Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JA not so 'dead'

Page: 1 of 2
 txa1265
04-05-2004, 2:05 PM
I was looking at something foolish on GameSpy pointed out on another forum (I know - something foolish and GameSpy ... a bit redundant).

But I was scrolling through the front page and came across the stats page, and saw that JA and JO are the #16 and #21 games playing right now. And there are only 4 other SP-friendly games ahead of JA (repeat after me - Q3 and UT are *NOT* SP games!).

Counter-strike continues to dominate, as always. And war-oriented games (mainly WWII, but also modern games like SoFII and BF:V) are completely in control.

Not too bad really ...

Mike
 Kurgan
04-05-2004, 3:17 PM
So Gamespy officially acknowledged the existence of JA players?!

ZOUNDS!!!! THE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US!!!
 Prime
04-05-2004, 6:03 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
ZOUNDS!!!! THE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US!!! I have already saught shelter and have covered my head.
 acdcfanbill
04-06-2004, 9:06 PM
i got under the desk, but i didnt cover my head with my hands :eek:
 StormHammer
04-06-2004, 9:28 PM
Damn - what happened to my post where I thanked you for bringing that to our attention.

Is there some kind of conspiracy going on around here?

>.>

<.<

O.O

Oh well...those stats just go to show how good or bad games are really doing...
 --ZeeMan--
04-06-2004, 11:10 PM

ZOUNDS!!!! THE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US!!!

LOL true dat kurgan :-D
 narfblat
04-07-2004, 12:10 AM
For me, JA was much better than the hailed KOTOR. Maybe that's because my video card barely meets the requirements though.
 Master William
04-07-2004, 4:06 AM
Nice to hear. I thought JA was slowly dying for a while, but I guess things take a bit time.
 Master_Keralys
04-07-2004, 5:17 PM
That's good to know. Of course, in reality I could have told you that just by pointing to these forums...

I too am cowering under the desk in terror that our existence has actually been acknowledged.... the bombs must start falling soon to eliminate us...

I'm actually surprised that JO is still so high more than anything else. Just because a game's older though, doesn't mean it's not still great, thank goodness.
 Aegis2
04-07-2004, 7:12 PM
As evidenced by CS...though cs-hating seems to be a popular stance these days.
 Prime
04-07-2004, 7:46 PM
Originally posted by Master_Keralys
Just because a game's older though, doesn't mean it's not still great, thank goodness. Indeed. JO kicks ass.
 Kurgan
04-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Apparently for many (JO players) JA was dead on arrival, but that hasn't stopped it from having its own community that continues to thrive, despite people (supposedly) constantly leaving or whining.

Good enough for me!

And I guess all the guys who said that "JK2 is dying" were wrong as well, they've still got a community!
 yolkboy
04-09-2004, 1:11 AM
Apparently for many (JO players) JA was dead on arrival
Wow it has been a while since I last posted. But Kurgan's statement kind of sums it up for me. I just didn't feel that JA, dare I say it, was as polished as JO in terms of game pace and balance. But, I still have it on my hard drive just in case I get that urge to play. Oh and one more thing, where can i get that strafe jumping training map for JA? I can't stafe jump any more. It's like a whole different physics system it seems. I need some practice and some tips :D If all goes well, you might be able to get me to return to JA.
 narfblat
04-09-2004, 8:24 AM
This game may not be as good as Jedi Outcast in some ways, but the improvements more than make up for it(especially the dismember cheat:D)
 Amidala from Chop Shop
04-09-2004, 9:27 AM
Originally posted by yolkboy
Wow it has been a while since I last posted. But Kurgan's statement kind of sums it up for me. I just didn't feel that JA, dare I say it, was as polished as JO in terms of game pace and balance. But, I still have it on my hard drive just in case I get that urge to play. Oh and one more thing, where can i get that strafe jumping training map for JA? I can't stafe jump any more. It's like a whole different physics system it seems. I need some practice and some tips :D If all goes well, you might be able to get me to return to JA.

Here is a recent discussion of strafe jumping by some experts:

http://firetrill.zerocomedy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1123)

and a training map:

http://www.mudvain.net/gamefiles/jumptraining.pk3)
 Kurgan
04-10-2004, 6:14 PM
I've long held the opinion that the primary reason those JO players dismissed JA was because all they play is saber combat.

The saber combat was different, therefore they didn't like the new game.

