Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Racism..

Page: 1 of 1
 Jorus Ardel
05-16-2003, 4:29 PM
Do you think that Caucasian people are really being treated fairly as a comparison to Blacks? Black people call caucasian people "Crackers" and "White trash" nearly every day. But when the white person says something back to them, the black person gets affended. I am anything but racist, but I honestly do not agree with this at all. How is calling a black person the "N" word any different from them calling white people "Crackers"? I know it goes back in our history, but don't you think it's time to forgive and forget? Please let me know what your feelings on this are.
 Dagobahn Eagle
05-16-2003, 7:47 PM
Now you mean in the USA, not globally, right? If you travel to an African country where dark-skinned people are a majority, I'm sure the dark-skinned people will be just as racist and stereotyping.

I personally hate the stereotype that "whites are racists and all blacks are victims, so if whites get a bit of racism it's okay, because then they'll know what it feels like".

Black people call caucasian people "Crackers" and "White trash" nearly every day. But when the white person says something back to them, the black person gets affended.
You are right, it's more accepted to say something to the majority than to the minority. It's racist, but reality.

I know it goes back in our history, but don't you think it's time to forgive and forget?
My biggest issue with Americans being racist towards me in the States on the basis of segregation is that I'm not American. Neither I, my parents, nor my grandparents ever took part in official segregation. In fact, very few, if any, European nations did. How did I get into this picture?

Let me say this: Discriminating or disliking today's people for what the Segregationsits did is highly racist.

I'd write more, but I don't feel up to it.
 Breton
05-16-2003, 9:09 PM
No person, black white or green or whatever, has any right to judge and discriminate others because of their race and skin colour.

I wish everyone could live by that sentence. Believing there is no racism done by blacks is pretty stupid in itself. But of course, there are many white racists as well.

Thinking all white Americans are racists because of their history is like thinking all Australians are criminals and outlaws.
 __CKY__
05-18-2003, 2:33 AM
I also think its bull**** If someone calls my a crack I sure as hell am going to call them a ****** and if they wanna bitch about it hey I don't give a flying ****. I also think its stupid how the majority of young black people say they can say this stuff becauise THEY suffered for 30 eyars HAHA THEY DIDN'T SUFFER **** their ancestors did If they wanna be equal lets take em off Welfare and make em equal see how they like it.
 munik
05-18-2003, 5:30 AM
If you don't like people making racial slurs towards you then do something about it. It's not ok, or accepted, for anyone to do that to anyone.

I don't understand how it is accepted that black people inuslt white people like that. Where do you live? Is it always like that? I've seen what you described before, but it's not like that's the way it is, with everyone being cool with the insult. I see it jokingly, yes, but if you are ever in a multi-racial environment you will hear alot of racial slurs. In my experience most are harmless jokes, between people who are not offended by it, but occasionly they are used as hurtful words. But almost always behind someones back, because using racial slurs as an insult isn't tolerated.
 Dagobahn Eagle
05-18-2003, 11:20 PM
I also think its bull**** If someone calls my a crack I sure as hell am going to call them a ****** and if they wanna bitch about it hey I don't give a flying ****. I also think its stupid how the majority of young black people say they can say this stuff becauise THEY suffered for 30 eyars HAHA THEY DIDN'T SUFFER **** their ancestors did If they wanna be equal lets take em off Welfare and make em equal see how they like it.
The only thing you accomplish by getting down on their level like that is that they hate pink people even more.

I'll put it like this: It's not that "some 'whites' are racists, or that "some 'blacks'" are racists". Some humans are racists. No matter your colour, you may perfectly well be a racist.
 Jorus Ardel
05-19-2003, 4:23 PM
Perhaps I should clarify, do you really think it is fair when black people can make racial slurs as you put them, and as soon as a white person says something back that is equally racial, they get in trouble. I think I have given you all the wrong impression, I am against anyone who uses racial coments on another person. But I really do not see how blacks can discriminate whites and get away with it, when as soon as a white person says anything racial to them, they get suspension.
 munik
05-19-2003, 4:39 PM
Where does this happen?

