Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hapslash's Improved Stormtrooper

Page: 4 of 5
 TK-8252
03-02-2004, 7:26 PM
Originally posted by HapSlash
I would rather not have any JA conversion mods released for the JO version of the model, especially considering how close the JA trooper is to being finished. Okay, I'll just keep the mod to myself for a while until you can get that Jedi Academy version.

Originally posted by ronbrothers
TK-8252, your work looks great. It's just a recolored pauldron and a small Sandtrooper fix... what's so great about it?

Originally posted by CaladienJedi
Yea, hap, it does. If it didnt Then why would raven use *off in the custom carectors :P. Hmm... I'll have to look into this further.

Originally posted by Infinity Blade
Then add a Very small texture change to the sand trooper, possibly a recolored shoulder texture, throw in some skin and npc files, then slap your name on it for the mod sites and stick his name in a readme? That, and you ask permission within 2 to 3 days from his JO release. Absolutely not. These new Field Troopers and Sandtrooper fix would be only a small part of this huge mod I'm making for Jedi Academy, over 40 MB in size and growing. The mod I've made includes dozens of my own skins, tons of new and fixed NPCs, sound fixes in multiplayer and single player, new blaster effects, and some other things as well.

I don't mean to sound offensive, but I do have a problem with this. I can understand if you wanted to release a mod as an addition to his. You could just throw the texture or two, then the skin and npc files into a pk3, then give him credit in the readme for the original textures.

Then people can download Hap's, then your file if they really want. Your pk3 would override the texture(s), and add the skins and such. Also people who already have it don't have to download a big file, and Hap doesn't have someone taking his months of work and slapping it in their own file which includes maybe a day's worth of work. It's much easier for the downloader to get everything needed in one download, rather than having to download all the models seperatly. It would be pretty hard to gather all the Field Trooper parts too without the entire model to work with.
 ronbrothers
03-02-2004, 8:22 PM
It's just a recolored pauldron and a small Sandtrooper fix... what's so great about it?

Nothing. I've changed my mind.
 t3rr0r
03-02-2004, 9:19 PM
wee, blackhole stormtroopers.

http://clan-cd.tripod.com/JA/blackhole_stormtrooper.txt)

anyone know why i get the error "jpeg read error: requested feature was ommited at compile time" when i try to put my own .jpg's on the model? i've had to use .tga's in the meantime.
 Infinity Blade
03-02-2004, 9:27 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252

Absolutely not. These new Field Troopers and Sandtrooper fix would be only a small part of this huge mod I'm making for Jedi Academy, over 40 MB in size and growing. The mod I've made includes dozens of my own skins, tons of new and fixed NPCs, sound fixes in multiplayer and single player, new blaster effects, and some other things as well.

It's much easier for the downloader to get everything needed in one download, rather than having to download all the models seperatly. It would be pretty hard to gather all the Field Trooper parts too without the entire model to work with. [/B]

Well, if it's a huge mod, then I can understand that. You really should specify what the mod is along with the request to use someone else's work.

And as far as easier to download, that depends on what the mod is, and if alot of people have the models already. If it was just a few text files and a couple of textures, then I'd say seperate it. If it is a larger mod, then grouping together is fine. As I said, you should've been more specific.

And as far as all the "Field Trooper" parts.. you wouldn't need more than one model if you wait for the JA version. All the sandtrooper and stormtrooper surfaces will be included there.
 TK-8252
03-02-2004, 9:56 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r
http://clan-cd.tripod.com/JA/blackhole_stormtrooper.txt) Goodness!

Well, if it's a huge mod, then I can understand that. You really should specify what the mod is along with the request to use someone else's work.

And as far as easier to download, that depends on what the mod is, and if alot of people have the models already. If it was just a few text files and a couple of textures, then I'd say seperate it. If it is a larger mod, then grouping together is fine. As I said, you should've been more specific. Yeah, I guess I should have explained the entire mod. I don't want you to think that all I'm doing is changing the Stormtrooper/Sandtrooper, that would be a pretty lousy. BTW, I also gave the black and white pauldron skins for the Sandtrooper their own icons, so they can show up in the profile screen.

And as far as all the "Field Trooper" parts.. you wouldn't need more than one model if you wait for the JA version. All the sandtrooper and stormtrooper surfaces will be included there. Well, I've set up the Field Trooper so that it is just another skin in the Sandtrooper model folder, and the skin file uses the Stormtrooper's clean textures. It was much easier for me to get everything set up correctly for the Field Trooper since I had everything together, not seperated into different pk3s.
 Infinity Blade
03-02-2004, 10:22 PM
Also, with the JA model, you'll be able to include the two packs that are apart of hips_augment . It wasn't included with the sandtrooper since that part is obscured by the backpack and pouches.