Since I see the JK series as more than saber combat, I tend not to hold that JA is inferior, but rather an improvement. That's not to say I don't like saber combat, but it's not my whole world, if you get my meaning. ; )

Gamespy can say what it likes, but (surprise!) their opinion isn't the end-all, be-all of gaming.

I'm bet more people play on Battlenet, the Sims or any MMORPG out there than any FPS.
 Rad Blackrose
04-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Apparently for many (JO players) JA was dead on arrival, but that hasn't stopped it from having its own community that continues to thrive, despite people (supposedly) constantly leaving or whining.

Good enough for me!

And I guess all the guys who said that "JK2 is dying" were wrong as well, they've still got a community!

The JKII community is still active because just when they thought it couldn't get any worse, it did.

;)
 InfErnO
04-11-2004, 7:04 PM
I've long held the opinion that the primary reason those JO players dismissed JA was because all they play is saber combat.

The saber combat was different, therefore they didn't like the new game.

Since I see the JK series as more than saber combat, I tend not to hold that JA is inferior, but rather an improvement. That's not to say I don't like saber combat, but it's not my whole world, if you get my meaning. ; )

Gamespy can say what it likes, but (surprise!) their opinion isn't the end-all, be-all of gaming.

I'm bet more people play on Battlenet, the Sims or any MMORPG out there than any FPS.

There have been a lot of gunners, though. JO players dismissed JA cause everything in the game just plain sucks. I haven't found any servers where people actually play the game btw... you know, stuff like beating the other team, getting the most frags to win, etc. I wonder why there is still a scoring system in the game.
 Prime
04-12-2004, 6:05 PM
Originally posted by InfErnO
There have been a lot of gunners, though. JO players dismissed JA cause everything in the game just plain sucks. ... to them :)

Originally posted by InfErnO
I haven't found any servers where people actually play the game btw... you know, stuff like beating the other team, getting the most frags to win, etc. I wonder why there is still a scoring system in the game. Try the Chop Shop servers and Kurgan's as well. There are some pretty fun fights on there...
 InfErnO
04-12-2004, 7:36 PM
Originally posted by Prime
... to them :)

Try the Chop Shop servers and Kurgan's as well. There are some pretty fun fights on there...

guess those are us servers. i'm euro.

trust me, i have tried several eu servers. all crap. same problem with jo, there's only one normal ctf server left.
 Sam Fisher
04-13-2004, 1:15 PM
If euro is crap, try US. I sometimes play on Euro servers, and they are all fine. Also try using All seeing Eye, download it at their site.

SITE (http://www.udpsoft.com/eye2/index.html)
 JDKnite188
04-13-2004, 9:04 PM
Hmmm, haven't posted here for a while. Yeah, I was quite curious of why JO still has a lot of players. Then I realized that . . . .

1) JO is not dead as I thought.

2) Not all SW FPS players are gunners: there are saberists too.

For now, it's UT2k4 for this dude. The JK series will be remembered.
 Prime
04-13-2004, 9:43 PM
Personally, I think it is nice to have the variety...
 Kurgan
04-13-2004, 10:07 PM
I don't get it personally, JA has everything JK2 had and more (Except for Jedi Master, Holocron FFA & CTY, which NOBODY played anyway).

The thing is, the JK2 community is dominated by people dueling.

Thus, JA has plenty to offer that they have yet to take advantage of.

So my guess is they don't like the new sabers and changes to the dueling that occur in the new game. But, the thing is, there are mods that change that, and let's face it, the majority of JK2 players are using mods anyway, so it still makes no sense.

Unless they're just set in their ways and afraid to try something new. Even if the gameplay is identical JA has prettier graphics!

Too cheap to pay for it maybe...
 [ASJN] Balboa
04-13-2004, 10:23 PM
everyone that still plays jo is pretty religously tied to it, and there isn't alot of hope for turning them to ja. not like thats a bad thing, i get enough abuse from playing the game with guns as it is. ut2k4 has been a good break from some of the painfully retarded people and they're anti play the game as it was meant to be played laws...
 Kharad Donn
04-13-2004, 10:49 PM
When JA came out I was ecstatic that lucasarts had finally made a game where you start with a saber (yes! yes! - Just out of curiosity, do you start with one in MOTS? I never played that game, so I don't know.) Now if they'll make one where you start with force powers, I'll be really happy.

