Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The lowdown on Realistic Saber/Dismemberment Settings

Page: 1 of 1
 razorace
11-16-2003, 9:40 AM
Ok, let's clear things up once and for all.

=========
Singleplayer
=========

Apprenently the lastest patch (1.01) changed how SP handles realistic saber combat. g_saberrealisticcombat no longer exists and g_sabermorerealistic is now write protected (and not even accessable with cheat mode).

As such, you have three options on activating realistic saber combat / dismemberment. Both methods assume that you have model dismemberment turned on in your Setup->Options menu...

1. Use a modified menu to change the setting. I've personally done this change (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117828) and will release it quickly if the demand is high. This is the easiest and quickest method.

2. Set the g_sabermorerealistic from the command line. Just add "+set g_sabermorerealistic number" to whatever method you use to start the game.

3. Add the g_sabermorerealistic setting (seta _sabermorerealistic number" to your autoexec.cfg. This will set the cvar whenever you start up the game.

g_sabermorerealistic Settings
----------------------------

0 = Off
1 = Boosted Damage
2 = Realistic Dismemberment
3 = Realistic Idle Damage

========
Multiplayer
========

Dismemberment for MP is easy but a two part issue.

1. Whoever is running the server must set g_dismember to a non-zero number.

This cvar is set on a 0-100 percentage scale......

0 = 0% chance of dismemberment
100% = 100% chance of dismemberment (when the conditions are correct)

2. Each client must set their cg_dismember setting to a non-zero number.

cg_dismember Settings
-------------------------

0 = Off
1 = Hand Dismemberment only?
2 = Arm/Hand Dismemberment only?
3 = Full dismemberment allowed.

That's all for know. I can write more about the individual methods if people request it. Sorry about any errors. It's bedtime and I'm tired.
 Astrotoy7
11-16-2003, 10:03 AM
** Finishes reading Razoraces Post -
Runs around the room screaming and pulling hair ! **

How did something so simple become so complicated....

Pre patch I had bound a key to g_saberrealisticcombat 2, and thats all i needed to keep me happy. post patch...... :(

Thanks for that though Razorace, definitely the lowdown !

MTFBWYA

*has since reinstalled JA sans patch, life is normal and good again*
 Akshara
11-16-2003, 11:35 AM
How did something so simple become so complicated....
LoL... what's complicated is the 30 or so different versions of dismemberment that have been pasted across all the forums. It's enough to make one's head fall off...

But seriously, way to go Razorace! Excellent clarification.

Just to add... these cvars may by manually added directly into the jaconfig.cfg and jampconfig.cfg respectively as well. Works smooth as a stormtrooper's bottom...

Could this be stickied with large neon blinking letters... please?
 Jawa8578
11-16-2003, 1:09 PM
Originally posted by Akshara
Works smooth as a stormtrooper's bottom...

Anyway, you obviously know how to use cvars, so why can't a cvar enabling/disabling kicks be added to the game?
 Lince
11-16-2003, 5:28 PM
Thanks man, that cleared things up for me.:rock:
 Sam Fisher
11-16-2003, 6:11 PM
Thanks fro the info Mr. Ace.
 razorace
11-16-2003, 6:38 PM
Just to add... these cvars may by manually added directly into the jaconfig.cfg and jampconfig.cfg respectively as well. Works smooth as a stormtrooper's bottom...

Are you sure that works? And without turning on cheat mode?
 DarkLord60
11-16-2003, 7:46 PM
Nope I guess it does it. So your saying in the shortcut the target line should look like this "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\JediAcademy.exe"+seta g_sabermorerealistic 2" because that doesn't work it just says invalid target
 Mannysil
11-16-2003, 8:05 PM
Pleaseeee include it in your next version of ojp,that would be great.
 DarkLord60
11-16-2003, 8:10 PM
I know you cant just add that to your shortcut you also have to add it to the .exe file but would someone kindly show me how to do this with XP cause its diff with 98. I used to have to do this with half life.
 Mannysil
11-16-2003, 8:14 PM
This is how i do it with win2000pro basically the same as xp.I right click on the exe and make a shortcut,then just right click on the shortcut and find the taget and just add to it.Hope this helps if not just ignore it:)
 Tinny
11-16-2003, 8:20 PM
for me iknowkungfu does wonders :), then you can disable whatever you don't want and just work with the dismemberment
 DarkLord60
11-16-2003, 8:22 PM
Here is what I am talking about. http://www.aotctc.com/forums/files/dismembermet_problem_.jpg)

When I press apply I get that error. See I am use to doing this with 98 any ideas.
 JaledDur
11-16-2003, 8:42 PM
Take out that last quote.
 DarkLord60
11-16-2003, 8:44 PM
tried that
 eniaC
11-16-2003, 9:15 PM
Originally posted by DarkLord60
tried that

try putting a space before the +
 idontlikegeorge
11-16-2003, 9:16 PM
Um, JediAcademy.exe is the launcher program. Not the game program.

