Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What do you want answered at E3?

Page: 1 of 1
 ZeroXcape
05-07-2003, 2:30 PM
As everyone knows, E3 is less than a week away. Since we will be covering Jedi Academy extensively, we are opening a thread for questions that you want answered. We'll try and bring back answers to as many as possible.
 HertogJan
05-07-2003, 2:44 PM
- How much has Raven listened to the gamers, who thought that balance wasn't really great in JO??

- Will saber combat really be more movie like (including the sabers)??

- How far is your character to becoming a Jedi? Will you be an official Jedi Knight at the end of the story?

Well those I'd like to see answered, thanks for making this thread and have phun on the E3 :D
 The_One
05-07-2003, 3:28 PM
What will MOD support be like for JA? Basically, will we get a Single Player SDK?
 PrimoSidone
05-07-2003, 4:29 PM
- release date
- demo
- movie
 Proto
05-07-2003, 4:51 PM
Multiplayer issues:
- Will there be any objective-based or strictly team-oriented game mode?
- Will you be able to drive/ride vehicles in MP?
- What does scripted events mean for MP gameplay?
- Will there be some kind of Jedi vs. Merc mode?
- Could you reveal some of new MP modes?

Technical issues:
- What does the interaction between animation and environment (described in the example with Rancor) mean for gameplay?
- As seen on screenthots there are some saber wound deacals in character skinning. Will other weapons cause simmilar effect?
- Will "telekinetics" force powers take advance from ragdoll system? I mean if you push someone into the wall or throw him away using grip, is it pre-animated or physics-based?
- Will there be more dismember without refering to cheat codes?

Gameplay issues:
- Is the ledge-grabbing in?
- How many (if any) missions you're playing with other NPC character (i.e. your mentor) at your side is there?

That's it for now :).
 Master_Payne
05-07-2003, 5:40 PM
A video that shows plenty of the saber system but doesn't spoil anything of the story, hopefully a MP video as well.
 PrimoSidone
05-07-2003, 5:55 PM
idd rather see a MP AND a PS video
 Agen
05-07-2003, 6:21 PM
I would like to know how they've improved on multiplayer saber combat. A video would be good :)
 StormHammer
05-07-2003, 7:22 PM
Hmmm...I have a few questions too..

Does the Ragdoll Skeleton System actually mean that we will see ragdoll death effects similar to those in UT2K3...including tumbling down stairs, sliding over ledges, possible twitching of limbs?

Will dismemberment still be included in the game, is it similar to JO by default, and will we have an option to turn on enhanced dismemberment via the menu, instead of utilising a cheat code?

Will bots for team-play oriented MP modes be smarter and work more as a team, especially providing flankers/wingmen for the player (similar to UT/UT2K3), and be less prone to 'suicides' when navigating narrow walkways in MP maps? Also, will players in charge of a team have better and more intuitive control over what team members should be doing?

Will we be able to choose a name for our player character in SP?

Will online MP performance be comparable to JO, especially for those on a 56k connection?

Are there any plans for a 'Special Edition' release of the game in the UK, Europe, USA, etc?

How many hours is the SP campaign estimated to be on a 'normal' difficulty setting?

Will there still be a lot of secret areas to uncover in the SP game, and will the discovery of all secrets in a mission lead to a reward? For example, in JK, you received extra Force stars to allocate to Force powers.

How many different races are available from which we can choose to customise our player character?

Will there be an opportunity for an online chat to ask questions of the developers at a later date?

That's all I can think of for now. :D
 mariners2001
05-07-2003, 7:27 PM
Can we get an estimate month that the game will be released?
What about a demo or beta?
How has saber combat changed?
What new moves have been implemented?
Has ledge-grabbing been added?
Will lightsabers actually light up rooms this time around?
What new force powers have been added?
What new MP modes have been added?
Will you be able to fly any vehicles?
 Solbe M'ko
05-07-2003, 8:22 PM
If the game DOES have a ragdoll system, will the guy just go limp like in UT2K3, or will there be an animation followed by ragdoll like in Unreal 2?

Is there any chance that there will be periodic official releases of new maps/models etc.? Esp. Single Player?

Will the game follow the timeline of the SW universe? :D

Will there be 3 stances still? Different ones for different sabers?