At any rate, as far as I'm concerned, JA has everything JO had and more. It was perhaps a little dissapointing that it doesn't focus as much on Kyle anymore, but then again, Kyle deserves a rest. After all, he's been runnin' and gunnin' for years. Even before he grew a beard.

Don't get me wrong now, I still love JO. As a matter of fact, I have all the DF games except MOTS and I still play them all every once in a while.

So I guess what i'm trying to say is... JA ROCKS BABY, YEAH!!
 narfblat
04-13-2004, 11:43 PM
It's been a while since I have played Mysteries of the Sith,(my brother lent it to a friend who later became an enemy) but I'm 99% sure you start with a saber.

I wish they had Jan in Jedi Academy
 yolkboy
04-14-2004, 12:15 AM
Is it me or have the guns in JA become less powerful? Also, the rate of fire seems to be slower as well. For example, in JO it seemed like 2-3 secondary hits from the flecette (sp) / repeater would take a person out. Now it seems like 4 or 5? And why did they mess with the sniper rifle. I loved that gun in JO :( Also pushing back projectiles like rockets is weird now. In JO it went right back at the person. Now they kind of wander off in a different direction not even close to its orgin. I dunno, I just think that JA changed too much in that respect. And the old kick.... How I miss it. I think that would make a valuable counter to a single saberist in JA against duel saberists. I guess I have to join [ASJN] Balboa and play UT'04 to get my gunning in. JO will still always have a place on my hard drive though.
 Prime
04-14-2004, 12:24 AM
And the old kick.... How I miss it. Some mods, such as XMod, have added it back. Personally, I think it should have a place in the game.
 VaderJM
04-14-2004, 9:59 AM
Well, certain things were nerfed so to speak, in gunning for balance reasons I think.

I remember in JK2, certain people got really adept at anticipating the timing of your shot, and pushing at just the right moment to give that person a rocket, pistol shot or repeater orb to the face. Think they altered it by making the projectile push off in a random direction like you noticed. Although it's still possible to push directly into the shooter, its a lot less frequent.

As for the disrupter, one needs to look no further than watching Nutri or Screamin in a FFA Yavin game in JK2. That was a thing of beauty and sheer terror.
 Kharad Donn
04-14-2004, 7:03 PM
You're right yolkboy, they have changed the guns a bit. Most of them are far less powerful, but they can still be effective. For instance, the disruptor can still kill in one shot - it just has to be a head shot.
I think it's funny that when you push a projectile back it's not as accurate; because several times i've pushed one back and it hit someone else (I.E. it hit a trooper, but not the one that fired it.) Everytime that happens, I laugh.
 InfErnO
04-14-2004, 7:06 PM
Originally posted by Sam Fisher
If euro is crap, try US. I sometimes play on Euro servers, and they are all fine. Also try using All seeing Eye, download it at their site.

SITE (http://www.udpsoft.com/eye2/index.html)

I have serveral game browsers, including ase. I get pings like 200+ on US Servers, that's unplayable, even 100+ is not acceptable. Anyway I play ff/all weapons only. With this setup you won't find many servers in ase.
 VaderJM
04-14-2004, 9:59 PM
Originally posted by Kharad Donn
For instance, the disruptor can still kill in one shot - it just has to be a head shot.

Uh...there's no locational damage you know, only splash and direct hit.
 Prime
04-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Actually, I thought there was location damage in JA.

Can someone confirm this?
 VaderJM
04-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Hmmm, turns out you are right, just tested it, there is locational damage. Weird, I'd always thought otherwise because I remember hearing there wasn't any in JK2.
 Rad Blackrose
04-15-2004, 12:48 AM
There used to be locational damage in JKII, it was removed during the 1.02/1.03 transition.
 Pnut_Man
04-15-2004, 1:52 AM
It should be toggleable (Locational Damage, that is) through mods such as the craptastic JA Plus 1.9...
 txa1265
04-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Rad Blackrose
There used to be locational damage in JKII, it was removed during the 1.02/1.03 transition. I'm assuming we're talking MP here ... ?

Mike
 NerfYoda
04-16-2004, 6:53 AM
I believe ghoul2 is still around. You have to enable it on the server end to enable locational damage. It's got other side effects, so play with your server.cfg file to get damages how you like. YMMV.

