Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The war is f*ckin' over!

Page: 1 of 1
 C'jais
04-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Hey guys, I heard on the news in Spain that the war in Iraq is over - Great news!!!

I don't have time to write anything apart from a big "Well done!" to the American and British forces who avoided a brutal city fight in Baghdad, which a lot of people rightly feared.

Cheers all - I'll be back on sunday.

-C'
 Wacky_Baccy
04-11-2003, 10:29 AM
It does appear to have been relatively bloodless, which is excellent - just mopping up pockets of resistance now... I'm still amazed that Baghdad fell so easily, and also very pleased - I might not agree with how Bush went about starting the war, but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to see the troops fail (as if) or suffer heavy casualties just because I don't agree with the way it was done... I think Rumsfeld can do a bit of gloating in the US now, being as his plan seems to have worked.

I just hope that US-UK forces will put a complete stop to all the looting soon, and return the cities to some semblance of order so that the restructuring can begin successfully...

And being the optimist that I am, I hope that Iraq will [be allowed to] continue to sell its oil denominated in Euros :D

Glad to see you around again Jais - I hope you're having a good time in Spain matey :thumbsup:

*goes back to keeping watch over this place for you*
 ZBomber
04-11-2003, 10:46 AM
I kinda laughed when they took down the Saddam statue. Die mother******! :D

Anyway, I don't think its exactly over. The war won't be over for alittle longer (as I see it, atleast), but we are almost there. :)
 obi
04-11-2003, 10:51 AM
Guys, I know you've been watching the news and whatnot, and seeing the statues of Saddam fall. But, amidst all of this joy, we should pause and think:

Somewhere in Iraq, there is a very lonely sculpturer who worked VERY hard on that statue. Poor guy. :(

(Yes, I am a BIG The Daily Show fan. :D )
 Darth Groovy
04-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Yeah, he was most likely threatened within an inch of his life. His life was probably the award for his work. I bet even he/she is glad it got destroyed.

Anyways, no, the war is not over yet. They still have Tikrit, which I personally believe will be a blood bath, either for the Iraqis, or the Coalition, or both. So please, do not light up any victory cigars or count your blessings yet.

I for one, am hoping and praying for an ending as soon as possible. I have a very special girl I am in love with that leaves for ARMY basic training in the fall. Her initial enlistment is four years. As a former military person myself(USN, 5 years), I have supported her decision since the day I met her. When I first met her, she informed me of her plans of Joining the ARMY and finishing college after that, and I never disputed it. She is very proud, and kind of stubborn, but her heart is truly in it all the way. I support her decision, but I also worry about never seeing her again. (this one is a keeper if you catch my drift)

I started smoking the day the war broke out, I have vowed to stop when I hear official word that the war is finally over. Hopefully Bush, will not persue any further military action in the middle east, else I will die of lung cancer...

We will see what happens next...
 Thrackan Solo
04-11-2003, 3:55 PM
when they pulled the statue down it looked like a mold. He makes so many they have a statue making factory or somethin...:)
it looked like plastic and it was hollow
 Reborn Outcast
04-11-2003, 5:49 PM
C'jais is this the first time I have seen you support the war? :D ;)

Yes, I am glad its over.
 El Sitherino
04-11-2003, 6:35 PM
he isnt supporting the war but the ending of it. he is glad that noone else has to die there. but now for bad news. it has been said recently that american troops will be making their way toward the syrian border. i believe they are going to declare war on the entire middle east.:(
 TheHobGoblin
04-11-2003, 8:01 PM
There are still some things left to do. I loved it when the statue was going down. Anyone saw the little kid smacking the head with his shoes while chasing the head?
 Thrackan Solo
04-11-2003, 8:37 PM
yes it brought tears of joy to my eyes...*sniffle* funny
 daring dueler
04-11-2003, 9:08 PM
the war isnt over, sure weve made great advances towards winning which we will, but we still have to push deep inside to areas to seek and destroy the weapons of mass destruction that he most surely has.and the operation will last much longer than the war.
 Rad707_Pandaz
04-12-2003, 1:27 AM
Don't you think it's kind of ironic that 3 weeks ago, other countries didn't support the US at all, but now, they support us alot more. It's also ironic that 3 weeks ago, people were calling George Bush an idiot, but now, people are calling him a hero. The democrats kept trying to make Bush look bad, but now, they're praising him. It's also funny that anti-war protestors who jumped off bridges, attacked the US embassy, and (overall) blocked traffic are now Pro-War, or at least more supportive of the war.

