Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

heavy lightsabers?

Page: 1 of 1
 Rockstar
07-30-2003, 8:35 AM
greetings again mates

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/jediacademy/preview_6072379.html)

in this link it says that you can custom your saber's weight. and light sabers are quick and weaker, while heavy are slower and stronger.

tell me what are your thoughts on this and what weight can you 'predict' seeing yourself using (i said predict so theres no need for saying "you can't tell what your going to use without playing" :p) hehehe

do you guys like this new weighted system? i wonder if they'll let you use seperate weights for duel sabers? hmm

cyas!
 txa1265
07-30-2003, 9:33 AM
Originally posted by Rockstar
greetings again mates

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/jediacademy/preview_6072379.html)

in this link it says that you can custom your saber's weight. and light sabers are quick and weaker, while heavy are slower and stronger.

tell me what are your thoughts on this and what weight can you 'predict' seeing yourself using (i said predict so theres no need for saying "you can't tell what your going to use without playing" :p) hehehe

do you guys like this new weighted system? i wonder if they'll let you use seperate weights for duel sabers? hmm

cyas!

Remember - these guys also say Force Range in the article. I think they are talking Light and Heavy, as in the stances we already know, and are just clueless ...

Mike
 KMan
07-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Or perhaps the lightsaber weight determines the stance your player will use.
 Ackehallgren
07-30-2003, 11:20 AM
it would be fun if ur player like... :D fell to the ground as soon as he/she fell to the ground thanks to the weight of the lightsaber :)

nah but i too think they meant stances...
 Tarus
07-30-2003, 11:45 AM
I can only hope they got rid of heavy stance and instead threw it into another 'saber' type. Meaning if you choose heavy your stuck with heavy.

In Jedi Outcast heavy stance seemed more like a baseball bat. Swing it till you got lucky. The fact that you coudl turn and move while swinging meant that the 'weakness' it supposedly had existed very rarely. Even after someone pulled the death from above attack with heavy...others rarely had time to attack back. (Though it could have been due to poor multiplay code. In that if I ran at the persons back their saber sticking out in the front could kill me...somehow)

At any rate, now those who want to swing bats can...but they don't get the fine movements and other benefits of speed that a 'normal' jedi would get.
 Ackehallgren
07-30-2003, 11:49 AM
if i have two lightsabs... can i turn one backwards (Adi Gallia style)?
 Tarus
07-30-2003, 11:51 AM
did that adi guy use swords? Only time ive seen the "Backward" style was with a dagger in the offhand.
 Agen
07-30-2003, 12:36 PM
The guy in the article probably means stance or hilt wight :p
I don't think light can weigh you down alot :p
 Prime
07-30-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Tarus
I can only hope they got rid of heavy stance and instead threw it into another 'saber' type. They didn't.
 Ackehallgren
07-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Tarus
did that adi guy use swords? Only time ive seen the "Backward" style was with a dagger in the offhand.

"guy"?

She had a red lightsaber, and u could be her in the game "Jedi Power Battles"...
 Kurgan
07-30-2003, 1:25 PM
Probably a misunderstanding or poor choice of words, based on the single/dual/doublebladed lightsabers choice and the strong (often called "heavy" by fans)/medium/fast stances/styles choice we already know about, as somebody else said above.

"guy"?

She had a red lightsaber, and u could be her in the game "Jedi Power Battles"...

Probably confusing Ki Adi[/]b Mundi (the guy with the conehead and white beard) and [b]Adi (sp?) Gallia (black woman who holds here saber "upside down" while ignited in Jedi Power Battles).
 txa1265
07-30-2003, 1:45 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Probably confusing Ki Adi[/]b Mundi (the guy with the conehead and white beard) and [b]Adi (sp?) Gallia (black woman who holds here saber "upside down" while ignited in Jedi Power Battles).

Here are links:

Ki Adi Mundi (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/kiadimundi/index.html)
Adi Gallia (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/adigallia/index.html)

I'm glad they aren't mucking around too much with the existing stances - tweaking and expanding rather than doing away with them. I also like the single style each for the Dual sabers and staff - with lots of special moves for all.

Mike
 Rockstar
07-31-2003, 8:07 AM
yeah i was kinda thinking that they were talking about lightsaber stances, however i hope you don't perminantly get stuck with a certain stance. unless what it does it means that the weight you choose means you get as speed/power bonus to the relative stance (eg a lightsaber gives you a bonus with blue)

however that i don't think that will be the case and am sorta glad coz it will prob result in imbalance and more bitching

one solution to people that just stupidly charge back and fowarth with the red stance (which i think is stupid as it makes lightsaber fights so ....silly and unrealistic) would be to make the fowards pedal faster than the backpeddal and slighly faster than the strafes. or possibly limit this effect to when a player not making any attacks or blocks with the lightsaber. i think it'd be great to atleast see if it works as it would also prevent lightning spamming and duels from being such a hit and run chasey game (in this case a poke or zap chasey game). it'd make the game more realistic as saber fights would force players to stay closer together for longer periods of time. its also realistic that one could move fastest in a straight line, than they can on an angle or backward.

just a thought which in theory could solve alot of 'bitched about game issues' and possibly bring new life to the game? or not, as i said just a thought :)
 txa1265
07-31-2003, 9:32 AM
Originally posted by Rockstar
one solution While your idea was a decent thought, I don't want to address it directly. Rather I was thinking of something while I was doing some stuff at work.