Characters?
 Blademaster_109
05-07-2003, 8:34 PM
Originally posted by PrimoSidone
- release date
- demo
- movie

Couldn't agree more.we need a movie.
 Agen
05-07-2003, 8:58 PM
Does the Ragdoll Skeleton System actually mean that we will see ragdoll death effects similar to those in UT2K3

Well i read an article that i was linked from jediknightii.net if you wanna go search it out, but they had an example of it and said something along the lines of "you can shoot someone on a railing and they will realistically fall over with almost no clipping at all"
or something similar anyway. I have an idea it might be a gamefaqs one actually now that i think about it.
;)
 Krayt Tion
05-07-2003, 9:07 PM
Does JA plan on contributing anything innovative to the FPS genre ala Dark Forces and Jedi Knight, or are you content to just pump out another JO-esque tweakfest? If so, why are you shooting for the sky when you should be shooting for the stars?

There are supposedly far fewer puzzles in JA. Is this really due to a belief in the design philosophy that puzzles aren't needed, or are you actually acknowledging you couldn't implement them worth a damn?

Will the trifecta of triteness, namely the merr-sonn (aka the rocket launcher), heavy repeater (aka the mp5 w/ grenade launcher), and flechette (aka the UT Flak Cannon) be returning? If so, why do you feel the need to burden Star wars gamers with such hackyened implementations of EU weapons?

Will the level design, not order of play, be significantly less linear than JO?

Will your multiplayer level designers magically gain talent and inspiration before release?

Will the game ending not be anti-climactic this time around?

Will this be the last SW FPS you work on? If it isn't, will you reconsider?

Finally, do you have idea why I am so bitter? You should. ;)

:sheepdanc
 MuRaSaMuNe
05-07-2003, 10:36 PM
Outline any graphical improvements?
Are you going to add volumeric projected shadows (same as JK2's sp's shadows which looked pretty nice ;) ) to multi-player this time?
Are the single saber stances going to look different?
Are you going to include "finishing moves"?
What gameplay modes are in multi-player?
Drivable Vehicles in multi-player(probably already asked)?
Co-Op in Multiplayer?
 Jolts
05-08-2003, 12:21 AM
- Ragdoll physics on non player objects ? Like vehicles, a cut off arm, boxes...

- Examples of using dynamics to animate objects ( one example is JO used it on the lightsaber bounce when a reborn was killed)

- Maya or Maya PLE support for animation/modeling/level editing? (obvious 3dsmax and softimage will have it)

- Specific technical advancement for sabers

- AI improvements for sp and mp

- Any new graphic enhancements besides higher poly count and higher texture res.
 boinga1
05-08-2003, 1:09 AM
Originally posted by Krayt Tion
Does JA plan on contributing anything innovative to the FPS genre ala Dark Forces and Jedi Knight, or are you content to just pump out another JO-esque tweakfest? If so, why are you shooting for the sky when you should be shooting for the stars?

There are supposedly far fewer puzzles in JA. Is this really due to a belief in the design philosophy that puzzles aren't needed, or are you actually acknowledging you couldn't implement them worth a damn?

Will the trifecta of triteness, namely the merr-sonn (aka the rocket launcher), heavy repeater (aka the mp5 w/ grenade launcher), and flechette (aka the UT Flak Cannon) be returning? If so, why do you feel the need to burden Star wars gamers with such hackyened implementations of EU weapons?

Will your multiplayer level designers magically gain talent and inspiration before release?

No offense whatsoever intended, I'm sure. :rolleyes:
 BrodieCadden
05-08-2003, 8:31 AM
Will their be a cohesive and well layed out plot for the Single Player game, or will a proper plot and character developement be sacrificed for an open ended choose a mission type game? I hope not. Proper SP games are getting rare nowadays.

Will single bladed lightsabers become redundant once one attains one of the other, "superior", lightsabers?

Rag doll physics like UT2k3!?

Force Push and pull be able to push and pull objects and do damage to enemies? Vader in ESB styles?

In what ways are lightsaber duels improved? Will there be more skill involved?
 Solbe M'ko
05-08-2003, 3:08 PM
Um, not to mess up the way this thread is goin, but hasn't anyone noticed how improved the ragdoll is in Unreal 2 over UT2K3? It's tremendously better to have animations and physics than just physics.
 Agen
05-08-2003, 3:11 PM
Originally posted by Krayt Tion

You're status has disappeared and you've been replaced :D

and to the lightsaber, i think that we should have more control using a single saber rather than a double/staff :p
 BloodRiot
05-08-2003, 4:35 PM
a lot of my questions are already asked above, but I do have one which i consider very important and even if it's asked i must stress it.