I would answer your question, whether I thought it was fair or not, if this situation ever happened in real life.

Give an example, or the situation you witnessed that brought on this question. Unless it is an entirely hypothetical question.
 Jah Warrior
05-19-2003, 7:28 PM
The more people make a distinction between black, white Yellow or brown, the longer racism will be a problem.

To quote Maya Angelou:-

"People are far more alike than un-alike!"

Ultimately if someone has a problem with me because i have a better tan than them, then so be it, they are just limitting the amount of friends they will have.

Also, there's this:-
how many people assume that a black guy or group of black guys are up to no good when you see them? When you are a walking the street can you help yourself from looking at us suspiciously? Its sad that even in the 21st century people still have indoctrinated fear of peoples and cultures that are not their own.

There are good and bad of all cultures, societies & races.

Final point...

Racism although bad is far from my worst worry in the world, the gulf between the "haves and the have nots," is far more worrying in terms of social implications.
 Dagobahn Eagle
05-20-2003, 2:35 AM
The more people make a distinction between black, white Yellow or brown, the longer racism will be a problem.
I thought it wasn't right to call certain people "yellow"?

Ultimately if someone has a problem with me because i have a better tan than them, then so be it, they are just limitting the amount of friends they will have.
LOL!:D

how many people assume that a black guy or group of black guys are up to no good when you see them? When you are a walking the street can you help yourself from looking at us suspiciously? Its sad that even in the 21st century people still have indoctrinated fear of peoples and cultures that are not their own.
Agreed.

Personally, I think all these words to describe sexual orientation, race, etc. only serve to put us apart. You can like girls when you're a girl yourself -do you need to be recognized as a minority group for that reason?

Words to describe social classes, races, fetishes, and orientations are all stupid ideas, IMO.
 Echuu Shen-Jon
05-24-2003, 8:52 AM
Originally posted by Breton
No person, black white or green or whatever, has any right to judge and discriminate others because of their race and skin colour.:wstupid:
I'm with Breton. That's some very clever words he's typed! I don't think either, but in my class, there are many, who don't like black people! Is it because they don't know much about 'em? They are as much huams as I am, and there should not be any doubt here.

Is the point really, that we only hear the bad things about them, and then they don't stand a chance, i.e. getting a job, if a white also want's it, and then they have to steal, and then...

The problem is also, that they don't fully understand the white culture?

Here, in Denmark, we need doctors. Many black people is unemployed doctors, and they only need a little extra education! But does the goverment hire them? No!

Is it an evil curcuit, spinning downwards? Yes, I think so!
 Kain
05-24-2003, 3:16 PM
where I live, I do worry when I see a group of black people. Why? Because I've been jumped for no reason so many f'ing times, I lost count when it hit the double digits. Will I take a longer route if it means I don't have to pass by a 'hotspot' of blacks, damn straight. Last time I didn't i got hit with a 40oz bottle in the back of the head. Am I racist? **** no, some of my best friends are black.
Do I make racist comments? Damn right. I went up to my school from my sister's house to get my gf*I slept in REAL late that day*, and its a 2 block walk. Big deal, right? NO! We were walking down the street and a few black guys said whattap and I said it back, and before I knew it, they were following us, saying ****. Now I know how to avoid being jumped for the most part*some people are just idiots and do it for no reason*, and so I didn't look back and I didn't run. I just walked and talked, kept my composiour(sp?). My stomach was doing flips. I didn't wanna goto my senior prom all beat to ****. So we get to my sister's house, as I open the door one of em say something. So what do I do? They want a fight, cool. But no 3 on 1. So I got my bro-in-law and our friend Jar-head, and when we went out there to throw down, they ran like sculded dogs and regrouped with like 7 more people. So we obviously went back inside and started saying N***er this and n***er that.
See, people are ignorant. and thats what n***er really means. I know white n***ers, black n***ers, and alotta mexican ones too.
So is it fair for them to do the crap they do because of what their ancesters went through? Hell no. I can understand a bit of resentment, but thats full on ignorant-hatred.
 Dagobahn Eagle
05-25-2003, 2:42 AM
Sounds more like a gang environment. Generally, you should stay away from groups of light-skinned people in your neighbourhood, too, as they also could be gangs. I'm serious.