I was helping someone analyze a complex experiment. The straight analysis was difficult enough, but mid-stream they had changed one of the factors to 'get things closer to target'. They had the thought in the right place, but had looked only at main effects - had they looked at the interactions they would have known that their adjustment would have caused changes elsewhere that actually put them further away from where they wanted to be.

My point - many of our ideas are adjustments to 'main effects', things we can directly look at and see how they might be changed to improve balance/play. HOWEVER, we can't easily see the interactions between these factors at the first, second and even third order ... and those are the things that can really mess up balance in particular.

Mike
 Rockstar
08-01-2003, 7:45 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
My point - many of our ideas are adjustments to 'main effects', things we can directly look at and see how they might be changed to improve balance/play. HOWEVER, we can't easily see the interactions between these factors at the first, second and even third order ... and those are the things that can really mess up balance in particular.

Mike

yes, you are correct there. many ideas are thought through without endelving in the cons. tho this idea when tweaked enough could possibly create cool saber fights that have a feel of intensity that we miss at current. i guess i really just don't like the thought of luke fighting vader just runing up to him, poking him, then running away laughing like a little girl "teeheehee", then running back for another poke repeating the process. lol :p

all im saying is that it would be cool to have close quarters, ground based saber fighting that has no silly moves that can immediately score through ones guard (that is, using a skillfully timed strike, series of strikes, or counter blow.... rather than using the lunge and taking away hitpoints straight away :rolleyes: :o )

im not bitching about the current system. its just this would be very exciting fighting and most definately more tense and more loyal to the movies.
 Ackehallgren
08-01-2003, 8:09 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Probably a misunderstanding or poor choice of words, based on the single/dual/doublebladed lightsabers choice and the strong (often called "heavy" by fans)/medium/fast stances/styles choice we already know about, as somebody else said above.

Ok, sorry dude if i was rude or anything...
My bad!
 txa1265
08-01-2003, 9:27 AM
Originally posted by Ackehallgren
Ok, sorry dude if i was rude or anything...
My bad! Actually - you were correct in what you said, Kurgan was just clarifying.

Nice to see open politeness in these forums... for a change :)

Mike
 Ackehallgren
08-01-2003, 12:21 PM
Oh! I was right... Man, its my swedish messing everything up ;)
 The Truthful Liar
08-01-2003, 1:41 PM
Another Swede on the forums. Good to know, there's more and more coming all the time. :-)
 txa1265
08-01-2003, 2:04 PM
Originally posted by The Truthful Liar
Another Swede on the forums. Good to know, there's more and more coming all the time. :-)

There was an article on one of those research sites about the fact that on a per capita basis countries like Sweden and Norway were the highest gameplayers in the world. Not numbers, of course, just percentages.

Mike (not from Sweden, but of some Swedish descent ... maybe that's why I like games so much ;) )
 Thazac
08-02-2003, 5:35 PM
To be honest I felt the stance system in JO was ridiculous. How can a slow wide lightsaber swing do more damage than a fast one? If a Jedi fought like that in a movie he'd be shot/cut to pieces before he could say "Obi-Wanna-whack-your-arms-off" considering how lightsabers work against people (cut them in half with no effort at all). I understand this was implented to give options, but the way they did it felt wrong for some reason (IMHO at least).

:launcher: :jarjar: :snipe1: (Just watching the smilies)
 Emon
08-02-2003, 6:13 PM
The red stance was illogical, although the blue worked because it was a quick snap of the rest as opposed to using arms. But really, it doesn't matter that much.

And, I think for JA, you do that inverted saber in some moves, it's automatic.
 txa1265
08-03-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Emon
The red stance was illogical, The only thing that didn't make sense to me was the slow delivery ... but that seems to make sense for balance reasons.

Red is like Vader - slow but very strong. Blue is like ObiWan in Ep1 - extremely fast, but only giving minor hits, like Pbi himself got from Dooku. Red will break defences, Blue tries to get in between defences.

I honestly (from a [SP] perspective) loved the stances ... though I never used Yellow again after I got blue ...

Mike
 Rockstar
08-03-2003, 1:17 AM
i thought the swing of red should have been faster but i did like the concept

while the 2 stances were single strikes, the red was a huge strike that for all intents and purposes SHOULD have been for the sole purpose of breaking someone's guard. i thought it dumb how it could be used so efficiently as a primary stance.... but i think it is cool to have a "guard breaker" :)
 Thazac
08-03-2003, 12:24 PM
At first I think they intended it to be like this:
Light stance:
Damage: Low
Range: Low
Defence: High
Speed: High

Mediuam is medium straight over and heavy
Damage: High
Range: High
Defence: Low
Speed: Low

After the patches it turned to

Light: Low damage, low range, low defence, high speed
heavy: high damage, high range, high defence and low speed

which effectively made any other stance but heavy quite useless. Believe me, I've tried to go online and beat someone with heavy up with both medium and light but it's almost impossible unless you opponent is n00by and oyu can get attacks in when he's in the middle of a strike.
Page: 1 of 1