Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Those of us who play with Macs

Page: 1 of 2
 Anakin
04-15-2003, 4:47 AM
Will we be seeing this game available on the mac, or is it still under debate?
 Taos
04-15-2003, 4:55 AM
Well, last time I checked, [about four hours ago] it's only available for pc and the xbox. I have not yet heard any plans to bring it to macs.
 StormHammer
04-15-2003, 5:17 AM
Considering that Jedi Outcast was never announced for being on Mac, but eventually got ported across by Aspyr (I think), I would imagine you could probably expect something similar down the line for JA. However, it's unlikely to be a priority, unfortunately, so I guess you'll have to wait and see. :(
 The_One
04-15-2003, 7:13 AM
 StormHammer
04-15-2003, 7:20 AM
Originally posted by The_One
Join the PC world!

http://www.electric-chicken.co.uk/)

Ooohh...not nice. :tsk:

Rib-ticklingly funny though ;)
 Anakin
04-15-2003, 7:21 AM
Originally posted by The_One
Join the PC world!

http://www.electric-chicken.co.uk/)

lol that was either a joke about were I work or that I play on my mac :)

but I have both a Mac and a PC, so dont worry, I was asking for all those people who have only got Macs and were very very happy when they were able to get thier hands on JK:O for Mac
 NerfYoda
04-15-2003, 1:21 PM
It'll most likely get ported to the Mac by some company a few months after it's initial release. :(
 txa1265
04-16-2003, 10:59 PM
I thought I had posted a while ago about this ...

JKII/Mac took about 6 months after JKII/PC, and only 3 months from the announce date. Even on games like Elite Force II it is a struggle to co-release. This is because the development cycle has the 'port' team - at best - waiting for the origin dev team. Plus the dev team tends to use every last second before 'going gold' to tweak for bugs and performance (certainly Raven seems to do that), so that makes it harder.

If we assume an October release, that could mean January 2004 on the Mac. Sounds good to me.

BTW - to the anti-Mac people, my best Yavin Swamp experience was on my powerbook G4 TiBook ... better than my 2.53 GHz P4 Dell.

Mike
 Koala3K
04-23-2003, 10:47 PM
I have found that LucasArts has a way of saying "screw you" to their Mac fans. Full Throttle, Sam and Max, and Dark Forces/JK2 were all available on Mac, but their sequels are not going to be. So, if you have a Mac like me, LucasArts would like to say SCREW YOU!

However, I see some hope for Jedi Academy coming to Mac, especially since, last I heard, it was going to use the same JK2 engine, and it shouldn't be too hard to port, since the engine's already been ported...

Keep your fingers crossed.

--Koala3K
 Emon
04-24-2003, 3:51 AM
Quake technology is rediculously easy to port.
 txa1265
04-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Keeping in mind I'm typing this on my 12" Powerbook G4 ...

I agree with LEC not porting JK1/MotS for the Mac. Remember, that was back in 1997, when the Mac was flailing at best. Not that I wouldn't (even now) eat up a JK port for the Mac ... I still like playing Dark Forces on the Mac!

Things are very different today for a couple of reasons. JKII was done using the Q3TA engine, which is already portable. JK1 had a proprietary engine. The Mac community is very much alive these days, and buying games in good numbers. And I believe that JKII was (and still is) an excellent Mac seller, just as it was a hot seller for the PC.

So ... I think we will see it 3-4 months after the PC version. I am ~90% certain I will buy both ... as I'm ~90% certain it will not just be every bit as excellent a game as JKII ... it will be even better.

Mike
 g-blatt
04-24-2003, 1:12 PM
by Koala3K
I have found that LucasArts has a way of saying "screw you" to their Mac fans. Full Throttle, Sam and Max, and Dark Forces/JK2 were all available on Mac, but their sequels are not going to be. So, if you have a Mac like me, LucasArts would like to say SCREW YOU!

Kind of like Gorge Bush and the U.N. :p

P.S. I'm posting this from a six year old Blue & White G3 whith a 21" CRT monitor and the thing runs Jaguar like a dream!