Denmark.. phew.
I can definetly relate. I remember this 2-page newspaper article about this girl who filed two identical resumes to a shoe stores: One with a Norwegian-sounding name and one with a foreign-sounding name. The one with the Norwegian name got accepted, the one with the foreign name got rejected.

Personally, I think the only thing we need is integration and diversity. If a 7-year old spends time only with those of his or her own colour, he or she's got issues, IMO. If teachers could assign students of different colours and different backgrounds into the same groups during projects and PE/sports events at elementary schools, there'd be a lot less racism. Just from that.
 Jah Warrior
05-25-2003, 3:53 AM
its all in the education.

Its pretty clear that we are all far more alike than unalike and to propse that any race or creed is better than another is plain stupid. If a person really believes that whites are better than blacks and vice versa then it just goes to show how stupid the person really is.

One thing in the UK that is quite clear is that certain groups of immigrants will populate one area of a town etc and hence their kids all end up going to the same school thus contributing to institutional segregation.

For example in my hometown there is an area called Queens' Park, it is predominantly inhabited by asian people and as such they are in the catchment area for Biddenham school... Biddenham school has 80% asians 15% white & 4% black and the remaining 1% from other races. on the other hand, the school on the other side of town has 85% white 10% Black and the rest made up from asians etc. Can you see whats happening here? the youths of different races do not even grow up together, how can it be possible to learn each others ways if we dont even interact with one another?

education and understanding is the key!!!
 Zodiac
05-25-2003, 10:44 PM
Some day there will be no more racism.

That will happen when we get invaded by hostile aliens.
We will then unite and hate and discriminate green people!
 Darth Groovy
05-26-2003, 10:14 PM
Well they say you are what you eat, and I do eat alot of crackers...

No but seriously, I have seen racism from all ends and all walks of life. I was a victim to it myself. I worked in this store in high school for three plus years. Alot of people came and went, but I always stuck it out. A new manager came in, and fired all of the older white people and replaced them all with younger black people. He threatened to fire me, saying that I did not work fast enough which was rich, considering all the people he hired did not last to long, or move to quick. The most he could do to me was cut my hours down to about four a week. After he left, that all changed, and I am pretty sure that was racism. During his term as our store manager, he never hired anyone that was not african american. This is pretty mild compared to what others have suffered, but I see it as racism never the less.
 SkinWalker
05-26-2003, 10:30 PM
That could also have been rankism, which is little discussed but often confused with racism. In fact, rankism and racism are often together....

But rankism is the result of someone exercising unfair power/authority over subordinates simply because he or she can. The elitist mentality refuses to acknowledge the superiority of subordinates in any aspect over the leader, i.e. talents, skills, proficiencies, ideas, etc.

Rankism also gets confused very often with sexism or sexual harassment...

When I say "confused," I mean that the line between rankism and these ideas gets muddled... even shared.

It's important to consider rankism as a problem in addition to racism and sexism, because the way you deal with it is necessarily different. In racism, for instance, you're trying to deal with someone's hatred or discontent with another "race." In rankism, it's the other person's ego and, some might argue, that person's discontent with his/herself.
 Homuncul
05-27-2003, 9:06 AM
Its pretty clear that we are all far more alike than unalike and to propse that any race or creed is better than another is plain stupid. If a person really believes that whites are better than blacks and vice versa then it just goes to show how stupid the person really is.

Racism is in our blood I sometimes think that more racist are those who speak racism's bad than those who say opposite or say nothing.

