Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What does "Bantha Fodder" mean?

Page: 1 of 1
 sith_master2000
05-15-2004, 9:20 PM
In episode 6, Jabba says "Now your Bantha Fodder" then "Bantha Fodder" was later played in the new films. But does anyone know what Bantha Fodder acutally means? :confused: If so please respond to this thread.
 Jan Gaarni
05-16-2004, 6:00 AM
Fodder, or Podoo (sp?) in huttese, seems to mean two things: Originally it was just fodder, but in the new films we also see it is some kind of swear word.

Either that or we have completelly missunderstood what Jabba ment by Bantha podoo. :D
 Darth-Bane
05-16-2004, 6:20 PM
maybe it means somethin like b**** lol
 coupes.
05-16-2004, 10:17 PM
a bantha (http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/bantha/index.html) is this big furry creature your find on Tattooine. Calling someone bantha fodder is basicaly telling him he's as good as bantha food.

OR

As the banthas live in the desert and certainly aren't hunters, my guess would be they are scavengers. So, calling someone a banthat fodder would basically mean you said to this person has was as good as dead.

So it's either an insult or a threat.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/bantha/img/movie_bg.jpg)
 sith_master2000
05-16-2004, 10:40 PM
a bantha is this big furry creature your find on Tattooine. Calling someone bantha fodder is basicaly telling him he's as good as bantha food

OR

As the banthas live in the desert and certainly aren't hunters, my guess would be they are scavengers. So, calling someone a banthat fodder would basically mean you said to this person has was as good as dead.

So it's either an insult or a threat.

Yeah, it's gotta be one of those. Thanks for that .:CoupeS:. ;)
 joesdomain
05-23-2004, 6:03 AM
I think Bantha Fodder is Bantha food.
 Zappa_0
05-23-2004, 9:31 PM
Bantha Fodder is small animals which bathas eat. If you ever played KOTOR, you learn about on Tatioone.
 Revlt Coranier
05-24-2004, 6:03 PM
Maybe it is bantha crap.
 Kurgan
05-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Banthas of course are the elephant/buffalo-like beasts that the Tusken Raiders (aka Sandpeople) on Tatooine are seen riding around.

"Bantha Poodoo" in the canon ROTJ is translated from Jabba's speech as "Bantha Fodder."

"Fodder" is "food." It's usually used in reference to what you give animals like grain, oats or hay, etc for horses, cows, etc.

Now suddenly in AOTC it means "poop" (go figure).

In AOTC Anakin nearly misses hitting another driver's speeder on Coruscant and he says "...Poodoo!"

Why would somebody who's angry while driving yell "Food!" or "Hay!" "Grain for animals!" etc. More likely they were trying to say he was saying "Poopy!" (or any other more vulgar synonyms for extrement that people say while driving.

This notion is supported by the fact that in the AOTC novelisation (considered canon below the Film itself) the Lars family talks about "a pile of Bantha Poodoo" covering up some of their farm equipment.

Now why would a pile of grain be deposited on top of their equipment as evidence that Tuskens had been prowling their homestead? Doesn't make sense that they'd pile hay or grain on somebody else's propertly and leave it there.

So we're left with some choices:

1) Jabba has an odd sense of humor.

2) Banthas eat their own (or other) excrement, leading to the double meaning.

3) The word simply changed popular usage in the 27 years from AOTC to ROTJ.

4) Calling somebody "food" is considered a grave insult in the cultures of Dugs and Hutts. Though this doesn't explain the reference in the novel unless it was simply a writer's gaff, from not understanding it.

Taking Poodoo as Fodder in Jabba's speech still makes sense. He's comparing Solo to grain fed to Banthas. Meaning his life is worth that much. Saying he's "Bantha s***" would have the same effect, since he's being eaten by Banthas and crapped out by them. For all we know Banthas have been known to eat humans.

So yeah, that's pretty much how it is...
 Lynk Former
05-25-2004, 4:35 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
1) Jabba has an odd sense of humor.

I'm putting down $20 on that one :p
 fuzzyfreaker
06-10-2004, 12:26 AM
Look.

Bantha Fodder: Something a Banta eats. (KOTOR, TPM)
Insult: You're just about as good as bantha fodder (ROTJ, TPM)

Bantha Poodoo: Bantha Poop (TPM)
Insult: You're a pile of Bantha Crap (TPM)

Watch the Movies, play KOTOR, you'll learn
 Jan Gaarni
06-10-2004, 1:03 PM
20 bucks Kurgan is gonna give Fuzzy an overhaul for that one. :D :D :D
 Kurgan
06-10-2004, 7:14 PM
So you're saying that Banthas eat their own poop, fuzzy?

