums.)
 Kurgan
06-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Master William

and god do I hate the little ****heads who rename to stuff like "Jenny" and use a female model. All they need is to accuse someone for laming and the male admin, hungering for female contact, kicks you

That is so sad. I can't begin to say how pathetic that is...!

If they put an ignore feature in, they'd have to make it so that Admins could override it, otherwise who would listen to their long boring speeches and rule rants? Oops, I mean they have to be able to communicate with players somehow! ; )

PS: Hi Wilhuf! =)
 TK-8252
06-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by <-KRT->Dhart
LOL! The JK3files server is "gey".

Explain how an inanimate object can have homosexual tendancies.

:roleyess:
 _PerfectAgent_
06-06-2004, 1:46 AM
I think he actually got that from what Prime said about what someone in JK3Files said:

Prime
06-06-2004, 2:31 AM
Originally posted by _PerfectAgent_
I think he actually got that from what Prime said about what someone in JK3Files said: Indeed. In any event, I left :)
 Wilhuf
06-06-2004, 9:03 AM
Larf that would be the worst. Long-winded admin speeches. Thank the maker (Raven) we have the option of running our own servers, sparing us of such a fate!

Yes, admins would have to override /ignore for critical comms, such as "I am restarting the server," etc.
 Kengo
06-06-2004, 9:36 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
That is so sad. I can't begin to say how pathetic that is...!

This from a man who has a harem of women on his server whose sole purpose is to shout 'Kurgan is the King' on a regular basis! :eek:
 Kurgan
06-06-2004, 9:50 AM
This from a man who has a harem of women on his server whose sole purpose is to shout 'Kurgan is the King' on a regular basis! :eek:

Yes, I am a hypocrite! :crybaby:
 Prime
06-06-2004, 12:56 PM
This from a man who has a harem of women on his server whose sole purpose is to shout 'Kurgan is the King' on a regular basis! :eek: He does?

GOLD.
 TK-8252
06-06-2004, 9:14 PM
Actually, Prime, do you remember who it was that called attacking idle people "gey"? If I see 'em again, I can warn them for using abusive language (since, "gay" is on the xMod profanity filter, so they had to avoid it with a misspell, which I just added to the filter after hearing this). :)
 Rumor
06-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
Explain how an inanimate object can have homosexual tendancies.

:roleyess:

There are many things in jk2/jk3 that defy explanation.
 Prime
06-07-2004, 2:04 AM
Originally posted by TK-8252
Actually, Prime, do you remember who it was that called attacking idle people "gey"? If I see 'em again, I can warn them for using abusive language (since, "gay" is on the xMod profanity filter, so they had to avoid it with a misspell, which I just added to the filter after hearing this). :) Actually, I don't remember who it was. There were a lot of people playing, and the name didn't stick with me. It wasn't a big deal to me, so I didn't pay it much mind really.

Thanks though. :)
 The_One
06-07-2004, 10:55 AM
You want Single Player levels?

http://darkforces.jediknight.net)

The 3 level demo is nearly ready, and yes, it's great :D
 =tom=
06-08-2004, 10:09 AM
ya as Amidala said , try CTF for some fast paced action
or even better if u want action and want to play tactical u should go here and get the mod http://www.moviebattles.com) (i abandoned JK2 CTF for this)
imo its the best mod ever made for all the JK series
anyway , go there and read what it is all about
 Prime
06-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin_tom
ya as Amidala said , try CTF for some fast paced action
or even better if u want action and want to play tactical u should go here and get the mod http://www.moviebattles.com) (i abandoned JK2 CTF for this)
imo its the best mod ever made for all the JK series
anyway , go there and read what it is all about Do many people play it?
 Mex
06-08-2004, 2:54 PM
Alot of people play it Prime, theres a nice low ping server which normally around 20 people are at, also wireplay servers are there. :)
 Jed Dye
06-08-2004, 6:25 PM
I've only had the game for about 3 months, and I think that siege mode is the coolest multiplayer feature i've ever seen. Except for lamers (I call them "Francers" or "French", for obvious reasons), this is the most fun game i've ever played. Yet, for some reason, no one speaks of it. Just my 2 cents. I love dropping bombs on fools.
 Kurgan
06-08-2004, 8:29 PM
Each to his own.

Personally I wouldn't play JK2 1.02 because of all the exploits. Even if it is fun spinning with the strong DFA and doing the one tap flip kicks.

Fewer people play 1.02 than 1.04, and it's even fewer than play JA, but it still has a few die hards playing it, at least last time I checked (about 3 months ago).
 shukrallah
06-08-2004, 8:59 PM
Do many people play it?

Not many people play mods that they have to download :-/
 shukrallah
06-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by [nWo] Filth
Im a diehard jk2 v1.02 player. and the exploits is what makes it a brilliant game. I loath jka, and curse it to hell!

I sort of guessed that... :-p
 =tom=
06-09-2004, 2:04 AM
Do many people play it?
ya theres 3 servers for it (2 official moviebattles and 1 wireplay server) and on daytime (gmt) 1 is full (20 ppl) and the other 2 have about 10 ppl playing (note that the mod is still beta)
and theres like 160 ppl registered on moviebattles forum (http://forums.moviebattles.com)
 Prime
06-09-2004, 1:09 PM
Originally posted by [nWo] Filth
Im a diehard jk2 v1.02 player. and the exploits is what makes it a brilliant game. Teh huge collision box for the DFA is teh r0xx0rs!
 Prime
06-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Apparently JA is nowhere close to dying, at least in sales. This is for the week ending May 22...

From http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=23811)

1 Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic - LucasArts $22
2 City Of Heroes - NCsoft $47
3 Far Cry - Ubisoft $38
4 Battlefield Vietnam - Electronic Arts $37
5 Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - LucasArts $26
6 Rise Of Nations - Microsoft $34
7 MS Age Of Mythology - Microsoft $33
8 Rise Of Nations: Thrones & Patriots Expansion Pack - Microsoft $26
9 Unreal Tournament 2004 - Atari $38
10 The Sims Deluxe - Electronic Arts $27
 Kurgan
06-10-2004, 2:12 PM
Wow, and that's at the $26 so many people claim they would never pay for "an expansion."

(It's $19.99 at my local Best Buy).
 Prime
06-10-2004, 2:28 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Wow, and that's at the $26 so many people claim they would never pay for "an expansion." And it is higher than Unreal Tournament 2004...
Page: 1 of 3