It just goes to show you, some people just don't know how the hell to think. All the people who had faith in the president in the first place are now saying "We told you so!" to the other people.

No offense but...did we just turn the Iraqis into looters? That's kinda cool. The Iraqis actually have some freedom now.
 Eldritch
04-12-2003, 1:34 AM
Originally posted by Reborn Outcast
I think he's just glad that the war ended with a minimal loss of life (relatively speaking, for a war). I'm glad it's over too.

And Pandaz, I still think Bush is an idiot. If anything, the fact that we've found so little evidence of him having Weapons of Mass Destruction proves the fact that going into Iraq under the pretext of disarming them was fabricated.
 Darth Groovy
04-12-2003, 1:44 AM
Originally posted by Rad707_Pandaz
Don't you think it's kind of ironic that 3 weeks ago, other countries didn't support the US at all, but now, they support us alot more. It's also ironic that 3 weeks ago, people were calling George Bush an idiot, but now, people are calling him a hero. The democrats kept trying to make Bush look bad, but now, they're praising him. It's also funny that anti-war protestors who jumped off bridges, attacked the US embassy, and (overall) blocked traffic are now Pro-War, or at least more supportive of the war.

It just goes to show you, some people just don't know how the hell to think. All the people who had faith in the president in the first place are now saying "We told you so!" to the other people.

No offense but...did we just turn the Iraqis into looters? That's kinda cool. The Iraqis actually have some freedom now.

Yep, everyone wants to be on the side that is winning.;)
 Eldritch
04-12-2003, 1:47 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
Yep, everyone wants to be on the side that is winning.;)
Also known as the "band wagon." :D
 Luc Solar
04-12-2003, 4:44 AM
Did I misread some of these posts or are Americans now thinking that the whole world has suddenly decided to treat Bush as a Hero and Liberator?

That's like... like... umm... NOT TRUE.

Let's not confuse things: Everyone's happy that the war seems to be "over", but that does not mean that Bush is a great man and a Hero in everyone's eyes.

These are interesting times. Will the US army go around planting American flags all over Bushtown (formerly known as Baghdad) and appoint a few generals to run the country and make sure all oil fields are sold to the US? Will the reconstruction be done solely by US companies who get paid by selling Iraqi oil?

And let's not forget the reason why the whole war started. What was the sole reason? Here's the SOLE reason: Iraq has a massive amount of WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION, which they hid from the weapon inspectors. That's why the war started. Iraq has WOMDS and therefore must be disarmed.

What if no weapons are found? Seriously: what if? That means there is STILL NO PROOF of WOMDS and this whole "attacking another country" idea was based on a lie.

Sure, we already have an explanation: "well...umm... they must have like... made the WOMD's invisible or..OR HIDDEN THEM IN SOME OTHER EVIL COUNTRY! Yeah!"

Who's next in line to be "liberated"? ;) But seriously - what the hell is going on over there?!

Check this out! (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96930) )

I'm getting a really bad vibe. Freedom Fries... right to attack anyone who is deemed to be a possible threat... screw the UN ... arrest people for an indefinite time without a warning or any sort of proof whatsoever. :disaprove
 TheHobGoblin
04-12-2003, 7:39 PM
Let's not confuse things: Everyone's happy that the war seems to be "over", but that does not mean that Bush is a great man and a Hero in everyone's eyes.

That's what you believe, but others believe he is, I believe also.

These are interesting times. Will the US army go around planting American flags all over Bushtown (formerly known as Baghdad) and appoint a few generals to run the country and make sure all oil fields are sold to the US? Will the reconstruction be done solely by US companies who get paid by selling Iraqi oil?

It's still called Baghdad on the map. They're planting american flags along with Iraqi flags to show we are now allies. The U.S isn't going to runn Iraq. The People of Iraq are. The oil selling will go as it normally did.

