Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

changes to the fan soundtrack

Page: 1 of 1
 Lundquist
04-15-2003, 3:11 PM
So at last I got the new brass library, and that means I'm now ready to begin on a new version of the ST.
But before I do, I'd like to hear all the things you'd like me to change. Throw all the critizism you have at me - anything from amount of reverb, instrument volumes, instrument selection etc. (I experimentet a lot with the soundtrack trying different things - some of you may have better ideas).
 The_One
04-15-2003, 3:57 PM
Just give me a shout (here) when it's ready, then I'll organise for it to be uploaded to the site and replace the old version.

Looking forward to listening to it ;)
 Katarn07
04-15-2003, 4:35 PM
Right before the string selection of Mohc - The Final Battle, either lose the two brass notes, or convert them to strings as well. My only real complaint about your work...

EDIT - Read the below post. I must say leave the strings solo in Mohc - The Final Battle... It was different.
 Master Toddy
04-16-2003, 1:56 PM
Go heavier on the brass. The brass should overpower the strings in tracks like the main theme. IMHO, the strings and percussion seem to overpower the brass in the theme, which doesn't seem to give it as much oomf as I remember it having in the original game. Williams used heavy brass more than anything (espeically french horns, as my mom would say), so use lots of brass. Though, that doesn't mean you should quit using strings, there are still good parts in the sound track for strings, I just feel that the brass should be more overpowering and carry the melody more than the strings should (as they do in any other 'Wars sound track).
 Lundquist
04-18-2003, 2:41 PM
More power to the brass, got it. I think I'll add some bass trombones as well to give the brass section more sizzle(sp?)
the brass samples I used last time was sampled from a brass section with 3 trumpets 4 french horns 3 tenor trombones and 1 tuba - the ones I'll use now are 4 trumpets 8 french horns 6 tenor trombones 2 bass trombones and 2 tubas - so the brass should have a bigger sound.
I'll post a sample soon, to hear some opinions.
 Master Toddy
04-19-2003, 9:09 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention was that the choir voices are a tad bit too stringy. I don't know much about synth so I don't know if that can be fixed or not. They should also be a little louder when they have the medley.
 The_One
04-20-2003, 7:49 AM
Yeah, big brass makes Star Wars music good ;)

You do have to pay a small fortune to get good vocal sounds. Infact, even from professionals, I've never heard a decent vocal/choir sound...
 Master Toddy
04-20-2003, 12:08 PM
Oh, oh well. At least the choir voices aren't used too much in the sound track, though it's been a while since I've listened to the entire soundtrack.
 Darth_Linux
04-20-2003, 4:21 PM
Originally posted by Lundquist
More power to the brass, got it. I think I'll add some bass trombones as well to give the brass section more sizzle(sp?)
the brass samples I used last time was sampled from a brass section with 3 trumpets 4 french horns 3 tenor trombones and 1 tuba - the ones I'll use now are 4 trumpets 8 french horns 6 tenor trombones 2 bass trombones and 2 tubas - so the brass should have a bigger sound.
I'll post a sample soon, to hear some opinions.

In real life, 8 french horns would be louder than all those other brass instruments combined when they play in their upper register. A more realistic brass section would be:

6 trumpets (2 on each part)
4 french horns (2 on each part)
4 tenor bones (2 each part)
1 bass bone
2 baritone/euphonium
2 tuba

that will balance out the fr. horns which are HELLA loud.

Horns are a pretty characteristic voice in Johnny T.'s arrangements though, so you do want those loud, but trust me 4 of them are plenty loud!
 Lundquist
04-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Don't worry, I'll use 4 most of the way, but I'm considering using the 8 when themes like 'rebel spaceship fanfare' make an appearance.
I remember the last time I was at a concert when they played Star Wars, the brass section was:
6 French Horns
5 Trumpets
2 Tenor Bones
1 Bass Bone
1Tuba
somewhat untraditional, but it sounded awesome.

about the choir, personally I think this library sounds pretty good:
http://www.angelfire.com/music4/gffrpg/choirsample.mp3)
I have that now btw, though it's a pain to create words with.

anywho, I'd like comments on this demo, if the volume levels reverb etc. is ok or need more tweaking?
http://www.angelfire.com/music4/gffrpg/mohc.mp3)

I must admit though, that it doesn't sound that much different from the one in the last soundtrack. I thought it would - but sadly doesn't :(
P.S. I'm aware that the bones playing the theme alone near the end have a kind of 'chainsawish' sound. I'm trying to figure out how to avoid that...
 michael_collins
04-24-2003, 5:29 PM
WHAT THE HECK is that choiral peice from, i LOVE IT

BTW what about the choiral bit at the start of Duel of the Fates The_One?

PS, IMHO I dont think the lone violinist is very heroic nor very appropriate......it sounds more like the "Mamuskah" dance in the first Adams family film where Gomez and Fester dance with knives, anybody remember that scene? Apart from that, its definately the quality I expect from Mr Williams or Mr Shore or Mr Zimmer.......superb work
 The_One
04-24-2003, 7:22 PM
Originally posted by michael_collins
BTW what about the choiral bit at the start of Duel of the Fates The_One?

Yes, what about it? :confused:
 michael_collins
04-24-2003, 9:39 PM
good example of good use of choiral music :D
 Lundquist
04-25-2003, 5:52 AM
That choirsample is not from anything, it's just composed to show what is possible with choirsamples.

heh, normally it's the entire violin section playing that part, I just tried to see how it sounds with a solo violin - Of course I'll remove it if it's too non SW'ish.
 michael_collins
04-25-2003, 1:46 PM
Well mabye the violin wasnt a good solo choice.....what would be?
 Master Toddy
04-26-2003, 12:48 PM
How about replacing the solo violinist with a solo french horn or something like that?

I just listened to it and I was pretty impressed, much better than the first version. My only complaint with it (I kinda like that solo violinist) is that the brass sometimes sounds to.....wishy-washy (is that the word I want?) or too stringy? A good example of this is where the french horns (or is it trombones) come in at about 1:00. It should sound more like they're biting it, if you get what I mean. Other than that it sounds pretty good.
 Jeff 42
04-26-2003, 1:54 PM
Replace the solo violinist with the violin section, like it was in the first version.
 Darth_Linux
04-26-2003, 2:36 PM
Originally posted by Master Toddy
How about replacing the solo violinist with a solo french horn or something like that?

French Horn can't play that high . . .
 Lundquist
04-26-2003, 2:40 PM
right, I'd have to transpose it down an octave or two if I was going with horn.
I think I'll try the solo part with violin section first - I could try with other instruments, personally though, I think it sounds like it was written specially for violin.

Master Toddy: I think Iknow what you mean, I'll try using brass with a faster attack, the problem is they sound a bit more synthy, but may work out better, I haven't tried them with this piece yet.
 Lundquist
05-08-2003, 6:00 AM
Okay so this is technically a double post, but my last post is old, so... I've changed the brass so it doesn't sound so 'sluggish' (I'm now using 4 horns 3 trumpets and 3 bones), I've also cut down heavily on the reverb, please tell me if I've cut off too much.

http://www.angelfire.com/music4/gffrpg/mohc.mp3)

oh, and the solo siolin is now violin section again.
Page: 1 of 1