Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

You can't choose your characters name in JA

Page: 1 of 2
 Prime
04-28-2003, 4:01 PM
As a spinoff to the Gamespy interview thread, it has come out that:

from Gamespy (http://www.gamespy.com/interviews/april03/foster/)

Christopher Foster: You choose your race, gender, and appearance, and the game gives you your name.

I feel pretty disappointed about this. After being given all these great character creation options, they don't give you the option of giving your character a name. I think this sucks :mad:

Am I overreacting about this?
 SettingShadow
04-28-2003, 4:03 PM
If you are overreacting, then so am I.. I think it sucks aswell, I had made up a name that would suit my character perfectly and now.. :( I'm really dissapointed about this..
 n0th1ng
04-28-2003, 4:19 PM
i bet it can be modded easily..prolly will see a mod less than 2 days after release ;)
 Iblis Reborn
04-28-2003, 4:36 PM
if you have a given name then maybe the cut scenes and characters you meet will be able to speak your name

i think that would be nice

what i think would kill the game and the feel is if you were able to make your name JeDi HuGeBaLLz or something...

you can see the problem there right?
 Prime
04-28-2003, 5:16 PM
Originally posted by Iblis Reborn
if you have a given name then maybe the cut scenes and characters you meet will be able to speak your name

i think that would be nice

what i think would kill the game and the feel is if you were able to make your name JeDi HuGeBaLLz or something...

you can see the problem there right? I know what your saying, but the issues with a user-made character name and spoken dialog has been handled in other games, like Baldur's Gate II. Besides, the MP game will likely allow you to create a name, just because of the amount of variety you'll need. And that's where the you are more likely to see names like JeDi HuGeBaLLz. It isn't such a big issue in SP.
 leXX
04-28-2003, 5:27 PM
At first I was dissapointed when I read it, but when I really think about it, I don't think it is going to make that much difference to me.

What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
 taekwondo joe
04-28-2003, 5:32 PM
i was going to name my charictor, "you will kill me" or "Your a God" because when a charictor says something, he would first use you name, so like if luke was talking to me, instead of saying kyle come here, it would be like "You will kill me, come here" lol, i could have fun with that, oh well
 StormHammer
04-28-2003, 5:36 PM
Originally posted by leXX
At first I was dissapointed when I read it, but when I really think about it, I don't think it is going to make that much difference to me.

What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Maybe it's not a big issue in the long run...it's not the sort of thing that would prevent me from getting the game...but it is remarkably odd to me that they are opening up the options for the rest of the game, yet restricting your choice of name.

As I said in the other thread, there are ways to get around having to use particular character names...using a more generic 'Padawan' or 'Jedi' is one method...another is to ignore names and titles altogether, which is how Baldur's Gate and NWN worked.

If I'm getting away from playing the character of Kyle Katarn...then why do I have to have the name of my new fully customisable character dictated to me? It just doesn't make sense in the context of allowing such customisation of the character in the first place. Even SOF2 allowed you to specify your own 'code name', regardless of the character you were playing. I just think it would be ice to be able to pick a name as well as a race and gender...
 leXX
04-28-2003, 5:42 PM
I agree it doesn't make sense, and it would be very nice to be able to choose your own name as we were all expecting, but I was speaking for myself, not anyone else.
 PrimoSidone
04-28-2003, 6:31 PM
Hehehehe if the game had a mind of its own, it woudl be cool

Hey u are luke
Yeah and u are Stupid son of a b*tch right?
 Prime
04-29-2003, 1:13 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
...but it is remarkably odd to me that they are opening up the options for the rest of the game, yet restricting your choice of name.

As I said in the other thread, there are ways to get around having to use particular character names...using a more generic 'Padawan' or 'Jedi' is one method...another is to ignore names and titles altogether, which is how Baldur's Gate and NWN worked. It is so odd, in fact, that I'm wondering if this is confirmed by another source.
 Taos
04-29-2003, 2:07 AM
It doesn't really matter to me......I agree with what Stormy was saying about a generic title for your character anyways. It's not going to take away from my enjoyment of the game at all! :)

Now if they didn't have this option for Kotor, I would be kinda pissed. :)
 Emon
04-29-2003, 3:01 AM
Trust me on this you guys, choosing your character's name for singleplayer would suck. JA is an FPS, not an RPG. Therefor, in concentrates on character development. It's hard to develop a character when you don't have the name and when there isn't much that's unique about them.

Cutscenes will probably be done like Elite Force. If you choose female, it gives you a female name, if you choose male, you get a male name. E.g. Elite Force's character was Alex/Alexandria Munro.
 GonkH8er
04-29-2003, 6:14 AM
Originally posted by leXX

ergh.... lexx, please.... any more shakespearian quotes you want to pull out, put them in spoiler tags so I can choose not to soil my brain by reading them :P
 JaledDur
04-29-2003, 6:34 AM
We couldn't pick our names in Outcast, or any of the other games. We were always Kyle Katarn.