That, and the JA model includes a specular shader.

We originally had the 2 JO models as one, but we kept getting errors when we tried to get the sandtrooper surfaces on in SP. Instead of waiting another week or two to try and find a possible fix, we just seperated them and they work fine. JA on the other hand has no problems, so we just left it as one.
 [FotF]Maddog
03-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Cool I cant wait for the JKA version to be released. If you do need a tester for JKA i would be glad to help. I used to be a file reviewer at www.jk2files.com). My email and MSN messenger address is slelionis@comcast.net.
The JK2 version work fine and recieved 10/10 from me
:mad: Dog
 Infinity Blade
03-03-2004, 1:23 AM
wee, blackhole stormtroopers.

anyone know why i get the error "jpeg read error: requested feature was ommited at compile time" when i try to put my own .jpg's on the model? i've had to use .tga's in the meantime. Uhmmm... are you getting that with JA or modview?

I'm not sure what would cause that problem. I've used several different textures with different names... both .tga and .jpg . I haven't come across that one, so I'm not exactly sure what causes that error. Of course, I don't have JA either.

All the files were originally saved as Jpg's for the release, so they should work that way. You could try loading up Hap's originals, and paste your textures in, then save over them. If that loads without problem, it could've been just a slight mistake in the naming of a texture or skin file, etc.

To be honest, I can't really think of too much it could be right now. Someone else might know more about it....

EDIT: I do know that there were a few programs that output the .jpg file as .jpeg, and modview wouldn't read the .jpeg extension. I suppose that's another possibility.
 Prime
03-03-2004, 4:03 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for doing these great models. They are already downloaded and installed... :)
 t3rr0r
03-03-2004, 4:09 PM
Uhmmm... are you getting that with JA or modview?
ja AND both versions of modview give me this error. when ja comes up with this it just quits to desktop with the mini console saying the error.

All the files were originally saved as Jpg's for the release, so they should work that way. You could try loading up Hap's originals, and paste your textures in, then save over them. If that loads without problem, it could've been just a slight mistake in the naming of a texture or skin file, etc.
modview won't even let me use edited versions of the original textures (no renaming). :(

EDIT: I do know that there were a few programs that output the .jpg file as .jpeg, and modview wouldn't read the .jpeg extension. I suppose that's another possibility.
all my .jpg's are .jpg.

i just don't know what the problem is. :(
 Infinity Blade
03-03-2004, 4:35 PM
Is it only with this model that you have the problem?

Neither Hap nor I have had any problems, and with TK's images I'm guessing it worked fine for him too.

Did you maybe switch image editors lately? One possibility is maybe try a different one, or load up a converter and resave it.

If you want, you can email me the helmet texture in .jpg and I can look at a couple things.
 [FotF]Maddog
03-03-2004, 5:50 PM
If using photoshop 7.0 do not use the save for the web option for saving. Save them as jpeg and use baseline ("Standard") option. I tried using the save image for the web and it was causing problems. Hope this helps you out, if not good luck.
:mad: Dog
 t3rr0r
03-03-2004, 6:40 PM
Originally posted by [FotF]Maddog
If using photoshop 7.0 do not use the save for the web option for saving. Save them as jpeg and use baseline ("Standard") option.
that did it! i noticed mine was set on progressive scan. thanks maddog (and IB for trying to figure out the problem :)). :D
 TK-8252
03-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Ack, looks like I was wrong. Putting *off in a skin file will indeed turn the surface off completely. Thanks for correcting me! :D
 t3rr0r
03-04-2004, 12:57 AM
what do you guys think of the shader thus far?

http://clan-cd.tripod.com/JA/blackhole_shader_wip1.txt)

maybe hap will allow a public release once the JA version is out. :cool:

edit: oops, just realised something with the shader is wrong... it's shiney even in dark shadow.
 HapSlash
03-04-2004, 1:18 PM
:dev7:

One of the reasons why the JA trooper wasn't already completed is that I've been finishing the images for a specular shader that Infinity Blade set up for me.

Here's a picture of the shader at work on the model with only flat black textures. I took this in JO, so I'm not exactly sure if it will look the same in JA.

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/shader-shot_01.jpg)

And here is a shot with the shader on the base stormtrooper textures.