And let's not forget the reason why the whole war started. What was the sole reason? Here's the SOLE reason: Iraq has a massive amount of WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION, which they hid from the weapon inspectors. That's why the war started. Iraq has WOMDS and therefore must be disarmed.
We found a chemical facilety, Warheads with traces of nerve gas, as Reborn said, harmeful chemicals in bottles in multiple homes. Some trailer houses with chemical items in it. Also mind you the U.S army found it not the Weapon Inspectors.

Who's next in line to be "liberated"? But seriously - what the hell is going on over there?!
Nobody else is going to be liberated. Saying that makes you sound like you under your bed with a hard helmet on and a walky talky, constantly looking above you.

I'm getting a really bad vibe. Freedom Fries... right to attack anyone who is deemed to be a possible threat... screw the UN ... arrest people for an indefinite time without a warning or any sort of proof whatsoever.
That I haven't heard about anywhere else so I think it's made up.
 Weapon X
04-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
Yeah, he was most likely threatened within an inch of his life. His life was probably the award for his work. I bet even he/she is glad it got destroyed.

Anyways, no, the war is not over yet. They still have Tikrit, which I personally believe will be a blood bath, either for the Iraqis, or the Coalition, or both. So please, do not light up any victory cigars or count your blessings yet.

I for one, am hoping and praying for an ending as soon as possible. I have a very special girl I am in love with that leaves for ARMY basic training in the fall. Her initial enlistment is four years. As a former military person myself(USN, 5 years), I have supported her decision since the day I met her. When I first met her, she informed me of her plans of Joining the ARMY and finishing college after that, and I never disputed it. She is very proud, and kind of stubborn, but her heart is truly in it all the way. I support her decision, but I also worry about never seeing her again. (this one is a keeper if you catch my drift)

I started smoking the day the war broke out, I have vowed to stop when I hear official word that the war is finally over. Hopefully Bush, will not persue any further military action in the middle east, else I will die of lung cancer...

We will see what happens next...

you're all blind, groovy's the only one who remembers that tikrit is still a target, i didn't read all the posts, but enough to say that you all apparently seem to know nothing about this war to say it's over when it truthfully isn't, i have a strong feeling, though, tikrit will be no harder than baghdad. i saw that 15,000 troops (whether they were the Iraqi "Special Forces" or not i don't know) surrendered to us. stuff like that happening has to kill the morale of the Iraqi troops and boost our a BUNCH. when it's over i hope my buddies get some time rest and recover, it'd be nice to see them again real soon

one kid i know got shot in the foot :mad:....that's gotta hurt like a.......
 Darth Groovy
04-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by ep2 Anakin
i have a strong feeling, though, tikrit will be no harder than baghdad. i saw that 15,000 troops (whether they were the Iraqi "Special Forces" or not i don't know) surrendered to us.

I really hope you are right. Seeing Brent Saddler and his crew getting shot at, Live on CNN, has changed my mind.

Tikrit will be a bloodbath. Either for Iraqis, the Coalition, or both.

I want it too end as soon as possible.
 Thrackan Solo
04-13-2003, 1:25 PM
Did anyone hear that France is telling the US not to pressure Syria to hand over Saddam's men, what are they thinking? I think France has reached there point of irrelevance. There credibility is shot.
 griff38
04-13-2003, 2:20 PM
Originally posted by Thrackan Solo
Did anyone hear that France is telling the US not to pressure Syria to hand over Saddam's men, what are they thinking? I think France has reached there point of irrelevance. There credibility is shot.

What about Canada? They have warships in the gulf and have intercepted Iraqis escaping. Washington has demanded they turn them over asap. Canada has refused. (not indefinitley just till they figure out who they are)

Richard Pearle has said that because of this Canada is not a good ally and will face punitive action. (although the White House is playing it down) I guess anybody who disagrees with the US is irrelevant now?
 ZBomber
04-13-2003, 2:44 PM
Originally posted by griff38
What about Canada? They have warships in the gulf and have intercepted Iraqis escaping. Washington has demanded they turn them over asap. Canada has refused. (not indefinitley just till they figure out who they are)

Richard Pearle has said that because of this Canada is not a good ally and will face punitive action. (although the White House is playing it down) I guess anybody who disagrees with the US is irrelevant now?

Kinda off-topic, but I'm curious... why do you all ways put a thumbs up, even when its a bad thing? I mean, I look at one of your threads, and it says like: "10 Americans killed! *thumbs up*" :p
 C'jais
04-13-2003, 2:47 PM
Originally posted by Reborn Outcast

Well.

