Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Trigger_Hyperspace question

Page: 1 of 1
 Spathi
02-28-2004, 2:31 AM
I was wondering can u transfer lets say a hugh ship with like 10 players in it at one time? or you can only do it seperatly and can u transfer like regular brushes or it has to be models or something?
 mastercracker
02-28-2004, 4:51 AM
i think it's only working with vehicles...
 WadeV1589
02-28-2004, 8:39 AM
It's definately a ship only thing, moving players out of a ship (as in a ship they control) requires teleporting them. You'd have to animate the effect and move the ship as a func_static or maybe teleport them.
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
02-29-2004, 5:43 AM
You can make a ship that holds up to 8 players, but it's an unsupported feature (check out the shuttle's .veh file for the maxPassengers field). The problem is that the ship looks jerky to the passengers because those clients aren't controlling the ship with their input, so they cannot predict it... :/

-MCG
 Kurgan
03-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Would it be possible to create some kind of work around, like say when the pilot goes forward, he forces a control press that is sent to each player "as if" they are all pressing forward (say if the pilot is pressing forward) rather than being carried along... so they'd all be controlling it (even if their movements would be involuntary)?

It wouldn't have to be that each player is fighting over control, rather that the game is tricked into thinking they are ALL flying the ship and so it would predict accurately instead of jerking around.

Since after all the gunners only need to aim with their mice and fire, their movement keys would just be pushing in the same direction as that of the pilot?

Or is that a silly idea that would never work...?
 *Dark
03-07-2004, 8:25 AM
it could work, but it sounds like there are too many elements to it. just too complicated, wait for some one smarter than me to give you an explination
 Dingo Dave
03-12-2004, 8:08 PM
does it matter if its jerky even? Personally I would like to be able to aim turrets even if they don't work perfectly, its an extra part that makes it fun :), land your shuttle and the gunners take out the other team before you disembark.
 Andy867
03-19-2004, 3:56 PM
Trust me, it matters. the Smoother the view the better. Mike and I were constantly testing new coding to attempt to fix the prediction problem with passenger client machines, but in the end, we unfortunately had to leave it as is because the game was transmitting the wrong kind of data. Basically the pilot machine was "under the impression" that the passengers' machines could predict its movement, when in fact it cant, as Mike said previously. In the end, it would require a modified jamp.exe which is obviously out of the question.
Page: 1 of 1