Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is there a point to using a SINGLE saber in JKA?

Page: 1 of 2
 EnchainedBlade
08-19-2003, 9:51 PM
Will there be a point to using a single saber in Jedi Knight Academy? In KOTOR, there are benefits to using one light sabre as adversed to two. I hope Jedi Knight Academy is similar in this regard, because I KNOW that almost everyone and their mother will want either dual sabers or double bladed ones..
 FK | unnamed
08-19-2003, 10:03 PM
in level 1 of the SP game you have to face the "star wars kid" as the level head boss and the single saber is the only one that can kill him.
 EnchainedBlade
08-19-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by FK | unnamed
in level 1 of the SP game you have to face the "star wars kid" as the level head boss and the single saber is the only one that can kill him.

Yeah, but after that, whats the point of remaining with single saber? Thats what I'm getting at. Is there ANY disadvantage/advantage of single saber over dual saber or double saber?
 StormHammer
08-19-2003, 10:12 PM
LOL @ unnamed...

On a more serious note, of course each lightsaber selection will have it's inherent advantages and disadvantages.

WARNING: some minor spoilers ahead.

Single Saber - 3 stances (light, medium, heavy) with ability to throw.

Dual Sabers - 1 stance, with a range of faster and spinning attacks, with the ability to throw one saber while holding onto the second to slice-and-dice or deflect incoming fire.

Saberstaff - 1 stance, with the ability to kick in any direction and pull off acrobatic flips and spins (sounds a bit like Maul to me), and you can switch off one blade so that you can throw it with one blade lit.

So as you can see...the single saber will still have a choice of 3 stances, and we know the combat moves have also been tweaked. ;)
 g//plaZma
08-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by FK | unnamed

Tru. 100% legit info. I was going to use the saber staff and my darth maul skin to beat him but I guess that doesn't work :(

but really, no one knows if the single saber will be any good 'till it's released.
 EnchainedBlade
08-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
LOL @ unnamed...

On a more serious note, of course each lightsaber selection will have it's inherent advantages and disadvantages.

WARNING: some minor spoilers ahead.

Single Saber - 3 stances (light, medium, heavy) with ability to throw.

Dual Sabers - 1 stance, with a range of faster and spinning attacks, with the ability to throw one saber while holding onto the second to slice-and-dice or deflect incoming fire.

Saberstaff - 1 stance, with the ability to kick in any direction and pull off acrobatic flips and spins (sounds a bit like Maul to me), and you can switch off one blade so that you can throw it with one blade lit.

So as you can see...the single saber will still have a choice of 3 stances, and we know the combat moves have also been tweaked. ;)

Ahh, thanks for that bit of info :) Aslong as Raven balanced the different styles, then I feel much better about it :cool:
 Rockstar
08-20-2003, 1:39 AM
there is rumour (possibly from someone who used beta, i don't know) that the lightstaff is by far the best (not to my liking) and hopefully wont be in the final release

i've said it before. 2 things determine why a player chooses certain things. efficiency and appeal. the 2 new stances are definately going to appeal, to such a high degree that they will be used no matter if they suck or not.
so i think just for the hell of it if they can't balance all saber styles than make the single blade the best. since the other stances are going to probably get more attention and less people will use the single blade anyway.... what im saying is: people will use doulble and staff even if they suck as they are original and appealing, and making the single saber slightly better might mean we see an equal number of people using each rather than: 40% duel, 40% staff and 20% or less on single

i personally don't think it was quite the best idea to give each of the new stances a single blade stance... the only way i see this being balanced is by having the red stance as the best single blade stance, otherwise raven have probably screwed up another balancing system.....
 Obi-Wan X
08-20-2003, 2:00 AM
I don't know really, it just depends on when I play it I guess.

Though i'll admit im rubbing my hands together in anticipation for dual sabers and lightstaff :>.

But really, it depends at what im good at to determine what I use. If im no good with dual sabers or lightstaff then I will stick to what im good at.