As I've stated at least a few hundred times by now, I'm definately for the war if we looked at Iraq as an isolated incident in quarantine from the rest of the world, so that the US could go in, free those people, and nobody would ever hear about the "moral" reasons.

And of course, if I didn't suspect something like 9/11 would ever happen again.

It will, dammit. USA is not going to last forever as a superpower. Don't shorten the life expectancy of your now-glorious nation anymore than necessary.

Then again, I might be totally wrong. Maybe Iraq will turn into a rich, welfaring democracy like mine and maybe the world will continue on its steady course.

Maybe it'll get blown completely off track for a while by this - who really knows?
 Thrackan Solo
04-13-2003, 2:51 PM
I'm not saying that anyone who disagrees with the US is irrelevant. Its just that we are not going to stop military action just because France says not to. France goes were the money is, just yesterday they tried to get in on the Iraqi reconstruction. The only reason that France didnt want the war is because they had oil deals with Saddam, and now that Kurdish forces have occupied northern oilfields, the Kurds have said that they wont give any oil to France, so the French government isnt cooperating.
They sway there loyalty from side to side. They have know integrity and they havent accepted the fact that they ARE irrelevant to the United States decisions.
 C'jais
04-13-2003, 3:16 PM
Originally posted by Thrackan Solo
Its just that we are not going to stop military action just because France says not to.

On the other hand, the rest of the world is going to stop military action just because you say no.

Israel, man, Israel.

France goes were the money is

So does the f*ckin' US of bloody A, man.

Do you seriously believe they went in there just because they wanted to free an opressed people?

As Wedge2211 posted (http://www.amconmag.com/04_7_03/cover.html), the US could go in and free millions of people. What's making Iraq so special? Oil? Another middle eastern ally to strenghen the US presence over there? A family feud between the Bush and the Hussein? Who knows, but it definately isn't as simple as a heroic military salvation.

Mind you, I'm not saying that France isn't following the money. I'm saying that everybody does that - your country is not an exception here in any way whatsoever.

just yesterday they tried to get in on the Iraqi reconstruction.

I wonder why.

Maybe it's because USA has got the bright idea of letting Iraq's oil supply pay for all the damage.

As Vuk's said, it goes like this: In an apartment there's several people living, and one ugly motherf*cker that scares everyone. So the police takes action and busts the guy, but in the process, does the same to the apartment and people living there. Now, to pay for all that, the police decides to sell all the furniture to pay for the damage caused in apprehending the bastard.

Not good. The UN needs to have a say in this.

They have know integrity and they havent accepted the fact that they ARE irrelevant to the United States decisions.

Is my country relevant the United State's decisions? Germany? Russia? Sweden? Europe?
 Bonedemon
04-14-2003, 10:52 AM
Besides, if the US wanted to bring liberty to the world, why didnґt it start with Africa? Thereґs a bunch of dictators a poor people and some rather lausy armies if the US wanted to use itґs military at all.
On the non war side; the budget for the war on Iraq is enough to prevent starving deaths comparible to 100 years of Saddam tyranny. Why didnґt the US just do that? I mean, then no soldiers had to die, no families with sons or fathers in bodybags, and no hundreds of casualties.

Iґm still against the war. The terrorists created by the attack are still out there and The USs overstretched budget is going to pay more to get them after this war than they had to before they attacked.
 Luc Solar
04-14-2003, 1:31 PM
I just saw on the news that Tikris has fallen.

The war seems to be over, people. Thank god.

2.000 Iraqis signed up for "police-duty" in Baghdad so that they can put an end to the looting.

They're already sending troops home. The ones that stay (for now) are not fighting, but trying to keep things under control.

Let's hope Saddam does not have any surprises left.
 TheHobGoblin
04-14-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Luc Solar
I just saw on the news that Tikris has fallen.

The war seems to be over, people. Thank god.

2.000 Iraqis signed up for "police-duty" in Baghdad so that they can put an end to the looting.

They're already sending troops home. The ones that stay (for now) are not fighting, but trying to keep things under control.

Let's hope Saddam does not have any surprises left.
Well if this is really the end of the war. Some end eh?
Iraq , I hope will do alot better with a new government.
Page: 1 of 1