Could be, I don't know. Lucas hasn't been above making toilet jokes about big dopey beasts before in his films. ; p

Though maybe you're saying people use a word that means one thing in another sense entirely.

Like how a lot of young people these days call stuff they don't like or each other "gay" (synonymous with calling them/it "stupid") rather than trying to mean they believe the person is homosexual or cheerful?

PS: Do they use the term "poodoo" in TPM? I don't remember if they did...
 Drog
06-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Bantha Fodder is some type of "FOOD" for the Banthas
i figured that out when i played Star Wars: Kotor
 Kale Jerre
06-16-2004, 6:44 AM
PS: Do they use the term "poodoo" in TPM? I don't remember if they did...

Yeah, they do. 1) Anakin uses it in the conversation he has with Sebulba when Jar Jar's stolen snack lands on Sebulba's table and 2) Sebulba says it when he crashes in the home stretch of the pod race. In both of these cases the context is pretty clear IMO that it means fecal matter.
 CortoCG
07-03-2004, 1:35 PM
I think we should base the expression "bantha fodder" on "cannon fodder". Commonly used to describe an infantry soldier who worths nothing and you send it to the frontline to die. Actually, infantry soldiers are always cannon fodder since they are the spearhead. It means something like you are meat for the cannon. So taking "bantha fodder" as bantha's food is not wrong at all, but it really means that you worth so little that you could be used even to feed the banthas, or even to let you die under a pack of banthas.
 Sabretooth
07-18-2004, 12:04 PM
Bantha Fodder is a rank for users upto 50 posts in LF...

Oh...
 Cheech Marin
07-18-2004, 7:04 PM
There's also Bantha Cleaner, not sure how to get that though.
 Azurik12x
07-19-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Revlt Coranier
Maybe it is bantha crap.

You're right Revlt. In KOTOR they say that Bantha Fodder is Poo. You use it to get the banthas attention to lure them into the Krayt Dragon cave so that it coems out and you kill it.
 Sabretooth
07-19-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Cheech Marin
There's also Bantha Cleaner, not sure how to get that though.

There are diffrent ranks in diffrent forums at LF. Try the Battlefront forum, or check your profile. Bantha Cleaner is the other version of Bantha Fodder, methinks.
 joesdomain
07-22-2004, 1:11 PM
I think it means Bantha food or Bantha dung. I could be wrong.
 Darth Dex
08-20-2004, 11:56 PM
It's food.
 RedHawke
08-21-2004, 2:40 AM
Originally posted by Azurik12x
You're right Revlt. In KOTOR they say that Bantha Fodder is Poo. You use it to get the banthas attention to lure them into the Krayt Dragon cave so that it coems out and you kill it.

Banthas eat Bantha fodder, meaning it is Bantha Food like hay for horses, now Bantha Poodoo is what comes out the other end! :D
 Kain
08-21-2004, 3:18 AM
The Star Wars RPG book says its:

Worthless or waste. As in "You won't be worth bantha fodder!"

Bantha fodder as an object is bantha ****.

Expand your Imagi-Nation
 Achilles
08-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
Banthas eat Bantha fodder, meaning it is Bantha Food like hay for horses, now Bantha Poodoo is what comes out the other end! :D
My understanding as well.

Main Entry: fod·der
Pronunciation: 'fд-d&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English fOdor; akin to Old High German fuotar food -- more at FOOD
1 : something fed to domestic animals; especially : coarse food for cattle, horses, or sheep
2 : inferior or readily available material used to supply a heavy demand <routine entertainment fodder> <fodder for tabloids>
- fodder transitive verb
 RedHawke
08-23-2004, 11:02 AM
^^^^
Gotta love Websters Online Dictionary! :D
 Jan Gaarni
08-23-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
But ya'll are missing a point here, and that is "Bantha Poodoo" means "Bantha Fodder", as that's how it was translated into from Huttese. Jabba doesn't say Bantha Fodder, he says Bantha Poodoo. The subtitles says Bantha Fodder.
 Achilles
08-23-2004, 7:27 PM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
But ya'll are missing a point here, and that is "Bantha Poodoo" means "Bantha Fodder", as that's how it was translated into from Huttese. Jabba doesn't say Bantha Fodder, he says Bantha Poodoo. The subtitles says Bantha Fodder.
Well, that's entirely possible, but until we see something more definitive, I'm sticking with Bantha Poodoo = nice-way-of-saying-Bantha-poop :D
 El Sitherino
08-23-2004, 8:21 PM
watch the phantom menace also, when Sebulba says Bantha Poodoo to Anakin at the pod racer, it says fodder in the subtitles.
 Achilles
08-24-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
watch the phantom menace also, when Sebulba says Bantha Poodoo to Anakin at the pod racer, it says fodder in the subtitles.
Point made, I concede :D
InsaneSith - 1, Achilles - 0
 RedHawke
08-24-2004, 3:12 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith

OK... just checked that one out and you are right again InsaneSith! :D

*Looks down at a Bantha Burger, now knowing what they really eat, and heads straight for the restroom...* :barf:
 Kurgan
08-28-2004, 8:55 PM
Then again, this could be a case of the films contradicting the novelisations/comics. In which case the films take precedence...

Since the "poop" idea is really only supported in the non-film official materials (though it still seems a bit odd for somebody to yell "FOOD!" in traffic, but then a lot of curse words are used for things other than what they literally mean, so it's not THAT hard to imagine).

To a little kid who can't read, "POODOO" sounds like "poo" and "doo doo" which to kids mean "poop."

I didn't fall into that trap when I saw ROTJ for the first time, because my Dad was there to read the alien subtitles and explain what any words I didn't understand meant. Good ol' parents. ; )

Dangit...Somebody needs to get George on the Bat-Phone and get a clear answer!
 sith_master2000
08-29-2004, 9:02 PM
Well with all these things added up now I'm sure everyone knows what Bantha fodder and poodoo mean. Still it was a very confusing topic.
 joesdomain
08-30-2004, 8:12 PM
Maybe it has more than one meaning!
 RedHawke
08-30-2004, 9:28 PM
Dangit...Somebody needs to get George on the Bat-Phone and get a clear answer!

I agree, the whole "fodder" and "poodoo" issue is very confusing to us all. :D
 sith_master2000
08-31-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by joesdomain
Maybe it has more than one meaning!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
 toenail1
09-13-2004, 6:09 PM
BANTHA FODDER IS NOT THE SAME AS BANTHA POODOO!!!

fodder=food

poodoo=poop

two different words, two different meanings

its not hard to understand
 El Sitherino
09-13-2004, 7:49 PM
double-entendre *giggles* :D I'm gonna stick with dual meanings.
 Jan Gaarni
09-14-2004, 4:42 AM
I'm sure the DVD release will explain it all. :D
 Sivy
09-14-2004, 4:54 AM
whats the difference between fodder & poodoo?

about 8-10 hours
 Jan Gaarni
09-14-2004, 7:01 AM
Or according to this thread: 3-4 months :D
 kipperthefrog
09-16-2004, 7:30 AM
I noticed that in ROTJ, you hearJabba say your "now youre banta poodoo!" and the subtitles say "now youre bantha fodder!" maybie poodoo is huttese for fodder!

just a thought.
 primalunderdog
10-03-2004, 7:43 PM
He is right were in Knights of the old republic you had to get bantha fodder,which was bantha FOOD!
 Hanna_solo
10-28-2004, 8:59 AM
Originally posted by Zappa_0
Bantha Fodder is small animals which bathas eat. If you ever played KOTOR, you learn about on Tatioone.

so then im a small animal right lol jk
 RebelScum!
10-28-2004, 9:34 AM
Lol i always thought it was crap. :xp:
 Boba Rhett
10-29-2004, 12:32 PM
That's what we wanted you to think. :D
 Kurgan
10-30-2004, 7:42 AM
Small animals? Interesting (assuming that info is actually correct).

That might be a better fit than "poop" or "grain."

It would work as food and as an insult without having to assume that Banthas eat manure.
 sith_master2000
11-01-2004, 2:48 PM
Look guys, I think this thread is a little old now, I started it back... god knows how long ago.

It's Bantha Fodder: food, Bantha Poodoo: crap.
 Jan Gaarni
11-01-2004, 2:57 PM
But Bantha Poodoo translates into Bantha Fodder. :p
 Darkside_tanro
11-16-2004, 8:59 AM
I originally thought it was a way of saying bullsh** in sw slang. But if you played KOTOR, theres an item you can purchase on tatooine called bantha fodder. Its like a feed sack of bantha food. It's description says something about smelling vile and disgusting and not a wonder most creatures avoid it. Bantha's though find the smell irresistible.
Page: 1 of 1