This goes triple for multiplayer, I go in that zone to win. I won't try to look cool wielding any certain type of weaponry, i'll wield whatever weapon will knock up the most kills.
 redphaser
08-20-2003, 2:29 AM
WARNING "possible" spoiler.:eek:
I have heard that with two sabers, you won't be able to use any of the regular force powers like push and lightning, but they might just be rumors. It does sound reasonable though.
 Kurgan
08-20-2003, 3:05 AM
I remember in early reviews they said the lightstaff would "limit force" and block behind your back as well as in front.

From this I theorized the following:

The Lightstaff would make a person almost invulnerable to blasters, yet they would lack Pull and Push (and saber throw, replaced by kick) so it would be for close quarters combat and vulnerable to explosives (after all, you couldn't Push missiles away or pull away somebody's repeater).

Does this mean they cannot "block" push/pull? Can they still use Absorb? Who knows...

What I wonder about are the differences between the Dual and Single lightsabers.

There are a lot of ways these could be balanced in MP, but so far all we really know is that the dual lightsabers have only one stance, whereas the single has three (fast, medium, strong... as they were in JK2, with maybe a couple of new moves or animations).
 g//plaZma
08-20-2003, 3:26 AM
It has also been confirmed that there will be a button you press to perma-ban fagt fanboi noobs from the server you are in. (I wish)
 EnchainedBlade
08-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Rockstar

i personally don't think it was quite the best idea to give each of the new stances a single blade stance... the only way i see this being balanced is by having the red stance as the best single blade stance, otherwise raven have probably screwed up another balancing system.....

Well, the single blade will have THREE stances, and the rest will have only ONE stance, so that doesn't sound unbalanced to me.

I just hope Raven tweaked the original three stances from JKII because they weren't exactly efficient.

If they did tweak the saber styles, then single saber may possibly end up being the best and most well rounded form..
 griff38
08-20-2003, 12:15 PM
I will never use the double or staff, single sabre for me. Why? RED STANCE not available for double and staff.

I can't wait to single sabre against dualies & staffers.
 txa1265
08-20-2003, 1:25 PM
My first interest is in mastering the single blade, but I am also interested in the dual saber. I never played the lightstaff mods or cheats in JKII, and don't have much interest ... but I might play with it in a later run-through ... maybe when I go dark path ...

Mike
 [TMBJ]Stormcrow
08-20-2003, 2:00 PM
Both the lightstaff and Dual Sabers have the ability to shut down one saber. The lightstaff, when on 1 saber, turns into a yellow-stanced single saber, without the ability to do a Yellow DFA. The Dual Sabers, when on 1 saber, turns into a blue-stanced single saber, although you can do the blue lunge with this.
 txa1265
08-20-2003, 2:08 PM
Originally posted by [TMBJ]Stormcrow
Both the lightstaff and Dual Sabers have the ability to shut down one saber. The lightstaff, when on 1 saber, turns into a yellow-stanced single saber, without the ability to do a Yellow DFA. The Dual Sabers, when on 1 saber, turns into a blue-stanced single saber, although you can do the blue lunge with this. Can you tell us how you know this? Is there a preview that mentioned it - I missed it if there was?

Mike
 [TMBJ]Stormcrow
08-20-2003, 2:38 PM
yeah, a PC Mag i get had a preview. Don't think its on the net though.
 txa1265
08-20-2003, 2:43 PM
Originally posted by [TMBJ]Stormcrow
yeah, a PC Mag i get had a preview. Don't think its on the net though. Cool. I know we are seeing new info in the PC Zone UK 'review', so I'm assuming new mags coming for Sept versions will have their own new info. Do you know which mag? I thought I heard PC Gamer had some info in it ... but I don't know what ... ?

Mike
 BrainStorm
08-20-2003, 5:59 PM
Three sabre types...

Rock, paper, scissors...

Coincidence? Hmmmmm....
 Prime
08-21-2003, 1:42 AM
Originally posted by BrainStorm
Three sabre types...

Rock, paper, scissors...