P.P.S. anyone know how much a Gforce 4 MX costs?I want to use Quartz Extreme!

P.P.P.S. if your a windows user go here (http://www.apple.com/swich) and here (http://www.apple.com/osx)
then drool over apple's new Ьber-Browser Safari (http://www.apple.com/safari/). :D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool:
 HertogJan
04-24-2003, 3:12 PM
Don't buy a GF4MX!!
 Matariel
04-25-2003, 2:41 AM
yeah, geforce4mx's are about the same power as a geforce2, so they're not worth it...

and niether are macs, unless you do video editing or image editing- thats all they're designed for...if you can get a good game out of a brand new powerbook, good on ya, but i still think that macs arent the best platform for it, they're trying to change this but its going very slowly...

OSX helped, but thats only because Apple didnt make most of it, its based on Unix, big security, good resource management, clunky interface still remains tho- thats a big problem for me.

I'll keep my windows XP thankyou
 Anakin
04-25-2003, 5:39 AM
One - this isnt going to be we hate macs, use a Windows PC thread, there are people on here who do both PC and Mac, me being one of them, and there is nothing like a good LAN game of Jedi Outcast to get the ol' brain jucies awake first thing in the morning.

Plus if you own a 17" Powerbook, I could just say HAHAHAHAHA they rule //strokes the screen.....

Its mine mine I tell you, mwahahahahaha

:p
 Matariel
04-25-2003, 7:30 AM
mac processors may be powerful (ive yet to be convinced of this though), but MacOS sucks, i really really hate using it, its the stupidest unintuative thing ive ever seen. Windows may baby you a little with the user friendly stuff, but i'll take it if MacOS is the alternative
Plus there are few games for Mac (Blizzard are the only developers that make all their games for Mac as well as PC, warcraft3 actually use the same CD for PC and Mac)
 Anakin
04-25-2003, 8:15 AM
Originally posted by Matariel
mac processors may be powerful (ive yet to be convinced of this though), but MacOS sucks, i really really hate using it, its the stupidest unintuative thing ive ever seen. Windows may baby you a little with the user friendly stuff, but i'll take it if MacOS is the alternative
Plus there are few games for Mac (Blizzard are the only developers that make all their games for Mac as well as PC, warcraft3 actually use the same CD for PC and Mac)

Ahh from the voice of the Un-educated, and Windows loving people, trust me there are a lot more games for Mac than people belive, my collection of Mac Games is quiet extensive.

The Mac OS doesnt 'suck' it just that you have never used it and and are too used the WindowsOS, I would on ther other hand never touch Windows XP with a 12 foot barge pole, and will quiet happily stay with Win2k for the forseable future.

On the Mac Processers, a Dual 1.4Ghz G4 is equivlent to Dual 2.86 P4 HT. And my Mac still renders 2-3 hours faster than my PC when I do all my 3D stuff.

Now leave it there- this is sposed to be about the eventual release of the game on the Mac, and to show there is intrest for it. If you wish to go on about it, go to Yoda's swamp and pull up the old 'Mac v's PC' thread.

Anakin
 txa1265
04-25-2003, 8:55 AM
... Anakin - save your breath ... anyone who posts stuff like Matariel has no real clue what he's talking about with regards to various OS's, and since he posts like an authority it implies a certain arrogance, so he won't be likely to listen and learn, so why bother.

OK, I'll bother ... Matariel - as I've said, I use machines of various OS's all of the time, and have been using PC's since I had my data on 8" floppies and cassette tapes. I regularly use WinXP, Win2k, WinNT4, and MacOS X. If all you ever knew and learned was Windows, then sure it seems more intuitive. But I guage ease-of-use by my wife, not my kids (they're like me and pick up everything related to computers very easily). My wife didn't ever really click with MacOS 'Classic' versions since she started using a Win2k laptop I got her. But OS X ... she immediately connects to that and loves it ... I have her on iPhoto, Mail, and so on ... and she loves it. Windows was constantly 'helping her' by doing things she didn't want, Mac OS X does what she wants and nothing more.

