Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Saber dismemberment?

Page: 1 of 1
 Azrael666
09-02-2003, 10:10 AM
OK, maybe Im a big of a sicko of something, but in Outcast's single player I would always use the g_saberrealisticcombat 1 code and cut op the bad guys. Now Ive seen a few videos and I think Ive seen heads come off, but Im not sure due to video quality (I dont know why I expect so much of IGN!). Basically will the game feature dismemberment as standard (in Outcast you cut off the occasional hand without the cheat), or will there be code, or neither.

Its just that Im used to it, plus are we to believe we can swing a concentrated laserbeam through someone and not cut bis off of them?
 Kurgan
09-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Same engine and all, so we're all assuming that you can still dismember, at least in the PC version.

You may have to use codes again for the "full effect" as you did before, but that's no big deal.
 Rockstar
09-02-2003, 12:01 PM
i could only personally use g_saberrealisticcombat 1 for only maybe 3 stages. it kinda got dull in the end and i actually just missed slicing a guy and seeing him drop to the ground in one piece.

i don't know how many people noticed this, but that cheat also increased the sabers power so it was basically a one hit kill. this made saber fights extremely newbyishly easy on JM... another reason why it sucked

i don't think we need huge amounts of dismemberment as imho it kinda makes battling seem "un-jedi like", as a jedi only cuts down his foe so that he can pass him, if he can no other way. not try and slice both his legs of for the fun of it lol

thats all ;)
 txa1265
09-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Rockstar
i don't know how many people noticed this, but that cheat also increased the sabers power so it was basically a one hit kill. this made saber fights extremely newbyishly easy on JM... another reason why it sucked
I remember when we first discussed that code here, and I tried it out ... I was on Cairn Assembly on my 2nd or 3rd playthrough, and turned it on ... what a mess of body parts - but it was woefully easy, so I only had it on for about 30 seconds ...

If they could make it a menu option ... vary levels, even with a parental lock, and thereby keep control of the damage scaling, that would be much better.

...don't expect to see that, though ...

Mike
 Prime
09-02-2003, 4:51 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
If they could make it a menu option ... vary levels, even with a parental lock, and thereby keep control of the damage scaling, that would be much better. IIRC, there is a menu option for dismemberment, but it never seemed to work properly for me.
 txa1265
09-02-2003, 5:03 PM
Originally posted by Prime
IIRC, there is a menu option for dismemberment, but it never seemed to work properly for me. It seemed more binary:
(ON) occasionally based on a system I'll not tell you about
(OFF) Off.

I didn't mind the (on) option as I saw plenty of limbs o'flyin', but I'd prefer something a bit more deterministic ...

Mike
 StormHammer
09-02-2003, 5:05 PM
Yes, in JO you had to go into the menu and 'enable' dismemberment, which then allowed you to see hands and arms being cut off. Raven have already said that by default JA will have similar dismemberment to that shown in the movies (i.e., arms and hands again - but I doubt head-lopping will be a default setting), so I expect similar codes to vary saber damage and the amount of body parts flying around.
 Azrael666
09-03-2003, 1:03 PM
Now that I think of it, prehaps Tavion and Desaan did seem easier with the dismemberment cheet on, though it still took more than one unblocked swing to kill them. I think that dismemberment should not increase saber power, just cuts bits of with the killing blow.

All the same, one of the most satisfying moments i had on single player Outcast was the secound time fighting Dessan (I had already beaten him, bearly, without the cheat) with blue stance, and with one smooth move the game went into bullet time (I forget if that was a seperate cheat) and I took of Desaan's saberhand, span right around and cut off his head. He then feel backwards into the pit and made a nice 'woompth' when he hit the floor.
 BloodRiot
09-03-2003, 1:24 PM
The first time I beat Desaan was a pain... but I finally succeed... then I wanted to do that again... accidentally I was one of the many surprised when the collumn broke and fell on him... Well they say the second time around it get's easier.. I just didn't know it was that easy...and.. un intentionally easy ;p