Coincidence? Hmmmmm.... Good old rock. Nothing beats that! :D
 Mith[OmNi]
08-21-2003, 4:29 AM
Poor predictable prime, always picks rock. :cool:
 master_thomas
08-22-2003, 1:48 AM
I'm planning on using dual sabers, just for an interesting playing experience. Than replaying with the others. This is for SP, of course. I don't know what I'll use for MP. As soon as I get the game, I'll see which one I like most.
 XXax
08-22-2003, 10:51 AM
Dual lightsabers are yellow stance by default and can be turned into blue stance(as someone said already)
The same goes for the lightstaff(blue and when you shut one off its yellow)

And you can use all force powers at all times. The thing about not being able to use push or pull isn't true. Whatever you choose you can use all force powers.
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 2:05 PM
I updated the FAQ with this information, taken from the official site...

New moves have been implemented for the whole range of saber combat, and the recent update to the official site confirms the stances for each blade type...

Single Saber

Fast

Stab Back
Lunge Attack
Force Pull Impale

Attack Kata
Attack Enemy on Ground
Cartwheel
Stab Forward

Medium

Slash Back
Flip Attack
Force Pull Slash

Attack Kata
Attack Enemy on Ground
Cartwheel
Stab Forward

Strong

Slash Back
Jump Attack - DFA
Force Pull Slash

Attack Kata
Attack Enemy on Ground
Cartwheel
Stab Forward

You will be able to use saber throw as usual.

Dual Sabers

This stance will incorporate faster and coordinated types of attacks as follows...

Slash Back
Flip Forward Attack
Twirl
Saber Barrier
Stab Front And Back
Stab Left And Right

Attack Enemy On Ground
Cartwheel
Stab Forward

You will be able to saber throw one blade, while retaining the other for defence or attack.

Saber Staff

This stance will incorporate acrobatic flips and kicks in any direction, including...

Slash Back
Backflip Attack
Butterfly Attack
Twirl
Kick
Jump Kick
Split Kick
Spin Kick
Flip Kick

Spinning Kata
Attack Enemy on Ground
Stab Forward

While the two blades are lit, you will not be able to use saber throw - but you will be able to extinguish one blade in order to use saber throw.

--------

As you can see, there are common 'names' of moves across all the stances, but the actual animations for moves with the same name are actually different. Each of the Single saber stances seems to offer 3 special moves each, and 4 moves common to them all (but each with it's own variation). In those terms, Single saber has more variety of moves available, and Dual Sabers actually has the least number of moves available (a bit disappointing from my perspective, as I really want to use Dual sabers). Of course the fewer the moves...the quicker it will be to 'master' a particular style - but how these can be utilised to counter the range of other moves in the other styles is still to be determined. ;)
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 2:17 PM
The 'attack enemy on ground' move made me weep ;)

That is EXACTLY what I was hoping would be there as a special ... and when I saw it in the trailer with the lightstaff, I thought I might have to go lightstaff to get that move. Since I can get there with the single saber, I'm all the more happy.

Mike
 Prime
08-22-2003, 2:32 PM
What is the "attack kata". It will save me from having to look it up myself :)
 g//plaZma
08-22-2003, 2:39 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
The 'attack enemy on ground' move made me weep ;)

That is EXACTLY what I was hoping would be there as a special ... and when I saw it in the trailer with the lightstaff, I thought I might have to go lightstaff to get that move. Since I can get there with the single saber, I'm all the more happy.

Mike

Yeah this move will make sure there are no "OMFG YOU ATTACKED MEH ON TEH GROUND" noobs in JA. (hopefully)
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 2:43 PM
Originally posted by Prime
What is the "attack kata". It will save me from having to look it up myself :) A 'kata' is a Japanese karate term referring to a form or series of moves associated with a specific style.

I know that because my older son (not quite 7) is going (tomorrow morning, in fact) for his Brown Belt in Uechi Ryu karate ... and he needs to know answers to questions like that as well as mastery of several katas.