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/shader-shot_02.jpg)

I was thinking about doing an updated JO version with the shader and a few of the texture fixes that I've applied to the Academy version, but I'm beginning to think that there isn't much point to it anymore. Out of the 180 people who've downloaded it, I imagine that most of them are trying to use it with JA anyway.
 t3rr0r
03-04-2004, 3:20 PM
very impressive... that spec texture must be very detailed.

i've given up on the pilot model method of shineyness, as it's either not effected by lights (so it glows, in a sense) or it is just all dark.
 HapSlash
03-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Yeah,.. it's just as detailed as the base textures. It pulls off the semi-gloss sheen pretty well, but I don't think it would work very well for a high-gloss shine.

Oh yeah,... I was looking at the first pic you posted of the black trooper and it looks like a mod-view shot and he's holding a blaster. I didn't think that was possible.
 HapSlash
03-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Arggghhh,.... I caught another mistake.

There's been something bothering me about the E-11's in the shots that have been posted. After I took a look through the pk3 I see what it is,...

Here is the one that was released,... and then the correct one,...
http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/blaster-wrong.jpghttp://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/blaster-right.jpg)

It released blaster appears to be the first test version that was compiled before I refined the uv-map and textures.

It's just one more thing that needs to be fixed I guess,...
 t3rr0r
03-05-2004, 3:17 PM
There's been something bothering me about the E-11's in the shots that have been posted. After I took a look through the pk3 I see what it is,...
i noticed the lighter texture too, but i just figured that's how it turned out.

and yes, you can bolts items/weapons/whatever to tags in modview.

hap, you should try adding glow to the final JA spec shader. it makes it just a little bit nicer.

ex.

models/players/stormtrooper/arms
{
cull twosided
{
map models/players/stormtrooper/arms
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map models/players/stormtrooper/arms_spec
blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
detail
glow
alphaGen lightingSpecular
}
}
 HapSlash
03-05-2004, 5:22 PM
you can bolts items/weapons/whatever to tags in modview.
How do you do that?
hap, you should try adding glow to the final JA spec shader. it makes it just a little bit nicer.
What kind of effect does it add?
 t3rr0r
03-05-2004, 5:55 PM
How do you do that?

on the side menu, go to tag surfaces or whatever it's named (i'm not at home so i can't check), then right click on the tag and select add and then seek out the .glm you want to bolt on.

What kind of effect does it add?
it gives the highlight a little bit of ambient glow (definately not as if it's it's own light source like lights using glow in JA). you can see a distant glow around the lamps in my second image (the one with 4 squares). it just makes it a bit more shiney looking, to me anyway.

we really gotta get you JA, hap. ;)

edit: here's a couple of examples.

the first column is showing the slight glow of the spec lighting. the second, the full blow glow of a lamp.

http://clan-cd.tripod.com/JA/dynamicglow_ex.txt)

the first row is with dynamic glow turned off.
the second is with dynamic glow on (set to 1).
the third is dynamic glow set to 2 (shows glow only).
 HapSlash
03-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks!

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/throw-it.gif)
I just couldn't help myself.
 Neverhoodian
03-08-2004, 1:24 PM
ROFL! :rofl:

That's classic, Hap.:D
 HapSlash
03-08-2004, 3:47 PM
Did anyone have to make any modifications to the E-11 to get it to work with outcast, such as renaming anything, or did it work as it is?

I'm pretty much ready to pack this thing up, and wanted to know if there's anything I should add or change.
 Pahricida
03-08-2004, 4:15 PM
jeah perhaps you should include a different Version of the Sandtrooper.

Sandtrooper Model with Stormtrooper Textures ... like the Storm Commandos from Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight.

Don't know, wether you already did this, but it would be cool .. no doubt.
 HapSlash
03-08-2004, 5:47 PM
Nah,... TK-8252 had that idea and has already started setting them up.

I just want to get these two finished. I'm not really looking for any new ideas, just what I need to do in oder to get this thing released.
 t3rr0r
03-08-2004, 6:44 PM
Did anyone have to make any modifications to the E-11 to get it to work with outcast, such as renaming anything, or did it work as it is?
they have the same name, and work as is.
 HapSlash
03-08-2004, 6:50 PM
Ok,... Thanks.
 Pahricida
03-08-2004, 7:52 PM
just remember the officer thingy :p
 RJW_ca
03-08-2004, 8:33 PM
Does you mean that your Rockettrooper will replace the one in JA???
would that suck because the Rockettrooper in JA looks more like a real guard--like something a little more fearfull-- and remember this is years later so the Rockettrooper has probably been updated over the years

What do you think?

I so want to see the stormtroopers for JA with shaders--it will be so kool!!!

