Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

I need to hire someone who can Mod Jedi Academy

Page: 1 of 1
 Cyber-Kat
02-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Can anyone advise me on where to find a person to help develop training for kids on how to Mod?
We're going to use Jedi Knights Academy. I'm looking for people who know how to Mod it, and want to make money helping us develop some lessons / simple projects for kids to do.
 TK-8252
02-12-2004, 10:21 PM
I believe it's illegal to make money off of a mod... but I might be wrong. Also, try the Editing Requests (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&forumid=402) forum. You'll get more attention there. :)

Good luck! Oh, and welcome to LucasForums. :wavey:
 _PerfectAgent_
02-12-2004, 10:34 PM
I believe that Cyber-Kat is not talking about making a mod, but hiring someone to teach people to make mods. I don't think that's illegal because they are not making money off a mod directly.
 TK-8252
02-13-2004, 12:16 AM
Ah, I get it now. Sorry for the misunderstanding!
 Kurgan
02-13-2004, 1:27 AM
Yeah, that would be treading on shaky legal ground, anyway you can learn how to mod without paying a cent (other than online fees and the cost of buying a copy of JA!).

Just read the various tutorials, articles and messages posted in the editing forums and download the files you need from LucasFiles.com.

Lots of Radient tutorials abound on the 'net too. With time and patience you can learn.

Don't throw your money away when you could learn the same stuff for free in a couple of weeks.
 razorace
02-13-2004, 3:18 PM
I don't believe that there's an legal issues with paying to teach people to mod any more than there is to teach codding.

Anyway, I have a lot of modding experience with JKA over a variety of subjects and am interested. What sort of teaching program are you looking for?
 Prime
02-13-2004, 5:09 PM
I've done a fair bit of modding in the skinning area, and would be interested in something like this. I have written a few tutorials already...
 Cyber-Kat
02-17-2004, 5:43 AM
Yes, more info... what can I tell you...

I am looking to find a person who can help my company develop a set of projects and step by step instructions to help campers during our summer technology camp program.
I figured the best place to find you, would be out here were you are.... in modding forums.
I apologize for the intrusion.

Please feel free to email me a resume or some info about yourself, and ask anything you want to know about us: Kat@cybercamps.com
Feel free to check us out at www.cybercamps.com)

The position is called SME (Subject Matter Expert) - you won't create a game (we're not in the market of selling games), just some tutorials on the "HOW TO" of modding.
 Cyber-Kat
02-17-2004, 6:21 AM
I got a few more specs:

We are an online technology curriculum company and we offered courses like web design, programming, digital photography, 3D animation, game design, and more in our Cybercamps summer programs. This year we're adding Game Design III, which is dedicated to game modification, with emphasis on modding Jedi Knight Academy. Some minor additional content will also be created to discuss Microsoft's Rise of Nations and Age of Mythology.

We are looking to hire a subject matter expert (SME) to assist us in creating our Game Design III course. Qualified applicants should be comfortable writing tutorials on the following areas of modding:

- map design and building
- skinning
- scenario editing and scripting
- 3D model building
- 3D engine tweaking
- and more

This is a paid contract on a fixed-rate basis for the creation of a 35-hour course. The developer would also take screenshots of the game and software used for modding to import into our courseware delivery platform.
 =X=Master HeX
02-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Interesting... I'm not too far from Lisle, IL ;)
 Kengo
02-17-2004, 3:11 PM
Whoa, this actually is very interesting. Can I ask why you chose Jedi Academy for modding purposes?
 Isoparm
02-17-2004, 5:08 PM
I would suggest looking at this site for some basic course ideas. Watch the video tutorials

http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/unr_main.php)
 shukrallah
02-18-2004, 1:45 AM
ummmm... its all free at the JKA mapping forum. I know how to map script and skin, but i would never charge for giving someone a helpful tip, no one charged me to learn. Tutorials have been made, and people are constantly giving the best advice they can on the subject in various forums, for free.

Yeah, that would be treading on shaky legal ground, anyway you can learn how to mod without paying a cent (other than online fees and the cost of buying a copy of JA!).

Just read the various tutorials, articles and messages posted in the editing forums and download the files you need from LucasFiles.com.

Lots of Radient tutorials abound on the 'net too. With time and patience you can learn.

Don't throw your money away when you could learn the same stuff for free in a couple of weeks.

Exactly, I can name several, and im not charged to look at them, in fact one (the main one that taught me) said its free of charge. Even a couple of Raven employees have helped out the modding community by teaching for free.
 Kengo
02-18-2004, 5:29 PM
Although there are lots of free online tutorials, I personally can't see anything wrong with setting up some structured ones for people looking to learn in a more formal environment than just surfing the net for help. It would be terrible if someone nicked a load of tutorials off the net then got people to pay to look at them yeh, but thats not the case here, this is paying someone to create tutorials from scratch for you. This whole thing of gaming becoming a recognised educational thing that gets taught formally seems to really be taking off, which I think is probabaly a good thing, shows how it has more credibility as an industry. Shame the days of making hit games in your bedroom are over though!

I find it interesting that people would want to use JA, which never seemed very...I guess 'well known' when compared with the MoH and RtCW type games based on the Q3 engine.
Page: 1 of 1