Here's my take on JA's v JO. People got JA expecting JO + fancy stuff like the dual and staff stances. It's there, but it seems like it was just slapped onto the game. Don't get me wrong. I still enjoy JA. The majority of folks in my little corner of the community transitioned to JA, but it was slow. People are set in their ways. Human nature and all. :)

btw: whatup Kurgan. How ya been?
 <-KRT->Dhart
04-16-2004, 11:02 AM
You don't need a mod for location based damage in JA.

seta g_locationBasedDamage "1"

It can be set to on or off (0 OR 1) in the server.cfg file (servers) or in the jampconfig.cfg
 acdcfanbill
04-16-2004, 3:04 PM
locational dmg defaults to on in JA, so there shouldnt be any 'setting' necessary in basejka, afaik.
 Prime
04-16-2004, 3:07 PM
That is correct. But it can be turned off so that the damage model is the same as JO.
 Side
04-16-2004, 4:20 PM
save yourself the trouble....go back to jk2
 Kurgan
04-17-2004, 9:26 PM
Yeah but then one can't enjoy Siege or Asteroids can one?
 Amidala from Chop Shop
04-19-2004, 9:25 PM
Is it me or have the guns in JA become less powerful? Also, the rate of fire seems to be slower as well.
I don't know about the other guns, but the new pistol's rate of fire is half that of the Bryar (according to the JA source code).

Also pushing back projectiles like rockets is weird now. In JO it went right back at the person. Now they kind of wander off in a different direction not even close to its orgin. I dunno, I just think that JA changed too much in that respect. And the old kick.... How I miss it.
There is a bug in the Linux dedicated server (which is what most hosted servers are running) that causes pushed rockets to always go in the same direction relative to the map, instead of in the direction that you pushed.

There is a mod that fixes that bug that I am running on both my CTF and FFA servers http://www.pcgamemods.com/4101/)

If you are running a Linux-hosted basejka server I recommend running this mod. Everything else is unchanged (basejka).

xMod 2.6 and I believe JA + 1.9 have incorporated this bugfix. Both also have flipkicks.
 TheBlueFlamingo
04-22-2004, 7:07 AM
I havent played JA, or any Star Wars game since they cancelled Sam and Max 2. A little boycott. I actually havent even come to this site since then either. I realize one person not playing isnt going to make a difference, but it makes a difference to my conscience. I cant play a game or support a company as crooked as Lucas Arts or George Lucas him self.
 Mex
04-22-2004, 9:34 AM
Yeah but then one can't enjoy Siege or Asteroids can one?

I can't enjoy Siege at all because every Siege server around is hosted in the US which makes my ping soar over 200+. And when I join a UK one it's crap because theres only around 3 players in it.

Oh and Asteroids? Erm. What the heck is that? I would try it out but I need to get my JA back off my friend. All it seems like is flying but with a few extra models and some asteroids in space to me.
 StormHammer
04-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Michaelmexp
I can't enjoy Siege at all because every Siege server around is hosted in the US which makes my ping soar over 200+. And when I join a UK one it's crap because theres only around 3 players in it.

Maybe all of us UKers should arrange to invade a UK server on a particular day of the week, to boost the numbers. Just post a thread for when you want a UK-meet on a UK-server, and I, for one, will try to get on that day (evenings are better for me). ;)
 Prime
04-22-2004, 8:14 PM
Originally posted by TheBlueFlamingo
I cant play a game or support a company as crooked as Lucas Arts or George Lucas him self. Why does cancelling Sam and Max make them crooked?
 Kurgan
04-22-2004, 11:17 PM
Asteroids is a mod created with the help of two Raven employees and a top vehicle editor from the community.

Basically it refines and streamlines and improves the space combat experience.

So compared to KOTOR Flight School it has more room to fly, it's more balanced, the ships are a bit easier to control and it's pretty. Plus it has a few new ships.

It ALSO includes an improved versions of Siege Destroyer (which of course was also made by Raven and released unofficially since it wasn't done when the game was first released). This improved version takes advantage of the improvements of Asteroids plus makes it more challenging and adds another new ship you can use.

So Asteroids is definately worth it. It has some stuff that no other space combat mod had prior, like unique ship shapes on the radar, projected targetting, in-game hyperspace effects, and actual attempts at balancing ships. Plus Destroyer is the first Siege to incorporate new vehicles (the ships).
Page: 1 of 2