I think I'll manage. ;)

Chill guys its going to be OK. Breathe. :p
 Pnut_Man
04-29-2003, 9:03 AM
Speaking some Romeo and Juliet, eh Lexx :p?

I have no problem with not choosing my own custom name. Hell, if I want it real bad then I'll just do some quick modding !
 Sam Fisher
04-29-2003, 10:55 AM
Well, I think I would like to choose my own name, but I can live without.
 Kurgan
04-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Actually, you could choose your name in Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith (and Dark Forces as well, though they never refered to you by that name in Single Player).

In JK/MotS they called you Kyle in the cutscenes, but your player name was said every time you died (onscreen text).

They could even have "text reading" technology to manually sound out your name (leading to hilarity in some cases).
 StormHammer
04-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
They could even have "text reading" technology to manually sound out your name (leading to hilarity in some cases).

I'm still waiting for that kind of tech. And it could work well if they used phonetics for pronunciation, rather than straightforward spelling. :)
 Prime
04-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Of course it isn't going to prevent people from getting the game, but for me it is just a little disappointing, that's all. I was just excited that finally I would have a game where I could make my own Star Wars character. And choosing a name is part of that :)
 Kurgan
04-29-2003, 3:55 PM
The technology exists (see for example www.readplease.com) and its improving.

However I haven't seen it (yet) used in a game, other than the "letter only pronunciation" I have seen in arcade games (when you enter your initials for the high score, it "reads" your initials back to you).

Now that I think about it, they could make it so that in each dialouge scene where your name is mentioned, it would play a wav (or mp3) file for your name (which it probably does anyway). All you would have to do is make a file recording of your name being spoken, and swap that file into the pk3, so it would be read each time.

The only problem would be that it wouldn't be in the voice of the voice actor's that would say it in game.

Also, if a lot of different characters say your name, that would be a lot of different voice files to do. But as others have suggested, it could have been dealt with another way, as other games have done.
 Solo4114
04-29-2003, 4:22 PM
I don't mind it so much. We'll still be able to create our own names in multiplayer, so the customizing experience won't be totally out of the question.
 leXX
04-29-2003, 4:34 PM
My daughter's actually have a couple of games with the text reading technology. I entered my daughter Jade's name and it said "Hello Jade". I got the shock of my life! lol. I think it only works with common names atm, because it didn't work for my daughter Kia, much to her dissapointment.
 Pedro The Hutt
04-29-2003, 4:53 PM
I'm not too miffed by it, at least the in game characters will be able to adress you with the name that was given you, and possibilities are that there will be say a different name for each skin tone so you'll have some variety of names, but even if it was only one name for each gender of species I'd still be content. Because in plenty of other games where you can choose your name they either stay clear from voice acting or stay clear from letting the characters ever adress you with his/her name. So in any case, I'm content, I'll give my character a different name in multiplayer. ^_^
 StormHammer
04-29-2003, 5:18 PM
The technology exists (see for example www.readplease.com) and its improving.

However I haven't seen it (yet) used in a game, other than the "letter only pronunciation" I have seen in arcade games (when you enter your initials for the high score, it "reads" your initials back to you).

Heh...thanks for the link. Sorry I wasn't clear...I meant I was still waiting for the tech. in games. ;)

I think the reason why it's not been used up to now is because the voices can still sound a bit robotic. That's okay for everyday reading - but not so good for games where the character acting is mostly done through voice. I'm sure that once they've solved the problem of more natural sounding voices, we'll be seeing it appear in a whole range of games. :thumbsup:
 Kurgan
04-29-2003, 9:31 PM
Speaking of which, and this is somewhat off topic now, if you take one of our infamous "force long posts" and feed it into readplease and pick the "Sam" voice (the old guy), and put it at the slowest speed, it is really.... really funny.

(Or else I really, really, need to get a life!)
 StormHammer
04-29-2003, 9:43 PM
Speaking of which, and this is somewhat off topic now, if you take one of our infamous "force long posts" and feed it into readplease and pick the "Sam" voice (the old guy), and put it at the slowest speed, it is really.... really funny.

I bet it is. :D I'll have to try that. ;)
 Blademaster_109
04-29-2003, 10:04 PM
thats gay, oh well its the only bad feature so far
 Emon
04-30-2003, 12:02 AM
OMG!! OH NOS I CAN'T CHOOSE MY NAME WHICH WOULD MAKE IT ANOTHER BORING RPG OH NUS I HAVE TO GO KILL MYSELF NOW!!!