Will SP and MP be all that diferent as it is in JO particulary regarding saber play?

I truly hope not since most mod have been trying to make MP look like SP.

Also like most people here... a Demo and movie trailers are appreciated :)
 Solbe M'ko
05-08-2003, 7:38 PM
Yeah, that choice to make SP and MP different was a pain in my ass for a while, but I realize that you couldn't really use SP style in MP anyway, it would be too slow and I doubt if any systems could handle that cleanly. Now 2 player co-op would be a different story...
 ZeroXcape
05-08-2003, 7:47 PM
These are all great... if you have anymore from now until Sunday, keep them coming.
 StormHammer
05-09-2003, 6:06 PM
Here are a few more questions...

Will the menu be changed...and will there be a greater range of options in the menus to customise the game? SOF2 seemed to have a lot more options than JO, for example.

Will there be a choice of different Announcer voices in MP? Mon Mothma got boring after a while.

Are there any plans now or in the future to develop some kind of plugin architecture for SP so that additional SP missions can be played?
 Wacky_Baccy
05-09-2003, 8:58 PM
Posted by Krayt Tion

Finally, do you have idea why I am so bitter? You should. ;)Wow, you've really become cynical and bitter in your old forum-age, haven't you Krayt :D

Can't really say I disagree with you much on most of your points, though, even if I would have put it a little bit more diplomatically...:D

I still enjoyed JK2 a lot however, and thought it was a good game, but it definitely lacked the general/overall Star Wars feel that JK and MotS seemed to me to have... I think I just felt less involved in JK2 than I did in JK/MotS... Hopefully JA will be more.. involving :D

StormHammer has already covered most of my concerns as to what JA will be like, especially the following -Posted by Stormy
Does the Ragdoll Skeleton System actually mean that we will see ragdoll death effects similar to those in UT2K3...including tumbling down stairs, sliding over ledges, possible twitching of limbs?AndAre there any plans now or in the future to develop some kind of plugin architecture for SP so that additional SP missions can be played?I really really hope that we can "slot new SP missions in" easily...

Also, I'd like to know if we'll be able to 'extinguish' one of the double sabers (not the lightstaff), and fight with the other as if it were a single sabre, and not dependent on the double sabre animations (i.e. have the full range of single sabre attacks/moves if we turn off one of the pair).
 Krayt Tion
05-09-2003, 9:32 PM
Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy
Wow, you've really become cynical and bitter in your old forum-age, haven't you Krayt :D

Can't really say I disagree with you much on most of your points, though, even if I would have put it a little bit more diplomatically...:D

You called me on it correctly. Cynical, yes, bitter, yes, undiplomatic, yes. If I had the superspectularl337 points I would change my title to "disgruntled gamer."

My post was more of a vent than constructive criticism I actually expected to get answered. Probably shouldn't have said anything at all. :eek:

Oh well. Raven likely will not be grilled the real problem areas of JO anyways.
 Jolts
05-11-2003, 12:37 AM
- will there be an option for servers to ban people with clan names? like ban *"-=l337h4x0rd00dc7an=-"
 C'jais
05-11-2003, 1:33 PM
What'll the differences be between JK2 and JA with regards to the actual saberfighting?
 boinga1
05-11-2003, 6:54 PM
I'd like to know exactly how many different missions there will be, and exactly how SP will work. Will we eventually have to play through all the levels to beat the game, simply choosing the order? Will we have to complete a certain number of levels ( let's say 13) before we reach a decisive conclusion, with a possible, say 26 or so levels? If we go darkside, will we get to maybe join the bad guys and play missions? How many different races will there be? Will our character always speak Basic (the native language of the player)? Will force allotments or lack thereof affect the missions available? Will players be forced to use a certain numbers of Force powers (ie not saving them up, but maybe having tro use them right away)?
 Kurgan
05-13-2003, 12:50 AM
I sent these questions to Swoosh & Metallus, but here they are again. ; )

Jedi Academy Questions:

Will there be true Class Based multiplayer in JA (ex: Mysteries of the Sith, Team Fortress)? If so, describe it...

Will there be Co-op multiplayer in JA (ex: Serious Sam)? If not, will this be added at a later time?

Will any of the content from JA be backwards compatible with Jedi Outcast (ie: maps, skins, editing tools)?

Will Kyle Katarn be an NPC "ally" in much the same way that Luke, Lando, Jan were in Jedi Outcast?