On the gaming front - there are more PC games than Mac games and they come out sooner. All true. But, as I said, JKII plays better on my Powerbook 1GHz than my 2GHz Dell Inspiron ... and the Yavin Swamp plays better than my Dell Dimension 8200 (2.53GHz).

I like both Macs and PCs, and with WinXP MS has come up with a nice, stable OS. I prefer OS X. You prefer Windows. Good for you ... don't feel the need to masquerade your uninformed prejudice as knowledge.

Mike
 Anakin
04-25-2003, 11:03 AM
Well Said. :)

[quote]
I like both Macs and PCs, and with WinXP MS has come up with a nice, stable OS. I prefer OS X. You prefer Windows. Good for you ... don't feel the need to masquerade your uninformed prejudice as knowledge.
[/quote

WinXP a 'nice' system :p as if, im just waiting till every one meets longhorn, hello, Im going to raid your pc and see what files you have downloaded, and whats this, a Cracked version of Photoshop, oh well Im going to have to tell Mr Adobe on you now and his nice Layers. Thank you for purchasing a Microsoft Product.
 txa1265
04-25-2003, 2:28 PM
For those who played JKII on the Mac & PC, what was your favorite thing on the Mac and what would you like to see different.

For me - and it isn't really Aspyr or Raven's fault, I was unable to have my Intellimouse Explorer custom map settings for both the game and the demo ... and I'm not sure on the Mac how to just use the Demo map with the regular game.

The performance was very good for me - some places the FPS were not as high as my PC, others were higher, but the Yavin Swamp was the real standout for Mac excellence.

Mike
 Anakin
04-26-2003, 6:22 PM
How about we make sure that any Right Click commands in the game menus can be done on the Mac eg

Right Clicking to deselect force powers in MP
 txa1265
04-26-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Anakin
How about we make sure that any Right Click commands in the game menus can be done on the Mac eg

Right Clicking to deselect force powers in MP

Funny ... since I use the Intellimouse Explorer (5 buttons!) I don't ever think about that ... I didn't realize it.

How do you do alt-attacks?

Mike
 Matariel
04-27-2003, 5:27 AM
macintoshes may be good at what they do, but userfriendlyness they loose out
and dont say "you dont know what you're talking about", ive used every popular OS out there, and macOS just grates on me...i like the idea of a task bar

and one more thing, one button mice that are perfectly round? wtf?!?!

theres a q3 port for mac, which was actually released first as i remember, but i dont think raven will make a mac port too quickly, so dont hold your breath
 txa1265
04-28-2003, 8:45 AM

theres a q3 port for mac, which was actually released first as i remember, but i dont think raven will make a mac port too quickly, so dont hold your breath

Try to keep yourself on subject ... at least you showed a glimmer in this post ...

Raven doesn't do the ports to Mac. Westlake typically does them for MacPlay or Aspyr. Aspyr has released Raven games Elite Force and Jedi Knight II, and other Q3-based games like MoHAA and RtCW. MacPlay released Raven's Soldier of Fortune II.

The ports of Raven-made JKII and SoFII happened with ~4-6 months of the PC releases. I am highly confident that Aspyr will see the business case to make the port, and I see LEC/Activision wanting it (the $$) as well.

I have stated data to back my thoughts. On what do you base your opinions?

Mike
 Anakin
04-28-2003, 9:25 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
Funny ... since I use the Intellimouse Explorer (5 buttons!) I don't ever think about that ... I didn't realize it.

Mike

I use a two button mouse, but I use the Apple Key if I dont have it with me.

macintoshes may be good at what they do, but userfriendlyness they loose out
and dont say "you dont know what you're talking about", ive used every popular OS out there, and macOS just grates on me...i like the idea of a task bar

and one more thing, one button mice that are perfectly round? wtf?!?!