Mike

Oh, and from M-W:

Main Entry: ka·ta
Pronunciation: 'kд-(")tд
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural kata or katas
Etymology: Japanese, literally, model, pattern
Date: 1945
: a set combination of positions and movements (as in karate) performed as an exercise
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 2:43 PM
Originally posted by Prime
What is the "attack kata". It will save me from having to look it up myself :)

You know in the movies when you see someone with a sword twirling it around, and behind their back to switch hands, and then to the front again...? It looks all fancy and important, but actually does nothing? *tries to think of examples*...ah...like Conan in Conan The Destroyer, or pretty much any martial arts movie with swords... Well, it looks sorta like that. But it is better to watch the little mini-movies on the official site to get a better idea... ;)
 Kurgan
08-23-2003, 12:57 AM
The kata made me think of those crappy combos from "Jedi Power Battles."

Ie: Push button, character flails around for a bit.

Oh well, it might just be a good way to confuse your enemy, or cut a helpless Stormtrooper to bits in a fancy way. ; )

And you can use all force powers at all times. The thing about not being able to use push or pull isn't true. Whatever you choose you can use all force powers.

Where did you hear this? If true, this is some of the best news on the sabers I've heard in awhile! I always thought the notion of limiting your Force when using the Saberstaff made no sense.

I'd love to believe that is the case. Thanks for letting me know... and being able to throw the Lightstaff with one blade extinguished is much better than not being able to ever throw again (though I still don't see why it couldn't be thrown with both blades on, just use a little imagination).
 StormHammer
08-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Thanks for letting me know... and being able to throw the Lightstaff with one blade extinguished is much better than not being able to ever throw again (though I still don't see why it could be thrown with both blades on, just use a little imagination).

I don't see why either. I still think they could throw it with a vertical spin, like a 'propeller of death', to mow a path through your enemies. That would simply look cool, in my view. :)
 Jimpopop
08-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Could the duel blades connect to make a lightsaber staff just like the gold guy in the beginning of the trailer?
 Reclaimer
08-23-2003, 11:36 AM
I think they we're going to do that but not any more.
 Pedro The Hutt
08-23-2003, 1:04 PM
I don't think it was ever an idea really, but no, it won't be in the game. And well, personally I'm at the best going to put one Force star/point in Saber throw, as Obi-Wan has stated "This weapon is your life!" so I'm not going to recklessly throw it and risk losing it.
 Kurgan
08-24-2003, 3:44 AM
But, will you be able to toss a second saber to your single saber using friend? ; )

I meant to say above (though I still don't see why it couldn't be thrown with both blades on, just use a little imagination).

But Stormhammer understood what I was trying to say. Danged typos...

So I guess they "balanced" the three saber types simply by applying different sets of moves to them, Single Saber having the most moves...

I wonder how we will get to use them in MP? Will it be a choice like picking a player model or skin... or will we have to sacrifice extra force points to get the other two types? Or will the other two types by limited to certain classes (though most of those classes don't sound like they'd be using dual sabers or saberstaff.... unless the saber turns out to be a standard weapon for all classes... doubtful, and only the Jedi can choose dual/double?).

Hmmm....
 Thazac
08-24-2003, 10:14 AM
If the saber choices are poorly balanced I'm gonna scream.

Anyway I've always felt dual saber will 0wn everything else. Not because of poor balance, but just the incredible defensive potential. What if you could perform an attack with one saber and block the enemy counterattack with the other? This will most likely not happen, but I like the idea :Dґ)
 Cnt. Dooku
08-24-2003, 4:06 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
I wonder how we will get to use them in MP? Will it be a choice like picking a player model or skin... or will we have to sacrifice extra force points to get the other two types? Or will the other two types by limited to certain classes (though most of those classes don't sound like they'd be using dual sabers or saberstaff.... unless the saber turns out to be a standard weapon for all classes... doubtful, and only the Jedi can choose dual/double?).
Since it looks like a single saber has three stances again, and dual and staff have two, then for regular MP (ie, not Siege) I'd assume you'd pick your lightsaber for multiplayer similarly, if not the same as you do for a SP game: All hilts and options open to you, no penalty for which you happen to go with. As for Siege, I think it will be set weapons. Jedi will get a lightsaber and Force powers, all other classes will get blasters and certain items (jetpack, sentry gun, cloaking device, etc.). That's the way I see it going.