Will we see any innovative Multiplayer modes like the objective based Assault (Unreal Tournament) or Protect the Queen (from the ill-fated Obi-Wan... similar to Assasination in Rainbow 6) or just the standard modes from Jedi Outcast?

Will we finally get lots of star wars based skins from the previous games and the movies as we did in Mysteries of the Sith?

Also, I'm sure Vagabond wonders if the joystick support for JA will be better than JO's. ; )

Best of luck tomorrow!
 J.K Luke
05-13-2003, 2:53 AM
The quotes were taken from JA game feature in official site:

Unique tiered level selection allows players to choose their adventure and the missions they take based on the skills they need to become the ultimate Jedi Knight.

How unique and robust would it be? And how selective will the missions be?

New vehicles, weapons and Star Wars environments enhance players Star Wars experience.

Are players going to be able to own vehicle or they're mission specific only?

How varied will the environments be? How many different SW locales will be in JA?

fight for good and freedom in the light side or follow the path of power and evil to the dark side

How does the game handle the variation between light jedi and dark jedi in terms of missions, interaction with environment as well as NPCs, in terms of vehicle usage?
 eastcoast2895
05-13-2003, 12:28 PM
i wanna know most about is vehicles and their implemetation. and of course the beauty of ja. also stormhammer i think i read in an interview that the name of the character will not be choosen by the player.
 ZeroXcape
05-14-2003, 4:40 PM
Thanks for all the questions... we'll try and get Raven and LucasArts to answer as many as possible. I'm updating from the E3 media center and just printed off a copy of this thread.

More information coming later!
 MattJedi
05-14-2003, 5:11 PM
First off will multiplayer be dominated by gunners like in JO or will Jedis have there place in multiplayer being able to fight gunners in an even match of skill, if so how will you do this without implementing a class based mode?

How many moves are there in total?

What sort of vehicles will we see? only a select few, or many?

How many force powers are there in total?
 Emon
05-15-2003, 12:33 AM
MattJedi, don't make that assumption, you have no idea what the game will be like in the end.

Someone MUST ask about singleplayer editing. The lack of good mod support in singleplayer was dissapointing. More externalized data like SoF2 has would be excellent.
 MattJedi
05-16-2003, 3:00 PM
LoL
I do now!!!!

There will be a class based system in the new objective based mode which is apparently called Seige, I am very excited about this as im sure many others are. Good job Raven!!!
 Shaggy1984
05-17-2003, 2:02 AM
I'm curious as to know if their will be any advantage in using the single sabre in duels. It was stated that the drawback for the staff and having two sabres was not being able to use force powers which required your hands. However in duels force is disabled. :confused:

I just hope they get the balancing for each style right :cool:
 HertogJan
05-17-2003, 6:12 AM
Well... Any news from the E3?? Did you guys ask some of our questions, and more important, what answers did they give?? :D
 StormHammer
05-17-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by HertogJan
Well... Any news from the E3?? Did you guys ask some of our questions, and more important, what answers did they give?? :D

You might try looking here (http://www.jediknightii.net/e3_academy.shtml) for ZeroXcape's Impressions of the game. :D I'm sure there will be more detailed information to follow.

Anyway, that little article seems to confirm no co-op in SP...but the new MP mode sounds like it could be really good.

No throwing of the dual-staff? Oh well, you can't have everything, I guess. :(

BTW...I recommend that everyone checks the Jedi Knight II News (http://www.jediknightii.net) on a regular basis. ;)
 Shaggy1984
05-17-2003, 10:50 PM
I'd love to see a tides of war style game mode. :D

But Assault lloks like it will have to do.
 Nemios
05-19-2003, 4:52 AM
I'd like to know if 1st person povis fully supported with the saber, dual saber and staff. Will you be able to perform every move you can do in 3rd person?
 Joetheeskimo
05-20-2003, 9:39 PM
Sounds cool, but I have one question: will the cutscenes be movie-like, or like JKII? I liked the movie-like cutscenes in JKI :D
 Kurgan
05-20-2003, 9:53 PM
A few E3 wrap-ups should be forthcoming in the next few days (so I hear), and since E3 has been over for four days, I think its probably safe to unstick this thread.

Thanks everyone for your contributions, and thanks to Met, Zero, Swoosh, and the rest of the guys who went to E3 and reported!

Hopefully your questions got asked/answered...
Page: 1 of 1