Look I know it will happen they will port it over, at the end of the day you are content using your Windows OS, we on the other hand are profesionials who use Mac's for what they can do for us, and on the One button mouse, why do you need 2,3,4,5,6 ?? Yes well, Task bars excist If you know what you are doing OSX has a task bar, and so does OS9, I would give up and go talk to some one else, and leave this thread alone.

Anakin
 HertogJan
04-28-2003, 9:49 AM

Mike

Can you configure the IntelliMouse Explorer buttons? I have it too, but it seems to me I can only configure it if I set the buttons to work as, say ctrl, by using the windows software... :(
 txa1265
04-28-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by HertogJan
Can you configure the IntelliMouse Explorer buttons? I have it too, but it seems to me I can only configure it if I set the buttons to work as, say ctrl, by using the windows software... :(

Yes - there is software for OS X available at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/download.asp)

I use it on both of my Powerbooks (12" and TiBook) and it works great. I have my mouse buttons ideantical for Mac and Windows ... makes gameplay very easy for things I play on both.

Mike
 Anakin
04-28-2003, 10:22 AM
Im still waiting for my replacment laptop to turn up, My nice new 17" Powerbook.

:(

I use one of those Microsoft Notebook Mice, now they are nice :)
 txa1265
04-28-2003, 10:31 AM
Im still waiting for my replacment laptop to turn up, My nice new 17" Powerbook.

:(

I use one of those Microsoft Notebook Mice, now they are nice :)

I was thinking about a 17", but since between my 12" and 1GHz TiBook I find myself using the 12" more, I chose not to order.

BTW - do you need any memory? I have a new 512MB for the 17".

Also ... I've gotten hooked into this 5-button mouse. Buttons 1 & 2 are the 'normal' attack and alt-attack. 3 is on the wheel, and I have that mapped to saber stance. 4 & 5 are at my thumb, and I have those for push and pull. Keeps me from having to move my hands much.

Mike
 HertogJan
04-28-2003, 11:04 AM
Eh, that's not what I meant. I use WinXP so I don't have mac problems :) But I meant to say that the thumb buttons can only be assigned in windows, to certain functions. Example: I have the large thumb button assigned to double clicked, that is basicly mous1, right? (but then double ;))

In JO, when I go to controls and I try to assign the large thumb button to an action (say pull), it says it's mouse1, BUT IT ISN'T!! :(

The only way to work around this is, to assign the thumb button in windows (using intellipoint) to, let's say 'x', and then assign 'x' in JO to pull. But I'd like to have the thumb buttons to be called mouse4 and mouse5 :(

Intellipoint sofftware doesnt do that :(

Oh and I realise thise is slightly off-topic :( :o sorry...
 Anakin
04-28-2003, 11:11 AM
I was thinking about a 17", but since between my 12" and 1GHz TiBook I find myself using the 12" more, I chose not to order.

BTW - do you need any memory? I have a new 512MB for the 17".

Also ... I've gotten hooked into this 5-button mouse. Buttons 1 & 2 are the 'normal' attack and alt-attack. 3 is on the wheel, and I have that mapped to saber stance. 4 & 5 are at my thumb, and I have those for push and pull. Keeps me from having to move my hands much.

Mike

Thanks for the offer - but I already got the memory when I ordered it from work :) I have wait until 9th of May until it arrives.....
 txa1265
04-28-2003, 11:13 AM
Eh, that's not what I meant. I use WinXP so I don't have mac problems :) But I meant to say that the thumb buttons can only be assigned in windows, to certain functions. Example: I have the large thumb button assigned to double clicked, that is basicly mous1, right? (but then double ;))

In JO, when I go to controls and I try to assign the large thumb button to an action (say pull), it says it's mouse1, BUT IT ISN'T!! :(

The only way to work around this is, to assign the thumb button in windows (using intellipoint) to, let's say 'x', and then assign 'x' in JO to pull. But I'd like to have the thumb buttons to be called mouse4 and mouse5 :(

Intellipoint sofftware doesnt do that :(

Oh and I realise thise is slightly off-topic :( :o sorry...