As for saber dismemberment... try putting the cvar in 3 i think.. then do a saber throw at a stormy for instance... They look like the crash dummies.
 Prime
09-03-2003, 1:41 PM
Perhaps a slider for dismemberment would have been easier? With three for four positions, you could select how severe you wanted the dismemberment to be. I assume it won't be that way in JA though. :(
 Rassick
09-03-2003, 2:11 PM
Originally posted by Prime
I assume it won't be that way in JA though. :(

Of course not, because that would make sense. :mad:
 Kurgan
09-03-2003, 2:41 PM
Well see there was the regular dismemberment options and then there was "saberrealisticcombat" which made idle sabers damage (normally they don't) in SP and also greatly increased the saber damage.

Compare them... with saberrealisticcombat you can just wander into a Stormtrooper with your blade extended (don't even swing) and they literally fall apart.
 Prime
09-03-2003, 3:08 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Compare them... with saberrealisticcombat you can just wander into a Stormtrooper with your blade extended (don't even swing) and they literally fall apart. That was, pardon the pun, overkill. :)
 Azrael666
09-03-2003, 4:45 PM
Originally posted by BloodRiot
accidentally I was one of the many surprised when the collumn broke and fell on him...

I didnt know you could do that? How do you get the column to fall on him?
 Obi-Wan X
09-03-2003, 4:49 PM
I agree with Prime, a slider would have been terrific. Or perhaps a parental lock key that came with the box? Or better yet a code that dismembered but didnt make things ridiculously easy :)
 Rassick
09-03-2003, 7:01 PM
Well, things SHOULD be easy. After all, a Jedi with his lightsaber and the Force as is ally, is like the most deadly weapon in the Star Wars galaxy. Of course you should be hacking up the opposition like butter.
When fighting enemies with blasters, the trick is to generally fight a whole bunch of enemies so you have to use the Force and stay on the move to avoid getting hit.
And when in a lightsaber duel, the trick is not to have your opponent eat ten slashes before dying, but to have fluid strokes and blocks (like in the KOTOR trailers) and if the blade gets through even once, the victim is severely wounded if not dead, depending on where he is hit. :)
 StormHammer
09-03-2003, 7:24 PM
Originally posted by Rassick
Well, things SHOULD be easy. After all, a Jedi with his lightsaber and the Force as is ally, is like the most deadly weapon in the Star Wars galaxy. Of course you should be hacking up the opposition like butter.
When fighting enemies with blasters, the trick is to generally fight a whole bunch of enemies so you have to use the Force and stay on the move to avoid getting hit.
And when in a lightsaber duel, the trick is not to have your opponent eat ten slashes before dying, but to have fluid strokes and blocks (like in the KOTOR trailers) and if the blade gets through even once, the victim is severely wounded if not dead, depending on where he is hit. :)

While I agree with you, this game isn't supposed to be 'realistic' (in the loosest sense of the word considering we're discussing fictional weapons etc.), but relatively easy to play and fun to boot. If you could kill non-Force enemies really easily, that's not much of a challenge. By the same token, if you're in a saber duel with a Dark Jedi and spend 15 minutes swinging your saber around but not hitting him because of improved blocking ability, that's not much fun either. And it wouldn't be much fun if the 'one-hit-kill' rule was applied to you as the gamer, IMHO. I wouldn't want to have to reload every five minutes because I made one 'mistake'. They just have to try and find the right balance between making the game challenging and making it accessible and easy to complete for the majority of gamers.

I'll play through with the default options the first time...and once I've finished SP, I'll go back and hopefully be able to turn on more 'reaslitic' saber damage to have a play around. ;)
 Rassick
09-03-2003, 7:53 PM
Good thoughts Stormhammer, but you should at the very least always be allowed to kill non-saber enemies with one saber slash. :)
 Kurgan
09-03-2003, 10:30 PM
Why stop there?

There's no logical reason why a saber wielding enemy shouldn't die from one or two saber hits either...
Page: 1 of 1