Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Glitch - Official Name???

Page: 1 of 1
 thesaiyan
04-26-2004, 4:28 AM
I was wondering if there was an official name for the Glitch in Jedi Academy where when you are fighting someone the Lightsaber appears to go right through them but does no damage. I heard someone call it "Ghosting".

I was also wondering when this glitch is more likely to occur and how one might be able to set a server in the best possible way to avoid that glitch.

Its defenitely time we picked a name for it, if it does not have one.
 StormHammer
04-26-2004, 4:35 AM
I'd call it 'Ghost-blading', and as far as I know there's no fix for it. It just seems to be a random event that occurs - I don't know anyone who has discovered an exact way to reproduce it, therefore it's difficult to fix.
 thesaiyan
04-26-2004, 4:40 AM
Yes, "Ghost-Sabering" or "Ghost-Blading" might be a better name. Someone seemed to think it happened more often on server whose transfer rate was lower.
 StormHammer
04-26-2004, 5:32 AM
Originally posted by thesaiyan
Yes, "Ghost-Sabering" or "Ghost-Blading" might be a better name. Someone seemed to think it happened more often on server whose transfer rate was lower.

If that's the case, could it simply be a matter of the position of the opposing player not being updated quickly enough on the client's PC, i.e., they have already moved slightly out of range of the blade?

Although if that were true, a while ago someone apparently experimented, and kept slicing at someone standing directly in front of them (the other person deliberately did not move) but the 'ghost-blading' effect still occured a few times.

Perhaps there is simply a minor glitch in the locational damage somewhere...
 Samuel Dravis
04-26-2004, 5:40 AM
I'm pretty sure the OJP (ojp.jediknight.net) is trying to fix this. When they're finished with Enhanced 0.0.2, it's going to be the only mod I'm going to be playing for a long time. Until 0.0.3 comes out! :p
 thesaiyan
04-26-2004, 9:38 AM
OJP Defenitely looks promising. I'd like to see the glitch fixed by RavenSoft officially though.
 Crow_Nest
04-26-2004, 12:14 PM
Sometime its not the game's or the lightsaber's fault, its just the lag. I always get the same thing on high pinged servers, but on low pings (100 and below) its the same as single player.
 Prime
04-26-2004, 7:53 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
Sometime its not the game's or the lightsaber's fault, its just the lag. I always get the same thing on high pinged servers, but on low pings (100 and below) its the same as single player. I would think that lag is the biggest reason for this sort of thing.

Collision detection is taken on a per frame basis. With lag those frames may be farther apart in time and so it is possible that the blade's position is calculated to be on one side of a model and then on the other side during the next frame. There is no extrapolation for the blade's path, so the game doesn't know that it passed through the model...
 Samuel Dravis
04-27-2004, 6:10 PM
Originally posted by Prime
I would think that lag is the biggest reason for this sort of thing.

Collision detection is taken on a per frame basis. With lag those frames may be farther apart in time and so it is possible that the blade's position is calculated to be on one side of a model and then on the other side during the next frame. There is no extrapolation for the blade's path, so the game doesn't know that it passed through the model... Would the framerate on the client machine affect it?
 GothiX
04-27-2004, 8:27 PM
Yes, game physics are calculated on a per frame basis.
 Samuel Dravis
04-27-2004, 9:39 PM
Sweet. Now I just have to max eveything out, and put dynamic glow passes at 100, and I'll be invulnerable! :D
 Kurgan
04-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Ghosting, from what I understand is just when (due to whatever, framerate, rate, lag, whatever) a players appears to be (on your screen) where he really isn't (on the server).

So it can be caused by a lot of things really, and may be totally random (if pings, cpu usage, etc fluctuate).

Packet loss is apparently a major culprit of this, so try a better server if you can.
 Rumor
04-28-2004, 1:19 AM
No, its crappy hit detection. Happened in JK2, happened in JA.

Tested it on LAN with best possible rates, etc. and it still happened.
 thesaiyan
04-28-2004, 3:21 AM
Really? On a Lan? But were you on a dedicated server? I'm looking at various Cvars to see wether there are any that could potentially......... lessen the likely hood of "ghost-blading". If I discover anything I will post it here. If you find out anything relating to this ("ghost-blading" and any way to help avoid it etc.) then please post it here.
 keshire
04-28-2004, 4:45 AM
Its refered to as gross pass-thru in the source code. RazorAce corrected this in OJP so now you bounce off unless its a lethal hit.

*edit* but yes lag is a major culprit.
 Rumor
04-28-2004, 2:08 PM
Really? On a Lan? But were you on a dedicated server? I'm looking at various Cvars to see wether there are any that could potentially......... lessen the likely hood of "ghost-blading". If I discover anything I will post it here. If you find out anything relating to this ("ghost-blading" and any way to help avoid it etc.) then please post it here.

yes on a dedicated server, even though it doesn't matter on a LAN where you both have 0 ping and 0 packetloss.
 thesaiyan
04-28-2004, 6:35 PM
Originally posted by keshire
RazorAce corrected this in OJP so now you bounce off unless its a lethal hit.

I still would like to see an official RavenSoft fix for this glitch (along with many others).
 Prime
04-28-2004, 7:10 PM
Keep dreaming...
 Andy867
04-28-2004, 9:21 PM
I doubt that Raven will be releasing any thing for Jedi Academy since they are busy with Quake 4, X-Men: Legends, and others. Unless something big, and I mean BIG, should come up, then I can safely say that Raven has released all possible patches for Jedi Academy.
 Kurgan
04-28-2004, 9:32 PM
I guess I've never seen what you describe Rumor, not since the days of MotS.

Maybe I've been lucky or I'm just "trained" not to notice little slip ups in online games like that?
 Crow_Nest
04-29-2004, 6:43 AM
I still would like to see an official RavenSoft fix for this glitch (along with many others).

Raven isnt allowed to make a new patch without Lucas Art's approval.
 GothiX
04-29-2004, 9:38 AM
Raven won't even make a patch anyway, they said that several months back. Besides, the SDK is released, so you could fix it yourself.
 razorace
04-29-2004, 4:56 PM
Ok, there's three things in play that cause saber passthru:

1. the game world is only updated @ 20 frames per second. It's like blinking 20 times per second. If you don't see the blade hit during one of those blinks, a hit doesn't register. That's why the faster stances have poor hit detection at the very tip of the blade.

To help with this problem, I've created a Super Duper Interpolation system that scans the area between where the blade was and where the blade is during the hit detection.

In addition, you can also increase the server's frame rate (sv_fps) and the network rates to help.

2. lag causes the player models to be slightly out of place vs. where they are actually at in the real game world.

3. third person view makes it difficult to judge distances.

I've created True View to help with that.
 Sam Fisher
05-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I guess that's why I get hit a lot more when people have 15 ping ^^

But I like it better, no lag then! Yay :D
Page: 1 of 1