Ahhh ... I see now.

I guess I don't run into that because I don't remap for anything in Windows (or OS X), just for games ...

Mike
 Matariel
04-28-2003, 1:00 PM
okay lets get one thing straight, i got turned off macs when our highschool got one of the first iMacs in Australia, and i was given it to set up for our incompetant teacher...simple plug and play yeah, but then we got to 'play around' with it. The teacher kept bubbling about how powerful it was, and how much better it was than the brand new P-III chips that were starting to come out at the time. What what myself and about 4 other guys (who, like me, have used computers since they were in pre-school) I'm not sure what OS it used (i think it was OS8, but i dont know), but i hated the interface, had to shift windows around to get to anything. Then we started to play one of the bundled games, Turok, if i recall. I know the ATI Rage that came with the early iMacs wasnt the best example of a video card at the time, but this game went terribly. There was no fog, it just clipped the view at the certain distance, whenever a dinosaur came onto the screen the framerate dropped through the floor, and the image quality was terrible. This coupled with the terrible control config (and freaken wierd round mouse with one button) just made me shake my head at the teacher who said it was the fastest and most powerful desktop computer ever made.

They may look 'groovey' but underneath that colourful moulded plastic exterior, they're nothing more than glorified video and graphics editing machines, and theres nothing thats going to change my mind about that.

PS. I'm from australia, and i dont know how popular Macs are in 'the land of the free', but the only place you'll see them here is in universities these days, being used as (well what do ya know?) video editing systems, and the occasional G4 for simple web browsing.

So, to repeat, JA probably wont (in my opinion) be ported to mac, because (still my opinion folks) it will neither be economically feasible nor will it be technologically feasible.
 txa1265
04-28-2003, 1:22 PM
<snip>
So, to repeat, JA probably wont (in my opinion) be ported to mac, because (still my opinion folks) it will neither be economically feasible nor will it be technologically feasible.

OK, so we've firmly established that you had a crappy one-off experience with a Mac a few years ago running an old OS, and have forever condemned everything Mac and Apple. Which is about as useful as people who use Win95 and 95 as proof that all PC's are crap and Windows can't last 10 minutes without crashing ... can we please drop the OS bashing line??!?!?!?!

Your last statement 'not economically or technologically feasible' makes no sense to me, so I'd like to ask you to explain further. Do you realize that Jedi Knight II was ported to the Mac? Do you also realize that JKII was a great seller on both the PC and the Mac? Do you further realize that current Mac's, running OS X, are quite capable of running all of the current crop of high-end PC games - including JKII, SoFII, RtCW, MoHAA, and so on? And as I said before, my best graphics performance on Yavin Swamp was not on my Dell 2.53GHz desktop with 128MB GF4 Ti4600, but my Mac Titanuim Powerbook G4?

Can you see how I don't understand your assertions? I am always interested in objective and fact based discussions.

Mike
 HertogJan
04-28-2003, 3:41 PM
How much fps did you get then?? I get 70 average I think... in the swamp that is, the rest is 90/100...
 txa1265
04-28-2003, 5:03 PM
How much fps did you get then?? I get 70 average I think... in the swamp that is, the rest is 90/100...

You know ... I never checked it there !!! Unbelievable! I know my Dell Inspiron 8200 (1.8GHz P4, 64MB GF4 GO 440) only got ~30FPS, and the Dimension was better but not 60. The Powerbook was just smooth as silk and graphically seemed more beautiful (maybe because I wasn't annoyed at how choppy it got).

I have heard that the next TiBook is just waiting for volume on the new ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 ... if so, it will be MINE!

Mike
 HertogJan
04-28-2003, 7:41 PM
A teacher of mine a couple of years ago had a cool mac, very small, but with some laptop features and a semi-normal OS... That looked great!!

Other then that, I HATE MACS!! It's hardware sometimes sucks, but I got to admit I don't know much about it.