By starting assuming racism we become racists ourselves. Because for example I feel when talking about blacks and whites I distinct them . Can't do anything about it just comes up unintensiously . So I'm a racist while I have a black friend and nothing about him makes me uncomfort, we joke about his skin without any offense involved. He for his part finds some funny rediculus things bout whites. I think it's a normal talk and relationship. So the question now, like C'Jais loves to say, is where to draw a line? Where is tolerable (maybe favourable) racism and where's untolerable (the one we must fight with)?

I like asian girls very much, they're lovely. Yet I distinct them among whites. So I'm racist. So I guess this problem is not that black and white.
 Zodiac
05-27-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Homuncul
By starting assuming racism we become racists ourselves. Because for example I feel when talking about blacks and whites I distinct them . Can't do anything about it just comes up unintensiously .....
I like asian girls very much, they're lovely. Yet I distinct them among whites. So I'm racist.
That is not racism. Distinction between someone who's Asian and someone who's not Asian is not racism. It becomes racism when you start discriminating or prejudicing them because they are asian/black/whatever. Just distincting them does not make it racism, but if you distinct them by thinking one's better than the other, then it is.
 Jah Warrior
05-27-2003, 11:26 AM
Zodiac is right really, its one thing to be aware of a persons race, but its another thing to act differently to somebody because they are of a different race.

sooner or later everyone will be the same colour as the world becomes a smaller place (ie travel is far easier) fair enough it will take a thousands and thousands of years, but its gonna happen. (if we dont nuke the entire species out of existence first)
 Homuncul
05-27-2003, 11:28 AM
That is not racism. Distinction between someone who's Asian and someone who's not Asian is not racism. It becomes racism when you start discriminating or prejudicing them because they are asian/black/whatever. Just distincting them does not make it racism, but if you distinct them by thinking one's better than the other, then it is.

I judge them unconsciously by the same reasons you mentioned. I see that they differ from me. In a way my conscious asks itself this question whether I'm better than them. And I really think that's what most people do. Even those who try to protect whites, blacks, asians or whatever from racism put themselves again unconsciously higher than those they try to protect prejudicing them (not openly). So I stand on toleratation of some healthy "destinction".
 Homuncul
05-27-2003, 11:35 AM
sooner or later everyone will be the same colour as the world becomes a smaller place (ie travel is far easier) fair enough it will take a thousands and thousands of years, but its gonna happen. (if we dont nuke the entire species out of existence first)

There will always be mutants whom we would judge by their difference from us. So I guess it's a universal law for humans which they must learn to counter. It's all really related and developed by our instincts of survival, when one tribe of men met with the other they never met the most common reaction was to protect their women and children and they attacked with no reason. These misunderstandings are in our blood
 Zodiac
05-27-2003, 4:51 PM
There will always be mutants whom we would judge by their difference from us
Mutants? With special powers and all? that'd be pretty cool actually. Can't wait for that to happen. :)
 Wudan
05-27-2003, 5:50 PM
Honestly, I take heat from my wife (who isn't white) all the time about this subject.

Fact is, I hate most people, equally. It's the system of economics and the distribution of education that bothers me. Why do we have racist people in the first place? By encouraging it, reinforcing it and escalating it.

Sure, it seems like we are getting better, and that might be true, but it's hard to beleive from where I am.

I think if everyone worked hard to develope their brains so they had something intelligent to say, we might have a better chance of breaking these habits.

Oh, and I agree with that one guy - I prefer Asian Women 10 to 1 over white women.
 Solbe M'ko
06-08-2003, 2:38 AM
Where I live we have several gangs that are exclusively amerindian. I always see on the news some native guy saying that the cops pulled him over for being native, the truth is, he was breaking the law. If I see a native guy with a scarred up face and bruised knuckles standing outside the bar, I'm just as scared to get jumped as when I see a white guy with scars and bruises or an asian guy with scars and bruises. There are bad apples in every social group, being in a minority doesn't excuse hurtful behavior.