The game program for single player is jasp.exe in the GameData folder.

I'm just mentioning this because I don't think the launcher program carries over command line parameters to the game executable it targets...
 DarkLord60
11-16-2003, 9:17 PM
Did that too
 Amidala from Chop Shop
11-16-2003, 10:01 PM
1. Correct path is "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe"

2. Try set instead of seta, so entire shortcut is
"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" +set g_sabermorerealistic 2
 DarkLord60
11-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
1. Correct path is "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe"

2. Try set instead of seta, so entire shortcut is
"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" +set g_sabermorerealistic 2

wooohoo it worked! Thank You!
 Amidala from Chop Shop
11-16-2003, 10:47 PM

woohoo, and she scores!

http://ca.yimg.com/i/ca/reuters/20021028/i/1611358250.jpg)

I may not be great with a saber or a det pack, but I pwn the command line and console!
 DarkLord60
11-16-2003, 11:27 PM
lol
 razorace
11-17-2003, 2:12 AM

Which suggestion did it?
 Kurgan
11-17-2003, 4:56 AM
The difficulty in enabling full dismemberment probably has something to do with the family-friendly nature of the SW franchise image... ie: not wishing to make it super easy for little tykes to enable chopping up of body parts in a video game (but allowing smart mature gamers to pull it off if they want to).

At least they didn't remove them entirely...
 Akshara
11-17-2003, 5:12 AM
Which suggestion did it?
The +set added to the command line of jasp.exe.

Are you sure that works? And without turning on cheat mode?
Though I haven't played SP since the patch was released, I've yet to come across a cvar that didn't work when added to the jaconfig.cfg file directly. Cheat codes have to be added to an autoexec.cfg after HelpUsObi 1... but write-protected cvars usually work when added to the cfg files directly without cheat mode enabled.

However, I have not personally tried the g_sabermorerealistic cvar in jaconfig.cfg since the patch was released; yet the fact it can work when added as a variable to the command line would lead me to believe it would still work the cfg-direct way as well.
 Prime
11-17-2003, 2:13 PM
Originally posted by Jawa8578

Anyway, you obviously know how to use cvars, so why can't a cvar enabling/disabling kicks be added to the game? It can. It just hasn't been so far. I'd like to see that though...
 DarkLord60
11-17-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by razorace
Which suggestion did it?

Try set instead of seta, so entire shortcut is
 razorace
11-17-2003, 10:45 PM
ok, I've fixed it in the first post.
 Akshara
11-17-2003, 11:08 PM
Just as a followup, I believe the "seta" command is only supposed to be used in the actual "official" config files, and all other custom cfg files, executable command lines, or ingame console entries should use the "set" command instead. At least that's how I understood it to be on past Q3 based games. Not 100% sure of this though.
 WJTW
11-18-2003, 4:55 AM
I still can't get it to work.

1) I've tried typing it into the command line, and got the command overwritten by the default setting.

2) Renamed 'jaconfig.cfg' to 'autoexec.cfg', with the commands and values provided by other posters. I found out that a new 'jaconfig.cfg' was created, and every command was read from it instead.

However, I find what Akshara said interesting. I usually turn on cheat mode to check if the values have been registered (and also to change playermodels.)... so, I can't turn on cheat mode for it to work? Wouldn't that be to restrictive?
I'll try not turning on cheat mode and see if it works.

WJTW
 Amidala from Chop Shop
11-18-2003, 5:36 AM
Just as a followup, I believe the "seta" command is only supposed to be used in the actual "official" config files, and all other custom cfg files, executable command lines, or ingame console entries should use the "set" command instead. At least that's how I understood it to be on past Q3 based games. Not 100% sure of this though.

Sometimes seta works in the console (/seta cg_dismember 2 being the most-used console command for Chop Shop clients), but most times it doesn't. Set in the console or command line, seta in config files.

set (variable) <value> Set a console variable (CVAR)
sets (variable) <value> Set a server information CVAR
seta (variable) <value> Set a CVAR with archive flaged
setu (variable) <value> Set a CVAR with userinfo flagged
 Akshara
11-18-2003, 6:23 AM
WJTW...

Read this thread here for detailed help...

How do I make an exec cfg? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117696)
Page: 1 of 1