But even if they had the best of all hardware, I would't buy it, because I hate those freakin' colors... WHY WOULD I WANT A PINK COMPUTER??!! :rolleyes: :D
 Matariel
04-29-2003, 7:53 AM
okay, what im saying here is from what ive seen in australia, the Mac is not popular at all down here, so i dont know how popular it is in the US or wherever else.
First of all, i dont think a mac release will be economically feasible (down here at least) because sales will not justify the conversion cost. Again, im only speaking as a gamer from australia, where over 90% of gamers systems are PCs.
Second, i dont think that a mac port of JA will be technologically feasible because only the high end, top of the range macs can run it. Like the brand new ones with ge-force's in them. Correct me if im wrong on this, but how do u go about upgrading a mac? i thought it just wasnt possible, you had to buy almost a complete system again. Then again, i havent looked into it.

You say you get better playing performance out of your powerbook, but i wouldnt play games on a laptop unless i was forced to (like if my actual computer exploded) And please tell me that the standard macintosh mouse has more than one button now :) i couldnt game with one button even if my life depended on it
 txa1265
04-29-2003, 10:34 AM
A teacher of mine a couple of years ago had a cool mac, very small, but with some laptop features and a semi-normal OS... That looked great!!

Other then that, I HATE MACS!! It's hardware sometimes sucks, but I got to admit I don't know much about it.

But even if they had the best of all hardware, I would't buy it, because I hate those freakin' colors... WHY WOULD I WANT A PINK COMPUTER??!! :rolleyes: :D

Bigotry and prejudice are not just about people, you know. They are attitudes based on strong opinions formed from little information.

I don't want a pink computer either. I have an aluminum and a titanium one.

I want reliable hardware. I've not rebooted my Powerbook in over 2 weeks. Close the lid, take it with me. Switch from home wireless to work wireless to FAB wired to ... all without rebooting. I never have had a PC laptop work like that!

But - the reason we're here isn't Mac or PC - I own more PC's than Macs', in fact ... we just want to play JA on a Mac. I think I will be able to - and that you never will, so it doesn't matter to you - which makes me ask why you're here in this thread?

Mike
 txa1265
04-29-2003, 11:09 AM
okay, what im saying here is from what ive seen in australia, the Mac is not popular at all down here, so i dont know how popular it is in the US or wherever else.
First of all, i dont think a mac release will be economically feasible (down here at least) because sales will not justify the conversion cost. Again, im only speaking as a gamer from australia, where over 90% of gamers systems are PCs.
Second, i dont think that a mac port of JA will be technologically feasible because only the high end, top of the range macs can run it. Like the brand new ones with ge-force's in them. Correct me if im wrong on this, but how do u go about upgrading a mac? i thought it just wasnt possible, you had to buy almost a complete system again. Then again, i havent looked into it.B]

Thanks for admitting that you don't really know much about this stuff. There was a time when Mac users hung on to their systems forever and bought little software. That is a likely reason why JK1 never came to the Mac (among others). Now, Mac systems are competitively priced (a recent article showed that Apple laptops were actually a better value than Dell), and the systems can be easily upgraded, and people are buying.

Also, the Mac software community has a business model that works with being 10% of the market, and the Mac users work within that. I know there is piracy everywhere, but there seem to bee disproportionately more PC 'warez' than Mac.

[B]You say you get better playing performance out of your powerbook, but i wouldnt play games on a laptop unless i was forced to (like if my actual computer exploded) And please tell me that the standard macintosh mouse has more than one button now :) i couldnt game with one button even if my life depended on it

I said that the Swamp performance and graphics on my Powerbook were the best of *ANY* of my systems - including two Dell laptops, yes, but also a Dell Dimension 8200 (2.53GHz, GF4 Ti4600). Personally I prefer portable systems, but that is my own preference. I only use Mac laptops, which come standard only with a trackpad - I wouldn't use that for real gaming. I use an Intellimouse Explorer on all my computers for gaming.