Another point I have to make: A white person is not racist because he dislikes chocolate ice cream. A woman is not racist because she finds hairy-backed Italians unnatractive (not to say that all italians have hairly backs, blah, blah, blah). I am not a racist because I don't give my change to homeless natives. People cannot make accusations of racism based on trivial crap like that!

I think that it's racist to treat people differently based on their race (notice i didn't say "badly"). If you favor/discriminate against a certain group of people based on race, you are a racist. People who give breaks to black people (Seinfeld) are racist because they are clearly drawing the distinction between the minority and the rest of us homo sapiens.
 El Sitherino
06-09-2003, 1:20 PM
my thoughts are that if you want to be treated equally you gotta take insults just like i do. if you want to be treated equally you can't claim racism just because i call you an *******. or you can't claim racism if i hit you when you provoked me.i hate the person no the belief.
 El Sitherino
06-09-2003, 1:22 PM
Originally posted by wudan

Oh, and I agree with that one guy - I prefer Asian Women 10 to 1 over white women. do you mean me ;)
 shukrallah
06-12-2003, 1:06 AM
ok, if this has been mentioned, then sorry, cause im in a hurry, and skipped half of the posts, sorry....

well, 1 thing ive noticed is black people (at least around my high school) call say stuff like whats up "N" and they frequently call themselves that, but if i called them that, even jokingly, like they do themselves, all of a sudden, ive committed a terrible crime. not to mention i aggree with MydnightPsion, because theve caused trouble 4 me too. Some are cool, but around my area, they try to start a fight or something. Im not racist, and i can sort of c why they get angry, because there are a lot of racists out there, kkk ist around in my area, ive never seen em (prolly cause im in here on my PC all day....) but ive heard about them.... (then again, that doesnt mean its true but...) But i hang with some black people, they can be really cool.
 Solbe M'ko
06-13-2003, 1:58 AM
Hrmm... I always knew the KKK was still around, but I guess I never really thoght about it. How in the HELL can a terrible, criminal organization like that be allowed to exist? I mean, you Americans have wars to fight and everthing, but problems like those are the ones that need real, immediate attention. I don't think that the "solution" to racism can be found by brainwashing school children, though. It really needs to start at home, where responsible parents can stop racist influences before they cause problems. I have a cousin who's about 8 years old, who lives in rural Saskatchewan. He came to visit in the city, and saw a black person. He simply couldn't believe it. I guess that's understandable, but you'd think that a kid would know better than to stare at this guy because of his skin color. Parents shouldn't have to tell their kids not to discriminate against minorities, nor should they tell kids to be nice to children of color. As soon as that distinction is made, the kid will start looking at people differently.
 El Sitherino
06-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle
Words to describe social classes, races, fetishes, and orientations are all stupid ideas, IMO. now i feel bad.:( (can no longer say i love asian women, because of this.):(
it just helps me let ya'll know what kind of women i like:(
 El Sitherino
06-14-2003, 12:43 PM
I was almost killed because I'm white and I was making out with my mexican girlfriend (we are broken up now ) the guy just came up and said hey whitey stick to your own or i'll blow you out. and he pulled out a gun. my gf then started yelling in spanish and that was when her brother drove by (me and him are friends) and he yelled at them in spanish and then they immediately started appologizing.
 ET Warrior
06-15-2003, 4:50 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
I was almost killed because I'm white and I was making out with my mexican girlfriend (we are broken up now ) the guy just came up and said hey whitey stick to your own or i'll blow you out. and he pulled out a gun. my gf then started yelling in spanish and that was when her brother drove by (me and him are friends) and he yelled at them in spanish and then they immediately started appologizing.

That's so retarded. I hate people who hate inter-racial couples..WE'RE ALL HUMANS. Rrrrrrrrr, intolerance makes me angry.
 Dagobahn Eagle
07-15-2003, 9:18 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
now i feel bad.:( (can no longer say i love asian women, because of this.):(
it just helps me let ya'll know what kind of women i like:(
Of course you can:), I did not mean it that way.

