Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Orchestral Remix my (scissor)Hand

Page: 1 of 1
 elTee
04-08-2003, 7:14 PM
I doubt any of you will either have noticed this, or be able to prove it or disprove it for yourself, OR EVEN CARE - but I noticed something just now.
The absolutely amazing, brilliant orchestral remix of the tunnel music in Monkey Island 2 from Highland Productions (http://highland.mixnmojo.com/) is extremely similar to Danny Elfmans Edward Scissorhands theme music. I didn't notice it from the midi, and its only a co-incidence anyway, but if you have half a chance then compare the two, like I just did. They both have slow dreamy bits in the middle, that sound very very alike.
 Alien426
04-09-2003, 1:58 AM
You mean the bell part? Well if I can remember correctly (and I'm a fan of Elfman music and LOVE the Underground Tunnels Orchestral Remix, so I should remember) it isn't all that much similar except for a short piece.
But I'll listen more closely and back-to-back anyways.
 telarium
04-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the kind words, guys! As for the similarities, I actually couldn't say. I've never seen Edward Sissorhands or heard the score, but I admit there is probably a bit of an Elfman-esque quality to it.

Personally, I think it's more of a Carter Burwell-esque score. The flute/sleigh bells part at the end was definitely inspired from a piece of music found in Being John Malkovich.
 elTee
04-10-2003, 6:31 PM
I'll upload the bits I mean over the easter holiday to show you. There is a similarity, but its not overwhelming or anything.
 Laserschwert
04-20-2003, 8:43 AM
Oh, by the way, Telarium... are you going to do some more remixes from MI2's soundtrack? I'm not asking just because I want to, but because you HAVE TO! Right now I am trying to MP3ify the MI2 soundtrack myself, and it's quite all right, I think. But yours are more than just all right... so... what do you say? Do I have to get violent with you? I'm not kidding... well, a little bit, but the thing about me wanting more MI2-MP3s is the truth...

By the way, if you are interested in some of the MP3s I made just check out the fan-music section of The Scumm Bar (http://www.scummbar.com/community/fanmusic/) ... mine are the ones next to "Jan" (because that somehow is my name).

And if you're still interested (whyever that would be), check out THIS (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97581) post, concerning my self-made "Sam & Max Hit the Road"-soundtrack... sorry for promoting myself, and driving this thread into off-topicness...

And Telarium, what synths or soundbanks are you using? Any tips on usable orchestral soundfonts or so? Anyway, I'll better get going now, before I get thrown at with garbage...
 telarium
04-21-2003, 10:22 PM
Thanks. I am planning on doing some more MI2 stuff in the future. In the past, I used soundfonts that I put together myself, but I'm currently in the process of collecting very large and very expensive gigasamples to use instead. I think it will be a lot of work, but not as limiting as soundfonts.
 elTee
04-23-2003, 6:46 PM
Hey Tel, could you do the woodtick theme sometime? I mean, if you do some more and can't think of a tune :)
 telarium
04-24-2003, 7:12 PM
Jake has often begged me to do the Woodtick music... and I'd love to. However, it would be really difficult. I think the percussion would be the biggest problem, because the drums in the original version are really weird and not realistic. If I had the resources, I'd want to get a real drummer to provide percussion quality similar to that found in CMI or EMI... or get some high quality drum loops. I have yet to find any drum loops that would work, though.
 elTee
04-24-2003, 9:28 PM
Here we go: finally, the comparison mp3's.
Edward Scissorhands Excerpt (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/random/esexcerpt.mp3)
Telariums' Orchestral Re-Mix Excerpt (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/random/mi2excerpt.mp3)
I hope some of you find it interesting; I know that the section that is similar isn't very long, but I must have just remembered this part very well, because that's how I noticed. Anyway, its an interesting point.

As for woodtick... well, I could wait for years if I knew that the final result was going to be anywhere near the standard of the tunnels re-mix. If you know anything about writing music for drums, I have a friend who could get the recordings made for you. It would take a while, but its entirely foesable - he does music and music technology at college, and there is all the equipment imaginable there. Some of his mates do drums, so it could be arranged I guess. Let me know if you want me to give him this little task :)
 telarium
04-28-2003, 2:08 PM
I think it would be more difficult to get someone else to record the drum tracks because of getting the tempo and drum fills to match. I'd rather use drum loops, but I can't find any that are just straight rock beats like those found in CMI or EMI. Most seem to be metal or techno. If anyone finds some, let me know where I can find them.
 Laserschwert
04-28-2003, 3:29 PM
Yeah, damn thatTechno-MagixMusikMaker-BoomBoom-crap...

But if you're going with Giga-samples, wouldn't it be "good enough" to use Giga-drums? I mean, after all, loops are samples just as much as synth-banks are...
 Alien426
04-28-2003, 4:11 PM
Originally posted by LucasTones
I know that the section that is similar isn't very long
Yes, now I see that it's actually not just the bells, but that staccato string part in the background. Quite alike!
 telarium
04-28-2003, 6:36 PM
Originally posted by Laserschwert
Yeah, damn thatTechno-MagixMusikMaker-BoomBoom-crap...

But if you're going with Giga-samples, wouldn't it be "good enough" to use Giga-drums? I mean, after all, loops are samples just as much as synth-banks are...

Giga-drums don't sound as real in my opinion. But regardless, you still have to find MIDI files of straight rock beats. I've found very few up to this point, and even those aren't all that good.
 Laserschwert
04-29-2003, 9:44 AM
Why FIND drum-loops in MIDI format, when you can MAKE them yourself? After all, they are still loops, so you just have to create small passages...
 telarium
04-29-2003, 12:48 PM
Because I don't know enough about drums to create loops. Besides, even if I did, performing drum loops on a keyboard and recording them in MIDI would probably sound really fake and synthetic.
 Jake
04-29-2003, 2:47 PM
(trapezoid)
 telarium
04-29-2003, 5:40 PM
Someone bring me Trapezoid!
 elTee
04-29-2003, 9:21 PM
Is Trapezoid still around?? I've missed him. If he's still here, I've embarrassed myself now.
 Laserschwert
05-01-2003, 7:47 AM
I haven't seen him around here for a while, but I see him on the AGS-boards (http://www.agsforums.com) occasionally. His Animutation (http://www.animutation.com/) site however seems to be down...
Page: 1 of 1