Mike
 HertogJan
04-29-2003, 11:20 AM
Yeah there are titanium ones and they look nice :) It's just that I hate the pink macs ;) I don't have much experience with macs, but I know compatibility is an issue and I rather have all my software and games to work at once... It's too bad microsoft has such a big monopoly :(
 txa1265
04-29-2003, 12:23 PM
Yeah there are titanium ones and they look nice :) It's just that I hate the pink macs ;) I don't have much experience with macs, but I know compatibility is an issue and I rather have all my software and games to work at once... It's too bad microsoft has such a big monopoly :(

There are no more 'funny color' Macs.

Also, regarding compatibility - if I couldn't run MS Office, the same statistical analysis and graphical analysis programs, and Lotus Notes on both Mac and PC without a problem ... I wouldn't have a Mac either. You can easily work seamlessly between the two platforms.

Mike
 Kurgan
04-29-2003, 12:34 PM
It's a pitty that Jedi Knight/Mysteries of the Sith were never released on the Mac. I'm sure it (JKA) will be ported eventually. It will be nice to have some more players to fight against/with.

The Mac version of JK2 did have higher res pre-rendered cutscenes, and Dark Forces for the Mac had slightly better gameplay graphics too.
 HertogJan
04-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Hmm so I can use my Office XP CD for windows to install it on say, a mac laptop? That's great :D

And how much do you pay for a mac laptop? With reasonable performance? (for office applications and light games that is...)
 Kurgan
04-29-2003, 3:53 PM
Some programs do support both platforms, but in some cases you may need to use an "emulator" like VirtualPC. I don't have a lot of experience with these however...
 txa1265
04-29-2003, 5:27 PM
Hmm so I can use my Office XP CD for windows to install it on say, a mac laptop? That's great :D

And how much do you pay for a mac laptop? With reasonable performance? (for office applications and light games that is...)

My Office XP disk is as useful in my Mac as my Office.X disk is in my PC ... ;) You have to pay twice to use in both places. There are very few 'dual install' programs (fortunately I have some!)

My 12" Powerbook G4 cost ~$1800, with 1GB RAM, 40GB HD, CDRW, and so on. It is not as strong for games as my TiBook, but it does OK with JKII, Elite Force, UT, and older stuff like Dark Forces! I compare it favorably performance-wise with my Dell Inspiron 8100 w/1.2GHz PIII, 1GB RAM, 40GB HD, 32MB GF 2GO. Where it really shines is portability and stability ...

Mike
 Anakin
04-30-2003, 6:24 AM
My Office XP disk is as useful in my Mac as my Office.X disk is in my PC ... ;) You have to pay twice to use in both places. There are very few 'dual install' programs (fortunately I have some!)

My 12" Powerbook G4 cost ~$1800, with 1GB RAM, 40GB HD, CDRW, and so on. It is not as strong for games as my TiBook, but it does OK with JKII, Elite Force, UT, and older stuff like Dark Forces! I compare it favorably performance-wise with my Dell Inspiron 8100 w/1.2GHz PIII, 1GB RAM, 40GB HD, 32MB GF 2GO. Where it really shines is portability and stability ...

Mike

:)

//strokes lovingly new 17" Powerbook :)
 txa1265
05-06-2003, 10:47 AM
:)

//strokes lovingly new 17" Powerbook :)

... so ... how's the new Powerbook treating you ... ;)

Mike
 Anakin
05-06-2003, 5:51 PM
Its going well, JO runs at about 120 FPS, goes well in MP, runs like a dream, boots up in about 15seconds, drools, lights up when it goes dark, my NEW i-pod works well with it too :)
 The_One
05-06-2003, 7:30 PM
What resolution, anti aliasing, and other funky features are you running?

A lot (infact most) manufactured PCs cut back on a lot of hardware neccessities - and come with so much pre-installed crap on them it's no wonder they run like a bitch.

Build your own, and love it ;)

I don't have a particularly new PC, but it's all home made and boots to my desktop from cold in under 15 seconds.

I can't stand Macs, but that's just speaking from personal experience. I **** you not when I say "if I touch them, they crash".

:p
Page: 1 of 2