Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Fixing the Stormtroopers

Page: 1 of 1
 g-blatt
04-08-2003, 1:35 PM
I've always noticed some thing weird about the the Stormtroopers in JO (I think it's the helmets) and I'm wondering if you guys are going to fix them for the DF Mod.

The Stormtroopers in the Films:
http://www.episode-x.com/galleries/EpisodeV/Use/Use/Stormtroopers.jpg)

The Stormtroopers in the Game:
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/screens/7.jpg)
 The_One
04-08-2003, 2:01 PM
Perhaps this is what you were thinking:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94402)

If not, what is wrong?
 g-blatt
04-09-2003, 11:01 AM
No I think there's something wrong about the entire shape of the helmet, look closely at the pics above and I think you'll see what I mean.
 t3rr0r
04-09-2003, 6:46 PM
the main thing i can see is that the jo stormtroopers have fat heads.
 The_One
04-11-2003, 7:11 AM
Maybe you're right, they do look different. But let's finish the models we have to make from scratch first, before worrying about fiddling with "completed" models :)
 chris the cynic
04-11-2003, 5:17 PM
When you do get around to it (fiddling), the Gamorrean's head and Boba's head also seem too fat.
 Silent_Thunder
04-13-2003, 4:47 PM
I think the problem with the Stormtrooper helmets in JO is that they're too large on the top (or too small on the bottom..) If you look at the Stormtroopers in the movies; the helmets seem to taper more at the top, and the "gas mask" area on the bottom is much wider.

Also, I don't think the Gamorean (?) Guard's head is too big. I think his body is too small. If you look at pigs in DF you will see they're REALLY wide ;p.
 chris the cynic
04-14-2003, 3:46 PM
I think the head is too large and the body is too small.
 g-blatt
08-26-2003, 6:37 AM
Hay kooll man!!! I was looking at the new up-dates and I saw you fixed the problem.

for people to lazy to find the shot I'm posting it here:
http://darkforces.jediknightii.net/screenshots/models/player/stroop00.jpg)

Not only do we get the head fixed we got a lot other fixes + all new textures!!!, WOW!!!! Thanks so much, this has been buging me since I first got the game! :trooper:
 The Cheat
08-26-2003, 8:52 AM
yeah hapslash is an accuracy freak so you can be sure all the models and skins for this mod will be sickly accurate
 TK-8252
08-26-2003, 3:17 PM
Here's a topic that I know about, I think the problem with the JO (AND JA!!!) Stormtrooper is that it is mirrored so it is perfectly the same on both sides. That and the helmet is exteremly mis-shapen. It is too fat, and has NO EARS. Plus, it doesn't have much of those tubes on the sides.
 Emon
08-26-2003, 4:57 PM
Uh, not really TK. You exaggerate a lot. It's not all mirrored, and you act as if the head is some misfigured lump of ****. It's pretty accurate, not as good as Hap's but better than most other SW games.
 TK-8252
08-26-2003, 6:39 PM
It IS mirrored, Emon. If you open the pk3, you can see that only half of the entire Stormtrooper is in the texture files. I think that the Stormtrooper from JK/MotS is better.
 Infinity Blade
08-26-2003, 9:18 PM
Yeah.. it's pretty much all mirrored. "Technically" it's not.... The center piece on his butt and his backplate aren't mirrored, but to be honest they might as well have been.

I don't really mind the JO trooper that much, but I agree I that some parts (like the head) are a little odd in shape....

Kind of like what you would find on a crappy Hasbro 12" figure. :D

Long live Marmit!!!

P.S. - For those that don't know what I mean by Marmit, here's a little gem of Hap's. It's alot more expensive than Hasbro's figure, and isn't exactly a "toy" per se... but still. :D

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/marmit-trooper.jpg)
 HapSlash
08-27-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Emon
Uh, not really TK. You exaggerate a lot. It's not all mirrored, and you act as if the head is some misfigured lump of ****. Yeah,... it's completely mirrored with the exception of the back of his torso. I've redone the textures so that the chest, abdomen, thighs, and shins will no longer be mirrored, but the rest of it is virtually the same as it was before.

I always thought that the JO helmet looked like some misfigured lump of ****, that's why I started to remodel it.
:dev7:

But to be honest it's not like I'm starting from scratch, They did do a passable job with it. I just think they should have had someone more familiar with Star Wars take a look at it before going ahead with it. Especially considering it's your main enemy for a lot of the game.
 Katarn07
08-27-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Infinity Blade
Yeah.. it's pretty much all mirrored. "Technically" it's not.... The center piece on his butt and his backplate aren't mirrored, but to be honest they might as well have been.

I don't really mind the JO trooper that much, but I agree I that some parts (like the head) are a little odd in shape....

Kind of like what you would find on a crappy Hasbro 12" figure. :D

Long live Marmit!!!

P.S. - For those that don't know what I mean by Marmit, here's a little gem of Hap's. It's alot more expensive than Hasbro's figure, and isn't exactly a "toy" per se... but still. :D

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/marmit-trooper.jpg)

Haha, I always disliked Hasbro's stormtrooper head and yes, the JO one is very much like it. I hope Raven wasn't using them as a reference :p I know of Marmits but they are so much money I never looked into them. I didn't realize the head was redone :)

Umm, the legs on the JO stormtrooper are not mirrored. The shin guards have the appropriate different tops to them ;)
 TK-8252
08-27-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by HapSlash
Yeah,... it's completely mirrored with the exception of the back of his torso. I've redone the textures so that the chest, abdomen, thighs, and shins will no longer be mirrored, but the rest of it is virtually the same as it was before.

I always thought that the JO helmet looked like some misfigured lump of ****, that's why I started to remodel it.
:dev7:

But to be honest it's not like I'm starting from scratch, They did do a passable job with it. I just think they should have had someone more familiar with Star Wars take a look at it before going ahead with it. Especially considering it's your main enemy for a lot of the game.

HA! From the big guy himself! Told you I know about this issue. Don't question a Stormtrooper when he's talking about his uniform.
 HapSlash
08-27-2003, 1:06 AM
Originally posted by Katarn07
Umm, the legs on the JO stormtrooper are not mirrored. The shin guards have the appropriate different tops to them ;)

The tops of the shin guards and the bottom of the leg plates are seperate pieces. And while these modeled pieces are different, the rest of them are identical and use the same texture.
 TK-8252
08-27-2003, 3:38 AM
I'm sorry for going off topic but, did Emon really get banned? Doesn't seem like he's the kind of person to get banned...
 The Count
08-27-2003, 12:39 PM
Emon banned? Thats strange; its probably just a glitch or something has gone wrong with the forums; if he does complain about something he is usually justified in doing so. He always seems to be keeping it real.
 TK-8252
08-27-2003, 6:15 PM
Just look at his profile, it says "banned" all over it. I searched for all of his posts and found nothing against the rules and no edits by moderators in his latest posts. I would be pretty upset if they banned me by mistake.
Page: 1 of 1