:rolleyes:
 Prime
04-30-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Solo4114
I don't mind it so much. We'll still be able to create our own names in multiplayer, so the customizing experience won't be totally out of the question. True enough.

I guess I am over reacting. :)

Originally posted by Emon
OMG!! OH NOS I CAN'T CHOOSE MY NAME WHICH WOULD MAKE IT ANOTHER BORING RPG OH NUS I HAVE TO GO KILL MYSELF NOW!!!
What are you so upset about these days? :confused:
 Emon
04-30-2003, 1:05 AM
http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/cwm/3dlil/nonono2.gif...guy) wouldn't know sarcasm if it came up and bit 'em in the face...
 HertogJan
04-30-2003, 5:58 AM
http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/cwm/3dlil/nonono2.gif...guy) wouldn't know sarcasm if it came up and bit 'em in the face...

But it's mostly upset ppl who are sarcastic, so in one way, he's right :D
 Prime
04-30-2003, 12:52 PM
http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/cwm/3dlil/nonono2.gif...guy) wouldn't know sarcasm if it came up and bit 'em in the face... I guess I need tags or a smilie. Sorry :)
 Kurgan
04-30-2003, 7:21 PM
Well, it's like co-op play... I can live without it, but *wistful sigh* it sure would have been cool....
 Blademaster_109
04-30-2003, 10:35 PM
if you think about in the game then it could only mean bad things like. An example is that instead of luke, kyle, etc.. wouldn't be able to talk and you'd have to read it so they could but it your name. Another reason is that you don't want the to refer to you as "him", "the new jedi". It just wouldn't work without them using a name already chosen. However it would be great if they had a big list of names, and for multiplayer you choose ur name.
 HertogJan
05-01-2003, 6:42 AM
Being called a Padawan (by fellow Jedi) or Jedi (by civilians etc) or ******* (by your enemies... hey they gotta do something when you don't have a name ;)) all the time, can be quite annoying I think :D
 Prime
05-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
Being called a Padawan (by fellow Jedi) or Jedi (by civilians etc) or ******* (by your enemies... hey they gotta do something when you don't have a name ;)) all the time, can be quite annoying I think :D True. But is there really going to be that much dialog in this game that it would be a problem? It is a FPS after all :D
 Pedro The Hutt
05-01-2003, 2:29 PM
(I still think to call it something different than FPS lol, action/adventure paahaps)

Well, when you think about it JKII , and JK, and DF all had conciderable amounts of cutscenes and story sequences compared to say.... QII? So I think "yes" you will need to have something that the in game people can adress you with.
 Prime
05-01-2003, 5:40 PM
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt
(I still think to call it something different than FPS lol, action/adventure paahaps)

Well, when you think about it JKII , and JK, and DF all had conciderable amounts of cutscenes and story sequences compared to say.... QII? That's a good point.
 Master_Payne
05-01-2003, 6:17 PM
I'm almost sure the name will be easyly(?) edited through wodpad, so at least the text can be customizable, also if it uses the same .pk3 system that JO the audio won't be a problem to edit.
 Blademaster_109
05-01-2003, 6:47 PM
i just hope the names are human for human people.
 PrimoSidone
05-01-2003, 7:44 PM
..............QuiGonJon or Gulan Vos sound human...?ї
 Emon
05-01-2003, 9:48 PM
There is no one called Gulan Vos.
 Prime
05-01-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by PromoSidone
..............QuiGonJon or Gulan Vos sound human...?ї Tis Quinlan Vos :D
 PrimoSidone
05-02-2003, 7:41 AM
Yeah that one Prime :D

I aint that good of a Sw fan :c3po:
 Prime
05-02-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by PromoSidone
I aint that good of a Sw fan :c3po: Blasphemer!! :D
 Stormtrooper X
05-02-2003, 1:48 PM
Don't overreact! Say in games like Max Payne and GTA: Vice City you have to have given names. Like with other games.:c3po:
 Prime
05-02-2003, 3:12 PM
Originally posted by Stormtrooper X
Don't overreact! Who is overreacting?
 PrimoSidone
05-02-2003, 3:16 PM
What is a Blestheep or something....

U Sw fanatoic :D
 SeanTB123
05-04-2003, 6:38 PM
I don't even think a name is given to your character...by you or by the game.

IGNs article states:
Instead of taking on the role of a specific character as in the previous games in the series, Jedi Academy places players in the role of an anonymous Jedi apprentice, studying under the tutelage of Luke Skywalker and former Jedi Knight hero Kyle Katarn at the Jedi Academy on Yavin 4

Maybe you won't even get a name, period. Just a consideration.
Page: 1 of 2