RJW_ca "OUT"

RJW_ca@hotmail.com
 TK-8252
03-08-2004, 8:39 PM
There are two different Rocket Troopers in Jedi Academy. There's the rocket launcher-wielding Stormtrooper, and then the jetpack trooper with a rocket launcher or a repeater. So the jetpack trooper still remains.
 Sounds Risky
03-08-2004, 8:52 PM
 HapSlash
03-08-2004, 9:32 PM
:lol:
 TK-8252
03-08-2004, 9:42 PM
Originally posted by Sounds Risky
http://www.speakeasy.net/~mattshoemaker/images/matrixtrooper_sml.gif) Eww... the ugly trooper! Get it away!
 Pahricida
03-08-2004, 10:07 PM
hehe ... clumsy troopers could never do that :D
 monsoontide
03-09-2004, 12:06 AM
The only people Storm Troopers can't shoot ('Cos they're under orders BTW) are the "Heros". All the standard rebels get whupped! example: On the bloackade Runner, The Jawas, On Hoth, On Bespin (They take over the whole city), on Endor (The rebel troopers get kicked) it's just those damn Ewoks - perhaps they're just "too short for stormtroopers". ;)
 HapSlash
03-09-2004, 12:13 AM
I don't know,... if you watch 'Jedi' a whole lot of them little suckers get whacked,...

Mwaaa, haa, ha, ha, haaaa!!!

:dev7:

The Imperials were just severely outnumbered.
 monsoontide
03-09-2004, 1:23 AM
Those Ewoks must breed like rabbits!!! ;)
 ace_rogue1
03-09-2004, 2:36 AM
Stormies helmets just dont let them see low ;)
Its those darn ewok pimps we have to thank for the large number of ewoks -_^
 Infinity Blade
03-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Furry little Ho's?.... yuuuuugghhh.... *shudder*

I dunno... I don't think they're really that accurate.. I just think if they concentrate enough fire power on one spot, eventually they'll hit something. :D
 AlphaleX
03-11-2004, 1:37 PM
How I can download the blackhole stormtrooper?
 t3rr0r
03-11-2004, 2:49 PM
Originally posted by AlphaleX
How I can download the blackhole stormtrooper?
with haps permission, i'll upload it once he releases the JA version. unless he would want it included with the release... whatever hap thinks.
 Autobot Traitor
03-11-2004, 3:06 PM
You know what would be cool is if the stormie model could be made compatible with Ducan's exposed weapons mod. The E-11 could actualy fit in the holster.
 t3rr0r
03-11-2004, 10:38 PM
a couple shots... wee...

http://clan-cd.tripod.com/JA/bht-ominous.txt)

http://clan-cd.tripod.com/JA/bht-headon.txt)

edit: btw... tk, what's the name of that cinematic map you used for your screenshots? i knew it once, but i'm too lazy to go through the maps to check. :P
 TK-8252
03-11-2004, 11:20 PM
I think it's t1_inter.

And t3rr0r, shhhhh... <_< >_>
 t3rr0r
03-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by TK-8252
I think it's t1_inter.

And t3rr0r, shhhhh... <_< >_>
shh what? <_< >_>
 HapSlash
03-12-2004, 1:53 AM
I tried posting this around 4pm, but my server went down. I'll probably release the JA versions around midnight tonight(CST), which is in just a few hours, as I haven't heard of any other bugs with it. I've redone a few of the textures fixed the shader and created new icons for the Stormtrooper.

Here's the message I tried posting earlier today,...

with haps permission, i'll upload it once he releases the JA version. unless he would want it included with the release... whatever hap thinks.
I don't plan on including anything other than the base & team skins, So if anyone wants Black Hole Stormtroopers or clean Sandtroopers, they'll have to be made afterwards.

Originally posted by Autobot Traitor
You know what would be cool is if the stormie model could be made compatible with Ducan's exposed weapons mod. The E-11 could actualy fit in the holster.

I think that idea works well for the sabers, but it looks kinda odd having the blasters just dangling from their legs. It would look better with a holster, but only the weapon that the holster was made for.

And, as an npc, the Stormtrooper is always holding his weapon. Therefor, the only time you would ever use those tags would be as a player character.
 t3rr0r
03-12-2004, 10:17 AM
I don't plan on including anything other than the base & team skins, So if anyone wants Black Hole Stormtroopers or clean Sandtroopers, they'll have to be made afterwards.
i take it that you'd be fine with me releasing the blackhole trooper skin then... and of course 99% of the credit will go towards yourself. :)

mind you i still need to figure out how to add new npc weapons...
 Neverhoodian
03-12-2004, 2:03 PM
Just dropped in to say the JA versions of Hap's Stormtrooper and Sandtrooper are now available for download.

Improved Stormtrooper:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/4628/)

Improved Sandtrooper:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/4629/)

Great work as always, Hap!:thumbsup:
Page: 4 of 5