You can still say you like Asian women, I am just saying that we are all the same race, thus, racial terms are obselete.

HOWEVER, I in no way call people who use the term "Asian", for example, stupid. I meant that it was wrong to call them different races.

"it just helps me let ya'll know what kind of women i like"
If you think Asian girls are cute, by all means say so. Sorry.
 Jubatus
07-16-2003, 2:35 PM
A few comments on the matter.

An unfortunate tendency in some parts of the world, racism is a self-fulfilling prophesy, a bad cycle if you will. E.g. (and this will be a rough example just for clarification) a black man will be discriminated against for no other reason than prejudice and be denied job opportunities, therefor he ends up relying on crime to support himself and his family and thus become an element "justifying" racism, i.e. he becomes what is discriminated against because of the discrimination alone.

Another problem exists for people that don't have much interaction with people of different cultures and complexions, like myself (and that is purely due to the area in which I live). The problem is that of becoming too selfaware when in the presence of a person of a different complexion. I become too aware of myself not coming off as being racist, which I'm not, so I can tend to bottle up or act akward, because I'm too damn conscious of not saying or acting in any way to signal with even the slightest sign of being racist. And the sad thing is that it can be exactly that behaviour caused by this over-awareness that make me come off as being racist.
To put it simple, it sucks, and I think it stems from the media bombarding us too much about racism; we become too careful around others and fail to simply relax and act natural as we should and would. I'd wager that had I never heard of racism and I met a black man for the very first time I'd simply be fascinated about his appearance and maybe engage in a casual conversation about it without any dread of behavioral pitfalls. There is such a thing as being too damn aware.

In conclusion, as stated before in this thread, the road out of the dark place of racism is a road of understanding. Instead of simply letting fear and ignorance reign, we ought to educate ourselves on different cultures.

Oh wait, I have more. This is for any and all neo-nazi and KKK sympathizers out there. As much as I can tell your greatest fear is that of the "white" genemass getting "polluted" by "colour". The whole idea of reproduction is the evolving and strengthening of the species, and though I'm no genetics expert I believe that the best and strongest offspring generally comes from parents that are as different genetically as possible...As opposed to inbreeding. That is why we're not immortal nor probably ever will be. Our offspring is by nature supposed to take over and thus the species slowly evolve into something stronger and better. Our immortality lies in our ability to procreate. But I'm (almost) moving off-topic here so I'll stop at this.
 ShockV1.89
07-16-2003, 2:44 PM
As one who works in an establishment that tends to place a huge emphasis on black awareness and racism, I believe that white people are often made out as the evil race, and blacks the poor victims.

Anti racism books litter the library, and this is all well and good. But then there are books that praise the words of Malcolm X (a self-proclaimed black supremist) and urge black students to attend black colleges (a racist insitution, a throwback to times when it was really needed).

It really makes me mad sometimes, mostly because I can't speak up, as I would be shunned and ostracized. As it is, the parents of the children I teach rarely take me seriously, and some seem outright hostile. As they are cordial to the black teachers, I can only assume..... I'm the minority here, and even though it makes me understand what it may have been like to be a black person during the 40s and 50s, it doesnt make it right to happen to me today.

"I put in work, and it's all for the kids, but these cats done forgot what work is!" -DMX

Sums up my feelings in a line.
 FunClown
07-17-2003, 2:19 AM
Racism sucks.

In 2000, one of my friends got bashed up in a parking lot because he was Muslim. It was a gang of so called Lebonese "Christians" who fight with a gang of Lebanese "Muslims". I knew one of the Lebanese muslims but my friend who got bashed had nothing to do with it. It was the worst black eye I had ever seen. My friend had really dark skin and you could still see the black around his eye.

It was funny, one day I was talking to him and I told him how when I was younger, around 4 or 5 I used to be afraid of touching black people because I thought the colour would rub off one me. He told me that he had the same problem with white people, thinking the colour would rub off on him. :D
Page: 1 of 1