And I agree, I hope the sabers are well balanced for MP eventually. I'm not getting my hopes up and expecting them to be perfectly balanced from the outset, but hopefully, if there is a problem a patch will be ready ASAP to correct any issue.
 Endar
08-24-2003, 8:26 PM
Nice pic Dooku

Im gonna use all saber styles in SP anyway :p An in multi, what Im best at. Simple.

I just hope for a black saber blade & a hood...Mmmmm.
 boinga1
08-24-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Thazac
If the saber choices are poorly balanced I'm gonna scream.

Anyway I've always felt dual saber will 0wn everything else. Not because of poor balance, but just the incredible defensive potential. What if you could perform an attack with one saber and block the enemy counterattack with the other? This will most likely not happen, but I like the idea :Dґ)

Defense? Not really. Try blocking a Red blow one-handed. You may well get a broken wrist.

I think a Doublesaber should be very good for defense, but it doesn't sound as though that's how it'll work. :(
 Dr_night
08-25-2003, 3:04 AM
here is my opinion, no force powers will be blocked no matter which style you choose, one handed has three stances, and can be thrown a great distance.
duel blade saber, 1 stance you will be able to block better but since you have 2 blades to wield it will be a little slower than using 1 saber.
2 one handed sabers, one stance, you will be able to block just about anything and attack fast, but the strength of the blows will be wearker.
and i think that all stances should get kick
 Pheen-e-Kass
08-25-2003, 7:17 AM
I got a question guys ......
I noticed in the pictures and in the official site's move guide that during the animation sequences the lightsaber blade moves separately than the hilt.....
I v seen screenshots where the hilt is in one place and the blade somewhere else like it has a mind of it's own.....
Has anyone else seen this?
I think that if it's a bug they better have it fixed when I get the game but if it's in the game's coding then it's incredibly awful...
...will b a huge turn off.....:(
 Emon
08-25-2003, 7:19 AM
Uh, what? Where is this?
 Pheen-e-Kass
08-25-2003, 7:26 AM
I got a really slow connection so when I was previewing the moves in the game's official site .....the movies loaded really slow.....so I could catch each frame...and I clearly saw the blade move before the hilt had moved....especially in that backflip move...
And I also saw screenshots with those guys fighting the twil'lek where the blade was clearly not Fixed on the hilt rather a bit to the left or right like it was temporarily detached :S
I think they have written the code so the balde moves separately from the hilt and if so it soo sucks :(
 Kurgan
08-25-2003, 8:44 AM
Ha, I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Actually, I've seen it in JK2 as well (very rare, but occasionally it happens, and yes, it looks pretty goofy).

Probably won't be fixed, it's just one of those things that reminds you you're still playing a game, that's not a perfect simulation of reality, and the limits of technology... ; )
 [My Name Here]
08-25-2003, 9:00 AM
In Jedi Outcst today I loaded up my save file and the hilt was in the right place, but my blade was below my character's arms. That was weird.
 Pedro The Hutt
08-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Did you happen to save with your saber ignited and installed a mod that did something to either sabed blade or hilt?
And well, it's one of those little bugs, good thing it doesn't show when in full motion. I've had it happen in Jedi Outcast, some move looked perfectly good in game looked alot less awesome in the screenshot I took from it due to mentioned bugs appearing. Sometimes there also is a small gap between the saber and it's trail, but again that only is clearly visible in screenshots. But meh, I'm not going to let such little bugs ruin my fun XD
 [My Name Here]
08-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt
Did you happen to save with your saber ignited and installed a mod that did something to either sabed blade or hilt?
Nope all that was changed was the model.
 Pedro The Hutt
08-25-2003, 11:03 PM
That could mess it up too, usually tossing the saber once fixes it.
 Obi-Wan X
08-25-2003, 11:32 PM
Various frames were deleted from the scene to make it 56k friendly.

Im quite sure we won't see much of that in JA.
 Prime
08-26-2003, 1:57 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Wan X
Im quite sure we won't see much of that in JA. Considering that JA is supposed to focus about 70% on lightsaber combat, I sure hope that isn't a problem! :D
Page: 1 of 2