Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A few ideas and a request to possibly assist in some way

Page: 1 of 1
 Admiral Chemix
12-26-2003, 12:23 PM
:) Hello, I'm Admiral Chemix, I have a few ideas for this mod and if possible I would like to assist with OJP. Well first with the ideas, I think you should raise the possible amount of icons that apear in the profile, right now it's around 50 or so, it won't even show all the skins in a skin pack. Also I had some ideas about force changes and bot changes. I find that bots use lightning at every chance if they use the dark side, perhaps there is a way to make it so they don't use lightning as often and have them use grip a little more often. For Force Ideas I would be interested in seeing similar things to that which was in forcemod such as level 4-5 force skill levels. Also I think there should be more force powers, for lightside, lightside lightning which is more costly in points wise but takes much less out of the force pool than darkside lighting, but is slightly more powerful. For Darkside, a force absorb ability, allowing the player using this power to absorb other players force skills, such as lightning, protect, grip, it would be like singleplayer drain when one grab a player and suck the life out of them except green and would not damage the other player in any way, this ability would be extremely costly in points, level 1 can only absorb neutral skills, level 2 can absorb lightside skills, level 3 can absorb all skills, level 4 can absorb all skills much faster, level 5 same as 4 except takes much less out of the force pool. I currently have several models waiting to be boned and put ingame including a droidecka(destroyer droid), an atat, a fixed up reborn model and an untextured female reborn model. I was hoping that perhaps I could assit in the mod through modeling, ideas and skinning. So What do ya say
 razorace
12-26-2003, 6:40 PM
So how long would this Force Vampire ability last on the victim? And how would this balance vs. the light side?

A female reborn sounds cool.

We already have Droideka model WIP so you're probably going to have to compare notes with the other modeller.

I don't think we have an ATST yet but you're going to have to talk to Phunk about implimenting it since a new vehicle class will probably have to be created for it.

The vehicle discussion thread is here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119505).
 Marker0077
12-27-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Admiral Chemix
I think you should raise the possible amount of icons that apear in the profile, right now it's around 50 or so, it won't even show all the skins in a skin pack.It's set to 256 altogether between red, blue & default. We plan on upping that eventually. Actually I forgot why this hasn't been implimented already.Originally posted by Admiral Chemix
Also I think there should be more force powers, for lightside, lightside lightning which is more costly in points wise but takes much less out of the force pool than darkside lighting, but is slightly more powerful. For Darkside, a force absorb ability, allowing the player using this power to absorb other players force skills, such as lightning, protect, grip...I think we should just make any force power available to a user. In other words, you can use light & dark side force powers. That's how it is in SP & I think that's how it should be in MP.Originally posted by Admiral Chemix
I currently have several models waiting to be boned and put ingame including a droidecka(destroyer droid), an atat, a fixed up reborn model and an untextured female reborn model. I was hoping that perhaps I could assit in the mod through modeling, ideas and skinning.I'm currently getting into modeling more seriously myself. Can always use another modeler though.
 Admiral Chemix
12-31-2003, 1:24 PM
As for the force vampire power it would last as long as there is force to use (would use it very quicly though), as for a light side power to balance it out, force reflect would be interesting, for 10 seconds or until force runs out it would reflect all force back at the oponet using it, or perhaps a force wind ability similar to that in kotor, it would make the oponet spin in the air for about 10 seconds, during that time the person using the power can attack. Also perhaps you should switch the bots to use a modified version of the singleplayer npc code. If the player model/skin limit is 256, I'd up it to atleast tripple that amount. So may I assist with OJP
 razorace
12-31-2003, 6:21 PM
Well, OJP is open ended. You can work on whatever you want as long as the majority approves of it.
 Marker0077
01-01-2004, 3:40 AM
Originally posted by Admiral Chemix
...force reflect would be interesting, for 10 seconds or until force runs out it would reflect all force back at the oponet using it...I like this idea but I think time-wise it should be setup exactly how force Absorb is.Originally posted by Admiral Chemix
...or perhaps a force wind ability similar to that in kotor...I already suggested this idea elsewhere. We already have a different thread specifically for new force powers, I suggest you post these ideas there, especially the "force reflect" one, I like that alot.Originally posted by Admiral Chemix
If the player model/skin limit is 256, I'd up it to atleast tripple that amount.There's a problem with upping the model limit, I forgot what it is exactly but I do know there is one. A 512 limit shouldn't be too problematic & I think you might even be able to get away with a 1024 but I wouldn't go any higher. I know whether or not a users PC can handle it or not does depend on the users PC.
 Darth Sun
01-01-2004, 9:49 AM
Originally posted by Marker0077
There's a problem with upping the model limit, I forgot what it is exactly but I do know there is one. A 512 limit shouldn't be too problematic & I think you might even be able to get away with a 1024 but I wouldn't go any higher. I know whether or not a users PC can handle it or not does depend on the users PC. [/B]

Indeed 512 is a good new limit, 1024 could start being a problem at some point.

To answer your doubt we have to observe how Quake 3 handled this, it would cause a memory overflow and crash Quake 3 (and most of the times lock up your PC) once you tried to load a map after "abusing" the memory with tons of character models and skins.

If I remember the message that would appear in the screen was something like "Memory out of reach" when that happenned, correct me if I'm wrong everyone since I'm working from memory here.
 Admiral Chemix
01-01-2004, 2:27 PM
I think I know how to solve the overload problem, make pages of skins. with little arrows to go to the next page or the previous page, and a model veiwer to the left of the screen to show the selected skin/model. It might solve the mem issue
 Marker0077
01-01-2004, 2:42 PM
That's already how it is. The only real way to fix this is to re-write the UI menus & probably the code as well & no one wants to do that. Actually, we might need to change the engine to make that happen & if that's the case, there's no chance because there is no code for modifying the engine.

What I plan on doing is adding alot of the models into the CPC menu, this will take away from the need to add onto the standard menu.
 Admiral Chemix
01-01-2004, 3:01 PM
I didn't mean a scroll I meant like a page, loads a page of icons (10 icons per page)
 Darth Sun
01-01-2004, 3:28 PM
The number of pages isn't an issue, you could have an icon per page and it would still overload the memory after a while.
Quake 3 had a page setup (about 20 per page or something? don't remember exactly), but it would still overload after a while.
 Marker0077
01-01-2004, 4:44 PM
Right, it has nothing to do with how many avatar icons are loaded on the screen at one time, it's how many are loaded altogether (including team colors).
Page: 1 of 1